Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @ChrisRendon - when I was in a chair for long stretches, on of my favorites exercises was to do butt squeezes while seated. I'd wear a little smile, and always wonder when someone would catch on - but no one ever did - or at least no one ever said anything! And, those exercises @Kah suggested are great! It is proven that one burst of exercise will continue to burn calories even after you sit down, so its well worth it to put in a 5 or 10 minute walk 3 times a day.

@MissYatta - Kenyatta - go ahead and send me a friend request - but I only hang out here - rarely on the feed so I will give you praise and suggestions right here, OK? Since you are like the majority here with lots of weight to lose, much of the advice here is specific for your needs.

@BarneyRubbleMD - Glad you read thru the intro. Most people don't! We have more men here, but they drop in less often. Morgori - he of the daily Factoids, is a constant. And a success story!

All you newbies - work on your walking and running skills. There is a 5K in Chicago that a few of us are attending on April 2-3, 2016 and you are invited. More information will be posted as we get near the date. It will be fun to meet each other in the real world.

@jtconst , @angelika, @Morgori, @nikion, @DSnutz, I've read your posts and salute your efforts! Sorry Angelika for your continued misery - that's so tiresome! jt - I have a sore shoulder just from trying to do a plank in PT so I sympathise, and Niki, yes get a move on - diabetes hasn't caught you yet, but if you truly fear it, either you have a death wish, or believe you're invincible. Stop kidding yourself. I need to stop kidding myself too. I think the weight will just disappear one day. But I know I have to give up a long list of items I keep buying at the grocers. I have only given up a few items, and thats not enough!
    DSnutz - I think you are doing so well as far as participating here - you've got it down pat, my lady! Keep it up!

@CBlue - Lori - hey - you're coming home early - and your welcome - Thursday is fine. I'll be here and I just did the grocery shopping. I am afraid I helped you gain some of that weight when we went to Big Fred's pizza - wasn't that delicious? Heck you're only going to be in Omaha rarely and that is one traditional Omaha stop.
    Can't wait to chat some more. But I got called in to work on Sat and Sun 8 - 12. You might be going to Lauritzen Gardens on your own!

Oh - I bought some of those Hen-in-the Woods Mushrooms and plan on making something with them - maybe spaghetti with Alfredo sauce with the mushrooms sauteed and then added to the sauce? Are you game, Lori?

Hugs to all!
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    @jtconst Wow! Great work!

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth ... another weird sleep night, up about 5 AM again, so here it is 6:30 AM and I am ready to record my stats for September. Check-in is Monday, but I update my MFP stats on the first of the month. I got dressed before I weighed in, but it doesn't matter because I have not lost any weight this month I also didn't complete a lot of the goals I had set for myself. However I choose to be positive about today ... it is the first day of the first month of autumn of the last quarter of the year and it was a successful quarter for me last year. Perhaps this month I will get my groove back, God willing and my inaction being replaced by motion.

@jtconst … Have you ever tried roasting the tomatoes before making soup? I have a couple of recipes collected over the years if you would like to try and need one. Good that your daughter is trying now, hope she realizes that what she does now to get her weight under control is something she will have to keep at for the rest of her life cause weight will creep back on if she strays too far.

@Clbue315 ... you've had a lot of reasons lately why your motivation might be off. Glad the travel has been a positive experience for you.

@RobinsEgg ... thanks for the 'tough love'. I'm not kidding myself, and I already have diabetes ... I was the last of my mom's 3 children to be diagnosed with the disease and have struggled wit hit for 12 years now. The foods I eat can control the high glucose spikes if I just stay away from all sugar additives and starchy carbs (especially in the evening). My bigger health faults are not as easily controlled, are also progressive, and inter-related to some degree.

Wish I had inherited or learned my father's 'iron will' instead of my mom's more easy-going nature. When he made up his mind about something, he 'stuck to his guns'. I could use a bit more of that!

