Lying on a job application (teenager)

Options
sizzle92
sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
So my step son put me as a reference using my maiden name and listed me as a "friend of the family" on a job application. I told him I won't lie for him. Thoughts? Am I being unreasonable?

Replies

• REALBIGBATBASTARD
    REALBIGBATBASTARD Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i like your tummy
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Don't like for him. Teach him a lesson young about lying on job applications.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    You should encourage him to become a politician
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    If someone finds out he is lying, he will get terminated.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    My dad always refused to lie for me when I tried to talk him in to writing me doctors notes. It's something you kind of expect from parents anyway.
  • stumpycow
    stumpycow Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm wih you on this. We have a strict no-lying policy in my house. Besides, I hate people who lie and would refuse to encourage that behavior. Good for you, Mom. Believe me, I know it's difficult being the stepmother of a teenager :explode:
  • sizzle92
    Options
    i like your tummy

Thank you! That made me giggle :)
  • sizzle92
    Options
    You should encourage him to become a politician

:laugh:
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Yep!! I agree with you. Don't do it.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Is there really that much harm in telling mcdonald's he's a nice kid
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't go and inch out of your way to help your own kid? ****ed up.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Just don't do it, it never ends well.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have used step fathers as references in the past. I would just list his name and occupation and phone #... never had a problem, no one ever asked and I always got hired... so idk, its not really that big of a deal to me.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Reality is that a lot of CVs will have a load of lies in.
    If he got the job and he couldn't do what he says he could, he'd be soon found out.

But still, doesn't mean he shouldn't use his initiative to find someone to lie about him.

I have seen a few cases where people have passed on details of someone obviously not going to give a good reference, but most people will ensure the person listed will be giving a good reference.
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    No, don't encourage lying. That's a terrible way to start employment.

It was my mom who was always the one lying in my family. She would lie all the time to get what she wanted from doctors (mostly) or anyone else she needed services from. I hated it.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    No, don't encourage lying. That's a terrible way to start employment.

It was my mom who was always the one lying in my family. She would lie all the time to get what she wanted from doctors (mostly) or anyone else she needed services from. I hated it.

That's an entirely different situation. Needing someone to use as a reference, which likely won't even be checked for a retail or fast-food job, is not the same as lying to doctors for, I'm assuming, prescriptions.
  • sunnybug90
    Options
    I used to use my cousins as a reference when I was younger to get my first job. I baby sat for them and really I didn't have any job experience before. Usually they never called my references but if someone did call them all they said was I was responsible and a good kid. They did not ask if they where related to me in any way.

I don't see any harm in it. If its going to help get him a job that he can then gain REAL references then I'd do it.

Its not like he's lying about being a drug addict or a serial killer.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I used to use my cousins as a reference when I was younger to get my first job. I baby sat for them and really I didn't have any job experience before. Usually they never called my references but if someone did call them all they said was I was responsible and a good kid. They did not ask if they where related to me in any way.

I don't see any harm in it. If its going to help get him a job that he can then gain REAL references then I'd do it.

Its not like he's lying about being a drug addict or a serial killer.

Exactly. He's trying to be a responsible person. "Teaching" him a lesson about lying really isn't necessary in this situation.
  • sizzle92
    Options
    You wouldn't go and inch out of your way to help your own kid? ****ed up.

Yep that's exactly it. You got me. When did you list your parents as a reference on a job application?

(It's really too bad no woman stepped up for this child to help raise him when his mom developed severe alcoholism and isn't in his life at all.)
  • sizzle92
    Options
    I hate lying. Period. It is unnecessary anyway as he HAS references to use. So why is it a good idea to condone him lying therefore making ME have to lie as well when they call?