Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    SaleemahR wrote: »
    Going shopping for a trip with my family! Going on a 16hr bus ride to Michigan!! My plan is to bring some carrots and dip, some boiled eggs, and I found a good recipe for granola bars. Thinking about bringing some fruit cups and rice cakes depending on how many calories is in each. Would love some feedback on whether you think it's a good idea, and whether I should omit or add anything. Unfortunately I won't be too active but I brought a fitbit so I can track the calories that I burn throughout the day.

I did a 24 hour bus trip once, and another time a 12 hour train ride. On both those trips I packed a small cooler, like the kind you put a six-pack of soda pop into, and put stuff in there along with a frozen ice pack and bottles of water to keep it cool. I too used hard boiled eggs as part of my food for the trip. Also, I made a couple of sandwiches at home and put them into zip bags and into the cooler ... salami and cheese with lettuce. A couple of small tomatoes and, because I like them, a couple of pickles. That way, the water bottles they kept the pack cool and slowly melted on the trip providing me with water. Then, I also made up a small package of stuff that didn't need to be kept cool ... like the fruit that @kah68 mentioned. For me, snack bars make me want to eat too many of them because they are too much like a cookie or a candy bar.

Have fun on your trip. Walk a lot doing that shopping!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    celtikgirl wrote: »
    All but one of the dresses now fit, one was too big, and I was able to find one that I really like for tomorrow! I do need to go find shoes, but at least I have a dress!

Oh, how great that must have felt with those dresses!

That's one thing I am looking forward to ... to fit back into the dress I work at my sons' wedding back in 1993. The real final size I want to wear no longer has any clothes in storage as I finally gave them all away thinking that by the time I ever got there that they would no longer be in fashion ... and now those fashions are making a come back!

• Nikion901
    Options
    @Robin Your description of my bathroom made me smile. We live in an old house that has been added onto and remodeled many times. It has been a project house since we bought it 35 years ago. The bathroom in question is actually 9'x5' with a very small window. In order to make room for the 5'x3' shower, we have had to move a part of a wall in our bedroom 8" and change a wall in the guest room on the other side of the bathroom. It is the "master bathroom", but nothing like the ones on HG TV. I hate the mess of painting so rolling really isn't any better than the rest of it. Some of my kids don't mind painting so maybe we can get a little help. I am excited about some new accessories and decorating.
    Onward and downward. Kaye

Now that's the kind of remodel I would love to undertake at my house. My bathroom is 5x7 so I cannot even fit a decent sized sink cabinet in there! ... It's definitely built for 1.
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »

Oh, how great that must have felt with those dresses!

I might have danced/twirled around the living room a few times with a stupid grin on m face.

I have never been "regular" sized. I went straight from kid's sizes to a woman's 14 somewhere around 6th grade. I lost some weight my senior year of high school and got down to 150-160, wore a size 12 or 14 for a few months either side of graduation, but then I went to college where I discovered my abiding love of beer and pizza. If I could get back to that place now, I would be happy. That was 30 years ago!

I'm currently fascinated by the possibility that I might soon be able to shop in some of those stores at the mall I've never entered because the only things they sell in my size are socks and earrings.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Just popping in real quick. Sorry I havent been very active this week. My cold turned into full fledged bronchitis so doing much of anything just sends me into coughing fits. I have been spending a lot of time lying down with my head over a vaporizer. Today was the first day I have left the house and just a couple short errands has left me completley tuckered. Luckily I work for my dad now so the one day I tried to say I was going to work he said if I showed up he would fire me until I was better lol. My sympathies for those who are dealing with losses right now and congrats for everyone trucking along and getting things done. Hopefully I will be able to get back to the gym next week sometime. My eating is fine but it really does take both for me to see any kind of real results. Take care all and I will ttyl. :):)
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    OH my goodness! I just had 15 posts to read and read every one of them. It is so nice to hear from all of you! Really nice.
    @celtikgirl Since your post is last I can still see it and comment. I chuckled about your comment at the end about only socks and earrings fitting in most stores. I know that feeling well; just never put it that way. I love it and will remember that....UNTIL it is no longer true.
    @Kaye We once had a house with a big shower and I absolutely loved it! Now the shower in this house is MUCH smaller. I KNOW that is going to be a great renovation when it is done....but I sure get it about WHEN as I am sure it can't be soon enough. I am sure getting rid of that stress will help you be on track here. Hang in there!
    @LaurieK Still sending love and prayers your way.
    @Karen I would love to have a friend like you, actually I probably do, but never had the need to be supported in that way fortunately.
    I know I missed many of you, but I can't remember exactly who said what. Personals always work better when I bring up a "word" document and then paste it back in here. I didn't do that this time.

