Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Sutts2014
    Sutts2014 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. I've just restarted my weight loss journey and am trying to be low carb. It's great to have a place to share. Good luck!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Wow--lots of new people checking in today. Welcome to all of you!

@terri-- I also didn't eat as well as I could have this weekend. I used the 5k on Saturday to eat way more than I normally do. Plus DH is also sick now, so he didn't feel like cooking Saturday and brought home Chinese take away instead. I love it, but it's got so much sodium! I did better today due to cooking some fish for lunch for the week.

@reba-- I am a teacher as are a few others regulars on the thread (current and retired). I teach HS English Lit. What did you teach?

@kaye-- it sounds like things are looking up for the DH with his PT. That's so great. I also loved the quote you shared--I need to remember that as well.

@niki-- glad your swelling is down. It sounds like you have a solid plan for the week.

@susan-- glad Cyrus' team won; at least you didn't sit in the rain in vain. I love your attitude about the hair--I feel exactly the same way. Besides, I bet you look adorable with your curly Shirley Temple 'do. :wink:

@kelley-- I can't believe it's only a bit more than a week until your tendon surgery. I hope you heal up enough to come join us in April, even if it's just to spectate.

@barney-- that's amazing progress on your A1C!! I don't have high blood sugar, but I need to follow your lead and start logging more religiously. Being sick and not exercising has sapped my motivation, but I need to stop with that excuse. Thanks for being a good role model!

@liz-- Welcome back!!!! :smiley:

@lori-- you are such an inspiration! I can't wait to meet you next spring.

I'm a day late, but since there are so many newlings, I'll post Sunday Share:

I'm Karen, a HS English Lit teacher from Chicago. I'm married to a wonderful husband and have one fur-kid, my 9 1/2 year old boxer/shepherd mix, Gunner. I started on MFP in March of 2011 and joined this thread July 2011. Since starting MFP I've lost about 60 lbs, but have stalled out in the mid 180s for the past couple of years. I'm struggling to really get back into serious weight loss mode. I love to run and had started lifting a couple of years ago, but about a year ago I injured my shoulder. It's been a long road to recovery, but I feel it's finally at a point where I can return to lifting. Of course, now I've been dealing with bronchitis for the past month. It's starting to clear up, and the 5k on Saturday proved I can still work out while I'm sick, so I will head back to the gym this week.

Today I got a lot of planning done for my Junior Honors class. It's also my year to be evaluated by my boss (tenured teachers get a formal eval every 2 years). She observed one of my AP classes on Friday, so I had to complete a post-observation reflection prior to meeting with her for feedback tomorrow.

Almost all caught up on the grading! :)

Grading Goals:
    1. x/10 AP analysis activities
    2. x/5 essay revisions
    3. x/41 AP journals

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- rest day
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
    Sun-- walk gunner + gym
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My Monday check-in:
    Weight today: 252.2
    Weight lost since previous weekly check-in (9/28/2015): 3.2 pounds (only aiming for 2 pounds/week).
    I'm still trying to transition from 2 meals/day to 3 meals/day but only managed that for 4 of the last 7 days.
    I'm still trying to exercise every other day but only managed that once during the last 7 days.
    I'm still keeping my 2-hour post-meal blood sugars under good control (under 132 mg/dL) for the last 7 days.

• lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Its 4:43 AM. Been up since 4. My normal up is between 5-5:30. But my lovely doggie Bella had other ideas. Oh well I am enjoying the quietness in my home right now.

Thank you everyone for the lovely welcome back.

Wasn't feeling great last night fell asleep on the recliner than got up and got few things ready for today. Went straight to bed. Not a very productive evening. :

Monday: past week things went ok. I am trying to measure everything. I need to relearn normal serving sizes. We eat so much process foods lot because of budget before DH started back to work we take any food given which was lot of process stuff. Couldn't afford to say no. Still coming out of that but finally starting to be able to buy fresh veggies and fruit.

Goal is to start buying better quality foods less process.
    Keep logging in recording everything I eat and drink.
    Get moving more
    Drink water more
    Looking for healthy crockpot recipes / freezer meals too. Hard after working all day to deal with cooking.
    So this would help lessen the fast food temptations.
    Keep grateful!!

• lizmil79
    Options
    Hit post before I said

Wishing you all a lovely day,
    Liz
    Caldwell, Idaho
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Garlic Lovers Day
    October 6, 2015 Did you know how healthy garlic is for you? Garlic is an ancient traditional medicine that has antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. Learn how to include garlic into your daily recipes. Grate some garlic into your salad dressing or vegetables. Put some garlic in all your soups and casseroles. Eat more garlic for an immune boost. There are even garlic capsules if you want to add some additional garlic to your diet.

