Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America?

Options

Replies

• dbarchus
    dbarchus Posts: 42
    Options
    Depending on the age group, yes.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    These are the guys that young girls think are hot these days...

One-Direction5.jpg

sparkling_edward.JPG

selena_gomez_justin_bieber_dress_a_p.jpg

lol does that answer your question?

How are they any different from New Kids on the Block or even the Beetles with their long hair and fancy suits or even Elvis?? Every generation has their teen idols. This is such a dumb thread and I should have never entered this black hole, but I got sucked in. I have a lot more to say, but I am not gonna waste anymore time on idiotic banter.
    Bingo. You've got it right. No need to continue. Everyone always thinks that things have changed so much when in reality they haven't.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    YES! I can only hope and teach my son to not be a sissy b itch.
  • dbarchus
    dbarchus Posts: 42
    Options

One-Direction5.jpg

sparkling_edward.JPG

Those aren't guys, they are boys.

For real! You can say it for every generation, especially celebrities. They are supposed to be feminine so teens aren't intimidated. That is the point.

Yeah...cause these guys are sooooooo masculine:

new-kids-on-the-block-09.jpg

...and your grandparents generation:

frankie-valli-jane-scott.jpg
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Honestly: Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America? Are more men allowing women to dominate relationships?

Yes, it is all the soy that is in the packaged foods. Real Talk. It causes estrogen dominance in men and lowers testosterone.

I am glad I have a manly man that likes to eat meat, eggs, vegetables and fruit. And NO packaged foods, so NO SOY
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I am a strong believer that the man leads the household but is not the tyrant of the household. A smart man involves is woman in each discision while making the final choice. A smart man honors his woman as part of him. Just my idea. Before my wife passed we were very happy, very in love and this is how our house worked. We had ups and downs but it worked well for us. I was president of the house and she was vicepresident. Now as for the rest. Cant stand this metrosexual crap. Men should be men.

See, I can't stand men who think that the ownership of a penis gives them the right to tell me what to do.

Nor can I. IMO that's a bigger sign of not being a man than anything.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a masculinity problem in America. I think there is an maturity problem.

There really is a huge maturity problem, especially in the current teenage generation. I seriously hope I die before I'm forced to retire because these kids won't be able to take care of jack **** when it comes their time and lord knows with this economy I'll never be able to stock away enough cash to not worry about it.

Although I think there is a slight masculinity problem nowadays. I've never heard of boys in school sharing each other's jeans and shoes. There are kids that have more shoes than my ex-wife, that's crazy. When I was a teenager I had my school dress shoes and a pair of tennis shoes, two pair that's it.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Honestly: Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America? Are more men allowing women to dominate relationships?

First of all LOL

Second of all- if there's a male crisis I wouldn't think it's who "dominates" the relationship, it would be lack of role models leading to more and more dead beat dads, abuse, lack of responsibility etc

Personally my man is super sexy and masculine, but he doesn't dominate our relationship(and good luck w/ that) We are partners, there are roles that we both fill and power is shared, not 100% balanced, but there is give and take.
  • Rayand22
    Rayand22 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am a strong believer that the man leads the household but is not the tyrant of the household. A smart man involves is woman in each discision while making the final choice. A smart man honors his woman as part of him. Just my idea. Before my wife passed we were very happy, very in love and this is how our house worked. We had ups and downs but it worked well for us. I was president of the house and she was vicepresident. Now as for the rest. Cant stand this metrosexual crap. Men should be men.

