What body type do you men prefer?

Options

Replies

• wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    Of course there are other things that come into play - personality, confidence, style, etc.

But, if we are simply looking at BODY TYPE and NOTHING ELSE.
    There has been studies that have taken this on.
    Look up Martin Tovee from Newcastle University.

He has studied female attractiveness and compared many elements that could determine a female's body attractiveness.
    It turns out that BMI is the highest predictor of female attractiveness (more than waist-to-hip ratio).
    Now, unfortunately, what may upset you, is the actual BMI range that is considered attractive to men.
    It has been shown that the most attractive women tend to be between a BMI of 16-20, peaking at around 18-19. Which means women are "borderline underweight" to be considered peaking their physical attractiveness. Sad isn't it? No wonder we're all messed up in the head. What is considered attractive isn't what is healthy.

Now, the ratings of attractiveness are still good between a BMI of 20-24 but drops down significantly afterwards.
    Other studies have also shown this. Most PlayBoy bunny centerfolds have a BMI of under 19, if I remember correctly, it was something like 18.8 or so.

Look it up - Martin Tovee, he has done all sorts of studies on female attractiveness.
    Martin Tovee's study on optimal attractiveness

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673605792576

BMI is such a bad way to measure body composition. It doesnt take into account how much muscle a person has or how lean they are. Peoples figures, frames and bone structure vary so much that this measurement can essentially remain static when comparing two people that look completely different. A better way to measure composition is bodyfat percentage. That being said, I'm happy with anywhere in the green on this scale.

1ylvk7.jpg

Now this is actual body fat percentage. The one on the left would probably come in low on the BMI scale, suggesting she is underweight. But clearly she is in great shape. She's not skin and bones, nice rounded hips and tummy, and nice muscle tone. Not that the others aren't attractive, just trying to show how two measurements differ.

35klahc.jpg

Now if you ask most men which they like best? Most would probably like the one on the left. The point: the higher the ratio of muscle to fat on your frame, the more useless the BMI measurement is. Yet another reason women should be hitting the weights.

If you were to look at further studies on BMI, you would know that the body fat/muscle ratio can only significant differ in HIGHER BMI values. This means that for low BMI (under 19), muscle and body fat percentage doesn't vary by much.

So, this being said, you can't say... well, I'm underweight, its because I don't have any muscle, but otherwise, I'm still healthy.
    It only works the other way around, when overweight according to the BMI chart, it could be because you have lots of muscle as opposed to fat. So, when at a low BMI, most of your weight comes from structure (bone) and what is left, muscle and fat, doesn't make a big enough difference.

That being said, it still means that a low BMI would rule over body fat percentage as a predictor of attractiveness, especially in Martin Tovee's study.

I was only demonstrating how the measurements differ and why it seems that men prefer an unusually low BMI when judged on image alone. Not whether one is superior to the other in a particular study.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Of course there are other things that come into play - personality, confidence, style, etc.

He has studied female attractiveness and compared many elements that could determine a female's body attractiveness.
    It turns out that BMI is the highest predictor of female attractiveness (more than waist-to-hip ratio).
    Now, unfortunately, what may upset you, is the actual BMI range that is considered attractive to men.
    It has been shown that the most attractive women tend to be between a BMI of 16-20, peaking at around 18-19. Which means women are "borderline underweight" to be considered peaking their physical attractiveness. Sad isn't it? No wonder we're all messed up in the head. What is considered attractive isn't what is healthy.

Now, the ratings of attractiveness are still good between a BMI of 20-24 but drops down significantly afterwards.
    Other studies have also shown this. Most PlayBoy bunny centerfolds have a BMI of under 19, if I remember correctly, it was something like 18.8 or so.

Look it up - Martin Tovee, he has done all sorts of studies on female attractiveness.

BMI is such a bad way to measure body composition. It doesnt take into account how much muscle a person has or how lean they are. Peoples figures, frames and bone structure vary so much that this measurement can essentially remain static when comparing two people that look completely different. A better way to measure composition is bodyfat percentage. That being said, I'm happy with anywhere in the green on this scale.

1ylvk7.jpg

Now this is actual body fat percentage. The one on the left would probably come in low on the BMI scale, suggesting she is underweight. But clearly she is in great shape. She's not skin and bones, nice rounded hips and tummy, and nice muscle tone. Not that the others aren't attractive, just trying to show how two measurements differ.

35klahc.jpg

Now if you ask most men which they like best? Most would probably like the one on the left. The point: the higher the ratio of muscle to fat on your frame, the more useless the BMI measurement is. Yet another reason women should be hitting the weights.

If you were to look at further studies on BMI, you would know that the body fat/muscle ratio can only significant differ in HIGHER BMI values. This means that for low BMI (under 19), muscle and body fat percentage doesn't vary by much.

