Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @laurie--so glad your dad is doing better and that he responded to the meds. That is scary and I'm sure your exhaustion was due to the emotional roller-coaster as much as it was physical. Good call taking the night off. We are also close to being done. My seniors have one more week--their last day in my classroom is Friday then they have finals the following week. We have 19 more work days. :smile:

@melissa--glad you are whittling down the writing assignments.

@tammy--good job staying in twoderville. The camping trip sounds like it will be fun.

@lori--I'm also a firm believer in the wonders of Zicam. I try to always keep some handy since it works best if you start it at the first sign of the sniffles. I can honestly tell you 3.1 isn't that much different from 2 miles, just slow down slightly and you will rock that 5k!

@gena--looks like a great variety of exercise planned for the week. I get very bored with doing the same exercise and also like to mix it up. I think that's why I've lost a lot of my motivation since I hurt my shoulder. I can't do much other than walk or run. Even the elliptical hurts my shoulder if I do the arms. Can't wait for my ortho appt this coming Tuesday--he'd better have some sort of solution to this problem.

@tracy (goings)--congrats on the continued losses!!

@tom--the Underground America site was funny. I was reading the "ways to celebrate" to my colleagues and we were having a chuckle.

Welcome to the newlings!!

Saturday Success:
    I'm not having many in the fitness area, but our membership ratified our contract so that's a huge success.

I also finished all of the Yeats reflections and a few more junior research papers. My goal is to spend get through as much as possible this weekend. I'm at starbucks right now preparing to grade (or is it procrastinating? :wink: ).

I had the gym scheduled, but my knee has really been bothering me lately, so I'm going to just walk gunner later instead.

I haven't been paying enough attention to my protein, so I prelogged my dinner and will exceed my goal today.

May Challenge:
    Nutrition = At or over 90 grams of protein 5/7 days a week
    Week 1: At/over 90g of protein 1/7
    Week 2: At/over 90g of protein 3/7
    Week 3: At/over 90g of protein x/7
    Week 4: At/over 90g of protein x/7

Exercise = run 3 x/week:
    Week 1: 1/3 runs
    Week 2: 1/3 runs
    Week 3: x/3 runs
    Week 4: x/3 runs

Next 8k is May 9th (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15, 3/29 = 59:15; 5/9 = 59:16)

Grading Goals:
    1.11/60 JRPs
    2. x/60 Hemingway analyses
    3. 64/64 Yeats reflections DONE

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--rest day
    Mon--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs--rest day
    Fri--walk gunner DONE
    Sat--walk gunner + gym

2015 Mantra = Just 15 minutes
  • TheCareerDiva
    TheCareerDiva Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @Annr Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes you just need somebody to understand your point of view! I get frustrated when he doesn't but I no life is a give and take. I need to try an let him know how I feel when I am calm. It's probably not receive as well when I'm not. Lol we both are still trying to learn each other I guess! I think he was having a rough day that was part of the issue with his change in approach. I tried to let him know that for me when I'm in the moment of crisis is not the time to be tough or teach a lesson. Not when I'm struggling! He can be really sweet at times hopefully this won't happen again.I agree communication is the key! And yes I know sometimes I to and hard to read and an emotional mess lol I think he doesn't know how to handle me at times :smile:
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    I am still on an emotional roller coaster right now with my dad. He did have a heart attack, has not walked in at least 8 days, but on the bright side he looked better today than he has in a while. Tomorrow, he is suppose to be released from the hospital to a nursing home. We still don't know which nursing home he is going too, I hope he goes to one closest to us.

It is going to be a long night, my dad is on the phone and he is not having a good night. I must say this is taking a major toll on me. Both mentally and physically, I will be so relieved when this is over. Tomorrow I hope to go for a bike ride, I just pray that I do not need to head back to the hospital tonight and that my Dad calms down.

Thanks for listening to me. Your support means so much.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good Saturday to all,
    I hope everyone is safe from the many storms this season. Welcome to the newlings!

@skinnyjeanzbound - Yea, on the ratification!
    @Lauriek70 - Such a relief for your family. I hope all goes well with your dad so you and mom get a much needed rest while he is in the nursing home.
    @jtconst - Good job staying in twoderville. It takes dedication, you stick to your plan and twoderville will stick to you.
    @Gena_Beana - Great workout schedule, you are doing so well. Do you have a jogging stroller. There are quite a few people who run with them on the trail near my house. This is something you could do with your son. I hope you get to enjoy your weekend with your toddler. Those days fly by so very quickly.
    @GOINSTD12 - Yea, on the weight loss, you are amazing! With all you have going on in your life you are choosing to put yourself on the to do list.
    @Annr - Happy one year anniversary. Such a great accomplishment.