This is what the OP is saying and I so agree with. I think the thing is that when people say they don't like the girly guys, people get mad. Many women on here say they don't like the manly man. We all are allowed to like whoever we want, choose who we want to be friends with, and all have free speech even if we all don't agree. I got mad because some insecure unhappy women started attacking the OP, me, and some other nice people for their unattacking comments and preferences. Women post how they hate short guys or fat guys and no one seems to care but when someone says anything about hipsters everyone goes crazy. I will tell you something about hipsters, they hate everything and are always upset or wanting to boycott corporations alot so they have no right to say anything and also, how is it disrespectful for saying they are like women? They know they are and I have hear some say they dont believe in male or female so they already know this. I dont like them and no one is going to force me to. I am free and will like whoever I want so whoever has a problem with it can bite me.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

One-Direction5.jpg

sparkling_edward.JPG

Uh...... I like NKOTB, which is the equivalent, at age 10. So no, that answers nothing.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    No, there is no such thing as a "masculinity crisis."
  • Chipmaniac
    Options

First of all LOL

Second of all- if there's a male crisis I wouldn't think it's who "dominates" the relationship, it would be lack of role models leading to more and more dead beat dads, abuse, lack of responsibility etc

Personally my man is super sexy and masculine, but he doesn't dominate our relationship(and good luck w/ that) We are partners, there are roles that we both fill and power is shared, not 100% balanced, but there is give and take.
    Exactly. 50/50 doesn't mean there is a lack of masculinity any more than a lack of femininity on the female's part. Neither should dominate as domination does not a healthy relationship make.
  • larosita57
    larosita57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

See, I can't stand men who think that the ownership of a penis gives them the right to tell me what to do.

Amen, sister. If my partner of 10 yrs started trying to tell me what to do - based solely on the fact that he is "the man" - this relationship would be over. He would HATE it if I felt controlled or inferior to him.

This isn't 1955, for god sakes.Women have fought long and hard for equality...there is NO reason men should dominate women. Sadly, in 2012, for many people, the "masculine" ideal is some sort of muscular he-man, who "rules the roost." Can we get in the 21st century, already? A "real" man is a guy who respects women and sees them as his equal, in my book.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options

One-Direction5.jpg

sparkling_edward.JPG

Uh...... I like NKOTB, which is the equivalent, at age 10. So no, that answers nothing.
    Edit: Disregard....misread the post. I agree.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The issue is related to eye brow and chest waxing.
    manscaping.

I'll never understand it. I mean I get it when you're really hairy. But those Jersey Shore eyebrows? EWWWW
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Someone From Every Generation, Ever, said:
    ..there really is a huge <blank> problem, especially in the current teenage generation.

Always.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    The issue is related to eye brow and chest waxing.
    manscaping.

I'll never understand it. I mean I get it when you're really hairy. But those Jersey Shore eyebrows? EWWWW

I'm not against a little trimming here and there.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    not quoting the boy group conversation because it's too long but.

I can't help but notice you listed Katy Perry as a boy group.
    Men love Katy Perry for two reason, and it aint her music. I don't even know what the hell she sings.
    But it's the same reason we love Beyonce, and the others like her. All the music is crap. But the google image search is nice.
  • dreamsofescaping
    dreamsofescaping Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Why does anyone have to dominate anyone? Why can't it be equal in a relationship? Your post is kind of scary sounds like you might have a controlling type of nature and I hope your not treating your gf or wife bad! I'm sorry if I am wrong with my conclusion but its the way you worded it.... "Allowing women" as though us women should ALLOW a man to hold the reins in the relationship. I'm sorry but the females of the past made it so I was "ALLOWED" to vote, wear clothes that no longer cover my ankles and so I don't have to be beat by a man and deal with it. They made it so I am "ALLOWED" to have my own say in a relationship and can choose whether or not I can work anywhere else but the kitchen making him meals.... I am SO grateful that those women who went through so much to "ALLOW" me these rights and options. In the end they did not control my future but they gave me choices! I could choose to let a man "ALLOW" me to let him have the reigns or I can choose equality! I choose equality. I don't need a man telling me what to do in the relationship and I don't need a man to provide for me.
    This is the very first post I have ever read that truly ticked me off.
  • aubreykkkk
    aubreykkkk Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm a girl obviously but I still think the men should be the head of the household. I mean girl power is great and everything but guys are dominant in a relationship, sorry!