Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Grammy - welcome back - good to see you again!

@lilsalildoeshair gosh I butchered your name - but I'mtrying to say hi to the new lady who's posted since my last post. I can't flip back to the last page and read your name again! but welcome!! Hello Howdy!

@Kah - have you done a thorough dusting lately? You've had strange weather patterns that might have brought unusual allergens into your home? I'm just shooting in the dark here- and does your kitty travel outside? She could be bringing those allergens in.....you might try wiping her down after she comes in.....I just so bad for you now....

@AFM: I am in a lot of pain and just found out its source, I've got a L2-3 disc that is ruptured and extruded. My left leg has troubled me for 4 years, and the last year and been really terrible. I just got this new MRI and now this is the new report. Tomorrow I am getting a shot hopefully to see if it will stop the pain otherwise I'm going to see one of the neurosurgeons I used to work with and talk about surgery. Something I've been trying to avoid. But I have been pig-headed for too long. "You cause your own trouble" I've been told much too often :'(

Oh, and please I wanna make soup what kind of mushrooms do you use they have the neatest mushrooms at the store!
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Let's All Eat Right Day!
    When Celebrated - Always on February 25th
    Let's All Eat Right Day is a day to honor Adelle Davis, one of the country's best-known nutritionists. Adelle, born on February 25th 1904 was a advocate in the nutrition movement, she wrote a series of books about healthy living including the books: Let's Cook it Right, Let's Have Healthy Children, Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit, and Let's Get Well. Adelle was a proponent for eating whole unprocessed foods, she criticized food additives, and claimed that dietary supplements and other nutrients played a huge role in preventing diseases and restoring health when recovering from a disease. Today is a good day to reflect on the foods we eat and the ways we try to stay healthy and identify ways we can eat right and stay healthy.

You don't cure emotional eating by removing all comfort foods. You do it by learning how to comfort yourself. ~Karen Salmansohn

11857432.png

Tom
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Robin ~Thanks. I’m sorry you’re in so much pain, I hope the shot helps and that you find relief soon. Chronic pain is no fun. :frowning: Zoe is an indoor cat; I keep my house very clean and closed up during high allergen seasons. I have a feeling hormones are playing a huge role with my migraines, I see that doc in a couple of weeks (she’ll test my hormone levels). Meanwhile, my internist has increased my dosage of the migraine prophylaxis (which actually doubles as a non-estrogen treatment for peri-and-menopausal symptoms since I won't go on HRT). He has also ordered an MRI just to make sure nothing else is going on—I’ll get that scheduled for next week sometime.

@Karen ~I, too, am wishing for spring—as much as I hate the storms spring weather brings, I'd like to have some consistent temperatures.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear that real cooks saute vegetables for soup ... I look at a lot of YouTube recipe videos and collect a lot of recipes, both online and from books/magazines ... and I must have gotten the wrong impression because I never read in the English Language ones to do that ... the recipes always just say to add the vegetables to a pot, add broth and so on .... See what you learn when you talk to real cooks!!!

@Karen... I've never made a roux for my split pea soup, I'll have to try that the next time I do. This is probably the only soup I made where I don't saute my carrots and onions and never thought to add garlic to it. I always just follow the recipe on the back of the package of split peas ... now I'm gonna have to try this technique the next time I make some.

@Morgori and @grandmakaye44 ... here's one tip from my mother's way to finish a soup. She used this method for chunky vegetable based soups. Often times, these soups were made during Lent and were meat free so to add more flavor my mom would saute finely minced onion in a little oil until the little bitty pieces of onion got very caramelized (almost on the verge of burned) ... and then she would put that into the soup at the very end of the cooking time. She would also put some of the broth from the soup into the saute pan as a little rinse to get all the flavors of the onion oil into the soup. Then she would add her minced green herbs to the top of the soup, take the pot off the heat, cover it and let it rest for at least 10 minutes or longer before serving it.

@AFM... I ignored some rules yesterday. I ordered a Chinese takeout dinner to be delivered instead of cooking my own dinner last night. I got one of my favorites ... Vegetable Delight (mixed vegetables with tofu) combo meal ... the vegetable delight, rice, small portion of wonton soup. ... Needless to say my calories were very high yesterday and my sodium was enough for a couple of days instead of one

I really should put Tofu on my shopping list so that I can learn to make this on my own instead of relying on the take-out service.

