Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    @GrammyWhammy WOW! Hello! Good to see you!
    @Nikion901 Nice loss this past week. I fear I spent too much time at or near maintenance calories this past week to see a loss tomorrow.
    @LaurieK Glad to see your life is returning to a more or less normal routine. Hope the ankle heels completely soon.
    @celtikgirl The veggie/chicken dish sounds yummy. Glad you enjoyed it.
    @Kaye Have you gotten to try out that shower yet! It sounds so nice.

AFM: It is Monday morning and the week is out there ready to be tackled. The list is long (what else is new?). Make it a good week everyone.

Barb
    mountmary84

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Good Morning everyone. Another busy weekend for me.

@Niki ~Hooray on the 1.6# loss this week, whatever changes you made are working--keep it up! :star:

@celtikgirl ~Sounds like you had a good time at the party. I used to be a scotch drinker, now its Irish whiskey--Jameson :yum:.I usually have it with club soda and a lime.

@Laurie ~Glad to see you've made it back to the pool, hope your week isn't too busy so you can keep with your workout schedule.

@Karen ~Thanks. My doc started me on an anticonvulsant medication on Friday, while my headaches haven't completely disappeared they have diminished quite a bit. So far no weird side effects from it.

AFM~I think the highlight of my weekend was buying new sneakers, after my next follow-up with surgeon I get to start transitioning out of boot and for the first time in nearly a year I will have two matching shoes on. :lol: Its been warm and humid here last few days, but I refuse to turn on my a/c in February! We did have a "cool" front come through overnight with some rain and it supposed to rain all day tomorrow--hope it gets rid of the juniper that's in the air. I noticed, too, that daffodils are up--its still technically winter, right?! :wink: My March goals will be to continue following doctor's orders on rehabbing my Achilles--I see him tomorrow, so hope he tells me I can start adding in some treadmill time.
    Lost and then found, the prodigal returns.

Missed you all.

M.

So good to see you posting! :smile:
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Margarita Day!
    Today is National Margarita Day! The margarita cocktail – a famous concoction of tequila, Cointreau or Triple Sec, and lime juice – has been around since the 1940s. Every bartender in the world has put a unique spin on this classic, but no one knows who created the original.
    Dozens of people claim that they invented the margarita, including a bartender named Willie from Mexico City. He said that in 1934 he created and named the drink for his friend Marguerite Hemery. Another popular legend is that Carlos “Danny” Herrera developed the drink at his restaurant in Tijuana in 1938. He invented it for Marjorie King, a customer who was allergic to all hard alcohol except tequila, and didn’t like its sour taste. Another story is that the Dallas socialite Margarita Sames mixed up the drink in 1948 for a house full of guests. One of them was Tommy Hilton who later added the drink to the bar menu at his hotels.
    While the true identity of the tequila master may never be known, the margarita will go down in history as one of the most popular mixed drinks of all time. To celebrate National Margarita Day, invite some friends over and enjoy a pitcher of homemade margaritas!

Where to Drink $2 Margaritas on National Margarita Day

” Greens feed our souls, refresh our minds, and nourish our grateful bodies.” ~Terri Guillemets

11857432.png

Tom
  • SaleemahR
    SaleemahR Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on what to pack for my trip. I think I'm going to do the boiled eggs and just bring enough for the trip there and not on the way back. Freezing a bottle of water is definitely a great idea. It seems to last longer than an ice pack. I'm still debating on whether or not I want to bring some cheese sandwhiches or not. I found some good low calorie bread. The only thing is that I haven't had bread in awhile and I am not too crazy about going back to it, as feel that I might get hooked again.
    @skinnyjeanzbound- I've actually never had it before.

Good Morning!! Sorry I've been MIA for the past few days. Work and planning for this trip keeps me busy. Confession time: yesterday I was so stressed/depressed that I decided to binge. Unfortunately/fortunately for me I had no junk food in the house. I had packed away the veggies straws and fruit cups for my trip, leaving me with raisins, sunflower butter and sunflower seeds. My only option was to cook something. Throwing my hands up in frustration at the lack of food I had on hand, I decided that the only thing I could do was go to bed early and rest my mind . Woke up this morning and got on the scale, and I am happy to report a 5lb weight loss since last week. I've been working out for 6 days and rest on the seventh day and staying in my calorie goal for the day. I just started so I know the lbs are going to go quickly at first and then ease up, but I'm going to enjoy it until it does.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @SaleemahR -- feels good, doesn't it? I've never had a 5 pound loss in a week in my entire life!

Regarding hummus ... either you will love it or not. I love it. It is actually, usually, made from creaming together garbanzo (chick peas) beans and oil in a food processor or blender. Different things are added in for flavorings ... garlic, roasted red pepper, etc. and many recipes use tahini in it as well. Tahini is a sesame seed paste.

