Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Crazy day today! Had an appointment for a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound on my right breast (last year's cancer was in the left). Wonderful news, negative for any suspicious masses, yeah!
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Dang it where's the rest of my post?!!!

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Life just has a way of throwing us curve balls, I'm glad its the weekend as I had a trying week. Confronted management about my small raise, but it didn't go anywhere and when my boss explained it to me he made me really angry--he is passive aggressive with a huge napoleon complex so difficult to deal with at times and not the best with his communication skills. It was everything I could do to go to work Thursday/Friday. :rage: Then Thursday night I tweaked my Achilles while vacuuming the stairs, was back in the doctors office on Friday to find out I now have an avulsion fracture (part of the bone tore away when I strained my Achilles)--they almost put me in a plaster cast (in this heat? ick), but I promised to stay in my boot and not take it off except to sleep/shower. I'm getting around without crutches so far this morning but wasn't yesterday. Oy vey! I have 60-days for things to heal and imagine I'll be in a boot for my cruise (which will make kayaking difficult). Surgery isn't possible until after my cruise, recovery is too long--I go back to see him on the 25th to see how its progressing.

@GOINSTD12~Great news on your mammogram results! Reminds me, I need to get mine done. Is DH home?

@Susan~Enjoy the quiet time while Cyrus is with your parents. Good luck with your ablation, it was life changing for me! :wink:

@Karen~Speaking of injuries, how is your shoulder doing?

Enjoy your Saturday! I'll be binge watching recordings on my DVR. :wink:

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Heard an interesting radio broadcast on America's Test Kitchen Radio ... they interviewed a doctor (Wang?) who wrote a book titled something like "Food and Your Brain". Excuse the incorrectness of my title and doctor name because I didn't write it down and my memory is more faulty all the time ... Anyway ....

What he said is that we should consider the food we eat with the same care we give to the medicines (drugs) we take. That food is a drug as well as the pills and potions we take. His advice was to eat during a restricted time starting with your biorhythm low point ... usually just as you wake up ... and then fast the rest of the time. He also suggested that if you cannot do that, then consume you most packed calories at your first meal.

You may have heard the phrase "Eat breakfast like a king and supper like a pauper" ... that's pretty much what he recommends if you must eat 3 meals a day instead of cramming your food into the 5 or 6 hours after you first wake up.

Another thing he said was "Donuts and coffee are your brains best breakfast" ... because if we did stop eating early in the day we have been fasting 12-14-16 hours before we wake up in the morning and our brains are screeming for those quick loaded glycemic foods ... donuts are great. The coffee comes in for some other biochemical mumbo-jumbo I could not fully understand beyond that it calms the 'fight-flight' response we have when we are hungry.

A thing that stuck me the most was when he said the reason you should eat a lot early in the day and then fast is because you want get your blood sugar to drop after your last feed and keep it low the rest of the 24-hour period because that's when your body resorts to burning the fat in your cells as a means of energy.

Hmmm ... gotta see what's left on my Amazon gift card, I might buy that book he wrote.

Taking his advise ... I think I'll go cram some more good into my gullet --- oh, on second thought, I just had soup and am not hungry right at the moment ... maybe I'll try this tomorrow.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hello All,
    Doing my Sunday share and catching up on a few things. I too have been lurking this week but not posting.
    Taking it a little easy the past few days. Catching up on sleep and recovery.
    My name is Lori, been on this thread since last August. I had been more than 100 pounds over weight for more than 23 years. Started my weight loss journey 3 1/2 years ago and really got serious last June and joined mpf at that time.
    The scale was not kind on Tuesday I was 4# above my ticker. I have been much more diligent about my food since then but not the same control I used to have so I have no idea where it will be next weigh in. Fitness is going well. I went to a core fitness class today and while I did not max out on every exercise, I did keep up for most of it and had to modify only about 1/4 of the exercises. Core strength is something I want to work on for the next couple of months.
    Work is going pretty well and I am trying to be better at communication with my sister. It is a challenge. There is so much I am working on trying to unlearn from my childhood. And she is living right there in the same mind set I used to have.
    Hubby and I had a great talk today. I told him quite a bit about the things I am working on with my counselor. We are both trying very hard to be agreeable. It does help. He did point out that in very many ways I am a glass 1/2 empty type. I had to agree with him but I am so uncertain about my life right now that everything is difficult for me.
    I am invited to a party tonight. One of the guys from the gym had a valve replacement and he is cleared for all activities. So we are celebrating. I did a great workout this morning so I am not too worried about food. It will be nice to see some gym friends outside the gym.

