Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America?

Options

Replies

• PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    This entire topic is ludicrous. It's like the women's movement never happened.

*headdesk*

Someone call me when this website moves out of the 1950's.
  • gracefulotus
    Options
    Honestly: Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America? Are more men allowing women to dominate relationships?

THAT'S how you measure masculinity???? Whether a man 'dominates' a woman????

How about you measure masculinity by courage, respect, ambition, responsibility, character and THEN ask the question.

but yeah.... I suspect you be trollin'... good luck :drinker:

ATTA BOY!!! there are a few real men on here! :):) good for you!

Fanned!
  • MIchelleH2027
    MIchelleH2027 Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    After reading a guys post from yesterday "needing advice not related to fitness" I I would say yes. This was a 30 yr old man asking for advice on how to get himself to love again and how he doesn't know if he'll ever find it again.

I wanted to pull his man card............yes there is a masculinity crisis! Grow a pair and start acting like men again. Sweep a woman off her feet...........treat her like a queen............and reap the rewards!!! There's a few details to work in the middle too but c'mon guy's!!!!

AMEN!!!! ^^^this this this^^^
  • ubuntufav
    Options
    [/quote]
    It doesn't mean you aren't evolved, I suppose. You don't have to do any of those things to be "evolved". Being evolved has a lot more to do with attitude. And to sit and question the masculinity of the things you mentioned above.. well who are you to really say.
    Clearly there are a lot of women on here who like your thinking. And there are just as many who don't. And that's all fine and dandy.
    In this day and age being evolved has a lot more to do with live and let live.
    [/quote]

I guess ive seen too much and have gotten into fights with too many hipsters I guess. Im not a fan of them, it offends people when I say I dont but I dont like people in my face telling me what I should eat, drink, wear, and that I need to join a cause. I had to leave Austin or go to jail for kicking someone *kitten*.

Those hipsters talk crap about people all the time, the difference is they dont do it to their faces. When im in a bar, let me drink my beer and eat hot wings in peace. Why go to bars to read a book and drink water and try to tell others to not drink beers that are not local or gluten free? People think im a jerk, you to Austin and be different and see how that goes.

They lack manners, rude, and def no southern hospitality. I saw this alot there, a elderly woman would come in a place and no one would offer her a seat. People are so quick to defend them but what good do they really do? If I could find a nice one and accepting of who I am, I would be friends with him or her. I do say that I am sorry, im not very sensitive nor PC, I tend to speak my mind and that offends people I guess but guess what, I am not going to change.

As for my friends, they need to get some balls and stop putting up with that crap. Man or woman, no one needs crap.
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Honestly: Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America? Are more men allowing women to dominate relationships?

Does a woman dominating a relationship really mean that the man is any less masculine? Hardly. Maybe your definition of masculinity differs from mine, which is okay, but in my opinion, relationships should be 50/50. I do think the traits associated with being a gentleman are lacking though.
  • cblevitron
    cblevitron Posts: 243
    Options

*headdesk*

:flowerforyou:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    After reading a guys post from yesterday "needing advice not related to fitness" I I would say yes. This was a 30 yr old man asking for advice on how to get himself to love again and how he doesn't know if he'll ever find it again.

I wanted to pull his man card............yes there is a masculinity crisis! Grow a pair and start acting like men again. Sweep a woman off her feet...........treat her like a queen............and reap the rewards!!! There's a few details to work in the middle too but c'mon guy's!!!!

Didn't read the whole thread, but yeah, I like being swept off my feet! I can take care of myself quite well, doesn't mean I always want to. I prefer men to be men.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options

Does a woman dominating a relationship really mean that the man is any less masculine? Hardly. Maybe your definition of masculinity differs from mine, which is okay, but in my opinion, relationships should be 50/50. I do think the traits associated with being a gentleman are lacking though.

ya it really does. Allowing yourself to be dominated at all is not masculine.
    Why is it considered 50/50 if the woman is dominating the relationship. That's not 50/50
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

No. I think women have worn the pants in the past, people just weren't so open about it.

love it. i agree! :) hehe.

No in all seriousness I think that it's just not as rare to see a woman dominating the relationship.

Ideally NEITHER party would dominate and there would be an equality and mutuality in all relationships where both parties are invested and have an equal say in how things are handled in the relationship--i think that's what we are lacking!
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

Why is it considered 50/50 if the woman is dominating the relationship. That's not 50/50

I don't think that anyone should dominate over someone else... I said in my opinion, they should be 50/50, not that women should dominate...
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I guess ive seen too much and have gotten into fights with too many hipsters I guess. Im not a fan of them, it offends people when I say I dont but I dont like people in my face telling me what I should eat, drink, wear, and that I need to join a cause. I had to leave Austin or go to jail for kicking someone *kitten*.

