Coffee is not breakfast.

Options

Replies

• AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Besides, how many studies of school kids do you need to look at it to see that people work better when they eat?

Also, I'd be surprised if they drink coffee.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat a good breakfast I overeat at dinner and snack afterwards.

Besides, how many studies of school kids do you need to look at it to see that people work better when they eat?

I never ate breakfast until I was pregnant -- all through school. I always felt sick in the mornings. And I was an honor roll student.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The verdict here is "mistrial"!!!

Do you have kids? I do. We asked so many people their opinions about what type of birth to have, where to have it, what to use for a diaper rash, is breast milk better than soy etc. The one thing I learned is that everyone has an "opinion" that they all think is correct. And most people can find some study or science to backup their opinion. It's up to you to do your own homework and decide which you think works best for you and roll with it.

Your health is no different. You will find various (some just hilarious) opinions on MFP. Take them with a grain of salt, and definitely don't argue over any of them. If you want a professional opinion, seek a pro.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Love coffee. Love eating when i want. Trying the whole spread your food out over 6 meals didnt work for me...i never felt satisfied, felt like a food tease.

i like to CHOMP!!! Id rather save my calories for a little later in the day and enjoy them AHMnomNOMNOm

you cant jump start your metabolism....VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM it isnt a motorcycle.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Your health is no different. You will find various (some just hilarious) opinions on MFP. Take them with a grain of salt, and definitely don't argue over any of them. If you want a professional opinion, seek a pro.

Some of the stuff written here, supposedly relaying advice directly from a "pro", leaves me a bit worried about some of the pros as well.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Lots of coffee is the ultimate breakfast.

How many calories do heart palpitations burn?
    '
    I'm hoping a LOT- I have them all the time. My heart rate goes up to 170 within just 5 minutes on the elliptical: even without using arms. I like to pretendd it means I more calories & faster, LOL

And I have breakfast- but usually a protein shake, which I often set down somewhere in the laundry room or living room and don't find again until lunch time when I am wodering why I am extra hungry.

I want a HRM now.
  • LilMissSunshine_
    Options
    If I don't have coffee in the am, I am a ragging b*tch. But, I have to have something to go with it. Otherwise it makes me poop. Sometimes when I start pooping, I can't stop. Especially if I am still drinking coffee.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Eating Breakfast to lose weight is based on a correlation found in a weight loss study. The study showed those that ate breakfast tended to not pack on extra pounds compared to a group that skipped breakfast.

This was a correlation, not a causation. The CAUSE of the weight gain was due to the people skipping breakfast overcompensating later in the day, eating overall more calories than the other group.

For "Breakfast", I have a cup of coffee. Usually snack on an apple or other piece of fruit before eating. I simply am not hungry till around noon.

It really is calories in vs calories out. Despite popular belief, carbs, protein, and fat aren't half off before 10am or double after 6pm.
  • kpwatson
    kpwatson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I find that I eat less during the day if I start the day with something high in protein. Either an egg and a piece of toast or a protein bar. I do drink 2 cups of coffee too with stevia and a little almond milk, but the amt of milk could hardly count as breakfast alone. I agree with you about getting off on the right foot, and it makes since about the metabolism since coffee is hardly fuel.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    If I don't have coffee in the am, I am a ragging b*tch. But, I have to have something to go with it. Otherwise it makes me poop. Sometimes when I start pooping, I can't stop. Especially if I am still drinking coffee.

What a lovely and detailed reply. Awesome!
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I got into a rather heated conversation (if you will) with a coworker who continues to complain about not being able to lose weight. I asked her to tell me what she eats during the day and the first thing I noticed was that she didn't eat breakfast. But debated with me about the fact that coffee is a perfectly acceptable breakfast and that would be enough to "jump start" her metabolism.

So, wondering what MFP's thoughts are on breakfast? Yay? Nay?

My 1st thought was the H*@# you say! :D

I'm new to this and not long ago coffee was breakfast, lunch, snack 1, snack 2... you get the idea. When this was the case I often had no appetite for a long time after waking up caffeine sometimes works as an appetite suppressant.

Amazingly I have had NO coffee for 3 or 4 days now. More surprisingly I'm not dying for a cup. I mainly gave it up because I can't stand diet sweeteners (yes including and especially Stevia) and I don't like unsweetened coffee. Not really interested in learning to like it either.

Anyhoo you can't tell a hard core coffee drinker anything so save your energy for your workout. :)
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    The idea of needing breakfast to "jump start your metabolism" is a myth. Timing of meals simply does not matter when it comes to losing weight.

Personally, I've never been a breakfast eater, my whole life. I've tried to force it on previous weight loss attempts (because everybody says you have to) and had a miserable time. I'd be ravenously hungry for the rest of the day no matter what I ate, irritable, and just generally in a foul mood. Now, I usually get up around 7-8AM and don't eat until after noon. And I feel great, with tons more energy and a much more stable and positive mood.

If eating breakfast works best for you, do it. If not eating breakfast works best for you, then do that. Simple as that.
  • lolly2721
    lolly2721 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I personally crave breakfast when I get up. I am sluggish without it and don't randomly eat as much if I have breakfast. So, I would say thumbs up to breakfast.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer that breakfast is necessary. Some days I might eat a little less...or a little more, but I always EAT breakfast. I would be a horrific person if I didn't. Hunger would take over and I would flip on someone!! ...which might be the case without her coffee? IDK....let her keep complaining about not losing and KEEP drinking her coffee.

If I haven't eaten breakfast by 9 am, I'm starving.
  • hijude57
    hijude57 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Count me among those who have coffee for breakfast. :drinker:
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer that breakfast is necessary. Some days I might eat a little less...or a little more, but I always EAT breakfast. I would be a horrific person if I didn't. Hunger would take over and I would flip on someone!! ...which might be the case without her coffee? IDK....let her keep complaining about not losing and KEEP drinking her coffee.

I am losing weight faster than ever before and only have coffee for breakfast. :)

It's really calories in vs calories out. Timing has nothing to do with it.

If you are hungry, eat. If not, don't. We all have our own different schedules that we stick to. And the reason why we all say "my way works!" is because timing DOESN'T MATTER (within reason, can't have a life's worth of calories in one meal and never eat again lol).
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

This means breakfast is necessary for you. That's great but let's not make blanket statements based on our own experiences.
  • suegmune
    suegmune Posts: 81
    Options
    Tell her to start logging her calories and exercise daily and you'll quickly see what she's doing wrong. I had no idea....until I started logging. Well, I had SOME idea, but was in denial. LOL.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    But debated with me about the fact that coffee is a perfectly acceptable breakfast and that would be enough to "jump start" her metabolism.

Coffee works for me. And I'm not a car with a dead battery. My metabolism does not need a daily jump start. When my car needs a daily jump start I get it fixed. If my metabolism needed a daily jump start I'd see a Dr. cause there would be something seriously wrong with me.
  • Cynice
    Cynice Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you really wanted to why couldnt you make a coffee protein shake or smoothie, then you could make coffee a breakfast (: Make "cleaner" frappucino