Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America?

Options

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    There are only two situations when I find a take charge, 'manly' attitude appropriate. In the bedroom, and in any situation involving math (because I'm hopeless at it without a calculator handy).

Oh wait, three. Sometimes I really can't get that damn jar of minced garlic open.

Any other time a man gets assertive with me, there's likely to be more trouble than he wants.

I guess that makes me a manly women since I'm an engineer :laugh:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Umm, does he have an Uncle or relative raised the same that is my age and single??:laugh: You are one, blessed lady!!:flowerforyou:
    Yes, and what a sad thing that is for America... Home of the Brave???

I'm married to a manly man... what a blessing! He provides for me, protects me, and treats me like a lady. Wouldn't have it any other way! That's how I know he loves me.

Raising our son to be like his daddy, too! God bless the good 'ole boys!
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thread #5,103 on MFP to turn me off of marriage.

Some of you are stuck in the 1950's. Being "old-fashioned" shouldn't mean that you're a little woman waiting for the big man to make decisions. Neither partner should be a doormat.

:grumble:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    There are only two situations when I find a take charge, 'manly' attitude appropriate. In the bedroom, and in any situation involving math (because I'm hopeless at it without a calculator handy).

Oh wait, three. Sometimes I really can't get that damn jar of minced garlic open.

Any other time a man gets assertive with me, there's likely to be more trouble than he wants.

Yeah, it hurts that I'm so awful at math, but I long ago had to accept it.
  • victoria4321
    Options

Yeah, it hurts that I'm so awful at math, but I long ago had to accept it.

Don't feel so bad, its not really a women thing. I used to teach math and its pretty equal between boys and girls when its comes to math. Some are good at it and some aren't.
  • ubuntufav
    Options
    Wow.... I'm not sure what sort of 'hipsters' you have in the USA but here in Australia hipsters are just kids who have a certain hair cut and listen to certain types of music

You make 'em sound like gansters or cultists 'forcing their beliefs on people' and forcing peopleout of neighbourhoods. Are you sure you're not taking their skinny jeans a bit too seriously?

The hipsters in nyc are often the people claiming to be free spirited and independent but the majority of them live off their parents. They like to pretend to be broke so they never wash their clothes (saves water too). Also whenever I rent to a hipster it starts with two roommates then suddenly 5 people are living in the apt. My places are in the luxury rental market in too so the last thing I enjoy dealing with is when someone suddenly is late on their rent because roommate #4 is out somewhere planting trees for the environment or spending the week at the 99% rally. And forget even trying to evict a hipster. It takes a good 6 months and you lose tons of money in legal fees. Then they say you're taking advantage of the little guys by expecting them to pay what they owe. :huh:

It’s funny how hipsters preaches tolerance and anti-bullying and 1st amendment rights, as long as you agree with them. As soon as a dissenting voice speaks up, its nothing but intolerance and bullying and repression of the 1st amendment. Im so glad to be out of Austin. Now I can eat all the gluten non organic crap I want while drinking my Pepsi in peace. I need to make a shirt that say weird Austin can kiss my butt. Also they are so uptight about maintaining their image that they are difficult and not fun to be around.

I dont get their beliefs either, I wont ever put meat in my body because of the hormones but hey ill do lsd. I dont believe in corporations, child workers, or overseas labor but hey, ill buy everything Apple. Hey, I dont believe in corp restaurant chains but hey ill start my own chain and go corp. Hey I fight to preserve nature, but never go out to enjoy it. Sorry going to a hiking trail or lake just to read a book on your iPad is not really enjoying nature. They preach and preach but most of its BS. Independent thinking is not doing what everyone else is doing and what is trendy. Try this, listen to Sigur Ros instead of Katy Perry. Dont look down on others for no caring about the earth when you litter and dont even recycle yourself. Start a real movement instead of following everyone else. Make your own clothes or buy from local shops instead of buying 300 dollar jeans that look like they are made from a local place. DOnt preach what you do not do.

Ill tell you something else, hipsters, those companies you complain about and try to boycott them, provides jobs so people can feed their families. Create your own companies and leave others alone.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Wow.... I'm not sure what sort of 'hipsters' you have in the USA but here in Australia hipsters are just kids who have a certain hair cut and listen to certain types of music

You make 'em sound like gansters or cultists 'forcing their beliefs on people' and forcing peopleout of neighbourhoods. Are you sure you're not taking their skinny jeans a bit too seriously?

The hipsters in nyc are often the people claiming to be free spirited and independent but the majority of them live off their parents. They like to pretend to be broke so they never wash their clothes (saves water too). Also whenever I rent to a hipster it starts with two roommates then suddenly 5 people are living in the apt. My places are in the luxury rental market in too so the last thing I enjoy dealing with is when someone suddenly is late on their rent because roommate #4 is out somewhere planting trees for the environment or spending the week at the 99% rally. And forget even trying to evict a hipster. It takes a good 6 months and you lose tons of money in legal fees. Then they say you're taking advantage of the little guys by expecting them to pay what they owe. :huh:

It’s funny how hipsters preaches tolerance and anti-bullying and 1st amendment rights, as long as you agree with them. As soon as a dissenting voice speaks up, its nothing but intolerance and bullying and repression of the 1st amendment. Im so glad to be out of Austin. Now I can eat all the gluten non organic crap I want while drinking my Pepsi in peace. I need to make a shirt that say weird Austin can kiss my *kitten*. Also they are so uptight about maintaining their image that they are difficult and not fun to be around.

