Divorced Women keeping the "ex" last name

Options

Replies

• SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I was married 20 years ---got married when I was 21 so I have been a Brooks almost as long as a Parkerson...I kept the brooks last name because everything is in that name plus my 2 children have that last name.

NOW if I meet Mr. Wonderful ---and get married then I will take his last name and become Stacy Wonderful:love:
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people do, but I wish my ex didn't have my last name. I don't think she deserves to breath the same oxygen as the rest of us let alone have my last name. But that's my fault for marrying her in the first place.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I went back to my maiden name when I got divorced, even though I do have a child with his last name. Personal choice. And completely worth the "pain in the *kitten*" to me.
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    kept my ex's last name.......that was my last name for 20 years, so I felt it was ok to keep it. No children, so that wasn't a factor....just a pain to change everything back and like I said, that is what I had been known as for over 20 years! I am hoping one day that another man will give me his last name! : )
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I'm never changing my last name. Period.

My boyfriend (or husband, if we were to get married), on the other hand, could give two fvcks what my last name is.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I expect it depends on the laws regarding changing names in the state that you're in. In some places, you legally change your name (which costs money) when you get married, and have to do the same in reverse if you want to change it back after divorce.

In other states, (and in Ontario, where my wife and I were married), you can legally "assume" your partner's name without actually having to pay for anything or change records, and it since you can still use your maiden name legally as well, switching back is as simple as using the other name when you apply to renew your various forms of ID.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I think its fine to keep the last name for as long as you want, as long as your not remarried. now, if a woman marries a different man, then i would think its a little odd, that they want to keep their ex husbands last name still. but if they are just divorced and not remarried or anything, i think the woman can keep the name for as long as she wants. personally if i ever got divorced, i would keep my husbands last name for awhile. and then eventually if i got remarried to a different guy, then i would switch it.

But what if she built a professional career using her ex-husband's last name, which is technically her last name. Why should she have to change it? What's the difference between keeping that and keeping your maiden name?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people do, but I wish my ex didn't have my last name. I don't think she deserves to breath the same oxygen as the rest of us let alone have my last name. But that's my fault for marrying her in the first place.

I really do wish I knew more about this situation, because you have a LOT of hate for that woman *LOL*
  • cestlafete
    cestlafete Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I said this in another thread and I think it bears repeating.

When it comes to keeping the name 'for the children', you have to tread lightly. If they're really young, it might be better to swap names, especially if dad is not in their lives (for whatever reason). In my case, my mother kept my father's name so we would share it, however when she had another kid with someone different, who immediately denied parentage (and was proven to be the father), she did not want to give him a different name than us, especially considering his father's absence. It ended up being quite a point of contention between my father's family and my mother, as they are all very proud of their family lineage, and my brother is unrelated to them. My father in particular was not happy that another child was running around with his name that wasn't his.

My mother and brother both nearly changed their names to my grandfather's name (mom's maiden name), however it was deemed to be too costly for them to go through with it. My brother certainly doesn't mind, but it lead to a lot of awkward moments over the years.
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My boyfriends ex asked him permission bc she said it sounds better than her maiden name.....lol. He said he didnt care. She doesnt deserve the last name though IMO (and I know bc we were friends which is how I met my current bf, long story and no I am not a home wrecker :))
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    When I married I changed my name to his happily. When I divorced I ran to Social Security office as soon as the Judge told me I was free to change it. I didn't want him or his name.
  • MsHolly731
    MsHolly731 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Never married, but I know a few women that kept the last name just because the paperwork on changing it EVERYWHERE is just too much of a hassle.
  • badgranola
    badgranola Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I kept the last name after my divorce (about 7 years ago) because we have a son. If I get remarried, I'll change it then, otherwise I am NOT doing all that paperwork.
  • lilybear84
    Options
    Regardless if you have kids with the ex I would change back to my maiden name..
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I'm never changing my last name. Period. I bet God will really hate me then.

My boyfriend (or husband, if we were to get married), on the other hand, could give two fvcks what my last name is. I bet God hates him, too.

Whoa, how did God get into this?
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If I'd known how much trouble it was to change my name, I never would have taken his in the first place! I'm certainly not going through all that again. Plus, it'll bug him - and if we're divorcing, that would probably count as gravy. LOL
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    It is so much freaking trouble to change your name.

This is why I kept the exs name till I remarried
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Some keep it for personal or professional reasons. Doesn't mean its disrespectful or they aren't over an ex. (P.S.-You can tell by the responses who has never been married/divorced)
  • NicoleElen
    NicoleElen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    First, it is a serious pain in the *kitten* to change your last name. You have no idea how many places you have to contact until you have to do it. When I divorced I kept his last name because it was my son's name. I have since remarried and now have a new last name. I don't think it's disrespectful and it's downright creepy that a woman would keep a name as a sign of some kind of ownership. When I started dating my husband it was never mentioned, he didn't care either way. It's just a name..
  • HeatherNoyes
    HeatherNoyes Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I kept my ex husband's name for 2 reasons. One, because it is the name I have had for 10 years and two it is the same as my children. I am currently with someone and have been for a while and my last name has never been an issue. If someone finds it disrespectful I think it's their problem. When I marry again, I will take his name. I think if you remarry and keep your ex husbands name that is disrespectful.

Either way, do what you want.