Options
    Grunting while lifting to get a better lift
    is like
    putting flame stickers on your car to make it go faster

TOTALLY NECESSARY AND COOL
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    There's this one guy at my gym who cracks me up. Not only does he grunt and moan while lifting, but to prepare himself, he stands in front of the weight bench/rack (whatever he will be using) for a good 5 minutes, talking out load saying "this beotch is mine", "I'm gonna show this beotch who's in charge" "I got this" while he flexes and makes faces at himself in the mirror. It is sooo hilarious
  • dennie2356
    Options
    I was next to a guy last week that kept FARTING! Rip, rip, rip...did he care? Nope.
  • GC_Hutson
    Options
    Educate yourselves. I personally don't grunt because it looks ridiculous, but it does serve a purpose.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2006/dec/11/health/he-grunting11
    You know what else has a valid medical benefit? Taking a giant dump. I don't do that in the middle of the gym either.
  • GC_Hutson
    Options
    Grunting while lifting to get a better lift
    is like
    putting flame stickers on your car to make it go faster

TOTALLY NECESSARY AND COOL
    Ha. Shakeweight.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Educate yourselves. I personally don't grunt because it looks ridiculous, but it does serve a purpose.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2006/dec/11/health/he-grunting11
    You know what else has a valid medical benefit? Taking a giant dump. I don't do that in the middle of the gym either.

I hope you do on legs day! I don't use the inverted leg press machine at my gym for a reason....
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Excessive grunting is irritating. I can't stand it and it puts me in a bad mood while I'm at the gym.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I grunt and moan when I lift and I make it look damn sexy
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    i may have been known to let a little groan slip out......but then usually blame it on my friend!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There's this one guy at my gym who cracks me up. Not only does he grunt and moan while lifting, but to prepare himself, he stands in front of the weight bench/rack (whatever he will be using) for a good 5 minutes, talking out load saying "this beotch is mine", "I'm gonna show this beotch who's in charge" "I got this" while he flexes and makes faces at himself in the mirror. It is sooo hilarious

I do something like this. I may not be as demonstrative but its definitely noticable. I think once you get closer to your physical limits you'll find that psyching yourself up and a reasonable amount of grunting will come to you naturally.
  • Brooke_26
    Brooke_26 Posts: 204
    Options
    For some reason I like guys who grunt when working out, means their working it hard :wink:
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    Grunting is wasting energy you could be putting towards your lift.

Of course some just happen and that is OK.

Have you ever seen professional weight lifters? They're basically screaming while lifting weights. It's a natural thing to do.

I have watched a lot of youtube videos by top bodybuilding to help learn proper form. These guys are typically NOT grunting.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I usually yawn really big before i do a set of squats or deadlifts.

Much like I did in football, acting like it ain't no thing psyches the weights out...
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options

I do something like this. I may not be as demonstrative but its definitely noticable. I think once you get closer to your physical limits you'll find that psyching yourself up and a reasonable amount of grunting will come to you naturally.

I understand psyching yourself up, but this guy goes to the extreme.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options

WOW, what a douche..
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Regarding breathing while lifting during Squats, Deads, Benching or Military Press.
    Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe, pg. 57-58, Starting Strength

...no one gets under 405 lbs. and squats it without training. The cardiovascular system adapts to resistance training just like all of the other tissues and systems in the body, and this adaptation occurs as strength increases. Anyone who is capable of squatting extremely heavy weights is adapted for it in all the necessary ways. It is far more likely that the advice to 'inhale on the way down and exhale on the way up' will actually cause an orthopedic injury than that it will prevent a cerebrovascular injury.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I try not to grunt. I try to fart instead.
  • GC_Hutson
    Options

WOW, what a douche..
    Don't act like you're not impressed.
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    There is a couple that come into my gym and do that in the back weight room. Sometimes I swear they are having sex back there. She even yells out sometimes. Awkward!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I grunt when I poop sometimes.