Pay a speeding ticket based on your income?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
Finland, Norway, and Denmark do this. Kinda makes sense. If someone who makes a ton of money gets a $100.00 speeding ticket or a $500 car pool infraction, it may be nothing to pay it and really wouldn't do much to dissuade them from doing it again. But if it was based on a percentage of their income, then they might be much more deterred.
If a guy makes a million a year and the ticket is.0025%- .005% of their income, that would be $2,000 to $5,000 for their pay compared to someone who makes $50,000 a year paying $125 to $250 for the same infraction.
Personally I know of a couple of people who are really rich and thumb their nose at the speeding laws because they know they can pay for the cost of the tickets with ease.
So yeah, I think I'd be for it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Not sure about that.

I think the fine should be a reflection of the potential consequences of the infraction, not your income. So if you're doing twice the limit in a residential area, I think that's worse than just being a little over the speed limit on a motorway.

But I can kind of see their reasoning for it.

In the UK you get points on your license with most infractions too, and once you have too many points you lose your licence.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I think you mean .25%-.5% of income. .0025% of 100k is $2.50 =)

I think it's an interesting thought, just like a flat tax to replace income tax is an interesting thought. That being said I think it would be tremendously difficult to implement.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I think it's an interesting thought, just like a flat tax to replace income tax is an interesting thought. That being said I think it would be tremendously difficult to implement.
    25% of $100,000 would be $25,000.

.0025 x $100,000= $250

I shouldn't have put % behind it. That was my bad.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jran3
    jran3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ah, another take on class warfare/envy. If you got more, you're bad and should have to pay more for the same infractions. No.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree. Punishing people for being successful is a ridiculous concept.

Speeding and other traffic infractions have the same potential consequences whether the offender makes $10,000, $100,000 or $1,000,000 per year. The punishment should be based on the degree of the offense, not the size of the offender's bank account.

What's next? Grocery and gas prices relative to the purchaser's annual income?
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    that is what points on the license are for.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    People who can't afford to pay their tickets can choose community service. People who make more money may not have a problem paying a $250 ticket, but can't you get your license suspended if you have more than 3 a year?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    And of course there's no people driving out there on suspended licenses or no licenses.

IDEA Fitness member
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    No...this is simply not fair.

I should not have to pay more for the same infraction that someone else got simply because I make more money. That's not my problem and it's ridiculous.

You do the crime, you pay the fine. It's that simple.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    People who can't afford to pay their tickets can choose community service. People who make more money may not have a problem paying a $250 ticket, but can't you get your license suspended if you have more than 3 a year?
    There are laws that help protect people from having a license NOT to drive. If a persons NEEDS to drive to work, they can't have their license taken away. They are ONLY supposed to drive to go to work and back, but how is that tracked?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Actually, Ninerbuff, this poster is correct. 25% of 100,000 is 25,000. .25% of 100,000 is 250. Gotta mind those decimal points.

Anyway, it makes sense in theory, but the truly rich, the truly elite, end up hiring personal drivers who work for pennies and are paid in other dividends--lodging, food, etc. So the rich get where they want to go and the driver pays pennies for the tickets anyway.
    -wtk
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I should not have to pay more for the same infraction that someone else got simply because I make more money. That's not my problem and it's ridiculous.

But that's the point. Lots of people who have a lot of money DON'T have a problem paying the fine. So where's the deterrent to stop them from doing the infraction?

IDEA Fitness member
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

I agree with this. So, because someone worked harder or longer to get to where they're at, they should be punished more severely? Pathetic.

This goes back to the whole Occupy crap the lazy people started a few months back.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    So, because someone worked harder or longer to get to where they're at, they should be punished more severely? Pathetic.
    I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with the income/speeding ticket idea; however, I will say that I completely disagree with this. It is a facile argument to believe that someone with more worked harder or longer.
    -wtk
  • michael300891
    Options
    Im all for it, if your earning £1mil+ a year whats a £250 speeding ticket going to bother you for. If the punishment for a crime doesnt bother you, then your far more likely to commit the crime. I try to avoid speeding half because I dont want to hurt anyone and half because I cant afford a £250 ticket. If that didnt bother me im 50% more likely to speed. Checkout this guys $1mil speeding ticket: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/13/swedish-man-may-pay-largest-speeding-fine-ever/
  • michael300891
    Options
    I dont believe anyone is "punishing" the rich by increasing the cost of their ticket. They have more, so the percentage of their income that it costs to pay the ticket is the same even if the ticket is greater.
  • KaiHuk
    KaiHuk Posts: 49
    Options
    So because I have achieved a greater wealth than someone else, in a situation where a mistake is made I must pay more ? Seems perfectly logical...
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree with this. It is a facile argument to believe that someone with more worked harder or longer.
    -wtk
    Agreed. Working hard and long has nothing to do with income level. My husband has 3 Master's Degrees and is a theology teacher and assistant principal. He worked long and hard for those degrees, but has a modest income.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    In for all the rich people hate :sad:
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    And of course there's no people driving out there on suspended licenses or no licenses.

well then one is violating a whole different law and if one get caught there are penalties. While not everyone get nailed for it, those that do regardless of income will get driving privileges revoked.