Those hipsters talk crap about people all the time, the difference is they dont do it to their faces. When im in a bar, let me drink my beer and eat hot wings in peace. Why go to bars to read a book and drink water and try to tell others to not drink beers that are not local or gluten free? People think im a jerk, you to Austin and be different and see how that goes.

They lack manners, rude, and def no southern hospitality. I saw this alot there, a elderly woman would come in a place and no one would offer her a seat. People are so quick to defend them but what good do they really do? If I could find a nice one and accepting of who I am, I would be friends with him or her. I do say that I am sorry, im not very sensitive nor PC, I tend to speak my mind and that offends people I guess but guess what, I am not going to change.
    It's not that you're not being PC that's the problem. The problem is that you're making sweeping generalizations about a group of people based on what they look like. That's not cool. Jerks come in all shapes and sizes; they're everywhere, all over the planet. You shouldn't judge and hate people you don't know just because they look or act differently than you do.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I always quite liked Austin. I imagine you'll calm down when you get a little older.
  • tiffygrl12
    Options

*headdesk*

Lol :drinker: sometimes I think the 50's were more progressive.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options

I don't think that anyone should dominate over someone else... I said in my opinion, they should be 50/50, not that women should dominate...
    Agreed, which is why a woman dominating the relationship is not right just as much as a man domintating it isn't right.

And you are right about the gentlemen thing. I can't believe how so many women I dated looked at me in disbelief when I opened a car door for them.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Im not sure if I could even touch this but what the heck. I think equality has been an issue since the beginning of mankind. We as males feel dominant and feel like we are in control of everything in our world. Women may see this early on and refuse to accept this type of thinking so that is why you see control conflicts in relationship. She tells me not to do this but he tells her not to wear this. He wants this in the house, and she doesn't want it and it becomes more of a hostile battle in between both sexes. Women have been subjected to be nothing more than baby making machines for so long but times have changed. Is not a crisis at all but something that was bound to happen.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I don't think its so much that men are allowing women to dominate them, its more a situation where men are putting themselves in a position that requires a women to dominate. Someone has to take charge of things at times and if a man can't do it then what choice would a women have?
  • ubuntufav
    Options

It's not that you're not being PC that's the problem. The problem is that you're making sweeping generalizations about a group of people based on what they look like. That's not cool. Jerks come in all shapes and sizes; they're everywhere, all over the planet. You shouldn't judge and hate people you don't know just because they look or act differently than you do.

They do it too. I dont base it just how they look, im base it on how they act and what they say. I dont care personally how someone dresses but I do care is they are a D bag and say rude crap to me and my friends. Ill tell you something, im very open to others, I have all kinds of friends but not hipsters, I tried to make friends with them when I was in Austin but they are just rude and think they are better than everyone so yeah, I dont like them.

I have chubby friends and dont get me started how hipsters treated them. Its ok to be different but dont think for a minute that you are better than others because you are different. If I want to take my food home in plastic or a paper bag, its my business and right. If I want to shop at walmart, I have that right. If I dont want to just go to a great place to hike and just read a book, i have the right to actually hike. I never quested them or attacked them until they attacked me. I hate rude people and not once did I meet a nice hipster so Im sorry I dont like them.

Guess what? Most people dont like them either, ask the country and Hispanic community in Austin, they got pushed out of the city because of these jerks. They cause more segregation with their ideology and pushing their beliefs on others. I actually agree with alot of what they think, its their attitudes that ruin it. They are not as holy as you think they are.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Did get a chance to read the whole thing but I'll admit I'm not a fan of the stereotypical hipster type. There are tons of them in nyc and every single hipster that I have rented to has always given me a hard time. I could be biased though.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    Equality between men and women is often perceived by people as being balanced in the woman's favour. Often what men see as equal is not really for women. I guess it is a patriarchy/sexism thing. I am a man and I still see that.
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Wow.... I'm not sure what sort of 'hipsters' you have in the USA but here in Australia hipsters are just kids who have a certain hair cut and listen to certain types of music

You make 'em sound like gansters or cultists 'forcing their beliefs on people' and forcing peopleout of neighbourhoods. Are you sure you're not taking their skinny jeans a bit too seriously?