I often make it at home for myself and have used fava beans for it instead of garbanzo. I rarely purchase it at the supermarket because my budget prefers me to make it at home. Plus, this is a food that I don't have often because I can eat the whole container in 2 sittings instead of having the recommended 2-4 tablespoons of it at one time.

If you like the taste of garbanzo beans, you probably would like the taste of hummus. That said, my own sister dislikes garbanzo beans yet likes the taste of hummus.

Niki
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 the french were on to something with that mirepoix thing! It's a great start for anything.

Now that DH is doing medifast and fending for himself, I am free to cook with foods that I love but never fixed because he wouldn't eat them. I never thought I would find myself standing in the grocery store feeling disappointed because they didn't have leeks, or cabbage, but that happened to me last week!

@kah68 I'm usually a Jameson girl, but the open bar only had J&B scotch, I was willing to make the sacrifice.

Hmmm. Margarita Day - I suppose I am obligated to celebrate accordingly. I do like fruit, when it is mixed with tequila.

@SaleemahR - Five pounds! You rock! Great start! I was raised on squishy white bread, and it is still a guilty pleasure once in a while. But usually I use Pepperidge Farm Oatmeal bread that is whole grain, and only 45 calories per slice. This way I get to make a sandwich once in a while and my CNP doesn't get to complain as much about how much bread I eat. (If she only knew how much bread I used to eat her head would explode!)

This is the last quiet week at work for the foreseeable future, so I'm trying to get lots of loose ends tied up knowing that I won't be at my desk very much in March and April. I suppose it would be a good idea to start thinking ahead about food and snacks I can take on the go, and which of the dreaded fast food options are acceptable when all else fails. I'm open to suggestions! I did discover that the grilled chicken nuggets at chik fil a are not awful.

• Nikion901
    Options
    Here you go @celtikgirl ... plenty of options for your fast food pleasure.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/carolynkylstra/healthy-fast-food-yes-for-real#.vrv5zYL0

PS ... I'm cooking split pea soup today. No cabbage in that, but the cabbage and beets are in the fridge for my next pot of soup after this one, cause I just love my Borscht.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi guys!

Just caught up reading the thread. I could've sworn I posted yesterday, but I guess not.

@marsha-- welcome back!!

@kelley-- glad the meds seem to be helping with the migraines. Wow, two matching shoes soon-- and new ones at that! :smile:

@saleemah-- congrats on the 5 lbs! In addition to all of the great info niki gave you about hummus, I would add that the texture can play a part in whether some people find hummus enjoyable. I personally only like it when it has a very smooth consistency. The best come from Mediterranean restaurants, but Sabra is pretty good. I personally don't like Athena or Cedars-- both are too gritty for my liking.

@laurie-- I'm also trying to get myself back into training mode. Though I've been doing better with consistent running, it's still not as much as I would like.

@tom-- Margarita's yum!

@niki-- I love homemade split pea soup!

@celtik-- glad you had fun at the party! Mac and cheese is hard to resist. I've made a version with quinoa that is a satisfying substitute. It's been awhile and now you've put me in the mood.

@barb-- yes, the weather was great on Saturday, and it's still not bad considering it's February.

AFM-- Yesterday was a good day. I got the speech tests all done before picking up my friend so we could head downtown. No time to walk gunner before I left (DH took him), but we did a little walking in the city. We went to Eataly for dinner. I'd never been and it was delicious. I had squid ink linguine with calamari in a light garlic red sauce. Portions were just right and not too expensive. After ward, we went to the nutella bar and had croissants with nutella along with lattes.

After dinner we walked to House of Blues to see one of my former students perform with his band. It was a really great show and nice to see him again.

Today, I was a bit tired from being out on a school night, but got half of the journals done after school.

Grading Goals:
    1. 21/21 Speech tests DONE
    2. x/41 AP essays
    3. 29/59 JRP journals
    4. 1/41 BNW reflections

Fitness Goals for the month of February:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week:
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 3 = 2/3 runs, 2/1 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks.
    I will run an 8k twice. 1/2

Nutrition Goal for February:
    Eat >100 g protein 15/29

You vs Year Challenge:
    70k done/ 930k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner + gym
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- rest
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
    Sun-- walk gunner
  • lisalildoeshair
    lisalildoeshair Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new... got lots to loose. Since I've started back at the Gym I've lost 15.2 lbs (3 months of going 2 -3 times a week) my goal is to go a lot more and not Let the craziness of get in the way! I feel great after the gym, so why do I put it off?
  • Morgori
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Curling is Cool Day!
    Curling is Cool Day is a day to celebrate, learn, and to play a sport that began in Scotland in the 1500's. Curling is a team sport in which players slide heavy granite stones down a sheet of ice at a circular target area. A curling tournament is known as a bonspiel. Curling has been an official sport in the Winter Olympic Games since 1998, but curling was included in the the inaugural Winter Olympic Games in 1924, but the results were not made official until 2006. Today celebrate this holiday by playing the game or learning about the history and scoring of the game.