AFM: I am having good days, then bad days. Half a day I am like gold then I "blow" it and eat anything that isn't nailed down. Doing okay so far today. It sort of has my weight stuck this week. There are things that are a bit stressful going on here that I won't be airing out here, but they sure aren't helping. My ankle is still sore so between that, the arthritis and the weather (northern Wisconsin) it is a bit tough to just "walk it off". Icy walks just terrify me, so I don't even walk to the mailbox unless the driveway is totally clean. (that said, we do have a treadmill, but climbing the stairs is not always easy either) Okay, maybe that is an excuse for being lazy.
    I guess I have ranted enough. I am a bit frustrated just now and on re-reading this it does seem to show. Sorry.

Thanks for being there!
    mountmary84
    barb
  • mountmary84
    Options
    PS I totally agree that keeping the protein up prevents the "hungries". I think that was a really good challenge this month, so thanks to whoever brought it up. I have been trying and on the days I meet the protein requirement I get into fewer problems. I always thought I got plenty of protein; little did I know that sometimes I was a wee bit short....never been short on carbs though oddly enough!
    Also, LaurieK mentioned earlier she is trying to get a salad in every day. I think that is another really good thing. I so often get so involved I don't quite get a salad made and then wind up eating more and too much of everything else.

Okay, I will be quiet now.
    Barb
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone-
    I just caught up on 30 posts I missed while away for 2 days. No personals tonight, but I did want to welcome the newlings.

Thanks for all the warm thoughts over the past couple of days. My friend's father's services were lovely with lots of people who loved him all gathered together. Needless to say they were two very long, very emotional days. They were also days with very little exercise and way too much "comfort" eating. Yesterday was snacking on sandwiches and cookies throughout the day. Today, was a full funeral lunch of delicious Polish fare like pierogis and kluski followed by leftover pasta for dinner. Oh, and more cookies. :blush:

I agree with those who say less carbs and more protein keep the cravings at bay--at least that's true for me. Given my food choices over the past two days, all I want are more carbs right now. Tomorrow will be a fresh start and a long run. Sixty degrees here, so maybe it will be outside.

Grading Goals:
    1. x/21 Speech tests
    2. x/41 AP essays
    3. x/59 JRP journals
    4. 1/41 BNW reflections

Fitness Goals for the month of February:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week:
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 3 = 1/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks.
    I will run an 8k twice. 1/2

Nutrition Goal for February:
    Eat >100 g protein 12/29

You vs Year Challenge:
    65k done/ 935k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + shovel snow DONE
    Tues-- pending
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs-- pending
    Fri-- pending
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
    Sun-- walk gunner + gym
  • Nikion901
    Options
    ztzbxluofg2g.jpg
    my5yjuhibsix.jpg

Take you pick for today's National ..... Day ...

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @niki-You last post of Pick your whatever day is cool!
    @Barb - I'm totally sympathetic to your ankle problem...if the base is broken the statue is no good. Same for us. And you feel worthless. I'm often in the same boat. Currently I'm wearing ankle braces on both feet. It does help tremendously, but they are also fatiguing and the end of the day can't come quick enough for me, when I get to take them off.

AFM: oh, its too late - bed is calling -must sleep - catch the rest later. one more post to do.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    THOUGHTS ON UPCOMING MONTHLY CHALLENGES]

please share your input so we can decide on the monthly challenge for March. I'm thinking we should plan for the summer by preparing from the ground up. ie. in March we could concentrate on our ankles and calves. IN April the challenge could be to work on our glutes and our thighs. In May the Challenge could be to work on our Abs and in June - continue with our arms.

It seems several of us were troubled with shoulder injuries, so which month should we put specific exercises to protect the shoulder - is that the trapezius? (I also had an injury there and it took 2-3 years to heal.)

Does that sound like a workable plan to every one? Please give your feedback to the group. March will be here in 9 days.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    @Kaye - I'm happy you have a WINDOW!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @niki-- everyday is "love your pet day" in this house. :smile:

@barb-- sorry your ankle is still sore. It stinks when an injury keeps us from our go-to form of exercise. I don't blame you for not wanting to risk walking on ice. I'm the same way.

@tammy-- that stinks that your cold turned into bronchitis. I also need both good eating plus exercise to make any progress with weight loss. Seems like I've been struggling for months to sync the two for longer than a few days at a time.

@celtic-- I also laughed at your "socks and earrings" comment. I truly believe my obsession with shoes came from an inability to fit into much else. Cute, trendy clothes didn't fit, but I could buy cute, trendy shoes. Now, I tend to spend more of my shoe budget on runners. It's hard for me to leave DSW without a new pair of Asics or Sauconys.

@saleemah-- I think you could get away with some items that need refrigeration if you plan to eat those earlier in your trip. Do you like hummus? I think it travels better than dairy based dips for those veggies.

@rachel-- thanks for sharing the info about those almond milk ice cream sandwiches. They sound yummy!

@kelley-- Ugh, I feel so bad for you with those chronic migraines. When I was in my mid-thirties, I used to get hormone related migraines about once a month. They got progressively worse for about a year, and then they went away, for the most part. I still get one on occasion, but not with the same regularity. I can't imagine getting them daily! I really hope the doctor finds a solution for you quickly.

@mikaiten-- I so happy to hear you are getting past your gym fear. It really should be a place that makes you feel good. not a place that creates anxiety. I need to get something to track my calorie burns. I have been through 2 HRMs, but have neglected to buy anything new b/c there are so many options. I just can't decide which one to buy.

@laurie-- thanks for the advice that the day after the funeral is difficult. I made sure to call my friend today. Fortunately, she was keeping busy running errands and then some other friends took her to a comedy club tonight. Tomorrow we are getting together to go to Eataly and then to House of Blues to see one of my former student's whose band is playing there.

@kaye-- the bathroom renovation sounds great! We really need to redo our shower/tub. but only have one bathroom, so it feels almost impossible. How do I give up my only bathroom to a construction project? Even if it only takes a day or two, it sounds very inconvenient. I wish I lived near you b/c I love to paint, and I'm pretty good at using those edging tools, if I do say so myself.

AFM-- I know it looks like I got nothing done for school, but I actually graded some test corrections, created groups for a lesson on Monday, and posted participation grades for my juniors. I hope to get the speech tests done tomorrow. My sub collected the journals and reflections on Friday, so I don't even have those at home. They will have to wait until Monday.

Today I slept in, then took gunner for a walk. The weather was so lovely (in the 60s!) that I decided to run outside. Tomorrow it is supposed to drop back into the 40s, but for February in Chicago, that's still pretty nice.

Grading Goals:
    1. x/21 Speech tests
    2. x/41 AP essays
    3. x/59 JRP journals
    4. 1/41 BNW reflections

Fitness Goals for the month of February:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week:
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 3 = 2/3 runs, 2/1 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks.
    I will run an 8k twice. 1/2

Nutrition Goal for February:
    Eat >100 g protein 14/29

You vs Year Challenge:
    70k done/ 930k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + shovel snow DONE
    Tues-- pending
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs-- pending
    Fri-- pending
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE + run outside DONE
    Sun-- walk gunner + gym
  • Nikion901
    Options
    RobinsEgg wrote: »
    THOUGHTS ON UPCOMING MONTHLY CHALLENGES]

please share your input so we can decide on the monthly challenge for March. I'm thinking we should plan for the summer by preparing from the ground up. ie. in March we could concentrate on our ankles and calves. IN April the challenge could be to work on our glutes and our thighs. In May the Challenge could be to work on our Abs and in June - continue with our arms.

