can you date your brothers ex wife

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Wow....after all of the crap that she had to go through with your brother....Why in the world would that woman even look at another male from your family?Messy...Messy!
    My husband has 3 brothers and they're all VERY, VERY different from each other. I wouldn't have touched two of my brother in laws with ten foot poles, so you can't necessarily use that as a measurement of someone's relationship worthiness...
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Don't stone her to death.

I don't know what I'd do in your situation.

But I can second this, a solid piece of advice!
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    I would say no or else speak to your brother first and if he is agreeable then yea go for it. But stop and think first how confusing this would be on your brothers children, not to mention if you and her are going to have children again.

However does she really love you or is she trying to get back at your brother?

I honestly think you know what you are going to do yourself but just wanted reassurance from someone else. No matter if you hate your brother or get on with him you NEED to sit down and discuss the matter openly and without this girl nearby. Just don't do something that you will regret later. In all fairness blood is thicker than water and don't let someone come between your family, believe me, its not worth it for lustful feelings
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Your brother sounds like the type that would not consent to the relationship...so I say give it a try.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Two words - 'Uncle Daddy'

Oh this so reaks of...

Many, many years ago when I was twenty-three I was married to a widow who was pretty as could be This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red My father fell in love with her and soon they too were wed
    This made my dad my son-in-law and really changed my life For now my daughter was my mother, 'cause she was my father's wife And to complicate the matter, even though it brought me joy I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy
    My little baby then became a brother-in-law to dad And so became my uncle, though it made me very sad For if he were my uncle, then that also made him brother Of the widow's grownup daughter, who was of course my step-mother
    Father's wife then had a son who kept them on the run And he became my grandchild, for he was my daughter's son My wife is now my mother's mother and it makes me blue Because although she is my wife, she's my grandmother too
    Now if my wife is my grandmother, then I'm her grandchild And every time I think of it, it nearly drives me wild 'Cause now I have become the strangest 'case you ever saw As husband of my grandmother, I am my own grandpa
    I'm my own grandpa, I'm my own grandpa It sounds funny, I know but it really is so I'm my own grandpa
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    yeah they did divorce for a reason.. they where both in the air force and when SHE was deployed to iraq he cheated on her

Okay, I was going to say a big ole no, but reading this it seems like your brother is the **** and if you don't talk to him and he doesn't talk to her, it would be better for your nephew to have an uncle as a father figure than some random guy. I would recommend taking things VERY slow though...get to know each other well. Yeah, it might be confusing at first but I work with a girl who has a nephew that is a few months younger than her because her dad is his grandpa or however that works. It takes all sorts to make families!
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Hey, go for it. I mean, in biblical times you'd probably have been obliged to marry her, or stone her to death. Not really sure which one applies.

Don't stone her to death.

This made me laugh! Taking her out for a drink to see if you actually have a chance does not mean you hate your brother! If the rest of your family seems okay with it and you are obviously wanting to, then who am I to say no. I'd say go slow and make sure everyone involved is cool with where things are going.
  • gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293
    I have heard of worse scenerios. Heck, I used to live with my ex brother-in-laws ex wife and I'm not even from Kentucky! :bigsmile:

Sounds like you and your brother aren't close to make it an issue. Follow your heart.
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    So you are going to play Uncle and Step daddy??? UH NO WAY! totally off limits. that is just too weird. there are many other women in this world... maybe if they didn't have a kid this would be semi ok if you asked his permission or how he would feel but how do you explain that to the child? does the kid now call you dad even though you are really his uncle? strange.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    I would never pursue a relationship that sounds complicated from the get go. There are just too many fish in the sea my friend.....keep fishin!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    :drinker:
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    My wife's best friend was dating her (now husband)'s cousin when they met. Her husband and his cousin were living together and she left the cousin to be with he husband...i'm sure it's a little odd a family gatherings, but they're happy and after 10+yrs no one seems to even think twice of it....my opinion...still weird, but hey...stranger things have happened.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I find it interesting that so many people are focused mainly on the fact that your relationship to the child wouldn't fit a certain label.
  • gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293

Oh this so reaks of...

Many, many years ago when I was twenty-three I was married to a widow who was pretty as could be This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red My father fell in love with her and soon they too were wed
    This made my dad my son-in-law and really changed my life For now my daughter was my mother, 'cause she was my father's wife And to complicate the matter, even though it brought me joy I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy
    My little baby then became a brother-in-law to dad And so became my uncle, though it made me very sad For if he were my uncle, then that also made him brother Of the widow's grownup daughter, who was of course my step-mother
    Father's wife then had a son who kept them on the run And he became my grandchild, for he was my daughter's son My wife is now my mother's mother and it makes me blue Because although she is my wife, she's my grandmother too
    Now if my wife is my grandmother, then I'm her grandchild And every time I think of it, it nearly drives me wild 'Cause now I have become the strangest 'case you ever saw As husband of my grandmother, I am my own grandpa
    I'm my own grandpa, I'm my own grandpa It sounds funny, I know but it really is so I'm my own grandpa
    You either know that polka, or you are the guy I was stationed with!!
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Sorry but it just ain't right! There's plenty of fish in the sea! Find one your brother hasn't slept with.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Why not? The world needs more Uncle Daddies.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member

Oh this so reaks of...

You either know that polka, or you are the guy I was stationed with!!

Don't think its a polka... it's Ray Stevens.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    I find it interesting that so many people are focused mainly on the fact that your relationship to the child wouldn't fit a certain label.
    Same here...especially since the OP noted that his brother hasn't seen the kid in years and doesn't pay child support. I'm guessing he could use a father figure at this point, and so what if its technically his uncle? Its not like they broke up last week and the brother is devasated over losing his wife...doesn't seem like that big of a deal in today's society (there are much worse situations out there).
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member

Oh this so reaks of...

OMG i love this song. Thanks for the trip down memory road. I think my coworkes all think im crazy because i started humming this....LOL im still dieing.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    I just can't picture the whole thing. If my mother and father divorced and then my mother married my uncle? I'd go ape *kitten*.

This guy has a choice and asked everyone to respond. Seems most think it's a bad idea, but I don't think he wants those type answers. He wants opinions to coincide with his, which is fine too. We don't have to live in his world.

Good luck with that!