Food Addicts Anonymous??

Options

Replies

• Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I lost two pounds!!! I'm so happy! I was worried last night because I went about 300 calories over and didn't get any exercise but I guess the Honduran feast/famine diet worked. :laugh: This is the lightest I've been since my first semester of college, back when they had a mac'n'cheese bar in the cafeteria.
  • fooja
    fooja Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    hey.....im addicted to food too!! im totally addicted to peanut butter!! lol, i just cant say no! now, when i was younger (like 16-19) i drank and smoked weed and when i got preg i just quit it all. and i quit drinking with all my pregnancies. i even quit drinking a few months ago so i can lose weight. now why is it that i can quit those things no problem but i cant quit eating?? WTF!!! i even have beer still in my fridge and everyday i see it everytime i grab my water and it doesnt bother me.......but when i open that pantry for something.....the peanut butter is screamin EAT ME, EAT ME!!!!!! lol, food addiction is definately a disease, just as drug and alcohol addiction are!!!

Welcome, fooja! I am also addicted to peanut butter. Have you tried the natural p-b from Peanut Butter & Co.? Way less cals and fat. And it sooooooo good!!!

well i am picky about my peanut butter...lol!! i will only eat jif. and ive tried the low fat kind and it just sux! ill have to try the kind you mentioned, if i can find it.
  • flbeachbuddy
    flbeachbuddy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love PB also. Can't buy it and have it around. It isn't there for long!

One thing I have done recently is to get almond butter. It satisfies the craving, but is a little grainier - I use less and don't go way over on it. Also, it's not cheap, so that helps to reduce the amount also.

I buy the almond butter at the health food store, although I think that you can get some in the regular food store now. I try to get the natural to avoid the partially hydrogenated crap, stir it up and keep it in the fridge.

I am a food addict also - I actually attended a Food Addicts Anonymous program (that's what I thought this posting was about at first). They are really extreme - no flour (not even wheat), no sugar and even sweeteners are bad. They concentrate on other carbs and barley flour is ok. Several mentioned that their arthritis, aches and pains went away after removing these things from their diets. Didn't go back, I don't think I can do that.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Hi beachbuddy. Wow, that does sound really extreme, I didn't even know a program like that actually existed. I don't think I could do that, either!
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Options
    I lost two pounds!!! I'm so happy! I was worried last night because I went about 300 calories over and didn't get any exercise but I guess the Honduran feast/famine diet worked. :laugh: This is the lightest I've been since my first semester of college, back when they had a mac'n'cheese bar in the cafeteria.

ROFL OK I am sorry to laugh, but a mac-n-cheese bar in a college?????!?!? A mac-n-cheese bar anywhere?????? OH my.
    Congrats on the 2 pound victory, Sunsh1ne!!!! :flowerforyou: You go, girl!!!

fooja - I am picky about my p-b, too. Seriously, this p-b & co. cinnamon raisin swirl is the best thing I have ever tasted!