AFM - Getting really hyped for the next race. Two weeks from tomorrow. A sprint triathlon, 400 yd swim, 18.5 mile bike, 5K. I did massive biking today. Went to spin class this morning not knowing she was doing "Power Hour", an hour of the hardest tracks. Then this afternoon I was sitting on the sofa getting mad about something and decided to take a ride and ended up doing an 80 minute ride. Tomorrow I will run my first 5K ever. Monday will be a rest day. At least I should have a good weigh in this week.

I started using Map My Fitness and it posts my biking and running directly to MFP. I love my new iphone.

The name of the book my counselor recomended is The Love Dare I had the name wrong in the previous post. Hubby is on board with doing this activity. I listened to a program on public radio about sucessful couples. It seems that long term success depends more on the commitment than finding "the right one". While Gary has his flaws, I know I have just as many. I hope I can find the resolve to give this my all. I so very much want happiness in my relationship. We have been together over 36 years. I do believe fixing myself will be the key to finding happiness in all aspects of my life.

Thank you all for your open sharing. You have all helped me in more ways than I can say. I do think about this group so many times a day. You are all such amazing people. I am so very glad to be a part of this group.

Love to all,
    Lori <3

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @TheCareerDiva Happy Saturday you. Yep guys can be complete ALIENS some days, and sweet puppies the next. They are pretty much as unpredictable as we are:-) I think as long as couples act like kids once in a while, laugh at each other until we about pee, never second-guess each other, never mind-read each other, and tell each other straight up about our feelings...then life is just about perfect. I have been blessed to have such a man, and I plan on telling him so every day. It's strange, before his transplant he wasn't emotional, was always on point, and I never knew how to connect with him. Now, after his transplant, it has been non-stop appreciative, loving, and every day ending up in his arms. I think he rec'd an Italian liver, being romantic, loving life AND pizza.... truely!
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    @Laurie ... I hope your dad continues to improve, taking a break and some time for yourself to relax and regroup emotionally and physically will do you some good.

@cblue ... I am in awe of how you are keeping everything together with all the things you have gone through in the last while... and are still continuing to keep fit and lose weight. It's great that you can use exercise as an outlet for mental/physical stress instead of food.

I am exhausted and sore after going kayaking today on a very shallow river. I didn't realize the water was more than a foot lower than normal and in spots I had to exit my kayak and drag it over the rocks to deeper water. I also started out paddling upstream so the shallow rapids tested my strength (my arms are killing me right now) but I got a lot of practice getting in and out of the kayak without tipping it. I'm sure it wasn't pretty to watch but I have gotten close to perfecting the art of standing up in a kayak... and it's not easy! My knees are really sore however, especially my right one. Something I will have to see a doctor about if it does not improve soon.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    So much of the discussion about relationships reminds me of a saying that I have asked my girls to stencil for our anniversary. "A perfect marriage is two imperfect people who don't give up on each other." Fifty years is a long time, and we have had our ups and downs, but I'm glad we didn't give up. It isn't getting easier. I'm not enjoying having to do all the driving and it's hard that there are so many things that he can't do any more. But the doctor reminds me that it could be so much worse, and I am grateful.
    @Laurie I hope things settle down with your father. This is a very stressful time for you and your mother.
    Continue to enjoy the weekend.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday everyone. Sorry I haven't posted in a few days, I've been busy rewriting a Nativity play I wrote four years ago, in the hopes that my boys schools will use it this year for their Christmas play. I know its a long time away but it gives me time to make sure its the way God wants it to be. I read it over with two of my boys and I still not sure if its right but I will leave in Gods hands.
    Will post tomorrow. Lots to do today!!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hey everyone! Going to skip personals for now-may have time for some later.

Sunday Share:
    I saved the concert details for my share this week. Thursday night a friend and I went to see The Who Cares Fundraiser for Teen Cancer. It was incredible. A pretty small venue (Rosemont Theater) for such big stars. The show began with Roger Daltry (of The Who) greeting the crowd and explaining he was under doctor's orders to not sing--he was only listed as the host, so I think this was planned. Rather than typing out the play by play, I found the set list online and copied and pasted it:

