Strength Training PR's - Brag About Your Success

Options

Replies

• amyg007
    amyg007 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I squatted 3 reps of 205lbs :) It was tough, but I did it!
  • rcadams97
    rcadams97 Posts: 106
    Options
    Below are all personal records set I've reached over the past 6 month deployment without supplements.

1RM Bench: 405
    5RM Bench :355
    1RM Deadlift: 450
    5RM Deadlift: 390
    1RM Squat: 350
    5RM Squat: 295
    1RM Standing military press: 265
    5 RM Standing military press: 225
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I squatted 3 reps of 205lbs :) It was tough, but I did it!
    Congrats, fellow-Albertan!

For me, because of spinal issues I had to wait almost two years to get medical approval to lift... After as much bed rest as I'd had, I'd atrophied severely to the point I couldn't squat a bar-alone, and couldn't curl 25lbs for reps.

When I got to the point I could finally do 45 a side on squats (whopping 135, LOL, I had a girl about your age ask if she could work in ... I felt both impressed and emasculated when she put weight ON...

My PR's as a somewhat-broken old guy aren't great, but I'm going to post them just so I can see them sometime later. I haven't tried any one-rep-max records, so what you see is my best at reps:

Bench 155 x 10 reps
    Overhead 95 x 6 reps
    Squat 245 x 8
    Deadlift 315 x 5
    Bentover (Pendlay) row 175 x 8
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    Matched my previous PB on bench today - 60kg (132lb) Absolutely thrilled with the 5kg jump in two weeks! :smile:

There's been some awesome weights thrown around in here! Keep em coming people!:drinker:
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    For me, because of spinal issues I had to wait almost two years to get medical approval to lift... After as much bed rest as I'd had, I'd atrophied severely to the point I couldn't squat a bar-alone, and couldn't curl 25lbs for reps.

When I got to the point I could finally do 45 a side on squats (whopping 135, LOL, I had a girl about your age ask if she could work in ... I felt both impressed and emasculated when she put weight ON...

My PR's as a somewhat-broken old guy aren't great, but I'm going to post them just so I can see them sometime later. I haven't tried any one-rep-max records, so what you see is my best at reps:

Bench 155 x 10 reps
    Overhead 95 x 6 reps
    Squat 245 x 8
    Deadlift 315 x 5

Congratulations at beating your injury and getting strong. That kind of PR is my favorite.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Bench 155 x 10 reps
    Overhead 95 x 6 reps
    Squat 245 x 8
    Deadlift 315 x 5

Congratulations at beating your injury and getting strong. That kind of PR is my favorite.

^^yep.

And those numbers are nothing to sneeze at in any event.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    ^^yep.

Thank you to both of you. Bench is up 10lbs this week. I'm literally afraid to up my squat, LOL. I keep good form, but I keep getting worried something bad will happen Not sure how to get over that mental hurdle.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ^^yep.

Thank you to both of you. Bench is up 10lbs this week. I'm literally afraid to up my squat, LOL. I keep good form, but I keep getting worried something bad will happen Not sure how to get over that mental hurdle.

Do you squat in a cage/rack?

I hear you re the mental hurdle. Sometimes you have to fail (safely) to realize you can push more...if that makes sense.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Finally broke a major milestone - just got a 600 lb squat earlier today, and got my totals above 1400!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Finally broke a major milestone - just got a 600 lb squat earlier today, and got my totals above 1400!

Frigging fantastic!
  • albertabeefy
    Options

I hear you re the mental hurdle. Sometimes you have to fail (safely) to realize you can push more...if that makes sense.
    Yes, I won't squat without either the cage or the rack next to it at the gym. I hate the smith - it feels weird to me.

I'm thinking of buying a belt just to give myself some added 'security' ... I'm terrified to hurt myself after coming so far post-injury, you know?

I like what squats and deadlifts are doing for my core ... I was thinking of using the belt just for my heaviest sets, after all the warmups and medium-sets are done...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yes, I won't squat without either the cage or the rack next to it at the gym. I hate the smith - it feels weird to me.

I'm thinking of buying a belt just to give myself some added 'security' ... I'm terrified to hurt myself after coming so far post-injury, you know?

