Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Interesting article from Martin Berkhan, creator of Leangains.com

http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

Discuss....
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY. All of that holds true for me. When I eat a "healthy, substantial" breakfast...I ALWAYS end of overeating later in the day. I actually feel pretty damn good when I don't eat until noon or later.

Discuss....
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    You are totally correct. In an ideal world, breakfast would be your biggest meal of the day, and meals would decrease in size as the day goes on.

Breakfast jump-starts your metabolism and gets it working, as does eating regularly (snacks and meals spaced out by 3-4 hours).
    You will find this information in practically every diet, fitness, nutrition, etc. book you pick up.

More than that, a good, healthy, substantive breakfast with plenty of protein sets you on the right track for success later on in the day. Countless studies have shown that people who eat breakfast are less likely to binge later in the day and are likely to lose more weight. You do not do yourself any good by cutting calories in the morning and saving them for dinner, when your body needs them less.

I used to have whimpy 150-cal breakfasts when I first started. I did this in order to save up calories for later in the day, because that's when I was always hungrier (I was never that hungry in the morning, so I figured why "waste" calories then?). Something along the lines of 1/2 a cup of cheerios and 3/4 a cup of nonfat milk. I always went over my calorie count and constantly snacked throughout the day. I was also really tired in the morning.

A few months ago, I started eating more for breakfast...I have about a 300-calorie breakfast: a banana with either a big bowl of oatmeal (with pecans) or a bowl of cereal. I feel less hungry at night and during dinner. I actually am less hungry in the evening and more hungry in the morning...I guess this is something along the lines of "form follows function" :P.

To sum it up, stick to breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day, and studies continue to show overwhelming amounts of evidence that it is linked to good health and weight loss. Your body needs fuel most in the morning and burns it up quicker than in the evening :)

I don't even...
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY. All of that holds true for me. When I eat a "healthy, substantial" breakfast...I ALWAYS end of overeating later in the day. I actually feel pretty damn good when I don't eat until noon or later.

Discuss....

That's me too. I am more productive in my morning hours, and can have much bigger meals later.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

Discuss....

That's me too. I am more productive in my morning hours, and can have much bigger meals later.

Welcome back sexy *****!
    BRUCE-LEE-APPROVES-GIF.gif
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I don't think coffee is food so it's not breakfast.
  • mrskatie80
    mrskatie80 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Discuss....

Amen.
    That's all :drinker:
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If I eat after getting up, I feel like puking. I eat when I'm hungry. Time doesn't matter.

That said, I don't think coffee is an adequate meal at any time of the day.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    My first meal of the day is around 2pm. You can call it breakfast if you want. Has zero effect on my "metabolism".
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I don't think coffee is food so it's not breakfast.

Cheapest supplement available!
    Well...unless you go to supplement stores like Starbucks....
    GaryBusey.jpg
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I had to train myself to eat breakfast (I was rarely hungry when I woke up prior to that) and I found that I had so much more energy for the start of my day and at my current job I wake up at 7am and am lucky if I get my lunch break at 3 or 3:30, without breakfast by then I'd be starving and would definitely overeat. Eating breakfast definitely works for me.

I'm not sure how her morning coffee works with her lack of weight loss, like others suggested she might be snacking more than she thinks or eating a lot more at lunch/dinner because she's hungry.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Coffee is breakfast when it's in a protein shake! Well, breakfast for me :)
  • dreamsofescaping
    dreamsofescaping Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am speaking from personal experience. It started in jr. high I stopped eating breakfast and lunch and would only eat supper after high school coffee was my breakfast and lunch for years until very recently when I started on MFP. My pals would tell me eat breakfast and so not alot (I am still working on this) but I would eat something even if it was little then one morning about 3-4 weeks ago I woke up and my first thought was not coffee but "I am hungry!" I couldn't wait to eat breakfast, then the same thing started happening with lunch I was STARVING by the time my break comes around at work. You know what has happened in the last month months I have dropped around 8 pounds I think because now my body is no longer in "starvation mode" it knows I am going to feed it something that is since july 2 and technically it is more because I gained 5 back on my vacation and had to lose what I had already lost. EAT!!! She needs to eat. The bottom line to my success the past few months (24-28 pounds because I wasn't really tracking at first) is 2 simple things diet, and exercise.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I will hardly every have breakfast, never have the time to get it done. Coffee yes, but for me its a green coffee so it's actually good for me.

Coffee is NOT breakfast though
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat breakfast before 10 or 11 and i only eat 2 meals a day. Now that I removed the sugar and grains from my diet Im also never very hungry . The reason all the books and magazines want you to eat constantly is because they are peddling supplements, nutrition bars, and protein drinks.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I got into a rather heated conversation (if you will) with a coworker who continues to complain about not being able to lose weight. I asked her to tell me what she eats during the day and the first thing I noticed was that she didn't eat breakfast. But debated with me about the fact that coffee is a perfectly acceptable breakfast and that would be enough to "jump start" her metabolism.

So, wondering what MFP's thoughts are on breakfast? Yay? Nay?

Meal frequency generally doesn't matter and when you eat even less so.

That metabolism thing you said is a myth.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    If what she's currently doing isn't working for her, she should stop complaining about it and find a solution.

I say YAY breakfast - I know it works for me.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry until about 11am, coffee and heavy cream starts my day.

If I have a latte I count it as a meal.

Fair enough, I don't even log my copious cream, I've just got to the point where I know what works for me.

I don't log alcohol or exercise either, I'm just doing it Zen style ;)

I may as well forget the food logging come to this ... I don't quite trust myself yet though ;)
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

I don't log alcohol or exercise either, I'm just doing it Zen style ;)

I may as well forget the food logging come to this ... I don't quite trust myself yet though ;)

haha, love some zen. I have read several threads and what I am hearing is 'everybody is different' 10th grade I ate a can of (cheap) chicken noodle soup after school and whatever was on the table at dinner. rarely lunch or breakfast. I did just fine. I was in top shape and running several mi. a week plus the 2 mi walk to/from school.

When I was very very underweight, less than 100lbs at 5'8, It didn't matter how much food I ate, I could barely gain a pound. I was eating 3 meals (including breakfast) a dzn donuts and a high protein snack every day. I still don't like donuts too much.

It wasn't until I was eating a mostly healthy diet, (rarely breakfast) and less stress did I gain weight. Didn't notice til 3 days before the wedding when I went to pick up the dress. could barely breath!

Some people perform better on a keto diet (not one I could do!) some people perform with more calories. We're not robots with the same design. I think it's a personal journey you can share with others, but every journey can be vastly different than others.

I was checking out my military friend one sunday who started working out every day for the last six months. (I used to do weight training, so I like to check out how is definition is coming and the evenness of it) And wow, one week I noticed his biceps were noticeably different, bigger, more defined. "Yeah mags, finally figured out if I curl a specific way, my biceps improve better" we're not cookies cutters, inside and out and we can't expect results if we treat ourselves as such. It's so damned funny watching him "show off his guns" hahaha
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    My whole milk lattes count as breakfast