Food Addicts Anonymous??

Options

Replies

• mirandag26
    mirandag26 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm Miranda and I to am a food Addict, I LOVE food!! if it tastes good I like to eat it lol...my weakness although in the past I know I made some really bad food choices I'd eat big portions because it tasted soooo good but now I've learned I can still eat good food just not ALOT of it. And I've begun to eat healthier foods too and they really aren't that bad!! I'm a stay at home mom right now so it is so hard when I'm bored not to go raid the cupboard or the fridge but someone gave me some advice on that and i've been chewing gum or just going to the gym when I get bored its helping I've lost 13lbs so far!! the control I really need is the soda its sooo addicting and I can't help it but I've cut down alot going from only drinking soda to not drinking it at all to every now and then having some so I'm working on that but I always feel bad about it after I like I gave in its my second weakness but in time I'm sure I'll be able to kick it!
  • Weightn2Lose
    Options
    I actually visited the Over Eaters web site. They had a set of around 15 questions and said if you answered yes to 3 or more then you are probably an addict. I answered yes to all but 2! I know Im an addict. I eat all of the time or Im thinking about eating. While Im eating breakfast I am planning lunch, while I am eating lunch I am planning dinner. I even planned my future carrer around food ( I want to own a bakery ). 8 cookies, huh, I loose count! I used to get a can of Sweetend condinced milk and hide it in the fridge so it would be my little secret treat when there wasnt anyone else home. I could eat the whole can in one sitting.

Now I have decided to become a different kind of addict! Im addicted to counting calories and making the healthier choices. This time I get rewarded for my addiction. Everytime I step on the scale and it has not gone up, or better yet gone down, it feeds my new addiction! My next venture.....excersise!!!!!!!
  • Darkraven
    Options
    My name is Suzy and I am without a doubt a food addict. That took me a long time to come to terms with. I am finally at a place in my life where I feel strong and safe enough to face it. I never thought I'd have the will power to refocus that addiction elsewhere...elsewhere that is more healthy. Now when I get the craving from happy, sad, boredom or whatever, I walk. Doesn't matter when or where...I walk. If it's late at night I make sure I have cottage cheese and pepper in the house. I stopped making excuses for myself and now my mental health is where it needs to be in order for my physical health to be on the right track.

I loved reading through these posts knowing I'm not alone and this is something real and not just a cop out. Food addiction is just like a drug addiction. You need the food to feel in control and satisfied. Now I get those same feelings from taking control of my body and what I put in it. I still look horrible but I feel amazing which I can honestly say I've never felt in my life. I know my outside will eventually catch up with my inside and that keeps me going.

Well done everyone!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Rich, keep up the good work! I bet you feel great right now. :flowerforyou:

Welcome to the group, Miranda, Suzy, and Weightn2lose. :smile: I hear you! It's great that you're taking steps towards conquering your problems with food. Those are definitely some great tips to share, and this is a great place to brag about your successes and vent about your roadblocks.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Hey, this save-half-for-later thing is really working. :smile: I've cut my average lunch calories by about 20%, and my dinner calories by almost 50%! Of course, the part I like is that the overpriced food at school is not so overpriced, now that it's feeding me twice. I'm getting excited about this week's weigh in, because I've been doing really well.
  • tinysheldon
    Options
    I LOVE FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am so happy for everyone that has been doing well! I know that it is hard!
    I am the type of person that can eat what i want and as much as i want and i end up LOSING weight......(i know you all hate me) :p
    BUT that doesn't mean its good for me. I have to try just as hard as anyone else to make sure what i am eating is good for me...but for all us ADDICTS...PUT THE FOOD DOWN!!!! lol
    Good luck to everyone!
  • richardsrm
    richardsrm Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tiny and Sunshine, I like the idea about eatting out. Yesterday I was with two people at a luncheon who did just that. I had a big mess of leftovers on my plate to throw out...............hind sight, there would have been less guilt if I had just taken half home for another meal! Anyhow i hope everyone has a good day . Snow today. Hugs Richie
  • richardsrm
    Options
    Ate at McDonalds today:explode: Just sort of started me on down ward spin. Thought I better share before I do any more damagee.....I wasn't as bad as I have been in the past but it was mindless eatting ............I can control this.........I can control this...........Feel better just getting it off my chest. I will not give in!:cry:
  • lauren106
    Options
    Hey, I am Lauren and I AM a food addict! It doesnt matter what it is.. anything sweet, tasty, tastless.. if its edible i will eat it in vast quantities and it is almost always the food that runs out before i stop.

I am an emotional eater, a boredom eater, a tired eater and a how much can i eat in the next 10 minutes eater. I don't know how to stop and afterwards I feel so crap about it I just want to eat it all over again!

I am trying to stuff my face with fruit, cereal, vegetables anything remotely healthy rather than chocolate and take aways, which i suppose is a good thing but I feel like unless i stop giving myself a hard time and learn to control it i will never lose weight and be happy!