So, this being said, you can't say... well, I'm underweight, its because I don't have any muscle, but otherwise, I'm still healthy.
    It only works the other way around, when overweight according to the BMI chart, it could be because you have lots of muscle as opposed to fat. So, when at a low BMI, most of your weight comes from structure (bone) and what is left, muscle and fat, doesn't make a big enough difference.

That being said, it still means that a low BMI would rule over body fat percentage as a predictor of attractiveness, especially in Martin Tovee's study.

I was only demonstrating how the measurements differ and why it seems that men prefer an unusually low BMI when judged on image alone. Not whether one is superior to the other in a particular study.

Maybe this will come across the wrong way, but women look entirely different clothed. In clothes the two on the right look best. BY FAR. in a bather suit the two on the left.
    Naked, they all even out. Bikini's just squeeze things and make a woman look heavier than if she were wearing nothing at all.

FWIW though the woman on the left is to thin for my taste. Hopefully I don't offend anyone here, but she really doesn't look fit. Just skinny. Big difference IMO.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

1ylvk7.jpg

35klahc.jpg

Personally - I would certainly agree that if you tend to be at a heavier BMI that lifting weights and therefore having a higher muscle mass and lower body fat percentage would make you a much more attractive than less muscle more body fat %. :)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    McKaylaDeadHorse.jpg?t=1344611831
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The better shape I get in the more I'm attracted to the workout queens in the gym. They come for a purpose and they get after it. I guess I appreciate them more now but I also like Christine Hendricks so I guess its all how the package is.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    McKaylaDeadHorse.jpg?t=1344611831

:laugh: :laugh:
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    A new study suggests that stressed men like heavier woman. Here's a link to ABC's story about this:

bcnews.go.com/Health/stressed-men-prefer-heavier-women-study/story?id=16950542#.UCUmjTGe7II
  • Southernsass6885
    Southernsass6885 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure we can safely say that straight men like...

women.
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    Studies are bologna in my world. HEE HEE What is it with these things? :huh:

Oh how they (whoever they are) all want to prove something not possible and say they are right in these “studies” but facts are there is no 100% fact to any of them based on the common knowledge that everyone is different. :tongue:
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Why is it that anytime someone posts "hey guys <insert question here>", the first (or nearly the first) answer is always another lady....and of those....why is that 90% of those say "well....not a guy....but.....<insert lame comment here>"....ever notice that guys don't do that? sure, we will eventually jump in at some point.......but is it just in your nature to have to make a guy question about YOU anyways? \m/

Because the rest of us women find these questions demeaning.

And men don't have periods or give birth, so they can't comment on what that actually feels like, whereas women do have experience regarding what and how many men are attracted to them at various stages of life, size, etc.

I certainly wouldn't comment on a thread asking about how to handle getting an erection every time you see a picture of Tina Turner or whatever.

Ok so by your logic it's ok for you to tell other women what men want....though you're not a man....because you experience attraction.....so then you automatically know everything there is to know about the subject?

I'm surprised you don't comment about erections....surely other things get erect on you when stimulated that should vicariously make you an expert on that too \m/
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I prefer blue eyes, shaved head, and tattoos tastefully done in an area that he can easily cover up if neccessary. I prefer my man with a little meat on his bones cause I am 6'1 and I don't want to feel bigger than him. My husband is everything I want, but he is really stubborn about getting tattoos. I love them and think they are hot, but he won't get one. Do I ask too much??? I know it's his body, but I'm a selfish creature.
  • lauraashley614
    Options
    Breathing...

Still warm...

hahah even better
  • Cassie8877
    Cassie8877 Posts: 177
    Options
    I think the reason question would
    Be what do you like best about you.. Who cares what the men want in body types. As long as your happy and healthy in your own body that will show. And that inner peace with how you feel about yourself will shine and men will find that attractive.. Truly if you see a nice well built man who has a pour attitude you won't think he is sexy. Even if that's what you may like.
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    curvy

What kinda curvy?:wink:
  • cmod57
    cmod57 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like women enough said! :bigsmile: :wink:
  • AlotOfSweatAndPain
    AlotOfSweatAndPain Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    curvy

What kinda curvy?:wink:

Yours
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    YEAH TOAST!!!

ahhahahahah I LOVE that song!

Yes! Thank god someone knew it! :laugh:
  • tcbutler
    tcbutler Posts: 146
    Options
    I like some curves
  • obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    Options
    If you are seeking validation for the majority of men liking your particular body type, that is all fine and good, but at the end of the day it's about what YOU prefer for yourself.

Some of us women like all types of men too. I have dated men of every body type. Every. The common thread has always been a mutual attraction factor. I would never limit myself to one particular body type.