Everyone do me a favor...

Options

Replies

• bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You have never tried to keep up with weight lifting and martial arts workouts through pregnancy nausea and fatigue in 100+ degree weather. I'll continue to ask for whatever support I need from the MFP community to keep me going. That's one of the reasons this community is here, and one of the reasons I'm part of it.
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I respectfully have to disagree with you Sir.
    Everyone is different and there is not 1 type of motivation that "Fits All".

A lot of my motivation was seeing other people's success which in fact, inspired me to be better. I would take their success and do my research and find out what was the best way for me to lose weight. It is a statistical fact that people lose more weight and are more likely to keep the weight off than people who go about dieting on their own. This is a Weight Loss community and we all rely on each other for not only support, but also for wisdom.

Yes it takes Self Motivation, but sometimes people need help from others as well. It could be looking at each others pictures, reading blogs and forums, or just giving a friend a friendly "WTG!" comment when they post that they have lost one more pesky pound.

If community motivation upsets you so much, perhaps this website is not a good fit for your needs.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Sounds like someone needs a trust fall!

trustfall-1.gif

Edit: gif FAIL. Ugh.
  • whitterbugCo
    Options
    Any parent can tell you there are times when you "motivate" your children to do something (go to a relatives for dinner, clean their room, go to a museum, whatever) by various techniques. The child knows the museum, the broccoli, the room-cleaning, the whatever is a good thing to do but they lack the DISCIPLINE to motivate themselves - at first. So parents provide motivation; external motivation, until the child learns to motivate himself or herself.

Some of us at MFP are children, emotionally, about our diet and exercise. So we look to our peers to be friends, authority figures, work-out buddies, what ever you want to call it. It works for us. Good for you if you don't need this, but I do. You don't need external motivation and you don't like reading about it? Please move on to another thread. I will not let your rant against external motivation stop me from seeking it.

Either way, the only thing that matters is our personal health and well-being, and I am stoked for you that you are doing so well on your own. Keep it up! :happy:

Agreed 100%
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    OP as you life get you down you start to need those motivations. I wish it was just an off or on switch. When I was 16 I had no worries in the world and would work out for hours, as I got older things pile up and it becomes harder to get motivated about all of them.

If you are doing the last rep on a bench press and you just don't think you got it anymore, your spotter can help you get over that hump by motivating you (screaming, cheering , etc).

So asking for a spot on the forums that were meant to help people out is only logical.

Empathy is a great thing to have.
    Those without empathy are sociopaths.
    Hence the OP is obviously a serial killer.
  • amore78
    amore78 Posts: 175
    Options
    exactly....WERE HUMANS!!
  • Fruch02
    Fruch02 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    See everyone needs inspiration.....Not motivation..... Without inspiration, motivation loses some of its "mojo." I'm sure you've experienced this. In my lifetime, I've been motivated to do many things, as I'm sure you have as well. When I was about 10 years old or so, I started playing sports. I was motivated to practice, but only because I was inspired by the thought of what that practice could bring me. On a rather mundane level, I'm motivated to take out the garbage on a regular basis, because I'm inspired to keep my house clean. Motivation is within. No one can motivate you to do something. You must do it on your own.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    So you have an issue that people may be using the wrong word to ask for what they feel they need?

Grammar Police?!? You have a new recruit!

At ease!

:P
  • Fruch02
    Options
    People can gain inspiration by everyones gains on here, but don't ask for motivation. Only you can motivate. Be inspired by others on here.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I find so much humor in the "introduce yourself" area here. So many new people come here and start yelling at everyone or giving bogus advice. Love this place! :drinker:
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    OP as you life get you down you start to need those motivations. I wish it was just an off or on switch. When I was 16 I had no worries in the world and would work out for hours, as I got older things pile up and it becomes harder to get motivated about all of them.

If you are doing the last rep on a bench press and you just don't think you got it anymore, your spotter can help you get over that hump by motivating you (screaming, cheering , etc).

