Here!
  • tmj2191
    tmj2191 Posts: 76
    <<<Nerd :-)
    Neal Degrass Tyson is my hero.
    Star Wars rules! Eat it, Trekkies!
    Web comics define my life.
    I'd rather read than watch tv.
    If there is a book, I'll read it. If it was good, I'll refuse to see the movie.

Yes with you on the Neil deGrasse Tyson! What inspires me to keep pursuing a CS degree.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    I'm a closet nerd, too. I'm not a sci fi fanatic but I do enjoy it. Who doesn't love Star Wars or Harry Potter? I also enjoy Stargate and Star Trek though I'm not a trekkie by far. LOL I am a Chemistry major :wink: focusing on nutrition so that's pretty darn nerdy and I spent most of my childhood on the computer or playing magic cards. I don't know how I ever had a tan in the summer but I did. LOL I denied my nerdiness for many years but I'm pretty damn proud of it now. Vice-president of my college's honor society too! woop!

ETA: Oh yeah I'd totally rather read than watch TV. My husband's a movie buff but the TV's only on when he's home... unless I'm working out. lol
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    deff. a nerd here:)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Really?! No other Larping nerds around today? Is that too far over the nerd line?

I have been to Mutant Chronicles and Fallout Larps if that makes it any cooler ;-) lol

There are a ton of LARP clubs in our area and my husband WON'T join with me! They are pretty low key (it seems) and it just sounds really fun! A lot of the people I do ballroom dancing with do it and I want to at least try it.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    nerds.jpg

Total nerd, married to a nerd, raising mini-nerds - lone nerd in a family of the most non-nerdy people ever. :)
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    I never got into star wars or novels that involved wands or secret passages to fantasy lands, however I'm a computer nerd. I wanted to call my son Linux that has to account for something lol

Try Linus. ;)

Linus as in what? Apollo's son?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    I never got into star wars or novels that involved wands or secret passages to fantasy lands, however I'm a computer nerd. I wanted to call my son Linux that has to account for something lol

Try Linus. ;)

I thought you'd know this already, since you want to call your son Linux:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds

RED ALERT! WE'VE FOUND A SPY IMPERSONATING A NERD HERE!
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member

Try Linus. ;)

Ha ha I think Apollo's son would be older than the creator of free software. And of course I knew that! what? you expected me to cover all the possible options.
    You're such a nerd! making obscure references to things only you think should be obvious to others. I give you 1000 nerd points for that! :)
    Did you by any change snort while typing your response? lol
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Well my husband is at work right now so there's one of your nerds.. lol. I'm not into any of that but he's into ALL of it!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member

Try Linus. ;)

Ha ha I think Apollo's son would be older than the creator of free software. And of course I knew that! what? you expected me to cover all the possible options.
    You're such a nerd! making obscure references to things only you think should be obvious to others. I give you 1000 nerd points for that! :)
    Did you by any change snort while typing your response? lol

I'd have thought someone who is into Linux would know the inventor's name, that's all. I haven't gone near Linux or Unix in years and I knew his name.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Nerd... According to Wikipedia...
    "Nerd is a derogatory stereotype of a person typically described as socially-impaired, obsessive, or overly intellectual. They may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or highly technical pursuits, or those relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.[1][2][3] Other nerdy qualities include physical awkwardness, introversion, quirkiness, and unattractiveness.[4] Thus, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and is a social outsider. In the stereotypical high-school situation, they may be either considered loners by others, or associate with a small group of like-minded people. As with other pejoratives, nerd has been reappropriated by some as a term of pride

*** I used to be a nerd. Now I'm more of a geek ***

According to Wikipedia...
    "The word geek is a slang term for odd or non-mainstream people, with different connotations ranging from "a computer expert or enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a hobby", with a general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp[ecially] one who is perceived to be overly intellectual".[1]

I love star trek, LOTR, the hobbit, jeopardy, big bang theory.
    I test software for a living. I get excited about Excel spreadsheets. My idea of an awesome conference was a software development one I went to in Vegas. Did the whole dual honors diploma with math and ad art. Took advanced calc in university, along with computer programming... I google everything, and Wikipedia is a very close friend.

:-D
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    I hate it when people call themselves nerd because they enjoy pop culture.

I know, right? You are not a nerd just because you enjoy some of the most popular movie and book franchises ever. There is nothing "nerdy" about Star Wars, Disney, LoTR, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games etc. These things are massively popular. Even my mom has read the Hunger Games. Harry Potter has his own theme park down in Florida. Right next to the Disney one that has the Star Wars ride in it. If something is popular enough to warrant a theme park, it's not nerdy.

There's nothing wrong with liking these things if you do. Just don't think that liking them makes you unusual or nerdy.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Love Star Wars, Marvel Comics, D&D, Magic the Gathering, DBZ and console/PC gaming.

I've been told I'm losing my nerdiness/geekiness as I spend more time in the gym playing sport though >.<

I started feeling this way too. I restored it by wearing a Flash shirt while running. No word of a lie, more people stared than usual :tongue:
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Love Star Wars, Marvel Comics, D&D, Magic the Gathering, DBZ and console/PC gaming.

I've been told I'm losing my nerdiness/geekiness as I spend more time in the gym playing sport though >.<

I started feeling this way too. I restored it by wearing a Flash shirt while running. No word of a lie, more people stared than usual :tongue:
    Like no one's ever met a sports nerd?!
    Latest lycra stuff, latest water bottle............
  • Well... my avatar was gaming related for a while, I have a pic of me doing Cosplay and I'm about ready to go to my monthly D&D session. Does that make me a nerd? :D
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Yep. Right here...more geek than nerd. Bonus points if you can identify where my UN originates from.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Band geek, manga reader, anime watcher, and I'm taking an emotional break from the Song of Ice and Fire series since GRRM is giving me a complex. When you dream about Tyrion riding on the back of Acnologia (dragon in Fairy Tail) chasing you around Westeros, it's time for a break.
  • Marvel comics, Lord of the Rings, Disney, games consoles, Spiderman as well general Sci-Fi and Fantasy are my faves, and I liked math class and science always intrigued me. I used to do my homework for fun sometimes... If they even classify as nerdy. I think people are too quick to stereotype. I just like what I like. :glasses:

Edit: The last Harry Potter film came out on my 18th birthday and I got so excited that I actually forgot. And I cried as soon as the logo came on screen... So that might be a little "nerdy" or at least an over-dramatic fangirl. :blushing: