Pay a speeding ticket based on your income?

Options

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    But that's the point. Lots of people who have a lot of money DON'T have a problem paying the fine. So where's the deterrent to stop them from doing the infraction?
    You can only have so many tickets before it affects your insurance and your license, regardless of how much money you make. That's the deterent.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. So, because someone worked harder or longer to get to where they're at, they should be punished more severely? Pathetic.

This goes back to the whole Occupy crap the lazy people started a few months back.
    You ever dig ditches for a living? I would definitely bet they work hard yet don't make as much as manager at McDonald's. COST helps to deter people from engaging in risk acts. When people get hit in their pocket books, they tend to pay attention more.
    Easy solve for the rich (and anyone else). Don't speed. Problem solved.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    But that's the point. Lots of people who have a lot of money DON'T have a problem paying the fine. So where's the deterrent to stop them from doing the infraction?
    You can only have so many tickets before it affects your insurance and your license, regardless of how much money you make. That's the deterent.
    You have to go to traffic court and sit in there sometime the WHOLE day. You'll find that there are several repeat offenders and the rich ones have TRAFFIC LAWYERS come in for them and negotiate a much lesser infraction. Trust me on the entertainment value.

IDEA Fitness member
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    This is an old tale from back home. To explain this you should know that back home, ANYONE can stop the train via a lever in every room of the train

So this father and son were traveling in the train. The kid was goofing around and pulled the lever to stop the entire train. Conductor came in and demanded an explanation. Father said "Oh he was just playing, sorry".
    Conductor: "Thats no excuse, theres a 50 rupees fine for that" (about 75cents)
    Father hands the conductor money and everything goes its merry way.

Few minutes later, kid pulls the lever again
    Conductor: "Why did you stop the train again?"
    Father: "Kid was playing...I cannot stop a kid from playing"
    Conductor: "*sigh* 50 rupees please"

The train on that trip was stopped about 8 times for no reason. Each time, because the fine was so little, father just didn't cared because 50 rupees was nothing for him. It was enough to provide him let the kid have some entertainment for that much amount.

Moral, if you keep fines so little for somebody who can easily afford it, they wouldn't care about it
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I would agree with this. While I can see where you're coming from with 'rich' people snubbing their nose at the fines, I can also see some deadbeat doing the same and taking advantage of it.

I would *think* the only way to enforce it would be thru your tax statements or W-2 or something like that, and there are plenty of deadbeats out there who don't file taxes or don't claim income.
  • taunto
    Options
    You have to go to traffic court and sit in there sometime the WHOLE day. You'll find that there are several repeat offenders and the rich ones have TRAFFIC LAWYERS come in for them and negotiate a much lesser infraction. Trust me on the entertainment value.

IDEA Fitness member

Niner tells the truth
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree. Punishing people for being successful is a ridiculous concept.

x100
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm not sure I would agree with this. While I can see where you're coming from with 'rich' people snubbing their nose at the fines, I can also see some deadbeat doing the same and taking advantage of it.

I would *think* the only way to enforce it would be thru your tax statements or W-2 or something like that, and there are plenty of deadbeats out there who don't file taxes or don't claim income.
    Lol, that's easy. They just end up going to jail.................:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • KaiHuk
    KaiHuk Posts: 49
    Options
    This is an old tale from back home. To explain this you should know that back home, ANYONE can stop the train via a lever in every room of the train

So this father and son were traveling in the train. The kid was goofing around and pulled the lever to stop the entire train. Conductor came in and demanded an explanation. Father said "Oh he was just playing, sorry".
    Conductor: "Thats no excuse, theres a 50 rupees fine for that" (about 75cents)
    Father hands the conductor money and everything goes its merry way.

Few minutes later, kid pulls the lever again
    Conductor: "Why did you stop the train again?"
    Father: "Kid was playing...I cannot stop a kid from playing"
    Conductor: "*sigh* 50 rupees please"

The train on that trip was stopped about 8 times for no reason. Each time, because the fine was so little, father just didn't cared because 50 rupees was nothing for him. It was enough to provide him let the kid have some entertainment for that much amount.

Moral, if you keep fines so little for somebody who can easily afford it, they wouldn't care about it

Cool anecdote bro.
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    Although...this whole argument implies that someone IS going get a speeding ticket.

I know plenty of people (sadly I'm not one of them) who have never received a ticket, for anything, so this sort of law wouldn't affect them at all.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree. Punishing people for being successful is a ridiculous concept.

I suppose that means you define "success" by the amount of money you make.
  • taunto
    Options
    The ONLY problem I see with this are the kids (who, I assume, are the larger population of these repeated offenses) will not be "schooled" on their behavior since daddy pays and if you go by their parents income, then you're risking taxing alot of kids (like me) who like to be independent regardless of their parents good fortune
  • JoolieW68
    Options

Lol, that's easy. They just end up going to jail.................:laugh:

AH! Hadn't even thought of that! Brilliant!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Speeding and other traffic infractions have the same potential consequences whether the offender makes $10,000, $100,000 or $1,000,000 per year. The punishment should be based on the degree of the offense, not the size of the offender's bank account.

What's next? Grocery and gas prices relative to the purchaser's annual income?

Don't laugh...a former employer charged for parking based upon grade level...we were wondering when we'd have to show our paystubs in the cafeteria....
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Although...this whole argument implies that someone IS going get a speeding ticket.

I know plenty of people (sadly I'm not one of them) who have never received a ticket, for anything, so this sort of law wouldn't affect them at all.
    DING DING. I'll have to dig it up, but a stat I read had "professionals" receiving more speeding tickets than their blue collar counterparts.

IDEA Fitness member
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    It would be simpler if it wasn't money at all, but some community service. That way everyone gets equal punishment.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The ONLY problem I see with this are the kids (who, I assume, are the larger population of these repeated offenses) will not be "schooled" on their behavior since daddy pays and if you go by their parents income, then you're risking taxing alot of kids (like me) who like to be independent regardless of their parents good fortune
    I'm thinking that kids can't drive if the car is taken away.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    DING DING. I'll have to dig it up, but a stat I read had "professionals" receiving more speeding tickets than their blue collar counterparts.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/ascii/cdsp02.txt

It's old, but gives info on speeding stoppages on gender, race, etc.

IDEA Fitness member
  • taunto
    Options
    I'm thinking that kids can't drive if the car is taken away.

IDEA Fitness member

But just like the adults can bring in the traffic lawyers, so can the kids who's parents can afford them. On the flip side, you're still hurting the more mature mentality, independent kids who're trying to make it on their own.

BTW, by kids in mean folks who're still fairly young (18-25?)