My kitchen KP project is unfinished, so more of that today, ... while some beef ribs are simmering to make a broth for a pot of cabbage and beet borscht for the weekend.

Follow through with consistent focus
    Niki

PS ... @Robin ... sorry you are in that kind of pain. L2-L3 do make for a lot of hurt.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. Well I am on the road to recovery. Still got a cough but not near as bad. Otherwise things are just running along. Husband is home but still has to work everyday at shipyard getting their new boat ready that was supposed to be done last month. Kinda sucks cause this is supposed to be his downtime from working so hard up there and I can see him starting to get burnt out. The company has made some very bad changes this year and I think they are about to lose alot of employees. It is sad that it seems to take something like that for big companies to realise that what they are doing is wrong. My hubby is just trying to hang in long enough to get his engineering certifications then he can go onto any boat in the world and make the big bucks. Certified engineers are so rare that when you get the certs companies start calling you offering jobs. I have been toying around with a couple home based buisness Ideas. I was thinking of trying to start a dog walking buisness and/or maybe a meal prep buisness. I hear people saying all the time that they wish they would take the time to do meal prep on the weekends to make the weeks run smoother and am thinking maybe thats something people would be willing to pay for. My only problem is I am not sure how to go about getting these ideas off the ground. I am not a social person so it isnt I something I could try to launch through people I know. I am going to keep thinking on it though cause I really think they are good ideas and fill a need and are something I would enjoy doing.

@kah sorry you are still stuck in the boot. I am so happy the tears in my ankle tendons were so small and I can get away with just a brace when I am being really strenuous. At least you are being smart and listening to the dr.
    @robin I hope the shots can give you some relief. Its amazing the amount of pain that can be caused by one spot in your back.
    @niki I have to agree with everyone else. I always sautee my eggies before putting together soups. You would lose so much flavor if you didnt. I am curious what kind of soup you made that involved pickles. I love pickles but never had them in soup before
    @lauri sounds like you are keeping very busy. Happy to hear your ankle is feeling better
    @Karen I dont think I need to wish for spring here. Mother nature doesnt seem to realise it is still february. Everything is starting to leaf out and all the spring flowers are coming up

Alright I guess its time to get busy. Today is sunny and sixties so its get the back yard cleaned up. Have a great day everyone :):)
  • RobinsEgg
    edited February 2016
    Options
    After the doc saw the MRI he decided to call me and cancel that appt. he said nope, and get thee to the neurosurgeon. So I'm seeing a friendly doc I worked with back in the day, on Mar 1. Ugh, thats a bad indication but I read a lot and having looked back on 3+ years of falls, and pain sufficient to require narcotics and continuous physical therapy, I suppose it is time for a surgical solution. Now that I've reached this conclusion March 1 can't come fast enough B)

Niki - send me some of your mom's soup - My mouth is watering with desire! Luckily I live right across the street from a Noodles and Co restaurant!

I had a blessed day. My sister and my younger brother generously gave their time and effort and came over and did chores for me. They flipped the mattress, changed the sheets, installed a bed rail so I can cet out of bed easier, and then hung some new r00m-darkening curtains I finally bought. Gosh those are wonderful. !!!! The room-darkening feature is such an asset plus it makes an ordinary curtain look 10x better, thicker and richer, and it draped wonderfully. I'm very impressed by their look. SHoot. I should take a picture for you!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @robin-- so sorry to hear about your back, but I'm glad you have your siblings to help you out.

@tammy-- I think both of your business ideas sound great, but especially the meal prep idea. Dog walking is great, but there are always risks when handling other people's dogs. Dogs get used to their specific trainers, and I would hate to see you get hurt or a dog get loose b/c it wasn't responding to your way of handling it. Meal prep on the other hand, is unique and probably has less risks for you. That being said, I have no idea how you would get that idea off the ground.

@niki-- I ignored all the rules today. I didn't bring enough for lunch, so bought chicken corn chowder and some cheez-its to supplement it. Then, I planned to make turkey lasagna for dinner, but forgot to buy ricotta or mozzarella cheese, so made turkey marinara for spaghetti instead. That wasn't so terrible, but I ate way too much of it-- you'd think I was carb loading for a marathon. Now I'm bloated. Live and learn.

@kelley-- our temps have been really inconsistent as well, but for us it's a blessing b/c at least we've had a few days here and there that feel like spring. And for once they seem to be landing on weekends more often, so that's a nice treat. This weekend will be in the 50s again. Yay!

