Replies

• FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Too much of everything. D:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    No single food made me fat. No single food made anyone fat. No category of foods made me fat. No category of foods made anyone fat (minus medical conditions). Carbs did not make me fat. Fat did not make me fat. Junk food did not make me fat by just being junk food.

What made me fat was how MUCH food I was eating. Going to McDonald's in upon itself did not make me fat. Going 5 times a week and ordering a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, a Cheeseburger, a Medium Fry, an Apple Pie, and a Sweet Tea is what made me fat. The 1750 calories that I ate in ONE meal is what made me fat when added into the calories of the rest of my day. It wasn't the fact that it was McDonald's that did me in... it was the damn calories!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as bad food, just people who eat badly!!

So what would happen if I had whole milk with trix/cocoa pebbles for breakfast,

Ramen for lunch

donut or two for snack with a latte

75/25 beef with hamburger helper and a beer for dinner. All proper servings, of course.

I may not be fat, but I sure as hell wouldn't be healthy.

For me, it wasn't so much food as it was 3 picky eaters (1, he won't eat a veggie that isn't a potato, corn cobb or romaine lettuce)
    and lack of exercise. Now that 3 of these are older, it's easier for me to throw in a healthier meal for myself.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    All the foods over my maintenance I think :(
  • kascha21
    Options
    The food that I have been exposed to the most by being with friends and family includes ice cream, cookies, cake, etc... I am not much of a chip person, but I will admit, if I eat one, I will eat the whole bag. That is exactly why I don't buy them. I don't buy junk food at all actually, so that is why when there are family functions, I tend to indulge and eat anything and everything. With so many holidays and birthdays, there are so many temptations for me. Also, all of the people who I surround myself with happen to like either cookies, ice cream, or mac n' cheese. They are always trying to drag me into eating sweets with them. My mom is a big ice cream person, so when we hang out, she'll make suggestions that we go out for dessert. I know when to say "no" however, so I try to redirect us to a healthier option. It also doesn't help that I am a night eater. I will just plant myself on the couch and binge all night if alone or bored.
  • ShaneWinston58
    Options
    Mine was not the food that I ate. It was from a lack of exercise. :sad: As soon as I resigned from my position as an Educator, I started gaining wait. As a teacher, I was constantly running around, lifting things, and working 12 hour days! When I do exercise, I loose weight.
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    Greek food.
    Every night for about 6 months (while working at a greek restaurant--> free food). Despite working out daily and eating clean&healthy the rest of the day.

What a surprise....
  • XaviAvant
    XaviAvant Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Takeaway food in general, but especially indian takeaway curries, with huge naan breads, chips, chinese curries, pizza...anything takeaway! I still indulge occasionally but nowhere near as much as I used to! I also find after a takeaway now I get a food hangover, I never used to notice this as I was eating them so often, but man I feel sick after it!

Fast food is another huge guilt food of mine. In the past few months I can't even remember the last time I went to a McDonald's and ordered a box of chicken nuggets, and I don't think I ever will again (my adult mind has yet to grasp exactly what part of the chicken the "nugget" comes from). Chinese food was also another HUGE thing for me. I weaned myself off of it once I got a job and could afford my own food.

But see, growing up poor means fast food took up a lot of my family's daily diet, and seeing as how said diet is what got me where I am today, makes me think that ALL fast food is bad.
  • violetta88
    violetta88 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Things I ate during my uni years, including but not limited to:

- Coke (at least once a day)
    - Take out pizza and KFC (only when I couldn't be bothered to cook - aka all the time)
    - M&Ms (could get through a family pack in one study session)
    - Cookies (my housemate worked at a bakery and always got to bring home big bags of leftovers at the end of the day. I blame her for at least 5lbs of my uni weight gain!)
    - Doughnuts (Krispy Kreme would also bring their leftovers into my workplace at the end of the day - I really made the wrong friends!)
    - Starbucks (three a day on a bad day)

Oh, and wine. Can't forget the wine :drinker:
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as bad food, just people who eat badly!!

You clearly have not heard of deep fried butter. A whole stick of it.