Any tips on how to overide your cravings?!

xxxx
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Hey, the important thing is that you identified a negative behavior, and you were able to stop it rather than follow your old course of action to it's conclusion. Eating at McDonald's might feel like a loss but if you made better choices this time, it's a win!

I actually got my butt in gear and did day one of the C25K program. I really, REALLY hate running but I have to admit that after stretching and showering I felt fantastic. I guess I'll just have to remind myself of that Saturday when I don't want to get out of my warm cozy bed to go running. :laugh: I'm hoping I can go at the normal program rate but I might be stuck on week 1 for a while, because I couldn't even do the running circuits and ended up just walking, no running, for the last 10-ish minutes. I'm hoping it's just because I didn't have enough water that I pooped out.
  • Jlinares
    Options
    Hi, my name is James

...and I'm a bread addict.

I can smell a stale slice of white bread through a wall. Nevermind fresh baked, toasted, grilled, burned - whatever! If it has enriched wheat or heck, even poor flour I'm gonna find it. Nothing satiates my soul's craving like a big chomp into Ciabatta or Sourdough! As I type this I've managed to short circuit several keys on my keyboard by drooling. Unfortunately because I am such an addict I have allowed myself to balloon in weight. I come from a family of big people. Big people with voracious appetites for all things "bready". My moms famous saying is "you can't fill up unless you have bread or tortillas with every meal." - In my innocence of love for my dear sweet 5ft. tall mother - I listened...for years. Then I hit rock bottom. It happened one night a couple of weeks ago.

I was alone (thank God) - I was on my hundredth attempt at "dieting" and decided to give up carbs after 5pm. Well into the first half-hour of the first hour I was doing fine. Little did I know that by the end of the night I would find myself face deep in a box of corn flakes. I rationalized my weakness by convincing myself I could quit anytime I wanted. I just need one more biscuit, one more pastry, one more Ritz - one last piece of God's love to help me kick. It started when I walked by the kitchen table and I sensed the French bread being French...that is to say - it was antagonizing me. "What ees wrong fatboy? Eh? Do you not weesh to taste me? To have me play in your mouth?"

I closed my eyes and chanted SHUT UP! SHUT UP ! SHUT UP!

Then the tortillas joined in when they smelled blood in the water. "Hey...meester...ju want to eat me? Si? I would be really good warm, weeth lots of butter!"

I was clearly going mad. Bread and tortillas don't normally talk...right? RIGHT!?

At any rate, I cracked like Ready Mix Concrete. The cheers I received from all those carbs was GLORIOUS! Then....I saw my reflection in the window. With the box of corn flakes, cereal bits stuck to my face and falling on the floor. I was absolutely disgusted with my image and behavior. I stared at myself and asked "what am I doing!?" I threw that box away right there, the bread, the tortillas, the crackers, cookies - all out. Two days later - I found MFP with the suggestion from a close friend. Now I look back at that crazy night and my reflection - the monster I saw staring back at me scared me straight. Now, I eat fruits, veggies and lots of chicken. Do I still crave carbs? Yes. But the real question is: Do carbs still control my life? Hell no!
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Options
    James, your wit far surpasses any carb devotion you may have. Stick with us and your veggies will sing. :wink:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Welcome to the group, James. It's a serious problem, but it sounds like you are on the right track, and we're here to help you stay on it. And if your welcome post is any indication, we're going to want you to stay for a good while, because that is the single funniest food encounter narration I have ever read on MFP. :laugh: You have a great sense of humor.
  • richardsrm
    Options
    James, I loved your post...............my carbs talk too:flowerforyou: ! Like you I have to throw them in the trash and race to the dump otherwise I might try to rescue them!:laugh: Today is another day.........I will try to run for 30 seconds...........the couch to running program will work I know it will but I am in pretty bad shape. Never have run anywhere in my life.............I was one of those kids who skipped PE. Hugs to all, Richie
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Also a food addict.

The real insanity with me is a lot of times I have been depressed about my weight, so what do I do? EAT! How does that make any sense at all?

I've been doing so well since 09/08/09. I've pinpointed my issues and now I'm using exercise as a stress reliever and self-esteem builder instead of food. :smile: And I've lost 21 pounds. :drinker:

I do this too. I will weigh and I will get so discouraged that I just go shovel the food in. How crazy is that? I am trying to make my new motto "Eat to live instead of living to eat".
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    That's a great motto, Bamboo!
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, James. I totally understand where you are coming from...we ate rice with every meal, every day...white rice. I still love it but do manage to control my portion to one cup. We all love carbs! It is a challenge every day to limit them! Good Luck!:happy:
  • bluenote
    Options
    I'm actually starting to feel really good. I guess the pneumonia is gone. I can breathe much better now. I am noticing that I am not as out of breath taking my trash can down the hill to the curb and then up again to get inside. This is a big deal for me! :bigsmile:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Yay! My dad has had pneumonia several times, I know how big a deal it is to finally be breathing easy again. :flowerforyou: This is a big week for you, you're feeling better AND you broke through your wall!
  • bluenote
    Options
    I am so proud of myself! Thanks for noticing! :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!