@tom-- I missed the memo and did not eat right today. :(

Thursday Truth:
    Today was quite carb heavy as I revealed in my post to niki; plus, I didn't even take gunner for a walk. I'm still really struggling with working out regularly. Even when I do go to the gym, I just run and then come home. I haven't done any core or strength training in about a month. I wish I could find some means of motivating myself to get back into it. February is always a blah month for me. The weather is always wearing on me at this point of winter, and Spring Break still seems oh so far away. I need to get over this pity party and get my butt in gear!

On the plus side, I've gotten a lot of grading and planning done this week. I plan to tackle at least half of the AP essays this weekend.

Now the weather report is saying 61 degrees on Saturday!

Grading Goals:
    1. 41/41 BNW reflections DONE
    2. x/41 AP essays

Fitness Goals for the month of February:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week:
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 3 = 2/3 runs, 2/1 5k; Week 4 = 1/3 runs, x/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks.
    I will run an 8k twice. 1/2

Nutrition Goal for February:
    Eat >100 g protein 16/29

You vs Year Challenge:
    72k done/ 928k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym RAN AT HOME
    Thurs-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Fri-- walk gunner + gym
    Sat-- walk gunner
    Sun-- walk gunner + gym
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    @Skinny - a long time ago I rented part of my rental house out to a nice grad student from Philly. She hated Feb. too, and just couldn't get going and called her mood the whim-whams I used to wait on her as she lolled on the sofa, trying to study from a big text book on the floor below her. She'd drink endless glasses of tea, and then force herself out into the dreary nite air and go for a run. It is such a dreary gloomy, sun- deprived month. It makes me excited thou - I anticipate with joy the upcoming spring months and spend my free time at Michaels with the pretend pansies and little bird nests that are around this time of year.

Well, I took a snap of my curtains. They are such an improvement - I had just lace panels before - sso up with the sun every morning. These even say they block sound ! I do have a busy street right outside, so that would be doubly nice.

xjbw1ex2l0kb.jpg
  • kah68
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Karen ~I haven’t eaten the best either lately, I guess on the bright side my weight has either stayed the same or gone down a couple of pounds since my surgery in October. I could have easily gained 15-20 pounds with all of the sitting around. Saturday looks like it’s going to be a gorgeous day here too, sunny and in the 70s—gives me spring fever. I want to plant flowers but we can always expect one more cold spell in March, so I must resist the urge! :wink:

@Robin ~The curtains look really nice. I have white shears and scarf on the window in my bedroom so several years ago I installed a room darkening shade behind my wood blinds--keeps my room nice and dark at night & keeps that hot sun out in the summer.

AFM~Busy day around here. Leaving work early since I took at earlier PT appointment then Zoe has a wellness exam this afternoon—that should be fun. She’s actually pretty good, cries in her carrier some but when I take her out at the vet she just sticks close to me. I’m going to harness train her this spring and see how she does. I’m excited for Saturday as it’s my first pedicure in 4 months—doc finally said it was okay. My toes will be so happy! :lol: Before that I plan on a short bike ride either outside or at the gym.

I was just thinking about some of our old crew that hasn’t been here in many months, I hope everyone is doing well.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    So ... have we decided on a group challenge for March or are we going to stay the same as this month?
    @Robin ... and @everyone... it sounds as if you might be having surgery on your discs, and other people are having physical issues as well ... so maybe we should focus on food related challenges instead of physical activity? ...
    ... looking back through the thread from a way back I see that one challenge month was about eating more salads ...

AFM ... I have joined a challenge that will run for 10 weeks that is activity based ... I have no idea if I will be able to do it the walking it will involve or if I will be on the sidelines cheering others on. 10 weeks is a long time, so I hope I will be able to follow through on it. I've had walking as my personal challenge on this thread a lot but ended up not walking much because I don't go to a gym and there was either too much snow or too much cold air outside.

Protein goals are being met surprisingly easily from the beginning of this month to now ... but the past 3 days have been 'fall back to old eating patterns' days and I've pudged overnight!

Today I am taking my sister-in-law (ex) out for lunch. She turns 88 years old today. One of her daughters has flown in from out of state to surprise her mom at a family birthday party for her tonight. She has no clue about it!