As a kid I was over weight, I was allowed everything and anything I wanted by my grandparents. But I was very active, running around on their 10acre property. As I got older I was less active and wasn't there but I then had money. I would buy digornos and eat the whole thing, ice cream and eat many servings at once. I would have been fine if I would eat reasonably.

And no I have never eaten deep fried butter but I know that its availible at fairs.
  • RancidPolecat2
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said there are no bad foods, though I have eaten more than my fair share of cheetos in the past. Pretty much anything crunchy, salty, and umami-licious had my name on it. I could kill a large bag of doritos or a few pieces of fried chicken in a single day. Never really admitted this to myself before...

edit: forgot a word

That's not true. Potato chips and stuff like that can't be considered bad foods because a single serving of them won't ruin your entire day. I'm talking about foods that have like 90% of your DV of fat of 160%(?) or your DV of cholesterol in a single serving. There's no way that you can eat these kinds of foods, even in moderation, and still have a balanced diet.

You have to consider the chasm between what "they" call a serving and what you consider a serving.

I used to have a few slices of bread with peanut butter as a snack. Four slices of bread plus 1/2 cup of peanut butter works out to 1000 calories give or take. That was a snack. Between meals. And back then it never would have occurred to me that it was part of the problem.

These days, instead of limiting myself to single tablespoon doses of peanut butter like some kind of masochist, I've written off the food completely.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I went to a dietician several years ago. I kept a food diary for 1 month (before discovering MFP). I logged everything in and asked her what I was doing wrong. I was overeating my portions. The food I was eating was healthy, but I was eating too much of it. I love pasta. I still eat pasta, but only occasionally.

This dietician knew me because we're from the same small town and went to school together. She told me I was always an over-eater. I wish she had told me that back in 1st grade.

And I wasn't exercising enough to drop the extra calories from the over eating.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Mine was typical junk foods and snacks..but most of all Hershys chocolate. I have saved some money as I have to buy it in from the States as I live in the UK :laugh:

Ew, now I wonder what horrible, cancer causing, lethal chemical is in it that makes it so you guys can't buy it in the UK. Do tell!

We have our own chocolate brands here...but I had an American dad and lived on the base so was bought up on Hershey's :laugh:

Ah, okay, you scared me for a minute. I know some things sold here aren't sold in Canada or the UK because of the chemicals floating around in them.

SORRY guys asda sell it over here(uk)! just brought in a whole new range of u.s stuff like tootsie rolls ect!
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    Lot's of candy I could eat these things till they made me feel sick, And pastries are my weakness who doesn't love a big fat cinnamon roll or donuts .......oh and to big of portions of everything!!!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Fast food, definitely. And sweets. Cookies are still a trigger food for me.
  • DaFrogRibbit
    DaFrogRibbit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This list could go on and on. Chocolate would be my top pick. One is not enough and well before you know it half the bag is gone.
    I do tend to eat my emotions quite a bit so I would say that portion control has made me FAT.
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I took this question to mean, what foods did I eat in excess that made me fat.? Fast food, fast food, fast food. I now cringe any time we travel and stop at one of these places. It doesn't even sound good anymore. :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Over the years, I only gained a pound a year until we got chickens last year. To use up all the eggs, I made a huge pound cake every week, plus things like rice pudding.

When I started logging, I realized every slice of pound cake was probably 300 calories! I had it for breakfast with my eggs and coffee every morning with rice pudding for dessert. Yep - 10 pounds right there.
  • emmaonamission
    Options
    Dominos pizza and their chocolate lava cakes and gooey chocolate chip cookies...mmm. I used to just order Dominos instead of making food all the time and put on so much weight. And spent SO much money. Makes me shudder to think about now.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Going to the chippy (french fries as you guys call them).
    I'd get a portion, or occasionally large, smothered in mayo or curry sauce 2-3 times a week. That's around 1000 calories once you include the mayo or curry sauce I think.

I haven't bought in 'bad' foods for a long time now as I have a tendancy to binge, but it's what I would eat when I was outside of my house. I wouldn't plan, and so I'd get really hungry and just eat any old thing.