Food rules for your kids?

Options
CJisinShape
CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
This morning my 3yr old tried to take the peanut butter in her room. She likes to eat pb out of the jar but she isn't allowed. Today, I told her why:

"You have to watch what you do - if you eat pb out the jar 2 times, you might do it 3 times and if you do it enough, it will become a habit, where you do it without thinking. If you eat pb out the jar by habit you'll get fat, and you don't want to get fat - you want to be strong and healthy, right?"

Only one of three likes fruit and vegetables, but they are all a normal weight even though I'm fat. They drink milk, tea, water. If we have juice or soda, we only keep enough to last for one serving then its back to milk. My son had issues with hyperactivity, and after cutting juice from his diet, I noticed a big change in attention span. I'm not strict - I know some parents are strict about gluten, meat, sugar, and basically don't want their kids to enjoy eating anything. What about you? Do you have limits for your children? What are they and why?

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You told your child she'll get fat and she doesn't want to be fat?...

Yikes.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    in b4 mommywars.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Oh this might get good.

Teach your kids boundaries, limits and to have a HEALTHY relationship with food. That's all I'm sayin. For now anyways.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Wow. You pretty much guaranteed right in that moment the you will have a child with serious food issues.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You may not want to use the word "fat". My daughter has used the word and we have had to have long discussions about it, and the fact it's not a word we use in our household.

As juliecat said, make it about boundaries and having a healthy relationship with food.
    Ugh. using the word fat. Just disturbing. Don't do it again.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Oh this might get good.

Teach your kids boundaries, limits and to have a HEALTHY relationship with food. That's all I'm sayin. For now anyways.

I agree with this. We aren't overly restrictive with our kids (3 boys). We let them have junk food but they also have to eat the healthier options too. I think if you're too restrictive, it will blow up in your face and you'll have a kid with a very unhealthy relationship with food.

And I think you're going about it all wrong. She's 3... lighten up. All kids love peanut butter.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    wow. Well....anyhow

The only rules I make are no treats until you've had dinner (or breakfast, lunch, whatever). 'Sometimes' same applies for drinks (real sugary drinks/sodas) until he has a glass of water first.
  • chiquitatwist
    chiquitatwist Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I limit my step son to one cup of tea a day because he puts so much sugar in it. He must have a vegetable with his lunch and dinner, but they are the only things on his plate that he MUST finish. Milk or water with dinner. He is a little overweight, but I would never tell him that. I emphasize that when we take walks it's because we need to keep our bodies healthy and never tell him it's to lose weight. His confidence in his body amazes me and makes me proud that I am raising a child who understands the importance of being healthy but doesn't let his weight motivate the way he feels about himself.
  • CJisinShape
    Options

Yikes.

I was a thin child, a fat kid, a thin teenager, and a fat adult. From personal experience, I am telling her that habits matter. There are too many kids with obesity related illnesses in the US right now. My sister has diabetes, after years of eating peanut butter from the jar. We tell our kids they can't have unlimited candy because it rots teeth - if I said, you can't have anymore candy because you don't want to have an ugly smile - you want to have a healthy mouth, right? No one would be saying yikes about that. I am supposed to train my child in the way that they should go. Allowing her to go through a jar of peanut. Utter in one fell swoop with my genetic history would be ignoring my duty to her as her mother.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I never mention being overweight or fat around my kids. However, our family does a lot of activity with them and they eat 3 healthy meals and if they want to eat outside of the prepared meals, I don't let them have junk and they have to choose either a fruit or veggie. We always keep a wide array of fruits and veggies they can quickly eat. The biggest advice I can give to any parent is to just lead by example when it comes to food. Also, I don't make food conversation a common topic.
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    You may not want to use the word "fat". My daughter has used the word and we have had to have long discussions about it, and the fact it's not a word we use in our household.

As juliecat said, make it about boundaries and having a healthy relationship with food.

You want me to say obese?
  • oregonzoo
    Options

Yikes.