I like what squats and deadlifts are doing for my core ... I was thinking of using the belt just for my heaviest sets, after all the warmups and medium-sets are done...

You will get a lot of conflicting opinion re belts. They are not really for added security as such, but to give your abs something to push against (it does give some back support however - but that is kind of secondary imo). However, that being said, there is nothing wrong with using one on your top sets as long as you do not forget to still use proper form while lifting. I use a belt myself on my top sets.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    As this thread is active again I though I would update my lifts as I have had some PRs that I am totally stoked about.

Deadlifts: still at 280lb I am reworking my form and am really happy with how it is progressing. While I have not pulled anything over 240lb since, my back is no longer rounding, which it was even at that weight before. I am looking forward to upping my PR for these relatively soon (or at least I hope I do).

Squats: 235lb. Finally got over 1.5 x body weight.

Bench: 140lb. Got those big boy plates finally - next goal is body weight

OHP: 100lb. This is actually the one I was happiest with as it seemed to take forever to get that 100lb goal I had.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Friday I broke a nice milestone..

210KG Squat at 83.5KG, so that's over 2.5 x BW Squat PB by 10KG
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Friday I broke a nice milestone..

210KG Squat at 83.5KG, so that's over 2.5 x BW Squat PB by 10KG

BIG milestone!

And congrats Sara. Great PR's :smile:
  • 007FatSlayer
    007FatSlayer Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This is all pretty impressive...nice! I'm going to have to check out NROL4W:smile:
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I hit a new PR on the bench press tonight. I never have a spotter so I use the power rack but still am a little timid. Tonight I lifted 135 lbs and was okay with it. I got 5 reps out of it - 2 sets. I'd done previous sets at a lower weight.

Incline leg press still working at 820 lbs. I got 8 reps out of this tonight... again I'd done previous sets at a lighter weight (730 lbs).

Feeling strong.
    My jealousy is making it really hard to comment here.....:mad:

Girl you are killing it!

eta: I wish there was a green angry face smiley to express jealousy.

I must say I'm jealous too! Awesome! :-)
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Clean and Jerked 145kg along with Snatching 115 so I qualified for the British in July as a 94. I weighed in at 91.82kg. 145kg is the most I"ve CJ this year. PB is 158 when I weighed 97kg last year.

Koing
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Since Sara posted this on her feed: http://www.wannabebig.com/training/bench-like-a-girl/ I decided to try a lighter warm-up and smaller increments on my way to pushing past my stupid 95lb block on standing OHP's...

For whatever reason, I've done 95 for reps, but never managed to get > 95lbs above my head, not once, ever, since my spinal injury. Never knew why, if it was mental or physical... (And as a 6'3" 228lb guy, knowing that Sara can do 100lbs ... my ego was severely deflated, LOL)

I used to warmup with the oly bar, then do 65lbs, and normally do 3 or 4 sets that maxed at 95lbs.

So, I followed the advice she linked to, specifically points 1 and 2 in that link, in an attempt to push 105 if only for a one-rep-max.

Interestingly, with a lighter warmup (instead of the oly bar I used a 30lb barbell) and then going up in smaller increments, and a few less reps per set, I not-only managed 105 (for 5 reps) but also busted out 115 for 3. (Although the 3rd rep had a little help from the knees, admittedly).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Since Sara posted this on her feed: http://www.wannabebig.com/training/bench-like-a-girl/ I decided to try a lighter warm-up and smaller increments on my way to pushing past my stupid 95lb block on standing OHP's...

For whatever reason, I've done 95 for reps, but never managed to get > 95lbs above my head, not once, ever, since my spinal injury. Never knew why, if it was mental or physical... (And as a 6'3" 228lb guy, knowing that Sara can do 100lbs ... my ego was severely deflated, LOL)

I used to warmup with the oly bar, then do 65lbs, and normally do 3 or 4 sets that maxed at 95lbs.

So, I followed the advice she linked to, specifically points 1 and 2 in that link, in an attempt to push 105 if only for a one-rep-max.

Interestingly, with a lighter warmup (instead of the oly bar I used a 30lb barbell) and then going up in smaller increments, and a few less reps per set, I not-only managed 105 (for 5 reps) but also busted out 115 for 3. (Although the 3rd rep had a little help from the knees, admittedly).

*happy dance*