Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I went to Burgerville with my son at dinner time and didn't eat, that was a minor miracle. I came home and ate my diet dinner, that was probably 1/10 the calories which is it's own reward.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hello All!
    @stephreyes1 - 124 pounds is amazing! How long did it take, how did you do it, tell me all please. PM me if you do not want to share here. I am down 122 myself so I know what it takes, I have about 30 to go.

@DSnutz - For my chocolate craving I drink a scoop of chocolate protein powder most days. It ususally does the trick but if not then an ounce or two of very dark chocolate will suffice.

@AngelikaLumiere - Woot on the fat pants being loose.

@skinnyjeanzbound - Back to the mountain of grading I see, the summer just did not last long enough.

@Terri70 - Congrats on the walking. If you keep it up your stamina and strength will build quickly.

@susan2396 - I would love to see a pic of your new hair. Sorry to hear about the bad luck with the game, driving etc. I had two boys in band and sports so lots of driving in my past. It just helps so very much when they get a license. Sorry to hear about Greg, hope he gets better quickly.

@sistermargret - I am so very understanding about the shower. My last bathroom remodel was scheduled for 3 weeks and ended up taking 9. I was humping laundry too as this was also my laundry room.

@Caketina @lisaq246 and any other newlings - Welcome, this is a great place to share. Come back often, post when you feel like it. We do love to share our struggles and successes.

AFM: I am now in Boulder. The drive today was very long. I did stop a couple of places along the way. I checked into my hotel about 5:30. I brought my bike and thought it would be wonderful to get in a ride before dark. There is a trail very close to my hotel. I got lost, very lost. The battery on my phone went dead. I do not have a headlight on my bike. There are no street lights here because they want to keep the light polution to a minimum.
    I stopped at a Safeway and they let me use the phone. I was 10 miles away from my hotel. The guy from the front desk came and got me. I am so glad there are so very many nice people in my life.
    The next two days are at the Hunter Douglas plant in Boulder. I will then be a certified installer. Not that it really means anything. I have been installing for 29 years. But they have new products and I need to be up to scratch on them. Plus it was a really good excuse for a road trip.
    This area is stunningly beautiful. If you ever get the chance to come here, do it.
    My stay with Ellen was delightful. We spent most of the day yesterday at the zoo in Omaha. A large part was under construction but I managed tickets with a golf cart tour and we did get in most of the exhibits. That zoo is rated one of the top in the country. So very worth a visit. When these construction projects are done it will be even more amazing.
    Speaking of amazing things I hope you all got to see the eclipse last night. If not, there are videos online and you can watch it in just a minute or two. The next one will not be until 2033.
    This post is getting rather long, I guess I am feeling chatty tonight.
    Love to all,
    Lori <3

If at first you don't succeed . . .
    Some of the world's most accomplished people experienced overwhelming failure before finding incredible success:
    Thomas Edison had about 1,000 failed attempts before inventing a long burning light bulb.
    Dr. Suess' first book was rejected by 27 publishers.
    Lucille Ball was known as the "Queen of the B Movies" before landing her timeless sitcom.
    James Dyson created 5,126 failed prototypes for his bagless vacuum.
    Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team.
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    @MissYatta90 Welcome! I have another 90 to lose, so I'm right there with you. We CAN do this!!!

@BarneyRubbleMD Welcome! Well done on your lose so far! That's great!

@AngelikaLumiere That's awesome! I have a hard time with stopping to get family stuff at fast food places. They call to me soooooo hard! lol Great job resisting!

@cblue315 Glad the clerk at the hotel helped you out. That's scary to be somewhere other than home and get lost. There are nice people out there and it sounds like you found a couple! Have a safe and fun trip!

Rainy and gloomy out today! No walking outside for this girl! lol Might do some laps in the hallway here at work later. Was on plan yesterday 90%. Had an extra cheese stick (60 cals) and only drank half my water. Just wasn't that thirsty. Gonna try to do better today.

Have a great day, y'all!
  • ChrisRendon1128
    ChrisRendon1128 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I started off 3 weeks ago completely changing my eating habits. I started at 286.8 lbs. Today, I weigh 271.8 lbs! I do feel the weight is coming off fast because I am just starting and I am sure I am losing water that I was retaining because of my salt intake. However, I do get scared of losing weight too fast. I am nervous about having excess hanging skin. Anyone else have this fear? I understand that health is more important, but I am 27 and would like to feel attractive. Any suggestions that have worked for you?