flbeach - I, too, went to a few FAA mtgs. way back when I was in college. A lot like AA, I thought. I liked the premise, but the group I attended were whiny and extremely, let me say it nicely, militant about their program. It wasn't a good fit for me.
    The almond butter is very expensive. I passed it up at the store today for that reason. Is it better for you than p-b?
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Well, ok, not a bar so much as a station in the cafeteria... they put pasta in a bowl (the small size could feed two or three people, the large five or six) and then you got to pick which cheeses, meats, and veggies they put in. They mixed it up, put it in an aluminum pan, put even MORE cheese on top, and then ran it through an oven for a minute. It was so tempting, and I thought I was "good" when I only had it once a week. I shouldn't have been having it once a month!
  • richardsrm
    richardsrm Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    glad you are back.........mac and cheese used to be my favorite in the school cafeteria. Lucky for me they started using whole wheat pasta. RUINED it for me Thank Goodness:laugh: Like you I enjoyed every morsal of the double helping I got . Not too bad this weekend It was a bit of a battle on Sunday I gave in a few times won't know the damage until Wednesday weigh in day. The Hershey kisses are gone Hugs to all Richie
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    How is everyone doing? After what happened over the holidays I'm somewhat loath to leave the thread quiet for a few days. I'm all moved in back at school, and I came armed with a bunch of 1.5-2 cup ziploc containers so that when I get dinner, I can immediately put half of it away for lunch the next day. So far, it's working. :smile: But then on the other hand, I found out the gym is closed until 2/15 for renovations. I'm thinking about the couch to 5K program just so that I can do something between now and then, but I'm worried it would be too much for me at this weight.
  • richardsrm
    Options
    what is the couch to 5 k ? I have seen several posts on it . Glad you are back at school and things are cool. I can't believe it but I have been so good about being honest with what I am putting in my mouth. The food diary has really helped. not sure but I think I have done almost 30 days of logging in.:smile: Thanks to all of you for encouraging me. No matter what I weigh tomorrow I am still a whole lot better since I have been doing this for myself:flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart: I am grateful to all of you
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Here's the C25K link --> http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Good for you! I think if you've kept an honest food diary and stayed close to your goal most days, you'll see at least some improvement. Let us know how weigh-in goes tomorrow!
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Wow! Me too I guess. I just lost my job and it was so easy to sit around the house and watch TV and snack to keep my mind off the fact that I am now job-less. I also make cakes for a semi-living. :wink: Which makes it pretty hard sometimes. I mean, I have to make sure it tastes good enough for someone to pay for. Anyway, I'm making small changes and have recently become obsessed with this site :heart: and instead of watching TV during the day, I walk the dog and play Wii Fit when I'm not job hunting.
  • manetta33
    Options
    My name is Stephanie and I too am a food addict. I have been stressed fighting with my husband about what's best for our family. I'm tired of him not listening to me. I told him I like having Mondays off instead of Wednesday but it doesn't work for him. He works afternoons and we have two boys one in 1st grade and the other 1/2 day kindergarten. I have to do homework with them every night. Thanks goodness he's not working 7 days anymore. The money is great and everything but my family needs more than that. I don't just need a provider. He told the other day that he will be back on days in the middle of February but in the summer he plans to go back on afternoons. Not because he can't be on days but for the money(O.T.) and a easier job. I tryed to discuss this with him but it's no use. So for once I haven't turned to food. I did 8 clementines today but better than cookies or junk. :smile: Thank goodness I was able to talk to friend today or I'd lost. She was so supportive. Sorry to be dumping but it's helping!!!:grumble:
  • bluenote
    Options
    manetta, dump away! That's what we're here for. :flowerforyou: I just want to say that I am SO proud of you for choosing oranges instead of junk! You're on your way!!!

Sun, glad you're safely back at school. Good idea about the leftovers!

I lost three pounds this week! I am so happy! Thank you all for motivating me and encouraging me!
  • manetta33
    Options
    Thanks bluenote!!:smile:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Way to go, Bluenote! You broke through your plateau! I am doing a happy dance for you in my dorm room. :flowerforyou:

Manetta, don't feel shy about sharing what stresses you. Pretty much all of us are emotional eaters, so we all no that venting is much lower-cal than trying to comfort yourself with food. That's exactly what the group is here for. :smile:
  • bluenote
    Options
    And what a plateau it was - four grueling weeks! :angry:
  • specialsong77
    specialsong77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Reading through everyone's posts I think I have discovered I am perhaps a part time food addict.... is that possible?

Sometimes I look to food for comfort when I am sad or depressed and half the time I just stop eating all together because I am just too upset and it makes me feel ill to eat. I almost find myself eating more when I am happy. Eating is a very social activity in my lifestyle. We go out with friends a lot and chat over coffee, food, drinks, etc...

It is so hard to be good in a group. I am a taster too. I can't just eat for the sake of eating. It has to taste good. But when something tastes good I have a tough time eating just until I am full. I forget myself and just keep picking and munching. I don't have the opportunity to cook family meals since it is just my husband and I so I'll opt for a sandwich or whatever for dinner if I am alone, but then get so hungry late at night I end up scarfing down some chips or something really bad to kill the hunger.

I know I need to learn how to cook better meals for one person so I don't eat too little earlier in the evening. Perhaps I need to go to bed earlier too. Sleep through the late night munchies... ok, now I'm rambling... hehehe...
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    :embarassed: Sorry. Double post.
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    OMG! You're my clone! I'm the same way. I lose 40-50 pounds during the summer and when I go back to work (I work at a high school) I gain the weight back. I always think to myself, "This time...this time THIS IS IT! I'm gonna keep it off!" NOT! I know exactly what I need to do to get the weight off, I just haven't been able to figure out how I can stay so dedicated while school is in session. I live in south Louisiana so food is not just survival, it is a way of life! I think about a food item and I want it so bad I'll obsess over it to destraction sometime. AARRGGHHHH! And I know what I'm doing while I'm doing it. I guess I just don't care enough about myself in those weak moments that I just think about the pleasure in the moment that I am getting from the food. AND, I LOVE TO COOK! I love to create recipes and cook huge meals and I love sharing the food and watching everyone enjoy the food I've created.

So, here I am. I've come full circle in nearly one year's time and all I have to show for it is a "true loss" of only 5 pounds. I'm determined to figure out the pieces to this puzzle. I've just got to find the right balance...
  • richardsrm
    Options
    just weighed in. amazing another pound . I guess you guys are right....it isn't about food it's about control:smile: yea, I will not quit. Ahmee, I work at a high school too!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!