can you date your brothers ex wife

Options

Replies

• sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    if its a situation where you'd have two titles (uncle AND dad, in this case) then i'd say NO.
  • _Ivian
    _Ivian Posts: 198
    Options
    Negative Ghost Rider!
  • rockchalk03
    Options
    No, no, no!
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Bros Before Hoes literally.
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Nope, unless your brother is dead....and then I think it is expected in certain cultures. :noway:
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    "This is my uncle... Wait, no, my step-dad... wait, no, my uncle..."

Spare the kid the years of therapy.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Wow....after all of the crap that she had to go through with your brother....Why in the world would that woman even look at another male from your family?Messy...Messy!
  • rosiepor
    rosiepor Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You should be asking your brother! But I say no.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Danger Will Robinson! Danger!
  • mary_kate23
    mary_kate23 Posts: 156
    Options
    so would you be his uncle or step dad? also, would any children that come from this be the existing child's sibling or cousin? too much drama for something that may not pan out well.. i'd stay away. but that's just me.. everyone is entitled to their own opinions and needs, so if this makes you happy and you don't mind upsetting the entirety of a family, then go for it.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Well.....

my biological father is currently married to one of his brother's exes, but I don't think the brother and her were ever married, I think they were just dating, though they do have several children together. Sooo....now my cousin is also my step-brother? WTF?

I'm not very close with that side of my family so I'm enough removed from it to say whatever makes him happy, as long as the brother doesn't care. But from an outside perspective, that's just gross.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It depends completely on your family dynamics. In some families that is a non-issue. They don't care. In other families it is something completely wrong. So, based on this post alone, I'm guessing that your family is probably one of the latter or you wouldn't be asking our opinion. How willing are you to deal with the strife this may cause in your family? Even if you (and the ex-wife) never see your brother, what about how your mother's feelings? This is something you have to decide on your own and not rely on a forum to answer for you.
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    no I wouldn't advise it. it would cause a lot of problems in the end.
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    No.
  • MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Options
    Dear Redneck,

I am a depraved individual & even I think this is a stupid idea.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    The heart wants what it wants, as the great Woody Allen once said. Stranger things have happened. Give it a try - if it works out, then anybody who matters in your life will accept it. If it doesn't, you can just never mention it.

The fact that you're quoting WOODY ALLEN...............................nothing more need be said. Woody Allen porked his DAUGHTER. :noway:

This is a huge NO WAY.
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not in this lifetime. Besides, your brother divorced her pretty quick. Must be a reason.
    She might have divorced him because he is such a loser.. doesn't take care of his kid now probably didn't then either...
  • Flugangst
    Flugangst Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in such a thing as "Dating rules." Rules in which "You can't so and so, we used to date!" etc, etc. That's middle school/high school bull****. You can date whomever you want. It's nobody's business but your own. I say go for it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The heart wants what it wants, as the great Woody Allen once said.
    Not the best example, maybe.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Can you? Sure you can. Should you? Depends on how selfish you are.

If you are only concerned for your happiness & hers, then go for it.

If you want the kid to grow up with an ounce of respect for you or his mother & give a crap about what your brother/parents/other family members think of you, you may want to rein it in a bit. It's not just you involved here.

The mature thing to do would be to consider the effects of such a decision on EVERYONE involved, & if you agree that those effects are undesirable, you will accept that simply wanting something isn't a good enough reason to pursue it. Best of luck.