where are my nerds?!?!?

Options

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I have a software engineering degree, I used to have a Red Dwarf "Smoke Me A Kipper" t-shirt, I can quote vast tracts of The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy and I know this much pi off by heart ... 3.14159265358979323846.

And I thought The Big Bang Theory was a reality show ;)

AND THE WINNER IS....

But you should see my friends in the UK ... I just couldn't get into the whole Dungeons And Dragons thing, now these guys live nerd, I just hover around the nerdy edges, relatively ;)

I think nerd fringe is where it is at :)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Only thing that I haven't gotten into was Dr. Who which my nerd card has been threatened multiple times for not viewing.

Yep...nerd card revoked! I have been watching since I was a kid and was so happy when the show came back. I am a Whovian and proud. I am hopefully going to D*Con as the 4th Doctor and my daughter is going as a weeping angel. You have got to start watching the series.
  • gillz89
    gillz89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As much as I usually try to deny the fact, I am a nerd. I'm a computer scientist who can write iOS apps, Android apps, web pages, and much more. I know quite a few languages (C, C#, C++, Java, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, PHP, SQL, Assembly, Shell Script, whatever the one for the Arduino is called, probably a few I forgot). Also have a TI robot, Arduino, Netduino, built a quadricoptor, etc. Oh, and built my computer which is quite a beast and water cooled. Unitl I get a new car last year, my computer was worth more than my car was :ohwell: Also love Harry Potter and LOTR. Oh, and I play a lot of games: Skyrim and Borderlands are my two top runners (well minus COD and Battlefield). I also used to play WoW, SWTOR, and Rift.

Yep, pretty sure I can no longer deny being a nerd. Should of known that would happen when I went into computer science. :frown:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I like nerdy/geeky things but don't really consider myself a nerd or a geek.
  • interceptor077
    Options
    count me in. LOL
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I'm studying Japanese so I can move to Japan: Land of the Otaku. I started playing video games on the Atari and have had pretty much every console and handheld system. Aside from learning Japanese, my free time is spent playing video games, watching the summer lineup of anime and reading manga. My two favorite movies of all-time are Spaceballs and Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail.
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    This is a reprint... but my original pamphlets came in a wooden box.

[img]http://www.waynesbooks.net/files/OCE white box 05 cont med.jpg[/img]

My computer is still worth more than my truck and was used by WETA DIGITAL to design the special effects for LOTR.
    220px-Gollum.PNG

I just finished setting up another Virtual LAMP stack WebDev Server for testing purposes.

In Elementary School I designed and bread boarded a circuit to count up from zero in Binary and display the numeric sequence in binary, hex and decimal with individual LED's.
    Solarbotics-redLED.gif

Misplaced my pocket protector and slide rule in 1978. Built my first computer from a bag of components (ie. soldered resistors, & transistors to the motherboard. Yup, I might be a Geek!
    scrolling_led_buckle_2nded.jpg
  • logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Well, Im off home now, to isoflex a bunch of larp weapons and make a robe and gambeson for under my husbands plate armour :-)

Oh the busy life of a she-nerd!
  • tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nerd, I'm no way near good enough at maths or science for that.

I AM, however, a geek. A massive one.

^^^THIS^^^ Sorry to tell you guys but geeks are so much cooler than nerds. Peculiar idiosyncratic behavior without all the social awkwardness. Love you guys though because without there would never been Atari, LOTR, Star Trek (Trekkie here) or Star Wars, and a bunch of cool mathematical equations (someone just drooled I'm sure), Facebook, and smart phones. You guys make the world turn...not literally of course...RIGHT?:indifferent:
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    This pertains to some of you. And don't act like you don't know who you are.....

Ted.jpg
  • Tammi623
    Tammi623 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Nerd... According to Wikipedia...
    "Nerd is a derogatory stereotype of a person typically described as socially-impaired, obsessive, or overly intellectual. They may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or highly technical pursuits, or those relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.[1][2][3] Other nerdy qualities include physical awkwardness, introversion, quirkiness, and unattractiveness.[4] Thus, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and is a social outsider. In the stereotypical high-school situation, they may be either considered loners by others, or associate with a small group of like-minded people. As with other pejoratives, nerd has been reappropriated by some as a term of pride

*** I used to be a nerd. Now I'm more of a geek ***

According to Wikipedia...
    "The word geek is a slang term for odd or non-mainstream people, with different connotations ranging from "a computer expert or enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a hobby", with a general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp[ecially] one who is perceived to be overly intellectual".[1]

HI!! ^_^

nerd/geek here. Bring on the anime (first love), science fiction, old super hero shows, classic cartoons, music, books, and history (research, articles, books, documentaries). I am not a super nerd but most of my friends are. I LOVE nerds, they make life happy.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    YUP nerd right here.

fantasy adventure writer. cant un-nerd that one.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Love Star Wars, Marvel Comics, D&D, Magic the Gathering, DBZ and console/PC gaming.

I've been told I'm losing my nerdiness/geekiness as I spend more time in the gym playing sport though >.<

I started feeling this way too. I restored it by wearing a Flash shirt while running. No word of a lie, more people stared than usual :tongue:
    Like no one's ever met a sports nerd?!
    Latest lycra stuff, latest water bottle............

How about cardio dressed as Aragorn and waving a sword about to dramatic music?

OO, I've gone quite flushed for a moment- I think I'll have to go and have a lie down! Or as Jane from Firefly would say 'I'll be in my bunk'!

lol!
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm more of a geek than a nerd, I <3 zombies, video games, sci-fi, techy gadget stuff and of course my super mario shoes:

14576491_3771.jpg
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I primarily identity as "geek-adjacent," because while I know a lot about typical fandoms and often engage in quote wars, I'm not terribly committed to many of them. I'm not into gaming, I'm not particularly into Star Wars or Tolkein, and coding makes me want to commit seppaku.

On the other hand... I know that coding makes me want to commit seppaku, and I've used game memes in conversation ("I used to be a [whatever] like you..." and "the cake is a lie" are high on my list of regularly said Things).
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have a software engineering degree, I used to have a Red Dwarf "Smoke Me A Kipper" t-shirt, I can quote vast tracts of The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy and I know this much pi off by heart ... 3.14159265358979323846.

And I thought The Big Bang Theory was a reality show ;)

22/7's is more elegant and easier to use when crochetting hats, did I mention you can crochet a hyperbolic equation and make a coral. Nerd with hook who got very excited that I could download Darwin for free on my kindle. Oh and Holly has to be a boy

I was actually going to crochet that pattern using the hyperbolic equation for a fellow nerd (he'd probably be a geek) friend of mine, only I don't know that is has any real good physical purpose. Loved the idea though.
  • DaSavedSinner
    DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I would say hi but I am playing Guild Wars....
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Going to bed in a Katniss braid, and waking up looking like Hermione. (nerd girl problems)
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Here I am ^.^
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm more of a geek than a nerd, I <3 zombies, video games, sci-fi, techy gadget stuff and of course my super mario shoes:

14576491_3771.jpg

Where in the world did you find those?!?