Grunting at the gym

Options

Replies

• GC_Hutson
    Options
    I grunt when I poop sometimes.
    Now you're just showing off for the ladies.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If the weight is heavy enough...I will grunt or yell. I threw shot-put for years (high school and college), and always would yell when I threw...proven way to add distance to my throw! Generally inhaling and exhaling is enough noise now.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    There is a couple that come into my gym and do that in the back weight room. Sometimes I swear they are having sex back there. She even yells out sometimes. Awkward!

whoops. busted. :embarassed:
  • GC_Hutson
    Options
    If the weight is heavy enough...I will grunt or yell. I threw shot-put for years (high school and college), and always would yell when I threw...proven way to add distance to my throw! Generally inhaling and exhaling is enough noise now.
    I've found that breathing is very helpful doing my workouts. And life, really.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i dont grunt....................i PUUUUUURRRRRR!

woah - hello tummy
  • roodledoodle
    Options
    There are two men who work out together that are the cliched grunty jock weightlifters. To be honest, it gets rather annoying - especially since it's a tiny gym and it's usually is a small group of us trying to do a circuit or aerobics.

One day, I was feeling rather puckish after listing to what sounded like them pooing their pants for 20 minutes and decided to see if grunting actually helped.

It's my recommendation when using an ab roller to go "WHOOOSH!!" as loudly as possible when rolling out. (Bonus is you also wear a cape)

If anything, it'll get you a few minutes reprieve while the Grunters stop and stare at you. Unfortunately, we were all laughing so hard, it was hard to get back into the training routine.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Too funny!!!!!
  • lewist90
    lewist90 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i dont grunt....................i PUUUUUURRRRRR!

woah - hello tummy

:D well hello messy room :P
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My gym doesn't allow grunting! Seriously, you will be asked to stop or leave. There are also certain lifts.you can't do (idk which ones) my gym used to be known for being the "meathead" gym (sorry, mean word) and they want to change that so people who aren't as fit still feel comfortable coming in.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you don't grunt while lifting, you're not lifting enough.

If you grunt while lifting, chances are, you aren't holding your air properly, and not lifting enough.

You should be holding your breath when doing the big 3 lifts.

Thank you for posting this and beating me to it.

I also find that a sharp exhale on small accessory lifts is helpful but you don't have to add vocalization to it. At that point you're just looking for attention. Or have no courtesy. Or perhaps no shame.
  • GC_Hutson
    Options
    My gym doesn't allow grunting! Seriously, you will be asked to stop or leave. There are also certain lifts.you can't do (idk which ones) my gym used to be known for being the "meathead" gym (sorry, mean word) and they want to change that so people who aren't as fit still feel comfortable coming in.
    Meatheads dig being called meatheads. We are one with our inner gorilla.
  • Moniqua1
    Options
    Meatheads dig being called meatheads. We are one with our inner gorilla.

Lmfao! :D good, cuz I like guys who look like "meatheads", I just don't know what will offend people on here, seems like everything will offend someone!
  • GC_Hutson
    Options
    Lmfao! :D good, cuz I like guys who look like "meatheads", I just don't know what will offend people on here, seems like everything will offend someone!
    I'm offended by that.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    There's a dude that screams like he's being stabbed in the eye while being surrounded by spiders. Cracks me up every time. XD
  • GC_Hutson
    Options
    There's a dude that screams like he's being stabbed in the eye while being surrounded by spiders. Cracks me up every time. XD
    I said I was SORRY. I saw a roach.
  • Moniqua1
    Options
    ^ this guy is hilarious!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Excessive or loud grunting is stupid!

^^^This! You might hear a couple of small grunts from me at the end of a couple of sets, but the whole gym doesn't hear it. Geez, Louise! :huh:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I try not to grunt. I try to fart instead.

That's one way to get the weight room to yourself. LOL
  • doriyoung
    doriyoung Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's my recommendation when using an ab roller to go "WHOOOSH!!" as loudly as possible when rolling out. (Bonus is you also wear a cape)

:laugh:
  • shesapear
    shesapear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I grunt with I am suffering through a run but its not like "hey everybody look at me"
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    attention deficiency syndrome ?

We have a man at the gym we go to, we call him Mr Bagpipes. .. He makes sooo much noise that unless you have headphones on .. it is reeeeally annoying. :grumble: ( :laugh: )

he makes soooo much noise!! ... But what's funny, is when you actually catch of a glimpse of him .. He is waving around 5lbs weights.. (or doing 5mph on the exercise bike) :laugh: :laugh: