Coffee is not breakfast.

Options

Replies

• AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I don’t understand why one would drink their calories rather than eat them. Personally I only drink water, tea and sometimes coffee however most if not all my calories are in my food. I make sure I eat breakfast if I don’t I’m starving by lunch and we all know being hungry works against weight loss, you shouldn’t be hungry throughout your day. Lots of healthy snacks between healthy meals. Just coffee for breakfast seems like a waste of good calories that can be eaten and would be way more satisfying.

Since becoming aware of all of this, I've stopped drinking anything with calories except coffee, tea, and milk. Because I agree, except that the aforementioned three items are essential to my happiness.
    We are all different and our bodies respond to diets in different ways but eating right is universal, no matter your body type as long as you put heathy food inside, your body will begin to look healthy on the outside even with little to no exercise.

Agreed! Fortuntely it doesn't get more right than quaffing hot caffeinated beverages!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    NAY.. coffee is not breakfast. I am not even allowed to have it while I'm working with the nutritionist !!!! No caffeine allowed. It's helped me lose weight and my metabolism is going full steam!!

Interesting, caffeine has been shown to improve weight loss.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I've had coffee for breakfast before.

I also mixed in a scoop of protein powder, 1/2 cup of almond milk and some ice. Once in the blender it was DELISH!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I often drink coffee and nothing else. Without the coffee, my reply to this thread may have been more aggressive and rude. With it, I will tell you that I have successfully met my goals so far, so I do not agree with the whole "You have to eat or you will stay fat/be weak/not build muscle/suck in general/not be as good as me" stuff that goes around.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I don’t understand why one would drink their calories rather than eat them. ... Just coffee for breakfast seems like a waste of good calories that can be eaten and would be way more satisfying.

a cup of coffee has between 2-5 calories. I am just not seeing how that is a 'waste' of good calories... even with a tsp of sugar it is only about 20 calories...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    coffee can be breakfast. there's no such thing as eating as soon as you wake up to "kick start your metabolism." That was a theory about 15 years ago, but it's not really all that important unless skipping it makes you too hungry to make wise decisions when you do eat. Today I woke up at 430 and went to the gym, I didn't actually eat solid food until abot 845 . . . 415 minutes of waiting to eat isn't going to stall anything, and the only kind of weight loss that would occur if I ate before exercise would be from the purging.

It's not what you do at x time of day that matters, it's what you do in the aggregate that counts.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is a necessity to "jump start" anything. People succeed with intermittent fasting and lose weight, which is basically like skipping breakfast anyway.
  • fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I always have it, and if I ever end up skipping it, I feel sick to my stomach until lunchtime comes around. I guess some people need it and some don't.
  • seardefilip
    Options
    I log my coffee WITH my breakfast- but it is just complimentary- not the breakfast itself! MUST EAT TO LOSE
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    I've had coffee for breakfast before.

I also mixed in a scoop of protein powder, 1/2 cup of almond milk and some ice. Once in the blender it was DELISH!

Oh yes!

My protein shakes are now a scoop and a bit of protein powder, 8 oz of milk or water (depending on things and stuff), freaking instant coffee (can you believe it? But it tastes fine when in other stuff), and two ice cubes in a shaker. One moment there's this big bottle of protein stuff, and the next there's only a smile remaining.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I don’t understand why one would drink their calories rather than eat them. ... Just coffee for breakfast seems like a waste of good calories that can be eaten and would be way more satisfying.

a cup of coffee has between 2-5 calories. I am just not seeing how that is a 'waste' of good calories... even with a tsp of sugar it is only about 20 calories...

Maybe they are thinking of when you add creamer or get coffee from a coffeeshop and its a calorie bomb?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I take mine with a sweet n low and some fat free milk (I always put in a quarter cup but it's probably less) for a whopping 23 calories . . . whoa!
  • GmeB
    GmeB Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    :angry: :explode: ask her how many vitamins are in that coffee.I used to do the coffee only thing in the morning,and it just sets you up for failure. She should redefine breakfast for herself to fit her needs.
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    haha, don't you just hate it when you start a thread about arguing with a coworker... and YOU are the one who's wrong! :laugh:

^^ love this :happy:
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Coffee does not have calories to fuel your body, therefore should not be considered a breakfast.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Maybe they are thinking of when you add creamer or get coffee from a coffeeshop and its a calorie bomb?

Sure, it can be.

But a cappuccino made with a cup of skim milk is going to run you 90 calories and net you 9g of protein. And there's no real need to sugar it because steamed milk takes on a slightly sweet taste. And even if you do, that's another 15 calories.

Anyway, a cup of milk is generally good food, IMHO.
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I don't eat breakfast either except on very rare occasions. I chose to eat about 11 am. It's coffee for me and I've lost 100 pounds. If she's not losing it's because she's eating too much the rest of the day. But that's only my opinion.
  • pregmeg119
    pregmeg119 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I eat when I am hungry, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day but I typically don't eat until 9-11 even though i have been awake since 6-7. I usually am not very hungry when I first wake and even with coffee I still want to go back to bed just because I'm not a happy morning person :P

I agree with a PP who said the weight loss debates are really out of hand. Just find what works for you and don't attack a fellow MFP'er for benefiting from a different method. As long as they are eating enough and not starving themselves, it shouldn't matter to the rest of us what time they have their first meal, in my opinion...
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Drinking coffee completely sabotages my efforts. I gave it up for a few months and then let it in again little by little. In no time, I was up to my pot in the morning (foregoing my protein smoothie or other breakfast) and realizing at 12-1 I was starving and stuffing my face, usually with convenience food or fast food again. When that happened, my day was shot so I'd skip a workout and eat an okay dinner (or a flat out crappy one).

So long story short, yes- I think that coffee in lieu of food can be detrimental to true balanced health for me. I also have ruined my bladder with all the caffeine and the problems have arisen again as I've fallen back in the habit. I'm not one for moderation- it's all or nothing so once again, it's nothing.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I don’t understand why one would drink their calories rather than eat them. Personally I only drink water, tea and sometimes coffee however most if not all my calories are in my food. I make sure I eat breakfast if I don’t I’m starving by lunch and we all know being hungry works against weight loss, you shouldn’t be hungry throughout your day. Lots of healthy snacks between healthy meals. Just coffee for breakfast seems like a waste of good calories that can be eaten and would be way more satisfying.

We are all different and our bodies respond to diets in different ways but eating right is universal, no matter your body type as long as you put heathy food inside, your body will begin to look healthy on the outside even with little to no exercise.

Michelle <3

Black coffee = like 5 calories a cup.

My iced coffee with sweetened condensed milk (bliss in a glass) = 135 calories/16 oz glass.

A mocha, yes.... I can understand not wanting to waste calories on that - that's why my favorite (Caribou Coffee Campfire, 430 calories for a medium even with skim and no whip) is a rare treat. But I have no problem drinking 2 glasses of iced coffee at 270 calories a day. Especially when I don't eat breakfast. Breakfast has never been enjoyable to me. Coffee is.