Coffee is not breakfast.

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    But debated with me about the fact that coffee is a perfectly acceptable breakfast and that would be enough to "jump start" her metabolism.
    You're right about one thing: coffee will not jump start your metabolism. Nothing will. Your metabolism runs all the time as long as you're alive.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    But debated with me about the fact that coffee is a perfectly acceptable breakfast and that would be enough to "jump start" her metabolism.
    You're right about one thing: coffee will not jump start your metabolism. Nothing will. Your metabolism runs all the time as long as you're alive.

Ask any zombie. It's not coffee which keeps them going.

(It's brains.)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

(It's brains.)
    On the other hand, I don't know if zombies have actually tried coffee. It could work!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

(It's brains.)
    On the other hand, I don't know if zombies have actually tried coffee. It could work!

You two may have just saved us from the Zombie Apocolypse!
  • AngryDiet
    Options

(It's brains.)

You two may have just saved us from the Zombie Apocolypse!

It's a nice thought, but nothing will save us from the Zombie Apocalypse.

*sad face*
  • Hayley189
    Hayley189 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So the verdict is, no matter what you eat for breakfast, if you have too many calories later, you won't lose weight.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    There may be *some* truths here and there for *some* of these little optimizations, like eating this or that or when or not when to eat. But my impression is that such *optimizations* might normally amount to *at most* a handful of calories at the end of the day.

It's certainly nothing that most of us would ever need to care about. I can kinda see every little bit helping if you're at 10% body fat and shooting for 8%, or trying to lose the last couple of hard fought pounds, or something of that nature. But otherwise your energy is better placed in watching macros and calorie deficit. And getting to the gym.

All of these supposed solutions don't amount to more than a tiny fraction of what the typical MFP'er needs to be doing daily, and are basically *well overshadowed* by putting that cookie down!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Lots of coffee is the ultimate breakfast.

How many calories do heart palpitations burn?

*Hooks HRM up and downs a quad grande 2pump white mocha no water extra iced american*
    Challengeaccepted.jpg
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Lots of coffee is the ultimate breakfast.

How many calories do heart palpitations burn?

*Hooks HRM up and downs a quad grande 2pump white mocha no water extra iced american*
    Challengeaccepted.jpg

Good man!

Be sure to let us know, if you survive!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat a good breakfast I overeat at dinner and snack afterwards.

Besides, how many studies of school kids do you need to look at it to see that people work better when they eat?
  • nicolio8699
    nicolio8699 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i switched from regular coffee to a latte in the morning bc of the milk---added protein, calories, carbs, etc! and i usually have some fruit as well:) breakfast is not my meal- i am rushed and often not hungry in the am--so this seems to do it for me:) i do eat a relatively early lunch, though:)
  • Brittmy
    Brittmy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    ::sips latte::
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have always been a breakfast eater. I really like McDonald's new blueberry banana nut oatmeal and that has been my breakfast of choice for quite a while now. I just do better with breakfast.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Besides, how many studies of school kids do you need to look at it to see that people work better when they eat?

I'm not a growing child (I'm a grown child!) and so my nutritional requirements are different.

Not to mention, those kids not getting breakfast probably aren't getting enough the rest of the day either. :(
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee WITH my breakfast, but no.....coffee alone is not an acceptable breakfast. IMO
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast and always eat it. However, I do not think it's a must. You can lose weight and be healthy without eating breakfast.
  • verbalriot
    Options
    Coffee is a part of my breakfast but I eat it everyday. It's just something that works for me.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I always try and have a biggish meal for breakfast, so I'm not left hungry during the day...
    Having nothing usually leads to over-eating later in the day, it isn't healthy.
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, coffee is all it takes to fill me up, so I'm not going to MAKE myself eat in addition to that if I'm not hungry. The coffee I make (with yummy creamer) really is all the breakfast I need on some days.
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Tea and a banana, pretty much 80% of the time, works for me.