Chemicals, n: Noxious substances from which modern foods are made. ~Author Unknown

11857432.png

Tom
  • kah68
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well, guess I spoke too soon. I saw my surgeon this morning, still in the boot--he ordered 4-6 more weeks of PT. I can still take the boot off when I get home but at work and walking long distances I have to wear it, so no matching shoes for another 4-6 weeks. :frowning: Meanwhile, he said I can start riding my bike again for short distances (had to promise not to get hit by a car :wink:). See him again in April.

@Karen ~Nutella bar?! :yum:

@Tom ~I really got into curling last winter Olympics.

@SaleemahR ~Awesome loss! :star:

@lisalildoeshair ~Welcome, you're off to a great start!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @kelley-- Yeah, the Nutella bar was a great reminder of why I never keep that stuff in the house. It would be gone in a heartbeat. Sorry your surgeon mandated more boot time, but I'm glad you can start cycling.

@lisa-- welcome!

AFM-- I amended my plan to go to the gym today b/c my insomnia was pretty bad last night. I didn't feel I would get a very good workout being so overtired. Instead, I graded some more after school and will go to the gym tomorrow.

Tuesday Goals:
    I want to finish up the journals tomorrow and the reflections by the end of the week, so I can focus on the essays this weekend.

Grading Goals:
    1. 8/41 BNW reflections
    2. x/41 AP essays
    3. 54/59 JRP journals

Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 3 = 2/3 runs, 2/1 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k

Eat >100 g protein 15/29

You vs Year Challenge:
    70k done/ 930k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner + gym
    Sat-- walk gunner
    Sun-- walk gunner + gym
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Marsha- Glad to see you pop in. Hope you are doing well.

Kelley- Yeah for getting out of the boot soon.

Tom- Margarita day yummy, strawberry is my favorite!!!!

Yesterday, I was swamped from sunup to sundown and beyond. It was non-stop from 5 and to 10pm. Between a long day of parent conference (only 2 showed up) so it became a work day. Accomplished a few things but not enough since I was very tired due to lack of sleep. However, I did make it to my workout session for a core workout with some running drills. Then it was home for a quick bite and off to class. The sign language class is going well and I am having fun.

Today, was a long day as well and I ended up working later than planned and it will be bedtime soon. I did walk at the gym but did not feel like a major workout tonight. The bright side is I did something.

The next two days, I will be too busy to hit the gym but Friday should be back to climbing. My schedule is filling up and the weather is mostly rain so not even time for a quick walk outside. I hope it calms down soon.

Sunday- swim Done
    Monday- trainer (run?) DONE
    Tuesday- swim or gym (run?) DONE- walk
    Wednesday-off or
    Thursday- walk or (run) outside or rest
    Friday- climbing
    Saturday- swim
    Sunday- swim or run

I am off to bed now, so I hope everyone has a great night.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    I made an old time Russian favorite soup yesterday and ate all of it instead of saving half for today. That certainly put me way beyond my achievement goal for protein, but still came in at my calories. It's high is sodium because it has pickles as one of the ingredients so it's not one I make often even though I can make it at any time of year. I have satisfied that old-world taste with that one, and am now looking forward to the soon to be sorrel season when I can make me some Sorrel Soup for the few weeks that green wiil be in season. That Sorrel Soup is one my sister and I both look forward to come March and April.

Like all Russian soups, this one starts with the 3 basics, onion, carrots, and celery root. I don't buy celery root so usually substitute either regular celery stalks or parsnips for that ingredient. The vegetables are cut finely and sauteed before being added to the pot, and usually not until the other ingredients have cooked most of the way through. That's one very big difference to the American soup recipes I make, which have the vegetables added raw into the cooking pot along with the broth/water and meat. My mom had a finishing trick to her soups that always set hers apart and ahead of all her friends' versions of the same dish. She did one of 2 or 3 different finishing touches to the soup that were different.

There are still some soups I make that I borrow those techniques that marked a soup as made by my mom, and then I cry into that bowl of soup as I eat it because I miss her so much, even after all these years ... so I tend not to use those techniques very often. She and my dad both passed away in the month of April, right around Easter for the years in which they died. Mom during the week between Palm Sunday and Easter, and dad on Easter Sunday. I dread the coming Lenten season because I become so melancholy at that time.

Sorry folks, that soup and my dreams last night have apparently loosened my tongue. Back to reality ... I'm scrubbing my kitchen today as my exercise goal. Nothing like the stereo blasting music as I scrub, scrub, scrub and eat premade salads and eggs so as to not slow the action!