"She Asked Me," Simon Townshend and Eddie Vedder
    "I'm the Answer," Simon Townshend and Eddie Vedder
    "Blue, Red and Grey," Eddie Vedder
    "Far Behind," Eddie Vedder
    "Corrine, Corrina," Eddie Vedder and Pete Townshend
    "You Stand By Me," Eddie Vedder and Pete Townshend
    "Drowned," Pete Townshend
    "I'm the One," Pete Townshend
    "The Kids Are Alright," Pete Townshend and Joe Walsh
    "Eminence Front," Pete Townshend and Joe Walsh
    "Summertime Blues," Pete Townshend, Joe Walsh and Joan Jett
    "I Can't Explain," Pete Townshend
    "Behind Blue Eyes," Eddie Vedder and Pete Townshend
    "Betterman," Eddie Vedder and Pete Townshend
    "Save It For Later," Eddie Vedder and Pete Townshend
    "Won't Get Fooled Again," Eddie Vedder, Pete Townshend, Joe Walsh and Rick Nielsen
    "My Generation," Eddie Vedder, Pete Townshend, Joe Walsh and Rick Nielsen

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/live-reviews/eddie-vedder-pete-townshend-lead-a-who-jam-session-for-a-good-cause-20150515#ixzz3aRHyn6dl

I'm of the age to know all of the popular Who songs and even saw them in concert back in the late '80s. However, the real treat for me was Eddie Vedder. I'm an avid Pearl Jam fan and haven't seen them live since the early '90s. They played Wrigley Field here in Chicago 2 summers ago and I was out of the country. Last fall they played some Midwest shows and I couldn't make any of them. Seeing Eddie perform with The Who makes me realize how much I want to see Pearl Jam again--crossing my fingers they will tour near Chicago in 2015.

Definitely a night to remember!

May Challenge:
    Week 3: At/over 90g of protein x/7

Exercise = run 3 x/week:

Next 8k is May 9th (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15, 3/29 = 59:15; 5/9 = 59:16)

Grading Goals:
    1.15/60 JRPs

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner
    Mon--walk gunner + gym
    Tues--ortho appt (maybe walk gunner afterward)
    Wed--meeting
    Thurs--walk gunner + gym
    Fri--walk gunner
    Sat--walk gunner

• ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Had a good day, Yesterday went over on popcorn!
    Glad to hear of all the success and sorry to hear of you that have experiencing difficulty in your lives.
    I pray for your comfort and that you continue to thrive.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Sunday share. Today my oldest grandson graduated from high school. When TJ was 4-years-old, his mother decided she was tired of being married. Our oldest son, his dad, moved home so we could help with him because he wanted to have equal custody. For 14 years he has been an integral part of our lives. I've done a lot of mothering. He'll be leaving in a few days to stay with his half sister and work for the summer, then off to school. We will miss him so much. Because this is his home I kind of ended up being in charge of the BBQ this afternoon. Fed 26 people. Thom didn't get to come because his kids were sick.
    This week has been terrible for my healthy life style, today being the worst. I'm so glad tomorrow is another day. I'm really going to work very hard at logging and walking for the next month. I know the week of our anniversary party will be hard, too.
    Have a good week.
    onward and downward. Kaye
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Hello All - My heart goes out to all of you who are suffering with problems with family... it sure is hard to love and see someone suffering. I will pray for you all.

@Laurie - it just seems to be piling up with your dad. I hope he does get into a nursing home close to you. Its exhausitng to hear bits of news like that about the heart attack after the fact. Its a shock to your system. Glad your getting lots of rest.

@Diva - your friend is being insensitive. Sometimes, like youve expressed yourself here so well in writing, maybe you could write him a note and ask him to read it and think about it. That might get through to him better than a conversation.

@Kaye -congratulations on 50 years of marriage - I wish you many more anniversaries.

@Newbies - welcome to all of you - this column is a wonderful conversation and full of so many supportive people.

AFM: And Very Late Sunday Share: I'm Ellen - and I live in Omaha - a little city but big on spirit, home of Warren Buffett - 3 richest man in America - but unfortunately not related to me. Home of the College World Series. and US Olympic Swim Trials.

So, been laid up with both legs out with sciatica still - but saw doc on Fri and he's going to inject by the nerves with cortisone or something on Monday. cannot wait. Been not able to stand for more than 5 min - bummer. After injection its important not to move around for 2 days so injection gets absorbed into tissues. Can't even swim this way. But - Need to clean house by Weds am cuz appraiser coming at 10 am -only time slot we both could agree on. Maybe she's used to seeing messes. hmm.... Due to the pain have not eaten any large amts of food - good side affect.

Been mulling over this business of us wanting to be "THIN" and I have come to hate that word. THIN vs FAT. Want to write more about that. We should all want to be NORMAL.

• jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    @RobinsEgg, Ellen, I hope you feel better soon. Its not easy to sit or lie down when you used to bring active. Sending healing your way. God is your strength.
    @skinnyjeanzbound, I'm so happy for you that you went to the concert and had a great time. I haven't been to a concert in years. Hoping to go to one soon if I get the chance.
    @grandmakaye44, not many people would do all you have done for your family. I admire you so much. You are truly an inspiration. Your son is blessed to have such a wonderful lady as his mum.

I will do yesterday, well last night and today but keep it short, because going to bed again in a few minutes, I've not slept well at all.
    Last night my husband was rushed into hospital with severe headache, high fever and nausea. Turns out he has typhoid fever and I feel its due to the food the girl that helps me out cooked and gave him. She is wicked, truly wicked. She is one of those girls who likes to cause trouble in peoples homes. I've tried to tell my husband she is no good but he hasn't done anything. Maybe this will finally get her out. I'm not going to do or say anything to her, I'll leave that for my husband's family and God.
    He's still in the hospital and I don't want our little girl to see him on a drip because she will never forget it. Can't get in to see him as the boys gone to school and there is a fuel shortage. Will call him later to see if he wants us to come in. He's getting treatment and is in God's hands so I'm going to try not to worry. In the 14 years we've been together, I've never ever seen him this sick. He really scared me. I don't ever want to think of my life without him in it. He and the kids are my world.

Today, I'm hoping to try workout after hurting my legs the other day getting up from the couch. First it was my right leg, then the left. Thank God I can move around. I just want to take it easy working out. Maybe will do some gardening!!
    Still at 79kg. I'm feeling better than ever and more energetic. Says the girl that hasn't slept, lol!!
    Hope everyone is ok! God bless you all!!!
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy International Museum Day!
    International Museum Day (IMD) is a celebration that held every year on or around 18 May, coordinated by the International Council of Museums (ICOM). The event highlights a specific theme that changes every year and that is at the heart of the international museum community’s preoccupations.
    The International Museum Day provides the opportunity for museum professionals to meet the public and alert them as to the challenges that museums face. Indeed, following the definition of museums provided by ICOM, a museum is a non-profit, permanent institution in the service of society and its development, open to the public, which acquires, conserves, researches, communicates and exhibits the tangible and intangible heritage of humanity and its environment for the purposes of education, study and enjoyment. International Museum Day therefore serves as a platform to raise public awareness on the role museums play in the development of society today, on an international level.

International Council of Museums

International Museum Day

An optimist is someone who figures that if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's the bluebird of happiness. ~Robert Brault

11857432.png

Tom
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Laurie~glad that your dad is doing better, hope he is home soon.

@Karen~I'm so jealous of that concert, what a fabulous song set--sounds like a blast!

@Robin~Sorry you're sciatica has been acting up, hope you feel better soon. Yes, I think an important mindset is to find "normal," and not think of it as "thin."

@Kaye~Happy Anniversary! My parents celebrate their 50th in August. I'll be in Alaska so we're planning a celebration in July--they'll be visiting my sister in CO, so I'm flying in as a surprise over July 4th weekend.

AFM~Not much to report other than I bought a new car on Saturday. I traded my 9-year old Rav4 with 100k+ miles on it for a 2015 Ford Escape Titanium--what a change. :wink: I was sorry to see my Rav4 go, but the deal was too good to pass up--good price on the Escape plus they gave me blue book for my trade-in. I miss my Rav4, but sure do love all the goodies this car has--I feel spoiled already. :lol:
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Howdy MFPeeps!
    Feeling pretty good today.
    Sister is off today so no tension there.
    Wearing my new pencil skirt today and feeling pretty good about the progress I have made.

Just wanted to chime in on the thin/normal thing.
    I choose to call it fit.
    I am moving toward being fit. Not necessarily thin. Fitness comes in many shapes and sizes. There is a man at my gym that regularly runs marathons. He has a HUGE beer belly. Honestly you could almost park a plate on it when he sits down. There are women at my gym who can do an hour on the elliptical and no way are they anything but a plus size.
    All these people are more fit than I was when I started my weight loss journey. No they are not thin and maybe never will be. But they are fit.
    When I started my weight loss journey all my health numbers were within normal range excepting my weight. Was I thin - No. Was I fit - No. But my numbers did not tell the whole story. The scale does not tell the whole story either.
    I will be doing my first ever triathlon in two weeks time. Yet according to the BMI I am still obese. Am I fit - Yes!
    Am I thin - No. Will I ever be thin - I do not have a crystal ball, so I do not know.
    I do know that I feel pretty good today.
    Love to all,
    Lori <3
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    I saw the first real signs of improvement in my dad today. I am actually starting to believe that he will get better. The weekend was not kind to him and it was disheartening.