Here’s to looking forward to a better today and October. My goals remain the same: get myself and my surroundings in order; cook more of my main meals than I have prepared for me; move about much more; stay positive. Weight wise, drop 5 pounds.

Follow-through
    Niki
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ok. I TOTALLY went off plan yesterday. Couldn't even act like I was on plan! I know why too! I am sooooo frustrated with not losing weight that it's not funny. I'm on Nutrisystem and before anyone says anything about that know that I'm on it for convenience and because I know that it works for me. Well when I stay on it that is. lol I'm just frustrated because I lose a lb then gain a lb and it's been like this for a month or so now. What do you do to keep motivated when you're in a stall? Any suggestions?
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy International Day of Older Persons!
    The theme of the 2015 commemoration is “Sustainability and Age Inclusiveness in the Urban Environment”.
    International Day of Older Persons

Tough and funny and a little bit kind: that is as near to perfection as a human being can be. ~Mignon McLaughlin

11857432.png

Tom
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Finally down to less than 100 pounds to lose (i.e. 97.6 pounds to goal) & kept my post-meal blood sugar measurements under 140 mg/dL for the entire month of September (i.e. I'm a type 2 diabetic)--I never thought I'd see those #'s again!
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Way to go BarneyRubble. I have type 2 and no longer have to take Metformin after losing some weight, my A1C has been under 6 too. That is great news, keep up the good work!
  • DSnutz
    DSnutz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Terri70 wrote: »
    Ok. I TOTALLY went off plan yesterday. Couldn't even act like I was on plan! I know why too! I am sooooo frustrated with not losing weight that it's not funny. I'm on Nutrisystem and before anyone says anything about that know that I'm on it for convenience and because I know that it works for me. Well when I stay on it that is. lol I'm just frustrated because I lose a lb then gain a lb and it's been like this for a month or so now. What do you do to keep motivated when you're in a stall? Any suggestions?

I'm not going to say anything negative about Nutrisystem other than I tried it and didn't like the taste. Of course, that was years ago. Does it taste decent now? I really like convenience foods and am always willing to consider healthier options.

When I'm not losing weight, I do sometimes lose motivation. Recently, I went shopping and fit into a smaller pants size, so I knew that even though the weight wasn't coming off, I must have been losing inches. So now I try to do semi-regular measurements to see how I'm doing there compared to in the past. Even looking at where I'm buckling my belt compared to the past helps.

Another thing that might be helpful for you and has been for me is changing up my exercise. Doing something different in that regard helps different muscle groups get used differently than normal.

• DSnutz
    DSnutz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My parents headed home today. I went into work yesterday for a shortened day, and I noticed I drank more water than I think I had while they were here. My scale was down a pound today from yesterday, so I guess adding back more water helped. I'm planning on working a lot this weekend, which doesn't excite me, but I need to catch up from time I missed while they were in town. I also need to bust my but with more exercise and better nutrition. I think I'm going to get in two exercises today, too.
  • ChrisRendon1128
    ChrisRendon1128 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Finally down to less than 100 pounds to lose (i.e. 97.6 pounds to goal) & kept my post-meal blood sugar measurements under 140 mg/dL for the entire month of September (i.e. I'm a type 2 diabetic)--I never thought I'd see those #'s again!

Congratulations!! That is an amazing accomplishment!
  • ChrisRendon1128
    ChrisRendon1128 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    RobinsEgg wrote: »
    @ChrisRendon - when I was in a chair for long stretches, on of my favorites exercises was to do butt squeezes while seated. I'd wear a little smile, and always wonder when someone would catch on - but no one ever did - or at least no one ever said anything! And, those exercises @Kah suggested are great! It is proven that one burst of exercise will continue to burn calories even after you sit down, so its well worth it to put in a 5 or 10 minute walk 3 times a day.

