why waste calories on protein powder?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Nickstery
    Nickstery Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Shhhhh.... don't be scared of supplements.... they can be your best friend!

I"m thinking if you have a bag of protein powder that you probably didn't spend to much money on it because you wanted to try it out...... And that is okay, but a lot of the time going cheap means that the ingredients are horrible and the taste will not be there that you are looking for.

I'm using Muscle Milk Peanut Butter w/ Chocolate...... It's delicious in Milk, Water, Crushed ice.... just amazing..... very filling!

I would say that you need to try a higher quality protein powder and see how that fairs, you can find ones specifically for water mix and see if you like that so that you don't worry so much about the calories!
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my protein shake -- look forward to it every afternoon. How sad that OP's shake tastes bad to her. Mine is delicious, Swiss Chocolate sweetened with stevia. I use lots of ice, a couple Tbsp of half-n-half, and if my carbs are not too high for the day, 1/2 banana.

This tastes like an ice cream milk shake to me -- totally YUMMY. I love that it has the protein, but seriously, even if I were not looking for that extra protein, I would be SAD :sad: to miss my afternoon dessert!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Protein powders would seem like a waste to people who are more concerned with "calories in, calories out" idea of weight loss. I am lifting weights to build muscle and my body needs more protein to build that lean tissue. I focus more on my macros of protein carbs and fats than just basic calories.

My question is why did you buy the protein powder in the first place?
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    :| i cannot do whey, ugggh, it does not like me.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Sigh......this thread again.

What if to hit my macros i want protein without the Fat or carbs that would come with the other foods you mentioned? What of I need another 30 grams protein that day and can't stomach another chicken breast?

My protein shake tastes amazing Because I buy a quality product, shop more wisely!!

Why would a protein shake be wasted calories and milk not a waste....whey is made from milk?

Same for me.

For all those that say protein shakes are nasty, you aren't doing it right! You don't go cheap on protein, but I have even had some store brands that taste pretty good. Of course, I have never had it with just water. I have always mixed it with nonfat milk. I also add some other ingredients like PB and banana or frozen orange juice concentrate and greek yogurt. You don't really so much drink it by itself. You use it to make healthy, nutrition-packed smoothies.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    it's quick & easy for me sometimes. i drink my with almond milk. i like it.
  • cevans_rr
    cevans_rr Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've always had the OP's question myself but now that I'm looking for ways to add protein without changing fat or carbs much I understand! Now - to find a protein powder I like without spending a bunch of $$ experimenting. Thanks for all the awesome suggestions and to the OP for asking the question I've been pondering lately!
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    yawn.....I drink it after workout and when I was pure protein and nutrients without the fat .
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    For me personally I don't always have time to make a meal post workout or perhaps I don't feel like it. Plus whey has been known to significantly decrease appetite (because it is filling) and supposedly is absorbed quicker. Now I don't believe all of that protein shakes must be drank within 30-60 minutes of working out stuff but they are a convenient way to boost your daily intake- which is what really matters. If you hate the taste try the unflavored kind, bob's red mill makes some (I've only found concentrate, but I'm sure there's an isolate out there somewhere similiar). It still has a weird texture but it doesn't have all the artificial flavors so it's better for you anyway. For people with busier lifestyles, whey is even better.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    I'm currently looking into what protein powder is suitable for me... as a vegan (so no eggsmilk/meat) and as someone who's severely allergic to almost every nut out there, sometimes it's hard to get enough protein.
    Have you tried hemp protein? http://nutiva.com/products/hemp-protein-powder-organic/
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/hemp_protein_powder.html

Also, back to the OP, I tend to add protein powder to a lot of other things besides shakes. "Pancakes", oatmeal, baked goods. It's a lot more edible that way imo.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I had a bottle given to me for my birthday but otherwise I probably wouldnt have tried it. I aim for 200 calories at breakfast and its 212. I drank most of it and I was full for over 3 hours. Plus it was like 40ish grams of protein. Plus: its tasty- far better than I thought it would be.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was a sarcastic tone to the thread, but I was trying to decide which would be better eating that protein powder or the milk at breakfast. Guess I wanted the "science" behind protein powders.

I am for 40% protein in my macro, that's a base of 136 grams of protein in a day. I don't eat nuts to get protein, actually I don't eat nuts at all I just don't find them an efficient source of nutrients unless I need an influx of healthy fats. I eat a lot of food in a day that is high in protein and still struggle to achieve 136. I eat about 2 dozen eggs a week. I eat 8 ounces of meat with dinner almost every night, I eat more meat at lunch, I eat 8 oz of greek yogurt per day, and still 136 g of protein is elusive. Protein powder helps me reach my goals in a calorie and time efficient way, and a good quality product doesn't taste like *kitten*. I don't use it as a meal replacement, I use it as a dietary suppliment.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm currently looking into what protein powder is suitable for me... as a vegan (so no eggsmilk/meat) and as someone who's severely allergic to almost every nut out there, sometimes it's hard to get enough protein.

I use Nutribiotic Certified Gluten Free Vegan Rice Protein. The label says "NutriBiotic Vegan Rice Protein does not contain soy, milk, eggs, wheat, corn, nuts, or preservatives." It's gritty, I use pudding powder to smooth out the texture.
  • KINGoftheBUFF
    KINGoftheBUFF Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You may not need it....depends on your macros, calorie intake and activity levels. Certainly whole foods is always a better choice over supplements...

But too defend many on here, protein powders are the perfect solution if you worlout alot or live a healthy lifestyle. These people require a much higher intake of calories and protein....as I'm eating a double scoop of carnivore mixed in my oatmeal right now...52 grams of protein. I eat protein powder 3 - 4 times a day...and also 1'b of chicken and sometimes a large steak. My body needs 250 - 300 grams of protein a day to support my workload.

On another note, it's typicaly cheaper than whole foods....I scoop of a good whey product cost about $0.99 my chicken breast cost more.