Lying on a job application (teenager)

Options

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't go and inch out of your way to help your own kid? ****ed up.

Yep that's exactly it. You got me. When did you list your parents as a reference on a job application?

(It's really too bad no woman stepped up for this child to help raise him when his mom developed severe alcoholism and isn't in his life at all.)

So, who do you think he should be listing as a reference? Did you give him any advice in that respect? Because I know that when I was looking for my first job (at 17), I didn't have any non-family members to list. I used my aunt and my grandma.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    We have always helped him with job hunting/applications. He knows to use the two people he has worked for. He has been mowing our neighbor's lawns and washing their cars for a couple years. He also has MULTIPLE family friends to use (which is what he listed me as). Therefore he doesn't need to list a parent. Parents are not "family friends".
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    We have always helped him with job hunting/aplications. He knows to use the two people he has worked for. He has been mowing our neighbor's lawns and washing their cars for a couple years. He also has MULTIPLE family friends to use (which is what he listed me as). Therefore he doesn't need to list a parent. Parents are not "family friends".

I agree I would be more offended he listed me as a family friend! I would not lie for him.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    just do it, you should be so proud he isn't a deadbeat. just give him a character reference! you can be honest too.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    To those that are saying that kids only have family members as references, that is so not true! There are teachers, counselors, neighbors, family friends, church members etc.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    To those that are saying that kids only have family members as references, that is so not true! There are teachers, counselors, neighbors, family friends, church members etc.

this is very true, but he already listed her....
  • foxyforce
    Options
    If someone finds out he is lying, he will get terminated.

i'm sure it won't be his first and last job! just do it!!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Just don't take the call, and let him know that you won't do it in the future.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    jump off a really high bridge
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Just don't take the call, and let him know that you won't do it in the future.

when you people see a homeless youth on the street, you may think twice about this. at LEAST he is going out, looking for work, and potentially getting a ref. call. just tell him this is the one and only time!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I didn't lie for my step son ever and i don't think he ever asked. I have a 16yo looking for a job now and hell no i wouldn't lie for her either! Stand your ground!
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    well, to be honest you are not a family member .. I mean, yes you are his step-mom, but you two dont share blood, so, literally, I dont think he is ´that´ wrong.
    come on, if he is a good kid, and never gives you problems, you should help him out, its not like he is asking for help after killing somebody or stuff like that, its just to get a job.
  • JDUR19
    JDUR19 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't go and inch out of your way to help your own kid? ****ed up.

Yep that's exactly it. You got me. When did you list your parents as a reference on a job application?

(It's really too bad no woman stepped up for this child to help raise him when his mom developed severe alcoholism and isn't in his life at all.)

Was there a need for that? A bit harsh, don't you think?
  • thatgeekinit
    thatgeekinit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You don't have to lie. Just say you are his stepmother and say he was nervous about not having any references to put down. In the past, kids spent more time with non-family adults but these days they don't except for their teachers so what are they supposed to put on their job apps.

Or better yet, don't reveal anything unless they ask. I probably put my Uncles down as my first references. I don't think it turned me into a criminal.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    IF they call (and thats a big IF for a teenager & a job application) Why not say you are his step mother and since you arent blood family, he thought it would be best and not lie to list you as family?

I mean, that could very well be the truth, unless you know the child to be a lier and troublemaker. If you know the kid to "not follow the rules" then hell no, dont lie. Infact, nark his *kitten* out & teach him a damn lesson that you dont get anywhere by lying.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    So my step son put me as a reference using my maiden name and listed me as a "friend of the family" on a job application. I told him I won't lie for him. Thoughts? Am I being unreasonable?

Is this what your husband/his father calls you?

If not, I would speak to him about it, and allow him to address it with his son.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    omg, you are the mom who was overbearing on your son and said she didn't know what to do because he was doing nothing with his life.... it is all becoming clear now!
  • JDUR19
    JDUR19 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You aren't a family member in the sense that you share a bloodline so there should be really no problem even if they ask, which is unlikely. Give the kid a break, the last thing he needs is for someone close to him to refuse to help him get a job, when the task is already so difficult for young people all through the world.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem with it honestly.
    If he is a teenager, its just a job to bag groceries or make pizzas... nothing too huge. Odds are they will never call you anyway.
    Its not like he is an adult lying on his resume to get hired as CEO.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    It seem that he feels the reference would have less credibility for a family member. Don't do it. It would be setting a bad precedent. He should put down the actual relationship if he wants to use you for a reference.