@mnwalkingqueen - Glad to see you pop in. My husband has been unemployed several times in our marriage and it has never been easy. I hope a job finds you soon.
    @jorinya - Hope you are doing better and that you will be back to health soon.
    @Annr - I find that so interesting how your son and husband both living in the same house but not at the same time.
    @susan2396 - Yea, on the dating front and Yea, on the break from your son. I know you love him but it is also nice to miss him.
    @tlh0407 - I remember the summers when the boys were home. Challenging but also very fun.
    @GOINSTD12 -Woot, woot, on the Mammogram!!!!
    @kah68 - Take care on the achilles, follow orders, be safe. (not that you need to hear that from me)
    @NK1112 - I would love more info on the program you listened to. Also the name of the Dr. and the book.
    @Davy_RockHit214 @samdelstorm @MalanyaChmy - Welcome, hope you post often so we get to know you.
    Well, here I am at the end of another week. Did not get done all I had planned but got more things done that never were written into the plan.

Love to all,
    Lori <3

Be stronger than your strongest excuse!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @cblue315 Ok now I am confused.. lol I have 3 sons. Two are older and in the Navy. The last son is still 16 so he still lives with us. My husband and my 16 yr old are living together...um ....at the same time...

OOOh today has been clear blue and sunny! I have drunk...(is that right) 70 oz of water, because I have been lying outside. Woohoo me.

You are all doing MAUVALOUS!!!

I picked some spinach leaves last night and had them in a breakfast burrito this morning...Yummy!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    @Annr - OMG - had you mixed up with someone else. Need to keep better notes. My shorthand is just too short me me to understand what I want to remember.

• Annr
    Options
    @cblue315 HAHAHAHA.... no worries friend. Thread mixing....hmmm I hope the other one appreciates my strange humor. :wink:
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    cblue315 wrote: »
    @mnwalkingqueen - Please stay! One of the things I so love about this "group" is the acceptance. Any one in any place - losing, gaining or maintaining is welcome here. I know I would hate to see you leave because you felt you did not belong here. We all belong if we want to.
    I am so very sorry to hear about your depression. I have been there at many times in my life.
    I have vented, ranted and bragged enough on here and have always felt welcome.

Happy Memorial Day to all. I feel so very fortunate to live in this country with our proud heritage of our military.
    Thank you all who have served or who is a support to someone who has served.

Love to all,
    Lori <3
    tlh0407 wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I spent the evening with my daughter and her friend at the carnival. I’m a little annoyed because there were times my Fitbit wasn’t catching my steps. I decided that I would try not to stand in line with the kids…I paced a lot and actually while they were on the rides, I would walk around the ride the whole time. For example, during one 15 minute period, it only counted 22 steps and I know I was pacing during that time frame. Then we left the carnival at 8:22 exactly and walked from the middle to the parking lot and it only counted 112 steps during the half hour from 8:15 – 8:45. Considering it was about 1 ½ city blocks, I think it’s wrong.  This was the first day that it seems off….I’ll have to keep an eye on it.

