Online dating??

Options

Replies

• sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    have you tried myfitnesspal.com?

LOL OMG this is sooo funny.....no one has tried to get at me like that on here so for, maybe after my weightloss or if I post more pics or something perhaps....id love to date a fitness fanatic or someone who is trying to be healthly.....

But I use online dating becasue I really dont get out much unless it is work or the gym these days.....Im actually kind of tired of it because of the creeps....so I have deleted accounts on 2 sites and just keeping it to one....I have been advised that the ones you pay for are better I just am afraid Im going to pay and still get the same bull...its like maybe I should have tried to paid ones first.....

I do understand that becasue it is free....you have to weed out a lot....the thing that helps me is that I set my standards and stick to them Im meeting less and less in person but Im in no rush....
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I used PlentyofFish and eHarmony and then got talked into Zoosk and OKCupid. They all have ups and downs. I met a few guys who have become good friends, a few who were just crazy and a few pervs. I got sick of not finding anyone I'd truly like to have a real relationship with and started deactivating everything.
    I logged onto eHarmony to delete my account after a year (for which I paid) because I only got matched with people out of state or locals with nothing in common. I hadn't been online in a while, so there were a lot of new matches. Figuring I'd get a good chuckle, I checked them out. Lo and behold, there was an actual candidate there. He seemed too good to be true so I sent him a message, figuring nothing would come of it. He replied, we started talking, he asked me out and we've been dating for 4 months.

My advice would just be to be VERY careful with what personal information you share, especially before you meet them. I always met them somewhere well lit and crowded - there was no way they were picking me up and knowing where I lived or getting me alone in their car.

Good luck!!! :smile:
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I met my wife online using PIRCH, (chat room)
    back in 1997. We were married in 1998, have
    an 8 year old, and another due in September.

We got married on top of a swimming pool covered
    in plexi-glass, by a DJ that became an ordained
    minister named Omelette. I think Toast was there
    as well.

14 years later, she's my rock!
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    Met my husband winter of 2010 on POF.. After our first date we were inseparable... We dated for 8 months he proposed I said YES.. 8 months later we married.. and now we have been married almost three months were still in love!
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine dating sites have to have a higher concentration of the socially awkward. If they weren't they would have had more success meeting someone day to day. Though I can also imagine those that just don't have the time to meet someone, but I believe these to be the minority, and in pictures taken from the right angles, indistinguishable from the creeps.

I disagree.

I work with a lot of people that are older than me. By decades. And I'm 31. I'm not going to meet someone at a bar, and I had no single friends with single friends of their own for me to meet.

Exactly the same situation I'm in.

Coffee shop that has free internet and plenty of seating. Place by me is like this and I spent all of my time studying there, I actually met a few girls there. Sit near a guy you like and ask his opinion on something.

Bookstore- Cliche, but if you're looking in a particular genre just ask a guy if he has any suggestions if he likes the same genre as you.

The gym - Yes, you can meet people at the gym, I respect women dedicated to getting a workout in, I may not talk to them right away, but I might eventually if they are there for themselves and no one else.

Easiest 3 places I can think of to meet someone of more substance than at a bar. Though I prefer going to the bar personally.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I was married long before the first on-line dating site popped up.

Personally, I would rather meet someone during the normal course of my day. At least I would know that our lives really did intersect at some level. But...whatever works for others is all right by me.

I do think, however, if a person looked up from their phone, while sexting, texting, tweeting and checking their on-line matchmaker messages, they might meet someone that has been right the on the periphery of their lives all along.

I'm a dinosaur.
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have had good and bad experiences with online dating but I think it's definitely worth a try. About 10 yrs ago when I was doing the online dating, I met a few weirdo's and got a few marriage proposals from men in other countries...lol but I also met some really nice guys who were fun to hang out with but nothing serious. Then on christiancafe.com I met my husband :love: we have been together 8 1/2 yrs and he is the love of my life :happy: He moved from VA to NJ to marry me :heart: My advice is to be careful, move slow and get to know the person regardless of where you meet them.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I have had good and bad experiences with online dating but I think it's definitely worth a try. About 10 yrs ago when I was doing the online dating, I met a few weirdo's and got a few marriage proposals from men in other countries...lol but I also met some really nice guys who were fun to hang out with but nothing serious. Then on christiancafe.com I met my husband :love: we have been together 8 1/2 yrs and he is the love of my life :happy: He moved from VA to NJ to marry me :heart: My advice is to be careful, move slow and get to know the person regardless of where you meet them.

