Strength Training PR's - Brag About Your Success

Options

Replies

• KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Sort of a different PR, but if it wasn't for the strength training, I wouldn't have done this!

This is the Highland Games' weight for height - the goal is to throw a 56 lb weight over the bar as high as you can one-handed.

My previous PR was 13' - not a bad height, but I sat there for a couple years and kept fizzling out at anything higher. I started weight training last May, and really started pushing and pulling like a madman over the winter. And THIS was the result of that effort:

9250e6c7-8660-4fdb-8f55-0021a8673e7c_zps100342a0.jpg

That's 14' straight up, and I even hit 14'6" afterwards! A foot and a half jump, and thanks to some major deadlifting, power cleans, and squats!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Panda, that's really cool!
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Not hit many 1RM's for a while, a few rep PB's though...

Weighted dips - +50KG x 6 for 2 sets - 110lb's

Squat - 160KG x 10 (I was seeing starts at the end of this set!) - 352lb's

SOP (STRICT Overhead Press) - 70KG x 10 (154lb's)

Deadlift - 180KG x 8 - (I don't do more than 5 reps normally) - 396lbs

And all that's with a Sciatica Injury - Sore lower back, Trapped nerve. Weighing in at 85KG\187lbs
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    I smashed it at the gym tonight.

New Bench PB - 65kg x 5 (143lbs).

Pretty happy with that.
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    That's awesome Deeva :happy: You know that's only 2.5kg from the ACT State champ BP weight for the over 95kg weight class!! Awesome stuff!!
    :drinker:
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    I think I can do 2.5kg more on 1RM.

Or at least give it a red hot go. :P
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I'm doing two real Pistol Squats - *kitten* to grass and back up straight again in good form!
  • Lynxie83
    Options
    It's my current goal. I'm still 12.5kg away from it, but I'm gonna get there!! :smokin:
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Oh, I´m going to brag, even if you all laugh. I just started lifting weights. For me, that´s a pretty big deal!
  • Lynxie83
    Options
    Added 2.5kg to my Bench this morning and improved on technique :smile:

so that's now a total of 57.5kg, 10kg to go :glasses:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Oh, I´m going to brag, even if you all laugh. I just started lifting weights. For me, that´s a pretty big deal!

No-one will laugh at anyone starting to lift weights...and if they do, let me know and I will kick their *kitten*.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

No-one will laugh at anyone starting to lift weights...and if they do, let me know and I will kick their *kitten*.

We are very supportive in this little corner. Your PB is YOUR PB no matter how big or small it is compared to anyone else.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! It's been awhile since I've posted in here, lol...but, being finally being back in the gym recovering from a shattered collarbone (Surgery was January 11th)...I think it's time I posted my current working sets!

Squat - 275lbs 5x5
    Deadlift - 275lbs 5x5
    Bench Press (injury limited) - 135lbs 3x12
    Bent Over Row (injury limited) - 105lbs 3x12
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press (injury limited) - 35lbs 3x12
    Barbell Lying Triceps Extension - 60lbs 3x12
    Barbell Curl (injury limited) - 70lbs 5x5
    Chin Ups - I just completed 5x5 at bodyweight (185lbs dressed) today! This one is severely injury limited lol.

Anyhow...feels awesome to be back lifting again!!
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Awesome post-injury work! A shattered collarbone plus surgery - that is extremely intense.

I PR'd my bench last week, got three singles at 135, but no other PR for a while because I injured my back in January. And injured it again two weeks later. Old PRs were 220x2 squat and deadlift 305 for five singles. That was at a BW of 170 (height 5'9").

Rehabbed and lost 14 pounds (on purpose), so everything is lower now! Working my way back up very slowly. Last time I squatted it was 165x3x5, last set of deadlifts was 230x5. Losing weight cost me about 10 pounds on my OHP, so a deload and perhaps more volume work is in order.

I read through the thread - lots of serious lifters here!
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Awesome post-injury work! A shattered collarbone plus surgery - that is extremely intense.

I PR'd my bench last week, got three singles at 135, but no other PR for a while because I injured my back in January. And injured it again two weeks later. Old PRs were 220x2 squat and deadlift 305 for five singles. That was at a BW of 170 (height 5'9").

Rehabbed and lost 14 pounds (on purpose), so everything is lower now! Working my way back up very slowly. Last time I squatted it was 165x3x5, last set of deadlifts was 230x5. Losing weight cost me about 10 pounds on my OHP, so a deload and perhaps more volume work is in order.

I read through the thread - lots of serious lifters here!

Thanks! Your numbers are pretty impressive period lol.

But yeah, the injury thing does suck! Last February I ripped my right biceps off my forearm...ended up with surgery to reconnect, and months of recovery from that as well.

NO FUN!
  • Gwyn1969
    Options
    But yeah, the injury thing does suck! Last February I ripped my right biceps off my forearm...ended up with surgery to reconnect, and months of recovery from that as well.

NO FUN!

Wow, then you are an old hand at recovering! That is a major accomplishment all by itself.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

NO FUN!

Wow, then you are an old hand at recovering! That is a major accomplishment all by itself.

Lol, I don't know about an old hand...but I've definitely learned a thing or two about how to recover from injuries where they insert threaded objects into my bones =p. The trick is to stay active, even while the bone is growing around the screws...and then after about 4-6wks, increase your loads progressively. For example, half my lifts are performed in the 12 rep range in order to compensate for the recovering collarbone (don't want to pull the screws out with higher weights). This way, the shoulder's healing as the weight progressively increases, and most importantly, it's being USED, which keeps the blood flowing around it and speeds healing tremendously. Once the lifts can be performed without pain, I'll start dropping reps and increasing weight dramatically again.

I know of no doctor that would recommend it (at least while you're under their care lol), but I know it works :).
  • Gwyn1969
    Options

NO FUN!

Lol, I don't know about an old hand...but I've definitely learned a thing or two about how to recover from injuries where they insert threaded objects into my bones =p. The trick is to stay active, even while the bone is growing around the screws...and then after about 4-6wks, increase your loads progressively. For example, half my lifts are performed in the 12 rep range in order to compensate for the recovering collarbone (don't want to pull the screws out with higher weights). This way, the shoulder's healing as the weight progressively increases, and most importantly, it's being USED, which keeps the blood flowing around it and speeds healing tremendously. Once the lifts can be performed without pain, I'll start dropping reps and increasing weight dramatically again.

I know of no doctor that would recommend it (at least while you're under their care lol), but I know it works :).

There's a guy on another forum who fell off a building and broke his legs in multiple places, had all sorts of metal in both legs. He started barbell training and had amazing results. Now he's about to compete in his first powerlifting meet. Great stuff.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

NO FUN!

There's a guy on another forum who fell off a building and broke his legs in multiple places, had all sorts of metal in both legs. He started barbell training and had amazing results. Now he's about to compete in his first powerlifting meet. Great stuff.

Absolutely. Strength training helps even healthy people on so many levels...but the benifits to those that are seriously injured can go beyond even that.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with an injured si joint for about two years and turned to weights as I can't figure out much cardio that doesn't hurt me. Weight lifting is awesome! I feel stronger and healthier even though I am lifting small amounts. I have not tried much free weights as my balance is off but you are helping me get psyched to try some. My recent Prs on machines are not what I could do twenty years ago, but I feel much stronger than two months ago so
    1x 8 @ 200 leg press
    1x8 @ 25 bicep curl
    1x 8 @ 75 back extension