Follow-through with consistent focus
    Niki
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    @jtconst - my niece had a booming dog walking business - she would pet sit/house sit overnight and had several loyal customers who spent outrageous amounts of money on their dogs. It was a lucrative business for her, but it also a serious time commitment, there was a fair amount of daily travel, and her busiest times were around the holidays so she often missed out on family gatherings. She is expecting twins this spring, so she has pared back to only a small handful of customers that she can manage for the time being. Once the babies are older, I imagine she will crank back up. I think she likes dogs better than people. I would caution you on the food prep business that, depending on the regulations where you live, you may need to have a commercially licensed kitchen in which to prepare food for sale to the public.

@RobinsEgg - wishing you all good outcomes from your appointment next week. It is always a relief to know there is something to be done about a problem.

@Nikion901- I joined that challenge too! Hoping that being accountable to a team will keep me motivated through my crazy busy season and I won't make excuses to skip the gym.

I had my check in at the doctor's office this morning - lost 4.25 pounds over the last two weeks and my BMI is out of the 40's for the first time in at least five years. I don't put a whole lot of stock in BMI numbers, but it does seem to make my doctor awfully happy. I swear my vital statistics must count as points for him in some kind of doctor fantasy sports league!

The witch hazel bush in my back yard is starting to bloom, there are robins everywhere, and I've seen/smelled several dead skunks on the road, so spring must be on its way! I'm hoping to spend some time this weekend in the garage with my motorcycle. It has a few issues that need attention and I don't want it to be in pieces when the first warm riding days arrive!
  • RobinsEgg
    edited February 2016
    Options
    r@celtikgirl @doctor fantasy sports league - I cracked up and snorted thru my nose and LOLLED! your jokes are the best!!! Did you know that underpants are just another word for junk drawers?

We need to get a consensus on the March Challenge. I'm for working on body sections over the next 3 months as proposed, so for March I suggested: ankles and calves- just strengthening them fso we all have a strong foundation in all our various degrees of strength and abilities from beginner to rock climber (hint hint @ Laurie - what do you think?) Niki made the suggestion that we emphasize eating salads and thats a great idea - , or we could repeat the protein challenge; that has proven to be a winner.

WHAT SHALL WE DO?????? MARCH IS AROUND THE CORNER!

I have enjoyed working the protein challenge. Last night I was super busy and skipped a regular dinner, and ate junk food from 3pm to 7 pm. Gosh I had cravings from 9 pm on and I couldn't get to sleep at all, and I was FULL. Finally, about 1 am. after a dozen tiny sugar cookies I broke down and scrambled 2 eggs with cheese and tomato bits. I ate like I was famished - that protein hit the right receptors, and I fell into bed 1/2 hour later so tired and sleepy feeling, and fell asleep very quickly. Funny, that protein. Didn't figure how well it worked at a sleeping potion.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    [quote="RobinsEgg;35612835" Niki made the suggestion that we emphasize eating salads and thats a great idea - , or we could repeat the protein challenge; that has proven to be a winner.

WHAT SHALL WE DO?????? MARCH IS AROUND THE CORNER!

I have enjoyed working the protein challenge. Last night I was super busy and skipped a regular dinner, and ate junk food from 3pm to 7 pm. Gosh I had cravings from 9 pm on and I couldn't get to sleep at all, and I was FULL. Finally, about 1 am. after a dozen tiny sugar cookies I broke down and scrambled 2 eggs with cheese and tomato bits. I ate like I was famished - that protein hit the right receptors, and I fell into bed 1/2 hour later so tired and sleepy feeling, and fell asleep very quickly. Funny, that protein. Didn't figure how well it worked at a sleeping potion.[/quote]

You are too funny @RobinsEgg ... those tiny sugar cokies probably got your cravings going wild ... they would mine! Both the protein and the fat content of those eggs and cheese are what finally put those cravings to rest. I'm not surprised you finally crashed and slept ...

Hey, I'm in for whatever challenge the group decides on ... there just hasn't been much talk about it ... but your suggestion of working on the ankles for the month is a good start toward activity. As I mentioned, I've joined an activity-centered challenge while I was waiting for us to decide ... so anything will fit in be it food or ankles.

Looking forward to Monday Check-in ... and then right after that it will be MARCH 1st!
    follow through with consistent focus
    Niki
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Robin-I am all for the ankle challenge to help build strength and that could include the calves and knee muscles as well. Protein is also good with me. Good luck at the surgeon and sorry to hear that you are in so much pain.