He who has so little knowledge of human nature as to seek happiness by changing anything but his own disposition will waste his life in fruitless efforts. ~Samuel Johnson

11857432.png

Tom
  • DSnutz
    DSnutz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I figured I should check in to keep myself accountable. We had friends over all day/night on Sunday, and so I didn't stick within my calorie range, but I was grateful that I managed to get some time in on the stationary bike while they were here, because it was better than nothing! I'm having some work challenges and found myself so stressed out I started crying on Friday. My husband helped me talk through some of that, which was a big improvement from my go-to stress eating response. My diet was so-so yesterday, but I've eaten better today and got a workout in. I have to put on a party for my second job in direct marketing tonight, but my hostess is a Shakeology coach, so I don't think I'll have to worry too much about junk food while I'm there. Thank goodness!
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Love todays day Tom :) I put garlic in almost everything lol
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hi!
    I ended up going out for drinks with a friend after work, so no walk with gunner, but I logged everything today and was very close to goal despite no exercise.

Grading Goals:
    2. 5/5 essay revisions DONE
    3. 2/41 AP journals

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- rest day
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
    Sun-- walk gunner + gym
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @Lizmil - Liz welcome back - I sure do remember you. Glad you've got some time to pay attention to yourself. Sounds like your old situation - you were putting yourself on the back burner then as well. o:)
    Great that you have a chance now to get more fruits and veggies - if fresh are still too expensive, frozen are considered equal to fresh in quality and vitamins.

@Skinny - I can't believe its been a whole year since you injured your shoulder - those kinds of injuries really do take a long time to heal! Glad your back in the action! :)

@Rebamae - nice to meet you - I'm one state away - I'm in Omaha - And I am so envious of your current weight! Your story is sad, however, and I'm sure, that car accident was terribly traumatic. You sound very strong and brave. Your stomach disease too - how fortunate that the Paleo diet is helping you so well. That is a great diet I've found for myself - although I do need to add some veggies to help the plumbing function.
    Hope you come back often, Reba.

@DeeWert = OK - what the rest of the story? I gotta know how much furniture did you move, what kind and where? I'm a HGTV junkie - I want the whole picture :D

@Barney - ooh, 2 meals a day - gosh, you were strong, and now you're finding 3 meals a day hard to do? omg I have to have some kind of protein about 5 times a day or a get all floppy....
    people sure are different, but then again, I'm not diabetic....

@Sutts2014 I'm glad you're enjoying it here - <3

@DSnutz - you sound so busy with 2 jobs and party planning and a home et. al, you are sure to have stress squeeze out - was it at work or after? :'( I've cried at work, and just told the person with me angrily "oh just get over it" and I got back to the business at hand. that kind of startled them. Kinda funny now that I look back at it. But they did and I did. Glad your DH helped. Good for not stress eating. Good for getting a work out in. Don't sweat any thing else. its a long journey. You're doing great. You weren't born perfect and you can't be perfect can you?

re; the excess skin debate: and @Lori - listen congrats on your AA attendance! Also I want everyone to know you looked gorgeous - tiny,looking small clothing, legs, arms, waist, etc. I saw no evidence of excess skin at all and you wore short sleeves and a short skirt. Arms and legs looked somewhat sculpted with muscles, nothing hung at all. Sheesh. You described yourself poorly!!!
    AFM: Have some worries on my mind. Should be over by thurs or Fri. About a friend. Sun. evening will be 95th Birthday party for my StepMom. How super that is!
  • mou_254
    mou_254 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    hello everybody.. I'm not exactly new and was an active member at mfp 2 years ago. But, after that college became too busy and i just kind of lost focus on the fitness thing. Now that I'm in the final year at college, i figured that it's high time i returned. The greatest motivation was the community support here. That is what i returned here for.

So,today is my first day and I guess it's Wish day,so here's mine:
    I wish to be healthy and happy. Simple wish! :wink:

Looking forward to being sucked back in by the mfp community! :smile:
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was rough. My boss was fuming rightfully so. He’s got another department head trying to put him and our department under the bus. They wanted something in stores by end of October, but we were never told that date just for holiday, which is Nov/Dec. This is what I was planning and it’s on track for mid-November. I searched 20+ e-mails and nowhere does it state October, but just for holiday. I will NOT let them bring us down. Grrrrrrr!!! As far as eating/exercise, it’s OK. Nothing special or spectacular. Just trying to handle day-by-day by eating right and trying to move.

@Niki – Thanks. I’m not sure to be honest about my friend Greg. A few years ago he had surgery for his heart so I think he’s sensitive to things, but this was new for him and definitely never expected this type of reaction by coughing so bad. He decided to move out of the rental property just to be safe. He’s going to have to be very careful going forward.

@Grandmakaye – I’m glad things are going well for you and DH. I think it’s great you’re going to visit your sister. It will definitely be good for her spirits and yours too.

@Rebamae – Welcome!! Thanks for the introduction. I have my degree in education too, but not teaching. I somehow evolved into the business realm and stayed there, but always support our teachers 100%. I’m so sorry to hear about the accident though. I can’t even imagine, but glad you’re still with us. I followed Paleo for awhile and still do to some extent, but not 100%. Congrats on your loss so far, which is awesome! You can do this. One day at a time. This group is awesome for support. If you can check in daily or every other day, these wonderful people will help you in all aspects of life. We’re MFP’s hidden secret.

@DeeWert – Welcome to the thread! Totally agree about moving. Between the squatting, lifting, pushing, etc. . . it’s quite a workout, which I’ll still pay someone to do. LOL!!!

@Terri70 – I totally understand. Once your body gets use to not eating crap than you binge or start eating poorly again your body can really react. Last week was a bit off, but I’m back on track this week. I’m starting to feel better – thank goodness!!

@Skinnyjeanz – Thanks Karen! There’s so much going on in this crazy world around us. My college roommate who just found out she has breast cancer also lives in Columbia, SC with the flooding. Thank goodness her and her family are OK, but many of the student’s families are not. Again, I have so much to be thankful for and could care less about my hair. Love me for me not whether I have a mane full of hair. LOL!!! Also, you have nothing to worry about with your evaluation. While I haven’t seen you teach, I know the passion you have for it and just the way you talk about your students, they’re lucky to have you!!

@lizmil79 – Liz, you’re doing great! Baby steps. Your goal list is right on target. You know what you need to do and you’re doing it. Glad to see your back!!

@Morgori – Love me some garlic – yum!!!! Hope you and Ms. Amy are doing well!!
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Kale Day!
    Started in October of 2012, National Kale Day exists to celebrate the nutritional benefits of and different ways to cook and prepare kale. National Kale Day is a registered 501c3-not-for-profit organization.
    Facts & Trivia
    • Kale might become the new state vegetable of Vermont.
    • According to Green Heritage News, “Angelina Jolie, Woody Harrelson, and Gwyneth Paltrow are just a few stars on the silver screen who eat kale to not only feel better, but to maintain the sleek physiques they require for days on the set. Celebrities Katy Perry and Jessica Alba also claim a love for the leafy green vegetable.”
    • There are over 50 varieties of kale, and there happens to be 50 Shades of Kale as well.
    • There is an extremely tall variety of kale called “Jersey kale” or “cow cabbage.”
    • America plants more acres in Kale than Brussels Sprouts.
    • Kale might have saved people from starving in the UK during World War II because it’s easy to grow and hearty.
    • Lacinato Kale is known by many, many aliases including Cavolo nero (which means black cabbage in Italian), Tuscan Cabbage, Tuscan Kale, and dinosaur or dino kale.
    • A kale plant continues to produce late into winter.
    • After a frost, kale becomes sweeter.
    • Ecocentric says that Thomas Jefferson was onto the kale craze way before us, he experimented with several varieties of kale at his garden in early 1800s.
    • Kale is an amazing source of carotenoids, which are linked to one’s level of optimism.
    • Kale is grown around the world.
    • In Kenya, sautéed kale is called sukuma wiki and a staple of the diet.
    • Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish of kale and mashed potatoes.
    • Kale has been in cultivation for over 6000 years.

National Kale Day ----LINK

11857432.png

Tom
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Good Morning.

@Tom~ Loved yesterday's quote.

@Susan~ Are u moving too or just your friend Greg? I'm glad you're there for him while he works thru his health issues & move.

@Karen~ We need those nights out every once in a while. Glad your shoulder is better & feels well enough to return to weight lifting, amazing how long it can take to recover from injuries sometimes. :astonished:

AFM~ Sitting at home this morning while plumber repairs my a/c plumbing. Then doc this afternoon for pre-op tests/clearance. Been nice last few days but 90s return today. :sweat:
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    @Morgori - I've wondered the last couple of years where this Kale frenzy got started - so thanks for the info. I hope Kale goes away, just my opinion of course, but its not my favorite thing.