@Kaye…love the new picture. Good looking couple of 50 years! I remember watching my mom and grandma can oh so many things. Juneberries were a big one. My mom just made a homemade Juneberry Pie. Our spouses don’t love it like we do, but I think a main draw to it is remembering going Juneberry picking with Grandma.
    @Holly…productive! My husband and I were just talking about our plans for the yard…this is our first year here and we’re doing the ‘tear down” this year. We have some plans but no money so we’re going to spend the money taking out what we don’t want and the plan is to buy some plants this fall. Human Trafficking is such a hot topic in ND now with the oil fields. Disgusting!! I wish there was just an easy answer but the problem just keeps getting bigger and the stories sadder.
    @Jorinya…hopefully you can get to the bottom of the issue soon.
    @Susan…good for you for catching the scammer before he caught you. Good luck with this guy…slow and steady wins the race, right? I understand your excitement of having Cyrus gone. The two years I was single, I got very used to having every Monday and Tuesday to myself. Now I haven’t been alone in the house for more than a 12 hour period for a LONG time. That ends soon. Emma leaves for camp from Tuesday – Saturday. Michael and Jacob are leaving in the wee hours of Wednesday morning and won’t be back until late on Thursday – that’s one full day without anyone in my house! I do have a Football Booster meeting, but other than that…I’m going to enjoy some peace and quiet and NOT clean.

AFM…the kids are now officially done with school and we start our summer with quite a bit of activity. I’m off to bed as I have to have Jacob to the airport by 3:30. He’s headed to DC with 61 other kids/chaperones from his school. Found out his charger doesn’t work, so we have to get that taken care of, but he’s packed and I have my list of last minute – deodorant, tooth brush etc. He’s gonna have so much fun and I’m jealous! I had a gym plan and that fell apart but my eating has been pretty good. I had fair food today but it appears that I’ve stayed within calories and got 16 glasses of water in me.

Good night everyone! Have a great weekend!

• mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    hey everyone hope everybody is doing good.
    as for me I'm learning a hard lesson anyone who has kids that are in their teens or early twenties please pass this advice on...poor choices that we make as teens or young adults could affect you 20 30 40 years later. I've learned that my poor choices at 18 years old have made it impossible for me to get a job in a certain field now. So one of my interviews that I had this past week was completely washed out the door. I'm house sitting for an ex boss their puppy is not trained with any commands and all she does is bark all day long I'm really starting to think I'm getting underpaid but I was the one that refused more money.
    AnnR- congratulations on the changes you got to happen at the tops meeting. I must say by having a teenage son myself I was a little shocked that your son didn't want to drive.
    Malanya Chmy- welcome to the group. sorry I don't have advice on food because I'm one of those people that could eat the same thing everyday of my life.
    Susan-Susan I will keep you in my prayers I hope all of this works out for you and good luck with your surgery
    Nk1112- you will get back on track and I was reading your post about the book and the thing that I found funny for myself was to eat like you would take your meds or something like that I don't take medicine so I guess I would never eat.
    Goinstd12- I am sorry to hear about your health issues and I will keep you in my prayers but you had great news on your masses
    Tlh0407- months ago I had similar issue with my Fitbit I don't remember what I did to fix it but I remember going to their online site and reading through the suggestions and one of the suggestions worked and I agree with you Jacob will have fun in DC.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Susan- Good luck with your surgery. I was wondering about your sister and if she was coming back to Atlanta with you. Are you still considering doing the Hero's Run in September? If so, let me know and I will plan to come down for it.

Kelley- Sorry to hear about the bone fracture. Did that happen the first time you hurt the Achillies or the 2nd?

Tlh- Jacob will have fun in DC and you get to enjoy a house free of kids.

Queen- You are right about the choices we made in our teens, 20's and 30's do impact us when we get older. Sorry, that a past laspe in judgement is impeding your job search. As teachers we try to get the kids to understand that the choices they make will impact them later in life. However, it does not sink in until much later in life.

I had a great birthday today and I did not overdo it on food. Swim practice this morning and a friend surprised me with balloons on the car when I came out. Then out to breakfast, which I split with a friend. A nice massage that worked some very tense muscles. Then enjoyed some quiet time and a snack. Tonight went out to dinner with my mom and a co-worker. Dessert was a piece of ice cream cake from my co-worker and Friday's lunch time treat. It was a great day. Tomorrow, will be a bike ride and kayaking. I am hoping that a few people will join me for the kayaking trip followed by a family party.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday and that you have a great day.
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    ardysedwardsmcgrath Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    thanks all for the positive words :wink: here im back on here what almost 2mos later! ugh.. im gonna try on trucking along.. yes ive still kept off 17lbs so thats good just that stubborn15lbs id gain for falling off the wagon.. ugh.. im reading some books on losing&the different lifestyle Id done it yrs ago after birth of my2nd daughter went from a womans sz24 to a misses sz10&kept it off for sometime.. then went back up to sz22 now im in a plateua of18 so 4 more sizes
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    ardysedwardsmcgrath Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i hope i can remember where this thread is soo i can continue on here .. :)
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Laurie!!! sounds like a perfect day
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Lori -