Follow-through with Consistent Fosus,
    Niki
  • SaleemahR
    SaleemahR Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @Lauriek70 - Seems like you're keeping active! I would love to participate in a marathon one day, but I've got to get over the baby steps first. My town has a walkathon this year were you have to walk around the track for 30 minutes so I hope to participate in that.

@skinnyjeanzbound - You seem so organized. Maybe writing out my goals for the week will help me stay on track. I'm not a very organized person and I'm lucky if I accomplish 1/3 of the things I mentally plan out for the day.

Thanks for the congrats everyone.

So yesterday I binged, hard. :( Started off good with fruit cups and rice cakes, then my mom came over and wanted to taste the granola bars I made for my trip. I gave her one and decided to taste it, and one bite turned into quite a few bars. Then I proceeded to go into my stash for my trip.....needless to say it was not pretty. I'm back on it today and though I feel rather guilty, I've been doing good for the past 13 days so one day wasn't too bad. I figure if I'm too hard on myself, it'll keep me down and I just might have another bad day.
  • Morgori
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Inconvenience Yourself Day!
    Inconvenience Yourself Day was started by a woman named Julie Thompson, who thought it would be a nice idea to remove the focus from ourselves and concentrate on others. She's even has her own website! Check it out at http://www.inconvenienceyourself.com/ and take this day to go out of your way for someone else's good.

Nikion901- Are those 2 or 3 different finishing touches to the soup a secret or can you share them? :)

People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. ~Author unknown

11857432.png

Tom
  • kah68
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Good Morning.

@SaleemahR ~Don’t be too hard on yourself, none of us are committed 100% of the time. When you do fall off that wagon, it’s important to recognize it and move on. Hope you still have enough granola bars for your trip. :wink:

@Karen ~I’m sorry your insomnia kicked it into high gear the other night, hope last night was better. Good that you got some grading done though.

@Niki ~I always saute veggies before adding them to soup, especially the standard mirepoix.

AFM~The last two nights I’ve been hit with a terrible migraine in the evening, last night I went to bed with an ice pack on my head so I could fall asleep (which I woke up to Zoe playing with at 2am). Called my doc this morning to see what we should do. Meanwhile, the weather should be really nice this weekend so I look forward to getting out in the sun on my bike for a short inaugural ride on my new tendon. :smile:
  • Nikion901
    Options
    SaleemahR wrote: »

So yesterday I binged, hard. :( Started off good with fruit cups and rice cakes, then my mom came over and wanted to taste the granola bars I made for my trip. I gave her one and decided to taste it, and one bite turned into quite a few bars. Then I proceeded to go into my stash for my trip.....needless to say it was not pretty. I'm back on it today and though I feel rather guilty, I've been doing good for the past 13 days so one day wasn't too bad. I figure if I'm too hard on myself, it'll keep me down and I just might have another bad day.

Sounds like those granola bars are full of carbs ... like dried fruit, honey or sugar, oats, and probably nuts. I cannot ever eat any kind of bar like that as it always sets off a gobble, gobble, gobble. It's the dry fruit that does it for me.

Are you going to make some more?
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    @Tom Love the quote. I'd like those soup secrets, too. I love a good soup.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @saleemah-- I have to make the lists precisely b/c I'm not very organized. I was blessed with a fabulous memory when I was younger, so I always relied on that to get things done or find items I needed. Now, as I get older and older, it's not as sharp so I must write down everything. LOL

@niki-- I only know how to make split pea and cream of mushroom, and for both I always saute onions and garlic first in butter; then I add flour to make the roux before adding anything else. For the mushroom, I do add the raw mushrooms toward the end b/c they cook so quickly and I like them to have a little "bite" in the finished product. I'm sorry you are missing your parents. I always miss my grandma around the New Year b/c her birthday was in January and she passed in February.

@kelley-- Thanks, sleep was better last night. Sorry about your nighttime migraines-- that really stinks.

@laurie-- Glad you are enjoying the sign language class. Is it Universal or American Sign Language? When I worked at Center on Deafness we used ASL, but some of my colleagues who were deaf used USL with each other. It was so conceptual that it was harder to understand finer connotations, but I could still interpret the general meaning.

Wednesday Wish:
    A friend of mine always says, "Don't wish your life away," but I wish it were Spring already.

Grading Goals:
    1. 20/41 BNW reflections
    2. x/41 AP essays
    3. 59/59 JRP journals DONE

Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 3 = 2/3 runs, 2/1 5k; Week 4 = 1/3 runs, x/1 5k

Eat >100 g protein 16/29

You vs Year Challenge:
    72k done/ 928k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym RAN AT HOME
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner + gym
    Sat-- walk gunner