Coffee is not breakfast.

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    haha, don't you just hate it when you start a thread about arguing with a coworker... and YOU are the one who's wrong! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Correct. Total macronutrient consumption is far more important than when it is consumed.
  • Hayley189
    Hayley189 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I guess I never got the big deal with breakfast. I eat it, because I like to, but what does it matter if you don't? You haven't eaten since say 8pm, what's it matter if you don't for a few more hours?

Edited to add: I eat less calories when I eat breakfast later. If I eat it super early, I'm hungry again at 10am and because I'm a huge night snacker, if I eat too many cals early on in the day, I eat way too many overall because I still feel the need to eat later. If I eat it about 10 I can eat my lunch about 1pm and stay on track, I'm rarely hungry earlier than that.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I try to eat breakfast within an hour of waking up but sometimes I don't always do that.

I highly doubt her coffee intake in the morning with no breakfast has anything to do with her not losing weight though.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have excellent results with a caffeinated beverage in the morning followed by a moderate workout before eating any food. I am working with a professional nutritionist who I trust and he has actually suggested this exact routine for me a couple of times a week.

I have heard arguments on each side. Just like every single topic ever discussed on this site.

I personally have had good experience with eating shortly after I wake up.

Whatever floats your boat.

Edit: Oh, and to be a bit more helpful: Your coworker isn't losing weight because she is eating too much. End of story.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Some people simply can't eat in the morning. If my boyfriend eats before noon, he feels sick to his stomach, even if it's just something small (like a granola bar). He usually has coffee with a bit of milk and then eats a nutritious, filling lunch.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry until about 11am, coffee and heavy cream starts my day.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    haha, don't you just hate it when you start a thread about arguing with a coworker... and YOU are the one who's wrong! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Correct. Total macronutrient consumption is far more important than when it is consumed.

That made me LOL too xD
  • cwade1021
    cwade1021 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I always thought breakfast was the most important meal of the day. Maybe I am wrong (it happens, sometimes ;))

I'm trying to convince her to join MFP but she seems reluctant.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry until about 11am, coffee and heavy cream starts my day.

If I have a latte I count it as a meal.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I always thought breakfast was the most important meal of the day. Maybe I am wrong (it happens, sometimes ;))

Is it? Or is that the kind of thing our moms tell us so we eat breakfast before school and they don't feel guilty that we are some how starving to death while they aren't watching us?

<--- Mother who has said such things and also abstained from breakfast.
  • Badmamabear
    Options
    Oh boi, when it comes to my coffee I must have my coffee in the morning :drinker: but as far is it breakfast I would say no. Breakfast is important to start your day off right and coffee alone is not going to cut it. I agree with what you.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Tell her to stop sleeping with her mouth closed. She is not consuming enough spiders during REM sleep, which we all know is required for a healthy metabolism.
  • mrskatie80
    mrskatie80 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Have a read of this one - quite easy to understand....

http://www.thefatlossninja.com/breakfast-skipping-101-how-to-skip-breakfast-to-lose-weight/

Having said that, I like anything that supports my non-breakfast eating habits. Just wish such research and myths had been debunked YEARS ago.......
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

fairly sure this was invented by general mills.
  • cwade1021
    cwade1021 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Have a read of this one - quite easy to understand....

http://www.thefatlossninja.com/breakfast-skipping-101-how-to-skip-breakfast-to-lose-weight/

Having said that, I like anything that supports my non-breakfast eating habits. Just wish such research and myths had been debunked YEARS ago.......
    Awesome, thank you! I'll be sure to read it.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you eat breakfast makes no difference in weight loss. It's a personal preference.

The reason some people find eating breakfast helpful is because it tends to keep you feeling fuller in general all day, so therefore you end up eating less overall. This is why those who don't eat breakfast are often linked with being heavier - it's not a direct result of eating breakfast.

Eating in the morning often makes me feel sick, but I normally try to get something down so I don't feel hungry in the middle of work when I can't eat anything. It does seem to help with my energy levels too. But on days when I don't work I often don't eat breakfast and it hasn't seemed to affect my loss.

Again, it's personal preference.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Us intermittent fasters happen to agree with your co-worker.

However, if shes drinking coffee (a stimulant) with a ton of cream and sugar (carbs and fats) without any form of good protein then shes failing.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

Thank you for taking my post with humour as intended instead of getting all defensive. :drinker: kudos.

As for the whole breakfast thing, it is one of the most popular diet myths, and the only truth behind it is for SOME people having a substantial breakfast will stop them snacking during the morning. If you are tracking your calories you could have your whole daily intake within 4 hours if you want to - and still be just as healthy!

The more time you spend on here the more real knowledge you will pick up and so many of these supposed 'truths' that you will shake your head at.

Now go and apologise to your colleague and buy them a coffee! :laugh:
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Coffee isn't breakfast.

Coffee is awesome breakfast!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Is it? Or is that the kind of thing our moms tell us so we eat breakfast before school and they don't feel guilty that we are some how starving to death while they aren't watching us?

<--- Mother who has said such things and also abstained from breakfast.

Pretty much. Also cereal company slogan. Go figure lol