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Terri70~Great job with the walk! Baby steps, like you said. You’re already dehydrated if you wait until you’re thirsty to drink water—just try and make a habit of drinking 8-16oz. every hour, easy to get in that way. I like water and usually drink more than 100oz. a day, but if you don’t like it you could add lemon or lime to it.

@Susan~Sorry to hear about Greg’s illness, I’ve had pneumonia more times than I can count (got the vaccine 5-6 years ago). The trick to cutting curly hair is a dry cut, that’s what my hair stylist does—it’s easier for them to see both the length and the formation of your curls (my hair is super curly so it’s made a huge difference). There are salons that specialize in it (DevaCurl or Ouidad certified), but they can be pricey—I remember paying $90 one time for just a haircut! :confounded:

@Karen~I know the allergies/bronchitis that plagued me in Aug/Sep took a long time to recover from, crazy. Hope you’re better soon.

@Robin/Lori~Sounds like you two had a great visit! :smile:

Oy, I sure would welcome some Fall weather around here. They “say” we may dip in the 80s this weekend, I’ve believe it when I see it. :lol:

AFM~Had a really busy weekend and have been busy at work, more of the same next couple of weeks. Making time to attend a baby shower for my cousin this weekend though, otherwise continuing to prep house, etc. for after surgery (just a couple more weeks—eek!)
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone and welcome to all the new and returning posters. I haven't been very active on the message thread the past several weeks as I am still trying to reduce my PC time ... a habit that is hard to break.

I have Tuesday Goals I'd like to share ... there is a pile of stuff scattered around in my office and a whole bunch of shredded paper that escaped when I was shredding and bagging for a recycling collection. Today I mean to end up with a neat and tidy office once again. This is a second bedroom turned into an office so the room is a good size ... should be lots of fun (ugh, not!).

As for a food goal ... I have a goal to cook dinner for tonight ... yesterday I had to toss a bunch of celery and a beautiful eggplant that had been in the fridge for too long and went bad. I hate it when I waste money and food. Today I need to use up some of the veggies that are still good.

Have a wonderful day.
    Follow-through, Niki
  • kah68
    Options
    Hello everyone! I started off 3 weeks ago completely changing my eating habits. I started at 286.8 lbs. Today, I weigh 271.8 lbs! I do feel the weight is coming off fast because I am just starting and I am sure I am losing water that I was retaining because of my salt intake. However, I do get scared of losing weight too fast. I am nervous about having excess hanging skin. Anyone else have this fear? I understand that health is more important, but I am 27 and would like to feel attractive. Any suggestions that have worked for you?

Congrats on your amazing results so far, great job! Weight loss tapers off after the first couple of weeks, so you can expect to average 1-2# a week (some weeks less, some weeks more) after that initial surge. Don't worry too much about sagging skin either, that actually has more to do with genetics than anything else. You're young, so you may just bounce back. Keep active, it can be a problem for some people if you are sedentary throughout your weight loss but if you're active with both a cardio and strengthening program I really don't think you'll have anything to worry about. :wink:

• ChrisRendon1128
    ChrisRendon1128 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    kah68 wrote: »

Congrats on your amazing results so far, great job! Weight loss tapers off after the first couple of weeks, so you can expect to average 1-2# a week (some weeks less, some weeks more) after that initial surge. Don't worry too much about sagging skin either, that actually has more to do with genetics than anything else. You're young, so you may just bounce back. Keep active, it can be a problem for some people if you are sedentary throughout your weight loss but if you're active with both a cardio and strengthening program I really don't think you'll have anything to worry about. :wink:

Thank you very much! That is one thing I definitely need to improve on.. I am a secretary so my job is very sedentary. I need to find time to squeeze in some exercise. I know it's doable, it's just hard because I'm working full time and I have 2 small kids and I am going to school online.. But I can do this. Thank you for the encouraging words!
  • kah68
    Options
    kah68 wrote: »

Thank you very much! That is one thing I definitely need to improve on.. I am a secretary so my job is very sedentary. I need to find time to squeeze in some exercise. I know it's doable, it's just hard because I'm working full time and I have 2 small kids and I am going to school online.. But I can do this. Thank you for the encouraging words!