So asking for a spot on the forums that were meant to help people out is only logical.

Empathy is a great thing to have.
    Those without empathy are sociopaths.
    Hence the OP is obviously a serial killer.

Bond - I know I've asked you this before, but I'm asking again, "Will you marry me?" ha ha ha!
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Everyones response: " I don't like to be told what to do?" So then why ask for motivation/support.....aren't people telling you what to do? Ya know... "Keep going" "Keep it up".... I'm saying you are all motivated because your using this site right? So why ask for it? Just be about it.

That was one person's response, and you quote it as everyone's?

Hmm....issues much?
  • smksapper
    smksapper Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Then don't read it, Summer's Eve.

Love it :laugh:
  • Fruch02
    Options
    See everyone needs inspiration.....Not motivation..... Without inspiration, motivation loses some of its "mojo." I'm sure you've experienced this. In my lifetime, I've been motivated to do many things, as I'm sure you have as well. When I was about 10 years old or so, I started playing sports. I was motivated to practice, but only because I was inspired by the thought of what that practice could bring me. On a rather mundane level, I'm motivated to take out the garbage on a regular basis, because I'm inspired to keep my house clean. Motivation is within. No one can motivate you to do something. You must do it on your own.

People can gain inspiration by everyones gains on here, but don't ask for motivation. Only you can motivate. Be inspired by others on here.

SOMEONE PLEASE ARGUE THAT I'M WRONG? I WANT TO KNOW EXACTLY HOW I AM WRONG? MOTIVATION AND INSPIRATION ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. PROVE ME WRONG AND I WILL BE DONE WITH THIS.
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Public forum = people can post what they want, if you don't like it either eff off or keep shtum.

back at ya then.

You're probably one of the many few that try to look for a date on here too.

wait... what? who's on here looking for a date? If you mean mr manopause continue flaming, if you mean me i think you might be barking up the wrong tree. I come here to track calories and spread sarcastic sunshine. Have a great day ;-)
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Some would argue that the inspiration comes from within and is the predecessor to motivation- that you have an idea (you are inspired , the internal ) Then motivation is a reward based situation. You want your house to be clean so you take out the trash. That is a motivation you are not inspired to take out the trash. Motivation turns ideas into actions.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options

SOMEONE PLEASE ARGUE THAT I'M WRONG? I WANT TO KNOW EXACTLY HOW I AM WRONG? MOTIVATION AND INSPIRATION ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. PROVE ME WRONG AND I WILL BE DONE WITH THIS.

1318806181479.jpg
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Grammar police with bad grammar equals hilarity.
    Seriously though, nowhere in the definition of motivation does it say that it comes from within. Motivation comes from external sources as well. If you are lacking motivation someone can motivate you, whether they motivate you by congratulating you on your success so far, yelling at you for doing bad, providing inspirational quotes, providing their own inspirational story, etc. Everyone has different needs. Just because you think you're only motivation comes from within doesn't mean everyone does.
  • rheilala
    rheilala Posts: 32
    Options
    Public forum = people can post what they want, if you don't like it either eff off or keep shtum.

back at ya then.

Dude, how can you create a thread like this and not expect people to be upset? Don't be a Summer's Eve when people fire back at you.

Identical twins do think alike. haha
  • Kwika
    Kwika Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Having motivation to get on a site like this is all well and good. For me I have been overweight as a kid and have been self conscious about my looks because of my weight. I joined because my physical therapist reccommended it to me to help me become a better me. After having two knee surgeries, two broken legs, and being hit by a car all in two years, he really wanted to see me take the stress off my joints. Sometimes we fall down and need help getting up and dusting ourselves and getting motivated again. For me, I sometimes need a little extra umph in the morning especially when I am lacking the motivtion and go out for my run. I see what people are doing here and it helps get me in the right frame of mind to go out and do what I need to do to stay healthy. You may think what you want and yes, it is a good quote, but we all need a little help now and then.