I was a thin child, a fat kid, a thin teenager, and a fat adult. From personal experience, I am telling her that habits matter. There are too many kids with obesity related illnesses in the US right now. My sister has diabetes, after years of eating peanut butter from the jar. We tell our kids they can't have unlimited candy because it rots teeth - if I said, you can't have anymore candy because you don't want to have an ugly smile - you want to have a healthy mouth, right? No one would be saying yikes about that. I am supposed to train my child in the way that they should go. Allowing her to go through a jar of peanut. Utter in one fell swoop with my genetic history would be ignoring my duty to her as her mother.
    Well you really would be best to make it about being strong and healthy. Not using the word "fat". That's going to give her issues. It's really not an appropriate way to talk to a young child.
  • oregonzoo
    Options

You want me to say obese?
    You give them the correct amount, tell them that is how much they get. When they question why, you say "don't you want to be big and strong and healthy, a proper diet is how to do this" it's not that hard.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Yikes.

Well, since you chose to single out my response which was one of the shorter, vague responses, I'll respond to you.

The stigma on being FAT in this society is damaging to a child. They know, because they learn at school, that being fat means being different. She needs to be taught in a subtle, kid friendly approach that eating healthy is the way to go. Exercise is fun. Not "You don't want to overeat the PB because you don't want to be fat. You don't want to be fat, do you?" I have a 10 year old sister who is, by all accounts, fat. Her mother TORTURED her as a small child. "Don't eat that! You'll get fat! You don't want to me fat like your older sister(me), do you??" Now, I HIGHLY doubt that you're commenting on her eating to that extent, so don't get your panties in a twist. But telling her that eating certain foods will make her fat, shame.

She needs to be taught moderation. Not that foods are off limits.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    "You have to watch what you do - if you eat pb out the jar 2 times, you might do it 3 times and if you do it enough, it will become a habit, where you do it without thinking. If you eat pb out the jar by habit you'll get fat, and you don't want to get fat - you want to be strong and healthy, right?"

I may not have used the word 'fat' personally... being only 3... she may think that 'fat' people are bad, make fun of them etc, and not fully understand about healthy vs fat, etc... But for everyone who is bashing her for it... I think she did the right thing as a parent... You learn your eating habits from a very young age... I wish my mom would have lovingly set stronger limits with me... if she had, perhaps I wouldn't have 120lbs to lose now...
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My oldest used to hoard food..(issues from foster care)....so we had some food talks. ..but now..6 years in...conversations differ. is more teaching her about healthy eating..

For instance..she wants her body to look like this or that..i say stop eating junk food and work out..she says..."ya no"..i say then don't complain.

I do think the discussions depend on the age of the child... the older they are..the more in depth you can go. But I do agree the word "fat" can have negative affects..but then being in the moment..and then reflecting afterwards..always happens.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You couldn't have said, "unlimited peanut butter is not good for you"?
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options

Yikes.

No one is suggesting you say nothing and let her eat the whole jar of PB. She's 3! You serve her the correct serving size and serve it along side nutritionally balanced foods. That's what she gets to eat. She shouldn't have the option of getting the PB jar out of the fridge and taking a spoon to it at 3 years old.
    As far as things like rotting teeth out or getting fat... I chose to not use those types of "threats" with my kids. Instead I encourage them to eat balanced so they have happy and healthy bodies.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    So, at three years of age, your daughter is already being fed that fat people are "bad" and thin people are "good".

Wow....someone's going to have some serious self love issues.
  • CJisinShape
    Options

Yikes.

Well, since you chose to single out my response which was one of the shorter, vague responses, I'll respond to you.

The stigma on being FAT in this society is damaging to a child. They know, because they learn at school, that being fat means being different. She needs to be taught in a subtle, kid friendly approach that eating healthy is the way to go. Exercise is fun. Not "You don't want to overeat the PB because you don't want to be fat. You don't want to be fat, do you?" I have a 10 year old sister who is, by all accounts, fat. Her mother TORTURED her as a small child. "Don't eat that! You'll get fat! You don't want to me fat like your older sister(me), do you??" Now, I HIGHLY doubt that you're commenting on her eating to that extent, so don't get your panties in a twist. But telling her that eating certain foods will make her fat, shame.

She needs to be taught moderation. Not that foods are off limits.

Please note I am teaching moderation. Pb sandwich, ok. Entire jar of pb, not ok. As for the use of the word fat - it is what it is. My children are highly prized by me as gifts from God. Sometimes it's not what you say, but how you say it. It's called telling the truth, in love. Unconditional love does more for a child's self esteem than semantics.