I hear ya, I'm an accountant so I'm a desk jockey--I do try and get up every hour though. Luckily my company is spread out into several different buildings, so I have to walk a fair distance to the bathroom or to check my mail. Even taking a few short 15-minute walks throughout the day is beneficial. Its harder to get in that workout when you have two little ones (unless you can take them with you), though. You can do this!
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Coffee Day!
    Today is National Coffee Day! Are you one of the millions who will celebrate? Start by sending a free Coffee Day eCard and then find out where you can go to get a free cup of joe. There are number of local and national businesses offering free or discounted cups of coffee to celebrate Coffee Day 2015.
    Some of the National Coffee Day deals include: Stop by any participating McDonald’s for a free small McCafé. Krispy Kreme is giving away a free original glazed donut and a small coffee. At participating Dunkin’ Donuts you can get a free medium hot or iced dark roast coffee, one per customer.
    So, where did coffee come from and how did it become so popular? According to legend, a sixth-century Ethiopian goatherd named Kaldi discovered his goats frolicking from one coffee shrub to another. He realized the coffee berries had a stimulating effect, and he began to experiment with the seeds. A century later, brewed coffee emerged in Arabia and the popularity of coffee grew at an exponential rate.
    Today, over 400 billion cups of coffee are consumed each year. It is a world commodity that is second only to oil. Don't forget to take a coffee break (or two) to celebrate this historical and important beverage!

By the way, I'm wearing the smile you gave me. ~Author Unknown

11857432.png

Tom
  • kah68
    Options
    Morgori wrote: »
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Coffee Day!
    Today is National Coffee Day! Are you one of the millions who will celebrate? Start by sending a free Coffee Day eCard and then find out where you can go to get a free cup of joe. There are number of local and national businesses offering free or discounted cups of coffee to celebrate Coffee Day 2015.
    Some of the National Coffee Day deals include: Stop by any participating McDonald’s for a free small McCafé. Krispy Kreme is giving away a free original glazed donut and a small coffee. At participating Dunkin’ Donuts you can get a free medium hot or iced dark roast coffee, one per customer.
    So, where did coffee come from and how did it become so popular? According to legend, a sixth-century Ethiopian goatherd named Kaldi discovered his goats frolicking from one coffee shrub to another. He realized the coffee berries had a stimulating effect, and he began to experiment with the seeds. A century later, brewed coffee emerged in Arabia and the popularity of coffee grew at an exponential rate.
    Today, over 400 billion cups of coffee are consumed each year. It is a world commodity that is second only to oil. Don't forget to take a coffee break (or two) to celebrate this historical and important beverage!

By the way, I'm wearing the smile you gave me. ~Author Unknown

11857432.png

Tom

My favorite day of the year! :love: :lol:

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @Newcomers - welcome to each and every one of you. The other have welcomed you with great individual advice so I don't have to repeat anything. I'll just add a bit of long-term encouragement. Don't be so gung-ho that a failure makes you want to quit, failures happen and you must laugh them off and share them here :) we have all had our share of failures.

I'm unfortunately gained back 65 lbs due to a row of illnessess, but now on the mend, and I hope the weight will be my next item to tackle. I am one of those people who must apply 100% of their attention to one thing at a time, getting my strength back is my highest priority now, the weight comes next.

While Lori was here, I saw in person how she had conquered her weight and activity problems - she is in SUPERIOR shape and I had a ball watching her run circles around me. I had to apologize to her for our zoo - so much was under construction and many animals were not available to see.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    This cold, two steps forward, one step back... today was a step back. Guys went out for Dairy Queen and I didn't even care, I guess that is a silver lining... sort of... bah humbug.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Wednesday Wish ... wow! I'm writing on the message board for a second day in a row! ... I remember when I first started using this thread that I wrote on it every day ... I was so gung ho on my newest attempt at weight loss. A year later, not so much as things not only slowed up after the 4th month but have been pretty mush status quo for the past 8 ... weight wise. However, I degress!

My Wednesday Wish is that I take to heart the thoughts that went through my mind as I was drifting off to sleep last night ... about not following in my younger brother's foosteps. He lost his life because he could'nt or wouldn't make the changes needed to control his weight, his activity level, his diabetes. I miss him every day and know he died too young because he was still in his 50's. I'm 70 and know that if I want to live to see my granddaughter finish growing up and get started on an individual adult life that I need to take better care of myself. Weight loss is one side of the cube ... The other sides have labels on them also, and I need to be paying better attendtion to them as well.

follow-through
    Niki
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Women's Health & Fitness Day!