It seems several of us were troubled with shoulder injuries, so which month should we put specific exercises to protect the shoulder - is that the trapezius? (I also had an injury there and it took 2-3 years to heal.)

Does that sound like a workable plan to every one? Please give your feedback to the group. March will be here in 9 days.

Ha! I can just image myself doing a months worth of sitting in my office chair or on my couch and twirling one foot and then the other to exercise my ankles and calves and call it done! :)

Seriously, doing something physical is a good idea and I just joined a challenge group to encourage myself to be more active, but am not sure i will stay with it until it starts on March 1 because I cannot 'pass' the physical assessment test that is suggested ... like being able to walk a whole mile, do planks and situps and stuff like that. My body has gotten so weak and my muscles so flabby the past few years that I'm lucky to be able to raise myself up off the bed each morning! Well ... maybe I exagerate just a little. But, when my heart goes arythmic just from carrying in the weekly groceries from the car in the garage to the house kitchen and putting them away .... well, get the picture?

That said ... I am looking to start a regular fitness program. The season is about to change and it will be warming up the grounds. I plan to do my own yard work this year ... partly to save on the expenses of a lawn service for cutting and another for fertilizing ... and partly because I want to give myself that workout. And, all the borders around my property have gotten very weedy because the lawn services I had last year didn't spray for weeds along the borders and didn't cut down the growth as I thought they were going to do ... and the weeds got too tall for them to be able to do it as part of normal weekly cutting and monthly spraying. So, I plan to get out there and do that work by hand even if I can only do it for short periods of time each day. Thus, I think I'll be getting pretty much full-body workouts by taking care of those chores for myself instead of sitting in the house looking out the window as hired help does the job for me.

Plus, I think I need to renew that gym membership at the YMCA that's withing a couple of miles of my home. I let it expire when I didn't use it for an entire year ... excuse? If was too far for me to walk without my walker from the parking lot to the building, through the building and up the elevator to the workout rooms that I used.

Gees ... am I cutting off my nose to spite my face by not renewing those service contracts?

Any way Robin ... I'm all for working on my ankles and calves. It'll help work the lymph glands and reduce the swelling in them if nothing else.

That's it for my Sunday Share folks. Have a great day.
    Follow Through with Consistent Focus
    Niki

PS ... I'm right on with my protein in this months challenge, and I think I have dropped a bit of weight. Will know for sure on my Monday Check-In
  • mountmary84
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Robin Ellen, strengthening ankles and arches sounds like a good one to me. The seated exercise video I like (By Anne Pringle Burnell)has a standing section for that; it includes standing behind the chair (for support if necessary, but lightly). Stand with feet parallel and elevate (go up on tip toes) briefly for 5 times, then feet faced out in Charley Chaplin style and up 5 times, then feet apart and parallel and up 5 times, and finally Charley Chaplin separated and up 5 times. It does do some work and I believe helps. I feel it, but it doesn't kill me.
    @Niki Great idea to do the yard work and beds yourself. I did some of that last summer, but found I needed to enforce a bit of discipline on myself. I LOVE working out there, so tended to do too much and then couldn't move the next day. Figure out a maximum and do it more often. My hope is to do that too this summer. Oh for summer!
    @Karen Glad you got out and enjoyed a bit of the fabulous weather yesterday. We did too and it was great!

AFM: We did get out yesterday. We went to Manitowoc, WI and walked a bit along the Lake Michigan shoreline. They have a beautiful (nearly deserted beach in Feb with a real sidewalk along the edge). It was terrific to be out in the warm (46º) sunshine.