I dont get their beliefs either, I wont ever put meat in my body because of the hormones but hey ill do lsd. I dont believe in corporations, child workers, or overseas labor but hey, ill buy everything Apple. Hey, I dont believe in corp restaurant chains but hey ill start my own chain and go corp. Hey I fight to preserve nature, but never go out to enjoy it. Sorry going to a hiking trail or lake just to read a book on your iPad is not really enjoying nature. They preach and preach but most of its BS. Independent thinking is not doing what everyone else is doing and what is trendy. Try this, listen to Sigur Ros instead of Katy Perry. Dont look down on others for no caring about the earth when you litter and dont even recycle yourself. Start a real movement instead of following everyone else. Make your own clothes or buy from local shops instead of buying 300 dollar jeans that look like they are made from a local place. DOnt preach what you do not do.

Definitely true. For quite some time I really thought the whole hipster thing was a nyc movement. I didn't realize they get on peoples nerves all over the world :laugh:
  • ubuntufav
    Options

It’s funny how hipsters preaches tolerance and anti-bullying and 1st amendment rights, as long as you agree with them. As soon as a dissenting voice speaks up, its nothing but intolerance and bullying and repression of the 1st amendment. Im so glad to be out of Austin. Now I can eat all the gluten non organic crap I want while drinking my Pepsi in peace. I need to make a shirt that say weird Austin can kiss my *kitten*. Also they are so uptight about maintaining their image that they are difficult and not fun to be around.

Definitely true. For quite some time I really thought the whole hipster thing was a nyc movement. I didn't realize they get on peoples nerves all over the world :laugh:

Its not the world, its the trendy areas like Portland, Austin, NYC, and San Fran. Its almost like High School again with the clicks. I was in the popular crowd and now its like the revenge of the nerds or something.
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This entire topic is ludicrous. It's like the women's movement never happened.

*headdesk*

Someone call me when this website moves out of the 1950's.

:flowerforyou:
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • skinnybefore
    Options
    Umm, does he have an Uncle or relative raised the same that is my age and single??:laugh: You are one, blessed lady!!:flowerforyou:
    Yes, and what a sad thing that is for America... Home of the Brave???

I'm married to a manly man... what a blessing! He provides for me, protects me, and treats me like a lady. Wouldn't have it any other way! That's how I know he loves me.

Raising our son to be like his daddy, too! God bless the good 'ole boys!

Not too many more like him out there, I'm afraid. Sometimes all it takes is for a lady to act like a lady, and the man will step up. Doesn't happen over night for either of us, though! Patience & kindness goes a long way!
  • Rayand22
    Rayand22 Posts: 18
    Options
    Plain and simple, controlling people and hipster suck. I dont like being around either. Controlling people, your time will come and you will die alone. Hipsters, we get it already, you want us to know how cool you are now. Guess what? You really are not that cool, you are a Douchester. I see how they treat others. The only difference now is that real men can not lock you in a locker or give you wedgies because of the laws.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple, controlling people and hipster suck. I dont like being around either. Controlling people, your time will come and you will die alone. Hipsters, we get it already, you want us to know how cool you are now. Guess what? You really are not that cool, you are a Douchester. I see how they treat others. The only difference now is that real men can not lock you in a locker or give you wedgies because of the laws.

...are you for real?:huh:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

...are you for real?:huh:
    I keep hoping not.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    OMFG (and I have never before used that acronym in my life) - I think I have lost brainpower reading this thread. Apparently the OP has created his own definition of "HIPSTER" and this WHOLE THREAD WAS REALLY CREATED FOR THE OP TO EXPRESS HIS HATRED OF "HIPSTERS, " whatever the heck that even means anymore.

According to the OP anyone who talks about recycling, organic food, "flowers" (what does that even mean?), reads, drinks water, talks about buying local, is against using hormones in food animals and is against child labor is a "hipster." And according to his friend, whose various posts express a viewpoint that makes me wonder if suffragettes and other women who fought for equal rights are rolling in their graves, "hipsters" are men who have long beards and go barefoot and wear rumpled clothing - and these things somehow are "girly."

Oh - forgot to add that anyone who is against multinational corporations is also a "hipster."
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

I guess controlling people don't like it when they can no longer shove people into lockers without consequences.
  • Brakalack
    Brakalack Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Don't you have some woman to make a sandwich for?

know your place!

hahaha
  • Cristofori44
    Options
    Reinforces my point about some women wanting an image of some quality rather than the actual man:

q54SnCqpdE6N7-9uy8TXcQ2.jpg

In the above example, the girl in question probably wants intelligence and maybe a guy who has a white-collar tech job, so trendy eyeglasses become a symbol of that.

But the same could be said of the cowboy image. You want a strong, independent guy but don't neccessarily want some dude that smells like horse manure and squanders money on poker and *kitten*.

When you learn that black-rimmed glasses aren't intelligence and stubble isn't strength, maybe some of you will find a real guy. Until then, good luck navigating the opposite extremes of hipsterdom and machismo.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yes

My ex was very submissive. I blame his overbearing mother. I couldn't respect him as a man. I tried to step back and let him make some decision for himself and our family and he couldn't.
  • ubuntufav
    Options
    Reinforces my point about some women wanting an image of some quality rather than the actual man:

q54SnCqpdE6N7-9uy8TXcQ2.jpg

In the above example, the girl in question probably wants intelligence and maybe a guy who has a white-collar tech job, so trendy eyeglasses become a symbol of that.

But the same could be said of the cowboy image. You want a strong, independent guy but don't neccessarily want some dude that smells like horse manure and squanders money on poker and *kitten*.

When you learn that black-rimmed glasses aren't intelligence and stubble isn't strength, maybe some of you will find a real guy. Until then, good luck navigating the opposite extremes of hipsterdom and machismo.

Amen brother.
  • tywayne7513
    Options
    yep...tv has changed society...but not me!