OMG CARBS ARE INDEED THE DEVIL HIMSLEF DISGUISED AS FOOD.

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    I watch my carbs pretty closely due to insulin resistance. Before I did that I had a very, very difficult time losing bodyfat.

Check your premises before making a boneheaded argument. And realize that gross generalizations are just that; gross and general.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Why do you care what diets people do. The only trick to dieting is finding one you like and can make it fit your lifestyle.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Low Carb zealots would *kitten* themselves if they saw how many carbs I had on a frequent basis. lol

Actually we probably wouldn't even care, cuz it's you and your choice.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    I ate an 8", white flour tortilla while reading this.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Why would depriving your body of ANY crucial nutrient would be good, especially carbohydrates, which are the building blocks of energy?
    Well, if you're diabetic you probably want to control your carb intake.

Yup
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    If you'd like me to cite multiple sources, I can when I get back to my apartment. I've got books on this.

hitler wrote a book too.
  • raystark
    Low Carb zealots would *kitten* themselves if they saw how many carbs I had on a frequent basis. lol

Why would they do that?
  • raystark

That why Gatorade is primarily sugar water.

Complex carbohydrates are a totally different story.

Gatorade doesn't have that much sugar in it... just saying...

Really? It seems to get all of it's calories from sugar.

Gatorade - Thirst Quencher - Orange Flavor
    Servings:
    Calories 50 Sodium 110 mg
    Total Fat 0 g Potassium 30 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 14 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 14 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 0
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Why would they care?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I ate an 8", white flour tortilla while reading this.
    great. What's your point?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    This thread baffles me. Why do people care how others approach health?? Why do they insist they are right? And feel the need to be snarky about it? Why insist there's ONE right way. And that you know it.
    Particularly first time dieters and yoyo dieters. I'm seeing a lot of replies from folks who may not truly KNOW how to keep the weight off throughout their lives. But MAN are they quick to mock others.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    I think that low carb works to lose weight...however, for me it made me feel very "down" and blah. I had no energy, mental, emotional or physical. I also have PCOS and I'm sure the low carb would help me...

to each his own! If you are losing weight and getting the nutrients your body needs: :flowerforyou:
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    This thread baffles me. Why do people care how others approach health?? Why do they insist they are right? And feel the need to be snarky about it? Why insist there's ONE right way. And that you know it.
    Particularly first time dieters and yoyo dieters. I'm seeing a lot of replies from folks who may not truly KNOW how to keep the weight off throughout their lives. But MAN are they quick to mock others.

it also baffles me as to what the OP expects from positng topics like this: feeling it's her duty to criticize a particular way of eating. does she expect us to read it and be like:

oh okay. you're right. :love:
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 399 Member
    Why am I not surprised by yet another low-carb bashing thread? It's pretty clear that the OP doesn't have a clue about hormonal imbalance caused by this awesome macro conveniently dubbed as "carb" and is just frustrated with fad diets in general. I would be the happiest person in the world if I could continue eating whole grain pasta or breads, but I can't because of how it affects my insulin levels.

I digress... before you choose to bash on how someone else decides to nourish themselves, try understanding why they might be doing what they're doing. I would really love to go just one day without someone telling me my diet (aka- FOOD INTAKE) is "this" or "that".
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    On this site, I actually see more bashing of higher carb diets.

I think there is something that we can all agree with and that is that there is something wrong with the Standard American Diet/Western diet.

There are many countries in the world that thrive on high carbs with low levels of diabetes, cancer, heart disease, osteoporosis, etc. There are also a few cultures that thrive on very high fat/low carb diets with similar results. The human body is very adaptable though and macronutrients can vary greatly without ill effects. I'm more inclined to believe it is the type of carbs and as someone who has had IR/hypoglycemic issues in the past, my blood sugar levels stay fairly normal on my current version of higher carb diet.

I think people should do what makes them feel best though. If someone wants to eat higher carb or lower carb or higher fat or lower fat, go for it. If you are having issues for one reason or another, look at tweaking to fix but I think overall, understand that your way of life may not be someone elses.
  • Sabine_Stroehm

I think there is something that we can all agree with and that is that there is something wrong with the Standard American Diet/Western diet.

There are many countries in the world that thrive on high carbs with low levels of diabetes, cancer, heart disease, osteoporosis, etc. There are also a few cultures that thrive on very high fat/low carb diets with similar results. The human body is very adaptable though and macronutrients can vary greatly without ill effects. I'm more inclined to believe it is the type of carbs and as someone who has had IR/hypoglycemic issues in the past, my blood sugar levels stay fairly normal on my current version of higher carb diet.

I think people should do what makes them feel best though. If someone wants to eat higher carb or lower carb or higher fat or lower fat, go for it. If you are having issues for one reason or another, look at tweaking to fix but I think overall, understand that your way of life may not be someone elses.
    Actually, I'm not sure many folks WOULD agree with the fact that there's something wrong with the Western Diet.
  • raystark

Actually, I'm not sure many folks WOULD agree with the fact that there's something wrong with the Western Diet.

Most Standard Americans wouldn't. Otherwise it would not be known by that name.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    This is still going on? For the love of peaches. Some people don't eat carbs. Deal with it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to eat the foods I want because you aren't the boss of me.

(not low carb, for the record)
  • Sabine_Stroehm

Most Standard Americans wouldn't. Otherwise it would not be known by that name.
    ha. Exactly. I think most folks would say: it's fine. I just need to watch my portions.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Why would depriving your body of ANY crucial nutrient would be good, especially carbohydrates, which are the building blocks of energy?

Actually fat is the building main block of energy...? The reason carbs become what our bodies use to fuel themselves is because the average diet has such an over abundance of them coming in. Carbs are necessary to stimulate proper brain function, but it really doesn't take that many to do it...

LOL, total Broscience! Main building block of energy?? ROFL
This discussion has been closed.