Sunday Share: I am Barb. A married for 52 years 72 year old woman. DH and I run a small engineering placement business in an office upstairs in our home. It keeps us out of trouble. I love to cook, garden, grow and raise herbs (and use them), read, and enjoy the out of doors. We have 2 grown and gone kids and 4 nearly grown grandkids. I always felt fat, though as a young HS and college woman I was normal weight for my height. The weight piled on after the kids and just kept piling. It is simply high time to get it under control; it would sure help with some of my health problems etc. DH and I used to walk a lot to "solve the problems of the world" but somewhere along the line when we moved to this house and the road was gravel, got out of the habit. Now, it is harder to do though the road is now paved. I would like to get back to that for a lot of reasons and with milder weather coming (I hope) I would like to do that.

Thanks for being there.
    Barb
    mountmary84
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Well this has been a busy week again. I can say that I have made it back to the pool twice this week and it felt good to swim both times. Today, I saw a couple of people from the swim team that I swam with a year ago and it was nice to feel wanted again. I may go back to practice in a week or two if I can keep swimming to get back up to speed. However, I need to start training for a sprint triathlon at the end of April. It involves an 800 m swim so I need to build up my endurance and stamina for the swim, bike and run. The bike is 9 miles and the run is almost 3 miles.

I am also prepping for the 8K run in Chicago with Karen in early April. This is while I am letting my ankle recover from the Sprain. It is doing so much better and I have started running on it and climbing was good on Friday night. This week I am planning on getting to the gym 3 days and the pool at least twice.

Kaye- Good luck with the renovations and I hope they go well.

Karen- Smart idea with your friend. Food at a funeral is comfort food all the way but it does taste really good. I had the same problem a week a ago.

Robin- I like the challenge idea. Calf raises and leg lifts are good for the lower legs.

For those just starting or restarting, when you start exercising you need to build up your endurance to complete the exercise. This means starting slowly for example a plank- hold for 5 seconds then come down, rest for 1 minute then repeat. You will be amazed at how quickly you will build up the endurance to extend the time a little longer each time.

The time has come to start training again and get back on track.

Sunday- swim
    Monday- trainer (run?)
    Tuesday- swim or gym (run?)
    Wednesday-off or swim
    Thursday- gym or swim (run)
    Friday- climbing
    Saturday- swim
    Sunday- swim or run
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I did it! I made really yummy totally acceptable food today! I made a veggie combination of leeks, asparagus and mushrooms that turned out better than I would have guessed. Added some homemade seasoned chicken breast strips and actually enjoyed my dinner.

The party last night was fun - even though I only knew a handful of people in the crowd. Lots of dancing to classic 70's disco, which is good, because I succumbed to the macaroni and cheese bar with an amazing concoction of pasta, cheese, mushrooms and spinach. I might also have had one or two of the cheeseburger sliders and a handful of glasses of scotch. But I saved calories by only mixing the scotch with ice.

I see several days of low calorie choices only in my near future.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    @celtikgirl ... scotch on the rocks, yummy.

Some of my most favorite dishes start with onion, celery, carrots ... add some bell pepper, mushrooms, broccoli or spinach, and a piece of chicken or center cut pork chop or eggs and you have a dish that you want to lick the plate clean from. Oh yes, I also like garlic in there.
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Lost and then found, the prodigal returns.

Missed you all.

M.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Monday check-in ...
    96567173.png

I had a weight loss of 1.6 pounds this week! down 6.60 since the beginning of this year, and it's all due to calorie restriction.

My average calories this past week were 1425 a day with 6/7 days being at or below goal cals.
    That's 16/21 for Feb.
    Average protein was 76.85 grams a day with 5/7 daily goal being met.
    That's 14/21 for Feb.
    Activity calories were low this week, only 882 minutes compared to my goal of 1370, and my activity minutes were down as well. ....
    ...I spent way too much time sitting in front of this compute, especially this past week ... so much that I need to take remedial action against this bad habit. That's my goal this week ... start to break the lolly-gagging amount of time I spent on my computer.

Have a great week everyone.
    Follow through with consistent focus
    Niki