This has been another busy week and tonight I finally was able to stay home. The bright side is my grading is caught up, all I need to do is enter the grades into the grade book on Monday morning.:)

Tammy healthy meal plans are great but check with your local health department for regulations on home based food businesses. You could also contact a business advisory group such as SCORE, retired business owners who help new business get started and give advice. I will talk to a friend and see what he says, he is doing a healthy meal plan business as well.

I have a couple of friends who are overweight but they appear to be happy with who they are and I remember those days. What I have finally figured out is this; people will not exercise or make weight loss a priority in their lives until they are motivated internally to do so. They believe they are active and eating healthy but when it comes to making the changes they will speak the words and not follow through. All I can do is invite them to go bike riding, swimming or biking with me and I hope they say yes. Mostly they will have some excuse not to go but then my response is you can join me when you are ready. It truly needs to be their decision and their desire other the changes won't last. Maybe that is why I have managed to keep off the 70 lbs so far is because I don't want to go back to the person I was and I want to be active. For me it is personal and yes it is a challenge every day but it is worth it at the end of the day. For those of you starting out or restarting, ask yourself why do you want to do this? Then you can find the motivation to stick with it and make the changes you want and those that will help you to be successful. As for my friends, I will ask from time to time and I will encourage them to be more active but I will not pester them into doing this for now my response will be when you are ready. I know they are not there yet but I hope that they will be there someday soon.

My goal for the coming week is to eat at home and not out. Last week I ate out 5/7 days and that is not good. I did choose more salads but still eating out needs to stop. Busy weeks are not good for me.

• skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @robin & niki-- I'm fine with whatever challenge everyone wants to do. As far as fitness goes, I need to stay focused on my running goals, but it certainly wouldn't hurt me to add some calf raises and maybe some foot stretches as well. I like the salad goal--or maybe we can broaden if to more veggies in general.

@celtik-- glad your doc was happy about your numbers. That's certainly a nice benefit of losing weight.

@kelley-- yes, it's in the 50s here this weekend (maybe 60s tomorrow), so that is making me scrutinize the state of my yard. It's always pretty dismal at this point when the snow has all melted but nothing is growing yet.

@robin-- You've given me curtain envy--they look great!. Makes me want to redecorate my own bedroom.

Friday Fitness/Saturday Success:
    Well, I got to the gym today and ran a full 5k; then I continued to complete my 2nd 8k this month. Did the 5k in about 34 minutes which is a stellar time for me; slowed down with some short walk breaks after that, but still finished the 8k in 55 minutes. I'm already sore. :open_mouth:

I didn't meet all of my running goals for the month, but improved over January, so I'm happy with the progress. I also am making decent progress on my UA You vs. Year challenge. Ran 35k in Jan and 45k in Feb. Shooting for 60k in March.

Got a bit of grading done tonight, but tomorrow will be dedicated to that endeavor. I would like to finish half of the essays and perhaps some journals as well.

Grading Goals:
    1. 5/41 AP essays
    2. 10/10 AP analysis activities DONE
    3. 1/59 JRP journals

Fitness Goals for the month of February:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week:
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 3 = 2/3 runs, 2/1 5k; Week 4 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks. DONE
    I will run an 8k twice. 2/2 DONE

Nutrition Goal for February:
    Eat >100 g protein 16/29

You vs Year Challenge:
    80k done/ 920k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym RAN AT HOME
    Thurs-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Fri-- walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Sun-- walk gunner
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @laurie-- haha, we always post at the same time. :smile: I agree wholeheartedly about what you said about people needing to have internal motivation to get healthy. I would also add that it drives me nuts when I see friends buying into weight-loss gimmicks over and over. Several of my colleagues at work do those 24-day challenges over and over. Yes, they lose some weight--and it's always with the intention that "this will just be a kick-start to healthier eating," but it never is. They go back to previous eating habits and gain back the 5 or 10 lbs almost immediately. I just bite my tongue and try to be supportive.
  • kah68
    Options
    Good Morning.

@Robin ~I, too, like your challenge ideas but I need to concentrate on what my physical therapist is giving me during our sessions and for "homework." My PT has requested I ride the bike at the gym for 30-minutes on the days I don't see him, so that's the personal challenge to myself for March.

@Laurie ~I agree with what you said, too. You can't help those that don't want to help themselves, getting healthy is a decision they need to make on their own. Unfortunately, for a lot of people it ends up being when a doctor tells them they need to make changes to avoid a certain diseases or because they've received a diagnosis that will only get worse if they don't start taking better care of their health.