Gary Wank (sp?) ... interviewed on the American Rest Kitvhen radio ptogram dor June 6th ... Your Brain On Food ... the interview starts at about 17 minutes into the show.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/radio/167-your-brain-on-food-lose-weight-live-longer-eat-chocolate-and-drink-coffee

MNwalking - If we only knew when we were young what we now know .... what's that old adage about hind-sight ... it's 20/20? All we can do is start where we are today and go forward as best we can. Hope a job comes your way real soon.

AFM ... It's a couple of hours early for a Sunday Share ... but here it goes anyway because I will not be on this computer tomorrow. First off, hello and welcome to all the posters. It's good to be able to communicate with other people who are going through a similar struggle ... so I hope we can all help you and one another in this difficult journey.

My name is Niki ... yes, it's not my given name, because people who know me well usually just call me Ni.

The only reason I want to lose weight is to hopefully regain some better health. I know that at my age (70 years) the long years of extra weight have led to a host of physical and emotional illnesses. Some of them would be lessened with a lighter load to carry and support. However, I go in spurts. I'll drop 20 or 30 pounds and then it'll start to creep back up for one reason or another. At least my weight stabalized after I fot off binge-dieting and eating see-saw. . I swore I would not ever 'diet' again ... that I would eat every-day type food. That change took a while to adhere, and did eventually.

I am a divorcee since 1980 and never found anyone else I wanted to marry up with so I've stayed single. Not dating anyone at the present either so there aren't many complications in my life from that corner. My ex was a long, lean and stick-straight kind of guy and I was short, slender but well rounded even when my waist measured 24 inches. Thank God my eye-color has stayed the same shade of blue, cause just about everything else has changed.

He (the x) had a lot to do with my keeping my weight where it belonged: after we broke up for good I didn't have anyone watching every mouthful of food I ate and my weight started to creep up. I also felt a lot of stress in my life, and ate the foods that gave me comfort or were cheap enough to fill me up 'on a dime' (potatoes, bread, bologna, peanut butter and jelly, macaroni, tomato sauce, milk, and apples, were the mainstays of my food stuffs for a number of years.)

By 1985 I was wearing a size 16 dress and it just went up from there. By the time our son got married another 8 years later I wore a size 20 dress. At my highest weight I wore a size 3X shirt and a size 24-26 pant. I'd stopped wearing dresses and skirts by then also. I carry the majority of weight in my middle ... guess you'd say I was a pear turned apple. Just loke my face went from heart-shaped to round.

My goal is to get below 200 pounds, and I really want to get out of the obese category...so that's another 25 pounds down from there. It's a slow, long and tortuous path for me. In February I was down to 239 pounds but have creapt back up to 250 since then. That's putting a strain on my clothes, which are now a size smaller than at my highest.

Still ... like my doctor said ... every year I weigh less at the end of the year than I did at the start is a good thing. When I see him next for a routine office call, I really want to be below what I was back in February. I'd like to be proud to be under 225 pounds at that time. All I have to do is hit on the correct activity and feed routine to made that happen. Sounds easier than it is ... but then, what else better do I have to do with my time?