He moved TO New Jersey? That is some serious love, right there! :tongue:
  • jeffwagstaff
    Options
    Thumbs UP for online dating.. Peple are the same wherever you meet them.. Some lack good manners, some are broken souls, some show signs of prior relationship damage, and SOME are just who you might be looking for.

I say go for it, just let your intellect and intuition be your guide. Expect Respect, and treat potential date interests fairly and HONESTLY. Thats means use only CURRENT pictures, and be absolutely honest in writing your profile.

Guys, its your job to arrange a comfortable date experience with some thoughtful planning.. By all means, show a girl some respect and dont be so "handsy" with someone you just met. If all goes well, over time, a lady will let you know whether your affection is welcome and wanted..

Ladies, its your place to set the pace of how "familiar" you'd allow a guy to be around you. Also.. Dont be TOO Coy.. Its OKAY to initiate contact with the guy you like.. I know its a popular perception that a lady likes the guy to demonstrate his true interest in you by keeping in touch based on your "expectations".. The truth is that rarely works out! If you expect the guy to always be the one who calls, texts or writes, he may not really know where he stands with you!. Give your guy some help.. When communication is a 2 way street between honest adults, everyone feels more "wanted" and welcome..

For the Guys and the Ladies.. Dont become a "ghost", when a first date does'nt inspire you. Its smart to let your date know that you did'nt feel the chemistry.. Do it in some way thats polite and without insult..
  • mrsmerrithew
    mrsmerrithew Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I could write a book about online dating.

I have had so many good dates and so many bad dates. I have met crazies and I have been the crazy - hey it happens!!

But in the end, I would do it ALL over again. I met my husband on plentyoffish.com and after our first date we were inseparable.
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options

He moved TO New Jersey? That is some serious love, right there! :tongue:

right! who want's to live in dirty Jersey?!?...lol :wink:
  • tnrown87
    tnrown87 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I met my OH on a normal chat site,
    I didnt have any condifence and so i spoke to various guys never met them just liked the banter and talking really male attention etc, Then started speaking to 'Ben' and we spoke alot online anyway I was shopping in town and walked past the shop he said he worked and poked my head in to see if I could see him ( we exchanged pics) and didnt want to get caught but he seen me i went shy and walked out LOL... I got home to an email I still have saved that said 'hey I thought you said you look worse in person than your pics - unless that wasnt you you lied to me'
    and yea he gavee me all my confidence - now i just need body to go with it.

This is so sweet!!! AWWWW!!!!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Every single crazy-stalker-psychopath that I have ever had the displeasure of spending more than 5 minutes with, I met on a dating site. One guy that I "thought" might be okay because we clicked was the worst. First of all, when I saw him, I then knew why he always had on a hat in his pictures...he had a growth the size of a golfball sticking out of his head. I didn't want to be a vain, shallow, b!tch, so I still went out on a date. We both liked karaoke, so went to the bar where he sipped on diet coke....except for when he went to the bathroom (I thought he had an itty-bitty bladder at first). Turned out that every time he went to go tinkle, he'd swing by the bar and kick back a couple of shots....liquid courage, right? Well, unbenownst to me, I got into the car with a drunk driver who then proceeded to hit a parked car because he wasn't paying attention. I ended up in the ER with whiplash, and from the airbag a black eye and split lip and he went to jail. Took me three months and a restraining order to get rid of him because he just knew that we were "soulmates". uuuuuhhh....no buddy....we are not.

OH MY GOD!!! That is WAAAAY worse than any of my storires!! Holy crap thats horrible!
  • tnrown87
    tnrown87 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thumbs UP for online dating.. Peple are the same wherever you meet them.. Some lack good manners, some are broken souls, some show signs of prior relationship damage, and SOME are just who you might be looking for.

I say go for it, just let your intellect and intuition be your guide. Expect Respect, and treat potential date interests fairly and HONESTLY. Thats means use only CURRENT pictures, and be absolutely honest in writing your profile.