AFM~It was a beautiful day here yesterday, got to enjoy some of it but it ended up being a busy day with lots of running around--at least I could enjoy the moonroof and open windows in my car while I was running around. Did a little bit of retail therapy on Friday, yesterday I rode the bike at the gym for 30-minutes then finally treated myself to a long-overdue pedicure in the spa. Today, we still have temps in the 70s but it's cloudy. I plan to open up the house--catch up on a few things around here and get some cooking done. I was finally able to find time to work on my taxes yesterday.

Yesterday when I was at the gym, I was approached by a couple of trainers regarding the weight loss challenge that begins this weekend and runs through the end of May and about the detox program. Because of my schedule and limited activity, its not really not something I thought I should participate in right now--but I'm thinking it over, could be an extra incentive to keep me focused while I'm prepping to sit for that software exam in May.

I actually get to post activity goals again, I have PT at least twice (he wants to throw in a 3rd day but not sure what day it will be):

Sunday~Rest Day
    Monday~Bike at gym
    Tuesday~PT
    Wednesday~Bike at gym or PT
    Thursday~PT
    Friday~Bike at gym or PT

Need to get moving around here, have a great Sunday! Don't forget the Oscars are tonight! :wink:
  • LC_libra
    LC_libra Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello! I haven't posted in a while. But I thought I'd write today. I've logged in a little over 50 days and have lost 18 pounds since January. Not a lot of working out yet other then walking. I will try and post more.

I'm looking forward to grilling out today! We're making bbq chicken thighs and burgers. Yum! Wishing you a good weekend!
  • Lesa1129
    Lesa1129 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to this thread.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Hi Lesa-Welcome to the thread. Hope you come back and post often.

LC_libra- Welcome back and congrats on the 18lbs. The bbq tonight sounds great.

Karen and Kelley- I agree that this fitness challenge needs to be about strengthening areas we need to work on and long term goals. I also need to work on my running goals again so my 8K time will be under 1 hour. My goal is to get my fitness level back up to where it was in November.

Robin- I do love the curtains.

Sunday Share- I have been on this thread for about 5 years now and it has been a huge help in staying focused. When I started this process, I was the classic couch potato- from lack of motivation and confidence to I liked watching TV. I always had an excuse not to do something active- whether it was work, class, volunteering etc. It did not matter to me since I had people to socialize with or just hang out. Then all that changed when I turned 40. I am not sure if there was a catalyst or I was just tired of being lazy and did not want to spend the whole summer doing nothing. So, the day after the school let out for the summer I joined the local recreation center and started walking. It was fun and I enjoyed being around people and getting to know other people there as well. I lost a few pounds that summer but gained them back when the school year started again. That December, my gym offered a special deal that involved three workout with a trainer. This program really turned my life around and started a new way of thinking. As my weight decreased and my fitness level increased, I was able to do more things and my interest levels increased. Along the way I set goals for myself such as if I lost 40 lbs I would try rock climbing. That goal worked and now I am addicted to rock climbing. It was not easy and the challenges keep coming along with facing the harsh realities of my situation at that time. However, I decided that I liked the active person I was becoming and I do not want to lose that person. Life is more about being active and making time for the physical activity along with time for friends and a social life. I have lost about 70lbs on any given day and I still have about 30 more to go, but the changes I feel, see and take pride in keep my motivation going.

Now five years later, I never thought I would have started running, biking, swimming, climbing, walking, paddle boarding, kayaking and hiking occasionally. These days my body craves these exercises or some other physical activity and the social interaction that it brings. I truly enjoy being active but more importantly, I like the person who is starting to be revealed who was hidden away for way to long. This journey may never be completely over for me however it is a path that leads to a healthier life style with more activities to choose from on a day to day basis.

The weather was perfect today sunny and close to 60 degrees, so I was able to enjoy a 12 mile bike ride today.

Goals this week
    Eat at home 5/7 days 1/5 done

Sunday- bike ride DONE
    Monday- walk or short activity before class
    Tuesday-gym
    Wednesday-gym trainer
    Thursday- Swim? or rest
    Friday- climb-weather dependent
    Saturday- mini golf, swim or gym weather dependent

They are predicting bad weather next weekend, winter needs to go away I am not looking for any more snow storms.