Thank you for the suggestions!! I will definitely try those butt squeezes lol..
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    @AngelikaLumiere - One thing that helped me a great deal in the past was to make motivation a top priority. Put post its, pictures or whatever you need every where. At work on the fridge, on the mirror, email them to yourself. If you are rreminded hourly it will help.
    I read a few of these most days when I need help:
    http://ifunny.co/fun/HYUXimWA3
    I would write one of these on my news feed to share with my mfpeeps.

AFM: I am back at Ellen's for the night. Heading back to Wisconsin tomorrow.
    I am determined to get back to basics. Eat right, log everything, exercise daily, drink 3 to 4 quarts of water daily. I have had success in the past and want to be there again.
    Today I am grateful for the beautiful plants and flowers in the world.
    Today's challenge - taking the time to journal and pay attention to what I am feeling.

Love to all,
    Lori <3

None but ourselves can free our minds. ~ Bob Marley
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Terri70~The nice thing about this forum is that no one here passes judgement, we all have a common goal but we have different ways of going about it. We all have to find what works for us, if Nutrisystem is that program good for you for finding something that works. I've been down the Jenny Craig road a time or two and it just wasn't for me, I've found Weight Watchers (and eating clean) to be the type of program that works best for me--I like the camaraderie and the accountability. Motivation is hard, especially when we've reached a lull in our weight loss--that's a true testament to your commitment. :wink: I know I have a really hard time with motivation when I'm bored with food--I know you eat mostly food from Nutrisystem but if you pair other foods along with their meals, try some different recipes or a fruit/veggie you've never tried before. You might find something that you love. It helps to shake things up a bit.

@BarneyRubbleMD~Hooray for you, those blood sugar numbers are better than any number on the scale. Keep it up!

AFM~It has been a crazy week, work is nuts and there is still one more day to go. :grimace: Yesterday, while driving to work someone decided to follow too closely and rear-ended my new car (that I've had 3 months). :rage: More damage was done to his small car than my SUV though, as he went right underneath my back bumper which damaged my bumper and the exhaust. Everything has come together really well though with his insurance, they've already accepted liability so I take my car in tomorrow for an estimate. Hopefully they'll be able to start repairs next week and it won't take too long. :frowning:

Have a great night!

• cblue315
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @BarneyRubbleMD - Wowsa, I forgot to congratulate you on your numbers. You are a rock star!

@AngelikaLumiere - Gave you the wrong link. Sorry this is what I read.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10018613/what-are-some-of-your-favorite-motivational-quotes#latest

My excuse is I am on wifi and my computer is all wonky. Sometimes it is speedy and sometimes it take forever to do what I want. Does not give me an excuse for not proof reading my post.
    Love to all,
    Lori <3
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 The roll models in my life who lived long productive lives were not thin, but they were not overweight either. Getting to a healthy weight is important.
    @DSnutz The 21 day diet I did, did not allow fruit and I was so missing it by the end of three weeks.
    @cblue315 Motivation is so important. I have a list of things to remind myself when I want to cheat. I am in a challenge with my BFF, my joints need to get the weight off, I don't want to be an embarrassment to my children, etc. I have been down, not because of the dieting, but because of this cold that will not die.
    @Morgori Should be International Seasoned Citizens Day. I refuse to get oldler. Getting old is for wimps, but all the more reason to get this extra weight off my joints. Can't give my body any excuses to quit on me.
    @BarneyRubbleMD HURRAY FOR YOU! down to two digit numbers!
    And to All Y'ALL - DRINK YOUR WATER!