I am exhausted today so I am ending this early. I am thinking of all of you and wishing you the best.

• skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @laurie-- so glad to hear you are seeing visible improvement in your dad.

@lori & robin-- I agree that fit or healthy is the better goal than "thin."

@robin-- sorry to hear you are in pain, but glad you are going to the doctor soon. I have my ortho appt tomorrow after school. Can't wait to get some answers and a treatment plan.

@lori-- wow, only 2 weeks until your tri!! You must be so excited!!

@kelley-- how exciting that you got your new car. When we bought my DH's Jeep in 2007, we also looked at the Escape. Very nice! Yes, I'm very lucky I got to go to that show. I even bought a commemorative poster that I plan to frame and hang somewhere in my house.

@tom-- I love going to museums! I can't wait until my niece is just a little bit older so I can take her. She already likes the Shedd Aquarium quite a bit, but isn't quite old enough to appreciate some of the others in Chicago. When my best friend's son was 13, I spent one summer sitting for him every Friday. We did all of the museums downtown and it was a blast.

@jorinya-- So sorry to hear you husband is sick, but glad he is at hospital getting the care he needs. I used to go to concerts all the time when I was younger, but teaching HS students means there's a chance I will run into them if I go see some of the more popular contemporary bands. Not much chance of them being at a Who concert though. In fact, I was on the young side for that crowd and I'm 45! LOL

@kaye-- Such bittersweet moments when kids grow up and go off on their own. Is he going to school far away from you? My godson (mentioned above to tom) is getting married in September--I can't believe how time flies by. I was only 18 when he was born--sheesh, where have the years gone?

@ushkii-- I bought my students popcorn for their viewing of the movie Up in class today. (We watch it as part of our Moral Theory unit). I admit to munching on some as well. However, I bought a brand called Fit Pop which is only 130 calories for 3.5 cups and it was delicious! I got the extra virgin olive oil flavor, but they also have sea salt and parmesan. I plan to try both in the future.

Monday Check in:
    Well, my weight is still up and it's no mystery why. My inability to participate in a lot of the exercises I really enjoy, like lifting, has left me with less motivation to be active. I've also avoided the one activity that doesn't hurt my shoulder, running, b/c my knee has been acting up. On the up side, the weather has at least made daily walks with gunner doable.

I've also been better with my food over the past several days. Protein has been up and I've stayed close to allowance. I leave for Nashville in 10 days, and though I have no grand illusions about losing any real weight, I plan to be more disciplined in both food and exercise over the next week and a half. I have the ortho appt tomorrow and a meeting and dinner on Wed., but Thursday will be a gym visit for sure. I may try the stair climber and see how that affects my knee--I read something that said stairs and uphill climbs are both good for the type of injury I have, so I'll have to try and see.

Grading is still going. About halfway through my JRPs--would love to get those checked off my list!

May Challenge:
    Week 3: At/over 90g of protein 3/7

Exercise = run 3 x/week:

Grading Goals:
    1.28/60 JRPs
    3. x/60 Quote analyses

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE
    Mon--walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Tues--ortho appt (maybe walk gunner afterward)
    Wed--meeting
    Thurs--walk gunner + gym
    Fri--walk gunner
    Sat--walk gunner

• TheCareerDiva
    TheCareerDiva Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @RobinsEgg you may have something with the writing my POV for BF to read to get a better understanding. there have been times when we've been in heated discussions that he's gone back and reread what I wrote in a text and thought about it, and have a change of attitude. I've decided I can't let him be a barrier. he also needs to get in shape and lose weight but his schedule now is so crazy working two jobs one thats 10 hours at a time, he works overnight so his days are out of whack. But he is always so tired that even though he might say he wants to exercise with me, typically will try and bow out of it when the time really comes. So I can't rely on him as my exercise partner or even motivator for that part. I've been logging in to My Fitness Pal and exercising, this week which I count from Thursday, I went for a walk, today I went to a Zumba class and Wednesday I will go to a line dancing class. I have to do this for me! Thanks for the advice!
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy World Autoimmune Arthritis Day: 19-21

World Autoimmune Arthritis Day

Facebook

Janssen Supports World Autoimmune Arthritis Day

World Autoimmune Arthritis Day 2015

Good for the body is the work of the body, and good for the soul is the work of the soul, and good for either is the work of the other. ~Henry David Thoreau

11857432.png

Tom