Guys, its your job to arrange a comfortable date experience with some thoughtful planning.. By all means, show a girl some respect and dont be so "handsy" with someone you just met. If all goes well, over time, a lady will let you know whether your affection is welcome and wanted..

Ladies, its your place to set the pace of how "familiar" you'd allow a guy to be around you. Also.. Dont be TOO Coy.. Its OKAY to initiate contact with the guy you like.. I know its a popular perception that a lady likes the guy to demonstrate his true interest in you by keeping in touch based on your "expectations".. The truth is that rarely works out! If you expect the guy to always be the one who calls, texts or writes, he may not really know where he stands with you!. Give your guy some help.. When communication is a 2 way street between honest adults, everyone feels more "wanted" and welcome..

For the Guys and the Ladies.. Dont become a "ghost", when a first date does'nt inspire you. Its smart to let your date know that you did'nt feel the chemistry.. Do it in some way thats polite and without insult..

Seems like sound advice!
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Met my husband in an AOL chat room for single parents...we've been married 14 years and still going strong.
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Now-a-days I don't think it's all that uncommon to online date. For me, I have tried it out and have had some pretty harsh experiences that ended in me deleting my account but eventually got sucked back into it... and it was shortly after that, that I met my now fiance :) You live and you learn, meaning, after those horrid experiences I think a person learns what types of questions to ask prior to meeting up or what types of guys to weed out before making an educated decision to actually pursue them. That really does suck though that you've had to go through those bad dates but I say keep goin'. You're bound to find the right one, I sure did! Good luck :)
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    As I was telling a friend earlier. It seems that people on dating sites are just trying to sell themselves to the highest bidder. Naming all their good qualities and not being very real. I have been on several dates with a guy I met online, and it just ended up going BOOM! He started showing his true colors about 4 dates in. I don't look down on people who met online. I just think its hard to know that you have met someone great or not. All in all, maybe I'm just bitter... but I'm so sick of dating. :ohwell:
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Every single crazy-stalker-psychopath that I have ever had the displeasure of spending more than 5 minutes with, I met on a dating site. One guy that I "thought" might be okay because we clicked was the worst. First of all, when I saw him, I then knew why he always had on a hat in his pictures...he had a growth the size of a golfball sticking out of his head. I didn't want to be a vain, shallow, b!tch, so I still went out on a date. We both liked karaoke, so went to the bar where he sipped on diet coke....except for when he went to the bathroom (I thought he had an itty-bitty bladder at first). Turned out that every time he went to go tinkle, he'd swing by the bar and kick back a couple of shots....liquid courage, right? Well, unbenownst to me, I got into the car with a drunk driver who then proceeded to hit a parked car because he wasn't paying attention. I ended up in the ER with whiplash, and from the airbag a black eye and split lip and he went to jail. Took me three months and a restraining order to get rid of him because he just knew that we were "soulmates". uuuuuhhh....no buddy....we are not.

Forgive me but LMFAO! I've had some interesting dates but non that bad. Have a couple of friends and a cousin that met their husband's on line. I've done on line dating before myself, not sure if I want to do it again but who knows. Its another avenue to meet someone... but I prefer meeting by chance in person these days :flowerforyou:

Have I mentioned I'm single :smile:
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I could write a book about online dating.

I have had so many good dates and so many bad dates. I have met crazies and I have been the crazy - hey it happens!!

But in the end, I would do it ALL over again. I met my husband on plentyoffish.com and after our first date we were inseparable.

Same with my and my fiance :)
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've used dating websites and will readily admit that there are some strange and creepy guys out there, however you can meet them anywhere. I met my current boyfriend online around Christmas 2011 and met in person January 1, 2012. We're living together and I've met his kids. I also met a guy who I dated on and off for a year before he moved 2 1/2 hours away, at which point I decided enough of this on again off again, I'm not going to do this any more. There was more reasons than him moving. I did meet a guy who just wanted to sit in his car, met guys who tried to feel me up in movie theatres, met guys who were down right strange. But I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to meet the guys who were worth meeting, as I met 3 good guys online, with one being my current boyfriend. All I can say is try it, but always have an exit plan the first time you meet someone, and if you're creeped out leave. But don't pass up the opportunity to date the nice guy, as my bf is one of the nice guys.