AFM I lost weight at my weekly weigh in. Next week I will have challenges for staying on track, but I have made plans for success. About a month ago I started planning all my meals for the week and it has really helped when I was too sick or tired to think about what to fix. I am planning to pack up all my meals for a road trip, because fast food stops will be a disaster.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hey all , been awhile since I posted but I want to congratulate those who have lost and those who are just getting back up from a fall! No matter where you are in your journey, determination, self-awareness, and courage are required to keep going, and I am proud of all of you for keeping at it no matter what.
    I could use your help and expertise. Because of DH's condition, I rarely get to cook - the smells from the food, the stove, the oven, and even the microwave make it difficult for him to breathe. Our place is very small so there's really no place for him to go to avoid it. We don't have an outdoor grille or I'd use that. Soooo, I need ideas for fresh raw foods that I can fix quickly, lots of them, so I don't get bored. This is for me, he can't or won't eat raw veggies so I still have that problem, but I need to be able to eat right or I'll end up eating unhealthy fast food.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Hi There. I rarely post here anymore, but do read other's postings. I want to ask a question here. I'm asking on this thread as it was set up for people who have a lot of weight to lose ie. 100 lbs. or more. I've lost close to 50 lbs. in the last 5 1/2 months. I'm not losing fast, but doing it slowly and safely. I'm very happy with that weight loss, but I'm not 1/2 way to my goal yet. I'm starting to notice that my body shape has changed a lot, most of it's good, but I'm worried about having excess skin when I reach goal. On tv anyone who goes on an extreme weight loss journey seems to end up with excess skin surgery. Is this true? I'm older, so my skin isn't going to 'snap back' as easily as when I was younger. I'm trying to combat this by working with weight machines and lifting very light weights (can't lift heavy) whenever I can. I'm not sedentary and want to get a good shape as I lose. Anyone with experience with this...I'd like to hear about it. I don't know anyone else in this situation. I want to do whatever I can to prevent having excess skin after I've lost the weight.
  • kah68
    Options
    @Melwillbehealthy~Someone brought up this subject a few days ago. There are a lot of factors that can cause excess skin after weight loss, a lot has to do with genetics but if you’ve lost weight at an excelled pace you can almost guarantee it. Something to bear in mind is that the people on Extreme Weight Loss or The Biggest Loser are losing ridiculous amounts of weight in an extremely short period of time, yes they are exercising but losing weight like that is both unhealthy and leads to loose skin (when I look at those contestants I think of their body as a balloon when you let the air out really quickly, they look deflated--they've lost weight so fast that their bodies haven't had time to adjust in such a short period of time). If you are losing weight at a healthy pace (i.e. average 1-2# per week) and are exercising (not just cardio but a good resistant/strength program) chances are it won’t be an issue. There is no way to know for sure, everyone responds differently—could be the result of genetics, how long you have been overweight and age.
  • kah68
    Options
    GOINSTD12 wrote: »
    Hey all , been awhile since I posted but I want to congratulate those who have lost and those who are just getting back up from a fall! No matter where you are in your journey, determination, self-awareness, and courage are required to keep going, and I am proud of all of you for keeping at it no matter what.
    I could use your help and expertise. Because of DH's condition, I rarely get to cook - the smells from the food, the stove, the oven, and even the microwave make it difficult for him to breathe. Our place is very small so there's really no place for him to go to avoid it. We don't have an outdoor grille or I'd use that. Soooo, I need ideas for fresh raw foods that I can fix quickly, lots of them, so I don't get bored. This is for me, he can't or won't eat raw veggies so I still have that problem, but I need to be able to eat right or I'll end up eating unhealthy fast food.

I wish I had some advice other than salads, but you can try googling "raw diet" and see what kind of results you get in return.
  • cblue315
    Options
    @Melwillbehealthy - I am down around 120 pounds. There is excess skin. Most of the time it is not noticible to anyone else. You are doing every thing you can to avoid it. I wear short sleeves and do not wear shorts or skirts more than a few inches above my knees. That covers the majority of it. The surgery is expensive. A gym friend had her upper arms done and it cost $6,000.00. I would not be able to manage even that. Nor would I want to. I have made peace with my skin and know it is all part of the journey this body has been on. As unattractive as excess skin is, it still looks better than 100 pounds of fat.
    Love to all,
    Lori <3

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein