Grunting at the gym

Options

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. But the one that stands out to me....the guy that COUNTS really loudly! I love it, it really cracks me up. I laugh just thinking about it! He really messes me up on my reps...lol
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    It's a mating call. If he's hot, grunt back and stomp your feet. That way he knows your interested. If he's not hot, laugh at him and hopefully he'll stop. lol
  • cjh03
    cjh03 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There was this one time...at my apt gym...this other guy was making the same exact noises as the OP mentions. It was quite awkward and I couldn't help but laugh. Then he left and my workout got serious again.
  • nickmast78
    Options
    Grunting is essentially the same as Kiai. It's for focusing energy to a specific area of a body to complete a certain task.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiai
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    If you don't grunt while lifting, you're not lifting enough.

If you grunt while lifting, chances are, you aren't holding your air properly, and not lifting enough.

You should be holding your breath when doing the big 3 lifts.
  • semnae
    semnae Posts: 3
    Options
    There are two men who work out together that are the cliched grunty jock weightlifters. To be honest, it gets rather annoying - especially since it's a tiny gym and it's usually is a small group of us trying to do a circuit or aerobics.

One day, I was feeling rather puckish after listing to what sounded like them pooing their pants for 20 minutes and decided to see if grunting actually helped.

It's my recommendation when using an ab roller to go "WHOOOSH!!" as loudly as possible when rolling out. (Bonus is you also wear a cape)

If anything, it'll get you a few minutes reprieve while the Grunters stop and stare at you. Unfortunately, we were all laughing so hard, it was hard to get back into the training routine.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    True story, this morning there was this fairly attractive guy on a machine in front of me who was lifting weights and grunting like an animal. Well more like sex grunts really, I will admit it was kind of hot but awkward. Has anyone else experienced this or do it?

I stood there and watched. Then I took a picture. My eyes got as big as saucers when I saw him putting the weights on the barbell. Then I went home and thought about it some more.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    If you don't grunt while lifting, you're not lifting enough.

If you grunt while lifting, chances are, you aren't holding your air properly, and not lifting enough.

I was gonna post something about how I hold my breath during reps, but then I got to page 2 and found this
  • TheUglyFriend
    Options
    When he grunts just moan back at him all sexy like {-;
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    grunting is good. but no one grunts on the machines. grunt on the big lifts, only on the last set or two, and only a few reps.

then make sure your drop the weight.
  • lewist90
    lewist90 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i dont grunt....................i PUUUUUURRRRRR!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    It's a mating ritual. Grunt back.
    LMAO
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i dont grunt....................i PUUUUUURRRRRR!

hahahahahhahahahaha!!! imagine, going to the gym, and instead of grunting, you meowed or barked or something.
  • Lambeze
    Lambeze Posts: 237
    Options
    I only grunt when I deadlift or squat. Other than that I concentrate on breathing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Grunting is wasting energy you could be putting towards your lift.

Of course some just happen and that is OK.

What?!?!?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    then make sure you drop the weight.

only on purpose though... dont drop it by accident, its briefly terrifying and awkward for too long afterwards.
  • GC_Hutson
    Options
    I grunt as I type.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It's a mating ritual. Grunt back.

:heart:
  • GC_Hutson
    Options
    My grandfather often has a hard time holding in his air. His butt grunts constantly.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Educate yourselves. I personally don't grunt because it looks ridiculous, but it does serve a purpose.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/dec/11/health/he-grunting11