@Susan - I hate it when Dept. Heads fight dirty. It can get really bad! >:) stay low and out of the radar! You're doing a terrific job, Susan. Those horrific rains in the area are shocking!!! Now that the water is draining off, its showing even worse things. Evening news made me cry...

@Mou_254 - Welcome! So, what are you focusing on first - calories, exercise? What did you focus on in college? Like your picture as well! Hope to see you more.

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Wednesday Wish ... well, after reading @Morgori comments on Kale, I wish I liked it. My go-to greens has always been spinach, and I also like Swiss Chard. The only Kale I ever saw was those pretty decorative heads that people planted in their yards ... or was that some other plant? ..

...Joking! ...

while I do want to like Kale, my true Wednesday Wish is that I keep up the momento I started with getting my chores done. I procrastinated until the last minute, as is common for procratinators, but now I am on a role. I move so slowly and rest so often that what might have taken me a couple of hours in the past is now an all day proposition ... Today my goal is to finish the declutter in the front hall.

Today is TV night for me, so I am looking forward to a bowl of popcorn ... I make it on the stove using 1 T of oil in the pot ... just love the Boy Scouts popcorn kernels.

Keep on working your plan everyone ... it's the forward motion, no matter how small, that moves us onward. ...
    like @grandmakay44 says ... 'onward and downward'

Follow-through
    Niki
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hi guys!
    Sounds like everyone is doing good. Just a quick drive by to check in.

Wed Wish:
    My wish is that this cold continues to clear up, and that I find my motivation to get back to the gym. I did walk gunner today, but opted to go grade rather than work out.

Grading Goals:
    2. 15/41 AP journals

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- rest day
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
    Sun-- walk gunner + gym
  • lizmil79
    Options
    Good Evening,

So cool seeing names I recognized very encouraging as I was playing catch up reading posts and great seeing new names.

I am still not very computer savvy when trying to reply to posts. I know someone in past told me about a split screen thing. I just can't pull that off. But I can use a pen and paper and take notes. I will get better and do that.

My goals are what I put. Tuesday.

Wednesday. Weight dream is to get under 200 lbs right now its to get to 250.

The other is to find a new job.

Today was fun but I am really tired again. I have an in service tomorrow it starts an hour early. So heading to bed.

Thank you,

Liz
    Caldwell, Idaho
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    Susan - your man is so lucky to have you looking out for him. I didn't notice earlier the fact he'd had earlier heart surgery and that coughing had irritated this! If he'd been coughing really bad, does he practice coughing holding a pillow to his chest to protect that incision area? He always should do it any time he has a coughing spell. It really aids those chest muscles. Pressing inward on the pillow as he's coughing reduces the stress. I'm sure you and he already know this but I just had to say in case. <3

@Skinny - did you get your Reflection done regarding your tenure review? And did you have your review, wasn't that to be Weds? I'm sure life got too busy...

@Kelley (Kah) I remember you saying you'd be off work about 2 weeks, but I don't remember how long you'd be in the hospital - is this an overnite thing since its on a Friday? I remember he offered you some lousy dates! (and we've ALL had those! B)

@Niki - glad to hear you kept up your activity and you're ending up with a cleaner home as a result. I've been working on all my closets as well, but come Friday I will find out what I will be adding to my domicile as I'll be joining my step-sister as we go thru the last of my step-mom's furniture to get the home ready for sale. I hope to get a nice chest of drawers. Storage is grand!

AFM- Weds Wish came true: I sat at with a friend today for 3 hours waiting for the phone to ring. Finally she called her doctor's office. The nurse looked for the information - "All biopsies are back and they are all benign," the nurse said over the phone to my friend! Hallelujah!! We dance and hugged. It was so worriesome - these were masses in her liver. She's a tee-totaler, but said, "tonight I just might have some wine with my husband! "

• tinkie_04
    tinkie_04 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Christina. I'm a 29-year-old social media specialist, and I've struggled with my wright since I was diagnosed with PCOS 15 years ago. But enough is enough. I'm 280 lbs, and my wish is to be below 200lb by my 30th birthday in early May. I'm determined to make this happen.

I started working out (again) two and a half weeks ago (yep, that half is important). I have committed to a 2-mile walk with my fur-baby twice a day and a gym/class workout three times a week. So far, so good. I just seem to be tired during the work day. Not sleepy. Just tired. But I'm "on program," as my boss calls it.

The best part of my day is hitting the "Complete my entry" on MFP, and it tells me I'm on track to lose 20-30 lbs in the next five weeks. I'd be happy with 15 ;)