National Women's Health & Fitness Day

Whenever you fall, pick something up. ~Oswald Avery

11857432.png

Tom
  • DSnutz
    DSnutz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @DSnutz I went on a 21 day program once and all I felt was deprived and I was underwhelmed by the results.
    Pretty much a summary of my feelings about it too. The only thing positive I had to say about it was that I got more fruit and veggies into my diet during that time.
  • DSnutz
    Options
    Caketina wrote: »
    Hi I've been a member of MFP for quite awhile but haven't taken it very seriously. I still have over 200Lbs to lose to get to my goal weight. I've been pretty stagnant. I look at the amount of weight I have to lose and feel overwhelmed. I know I shouldn't focus on the huge number I have to lose but it's difficult. I have trouble with motivating myself to exercise. I haven't been to my gym in over two weeks. I also eat so terribly. I binge everyday as I am an emotional eater. I keep telling myself I will start "tomorrow". I've never posted on this message board before so I thought maybe having the support of others with similar struggles would be helpful. I have several friends who are overweight but I am the only super morbidly obese person. Any support or encouragement would be helpful. Sorry for the long rant. Thanks
    I'm new to the forum as well, and I'm always looking for support. I'm here if you ever want to chat.

I know the feeling of having so much weight to lose. Sometimes I wonder how the heck I got here, and then I remind myself I have been an emotional eater who has binged frequently.

I'm starting out with a goal of 10% of my body weight lost. Once I hit that, I'll figure out what 10% off that weight looks like and set that as my next goal. It's a bit daunting when a 10% goal for me is someone's entire weight loss goal. But I'm trying not to compare myself to others.

What worked for me in the past was setting little non-food rewards for myself every 10 pounds lost. Nowhere near 10% of my body weight lost, but it helped me stay motivated, since those rewards came a bit more frequently.

I hope you find something that works well for you. Don't wait until tomorrow when you have a slip up. Start right then. I've found that to be helpful, and an exercise session can really turn my day around.

You can do it!
  • DSnutz
    Options
    Okay, now that I've caught up on what I missed the past several days, I figure I should check in. My parents are in town, and I have gained like 3 pounds since they arrived. Yikes! My husband and I did our workout on Saturday before they arrived, but we didn't do another one until yesterday. I got a UP2 fitness tracker on Friday, and I'm pretty sure that it is not correctly calculating my steps or calorie burn, because when I have tracked my food using the adjustments from there, it seems quite high. So I think I'm just going to ignore those adjustments and stick with what MFP says I need to burn. My folks leave tomorrow, so we won't be eating out as much, and I'm sure that will help a ton. But I'm still going to try to fit in some exercise time today.

I appreciate all the support I've already received from this community. It has been helpful to keep me accountable and make me feel like I'm not alone, since I have so much more to lose than my husband does. You all are awesome.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    hello everyone. Well hubby got home today so it is a good day. Just got home from the trainer while hubby is taking a nap. I think I am going to be very sore later tonight and tomorrow. We did a shoulder workout today which was fine but then at the end he says not to do this in a row with chest and triceps which is what I did yesterday. His face when I told him that was kinda funny and he said to make sure I keep stretching frequently because odds are my shoulders and chest are going to get sore. Oh the joys of working out. My food has been pretty good so far this week so hopefully I can keep that up. So lets see my Wednesday wish is that my daughter can do as well with the help of MFP as I have. She just recently joined. She gained quite a bit of weight the last couple of years while dealing with a bunch of health issues. Now she is trying to take it off because her and her boyfriend are hoping to have a baby in the next couple of years. Well I need to try and find a recipie. I want to try my hand at making some homemade tomato soup to use some of my gazillion tomatoes from the garden. Have a great day everyone :)
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Hello All.
    @jtconst - Woot on having hubby home. Enjoy your time together. There are loads of really good recipes for tomato based soups on foodtv.com.
    @Morgori - Love the fitness day. Although I did not get in a workout today. I generally try to get in 3 to 5 a week plus at least 3 hours of cardio.
    @Nikion901 - I too am struggling to get back my motivation.

AFM - I am once again on the road. Staying in North Platte, Nebraska tonight. I decided to head out after the training ended today and get a head start on the trip back. I am planning on stopping by Ellen's again tomorrow. I found a little 50's style road side motel for $50.00. Basic but clean. At least they have wifi.
    My eating has been horrible this week and weigh in next week will reflect that. I think I am about 5 pounds above my ticker. I am giving myself the weekend to get back on track.
    The trainer has signed me up for the Fall Fitness Challenge. Last year I came in second with a 35.5 pound weight loss in 10 weeks or 15% of my body weight. At 15% now it would mean losing about 27 pounds before Christmas. That would not be healthy. I do need to find some motivation. I am backsliding too far and I need to get a handle on it.
    Today I am grateful that I am able to take these road trips and see so much beautiful country.
    My challenge today is making time to take care of myself.

Love to all,
    Lori <3

Enthusiasm is the most important thing in life. ~ Tennessee Williams