Long Sunday Share from me .... hope it was as interesting for someone to read as it was for me to write it.
  • Annr
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen Well sadly its not surprising in this family. Both of his older brothers were never interested in driving. Just not on their to do list, and with them having to take an offical course, in addition to the drivers Ed in school, they just never seemed interested. Maybe it had to do with us never having the proper funds, and them not wanting to bother us financially, I don't know. They got their licence after bootcamp when they were in A School. I blame myself for their hesitancy because I was never a driver. My reasoning was because I just didn't want to play the game. To drive in California, takes balls, to put it simply. Defensive driving...no you have to drive like everyone is crazy.... It was part of my identity to not be a part of that. I would imagine my sons took on that mindset. I did get my licence at age 51, with my husband getting too weak to drive somedays. It was monumental, and I am sure my relatives in Heaven were dancing polka on that feat! I drive once a week, just to keep knowing the difference between the gas and the brake.. hahaha...
    Today is another beeeeautiful day! I am down abit on the scale, and today I am eating alot of greens and fruit. My spinach is growing great, and every other day I pick 2-3 large leaves. Just enough for me, so I am happy.
    My husband is making beer bread today. Its a mix, and you add beer. We picked out a Belguim style beer with a tangy strawberry flavor. So he has just given me a shot glass of it! He and my son graze on the bread all day...and the apartment has the fruity scent of beer... hahaha...
    This morning I woke up to a yellow rose in a vase on the coffee table. My husband goes out every Sunday to buy an Oregonian Sunday paper, and sometimes he finds himself in the flowers area. He is the sweetest thing. I am one lucky lady.
  • Annr
    Options
    <- Sunday Chalk Playtime! This is a great visual aide....
    Have fun :smiley:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Sorry I've been a bit MIA. I've been reading posts, but haven't had a chance to respond.

@laurie--Happy birthday!!! Hope you had a wonderful day! :smile:

@susan--great to see you back. Wow, a whole month without Cyrus! I know you'll miss him, but you definitely deserve some "me" time. Keep us posted on your dating adventures.

@tracy (goins)-- I was sorry to hear about your husband's and your COPD issues. On the flip side, so happy your mammogram was clear!

@holly-- my DH could probably relate to your job-hunt struggles. He made some bad choices before we met, and it's definitely limiting his opportunities now. However, you've really made some wonderful strides in going back to school--that's a choice that will pay off big for you.

Hello to everyone else, and welcome to all of the newlings!

Sunday Share:
    Kelley asked about my shoulder, so I'll start with that. I had an MRI on Thursday morning and it revealed a tear in the cartilage, a frozen shoulder, and tendonitis. I don't know yet if that means surgery, but I have an appt on 6/18 with an ortho (not the same rehab doc who gave me the cortisone shot and ordered the MRI). He will determine treatment course now that we actually know what's wrong.

Other than that, I've been pretty busy with end of school-year stuff. Almost done with grading and only one more day of classes tomorrow, Then it's 3 days of final exams and we're off until August. Can't wait!!

Another reason I've been MIA, is my friend who's battling metastatic breast cancer got married yesterday. Many of you know about her battle, but a quick recap: in Feb of 2014 she was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. She was only 27 at the time, so docs ordered genetic testing and found she has the BRCA1 gene meaning an 87% chance of recurrence if she kept the "twins." She went through chemo then had a double mastectomy last summer. In August she was declared cancer free, but this Feb they found a spot on her liver and shoulder.

In the interim she had met the love of her life, and they were planning an October 2015 wedding. However, the clinical trial she was in wasn't working, and she has to go back to traditional IV chemo. They decided to move the wedding up so they could celebrate while she still has the strength to enjoy the day. She looked so beautiful and we had a wonderful time celebrating her big day. It was definitely bittersweet though. She's not been given any prognosis, but I read somewhere that the average life expectancy after the second occurrence is 20 months. Life is so unfair. :(

I will be back later to update my goals.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Good afternoon!

Happy Birthday Laurie!

Happy Daniel Boone Day!

Not a breeze shook the most tremulous leaf. I had gained the summit of a commanding ridge, and, looking round with astonishing delight, beheld the ample plains, the beauteous tracts below.
    Daniel Boone, "The Adventures of Col. Daniel Boon," 55.
    The First American West: The Ohio River Valley, 1750-1820
    On June 7, 1769, frontiersman Daniel Boone first saw the forests and valleys of present-day Kentucky. For more than a century, the Kentucky Historical Society has celebrated June 7 as "Boone Day."

Daniel Boone Day

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. ~Thích Nhất Hạnh

11857432.png

Tom