Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @jaded33jade - Voltaren is a topical RX pain relieving gel. My sister suffers from arthritis and recurring very painful shingles. My brother has had back surgery and chronic pain just about everywhere. They have both told me that Voltaren helps tremendously. I have pain in my wrists and hands. I use it and wear gloves over it to sleep. It does help some but I think it depends on the person. It might be something to ask your pain management doctor about.
    @MrWufpack - welcome, and thanks for your encouraging story. We know in our heads what we must do to get healthy and stay that way - it's much harder to put it into practice consistently.
    Tracy
    TX
  • jaded33jade
    jaded33jade Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @MrWufpack welcome to the group. This journey we are on will make a better, healthier lifestyle for us all.

@GOINSTD12 I haven't heard of that one. But I do have a prescription cream I put on every where I hurt. It helps a lot. But this time for my back, it's not working. I think I have thrown it out. If so all I can do is try to keep the muscles relaxed. So guess I'll have to just take it easy for a few days. Thank you for telling me what that was. And for caring.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    changed my goals for April today ... 1500 calories intake cap, 225 min a week exercise in 3 sessions minimum, 50% carb, 30% fat, 20% protein. ... Eat back of calories NOT allowed unless over the minimum required for the week (900 calories)

This plan worked for me back in 2014 when I had a good loss that was only maintained in 2015 and is being lost in 2016 to date ... and during that time I have adjusted my goals numerous times which is probably why I haven't had better success.

This is part of my April goal to go back to basics and simplify.
    And, as today is no longer April Fools Day, this is for real!
    Niki
    Follow through with consistent focus
  • MrWufpack
    MrWufpack Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the warm welcome and for the add, jaded33jade.

Nikion901, good luck. You've done it before, so you know you can do it :)
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Congrats to everyone for completing their personal challenges in March. Hope you feel pride in following thru for your 31 days. I'm PROUD OF EACH OF YOU!!!!! Remember - its not being successful for 31 days -its for finishing for 31 days - successful or not!!!
  • RobinsEgg
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Newbies!!! Welcome to all of you!! I don't make a good personal friend, I just like to see you join in the discussions on these pages. The discussions ongoing here are a great outlet as you struggle on your path to losing your weight. As I might have mentioned, its not a Victory daily, its just being Mindful daily, and continuing on your way......

so, good going, newbies, and keep at it, two stumbles forward for every one stumble back, thats progress in my book. <3
  • RobinsEgg
    edited April 2016
    Options
    double-posted the above response, so filling the space with answers to questions about my EMG test. To bad for me but EMG shows lots of nerves damaged in both legs up to knees and above due to old B12 deficiencies and that explains long time bruising issues, pale skin and part of some other issues. My primary doc didn't want to believe this, but 3rd round of blood work showed it irrefutably.....I remember getting liquid vitamins as child, and then it stopped abruptly after I was caught sneaking a sip of it!
    Ha! Over-indulgence at an early age will cost ya!
  • RobinsEgg
    edited April 2016
    Options
    To all my weight loss friends, I love you all, and I have learned much from every one of you​; I appreciate all of you for the support you have given me and for what I have seen you give each other. That is so beautiful: to see caring support given to each other. <3 Please keep that alive. Do NOT lose that because of what I am about to say:

I​t is time to ​hang up my MFP shoes, and quit this discussion thread I love so much. That doesn't mean the discussion will end. It does very well in my absence. All I add really, is a sense o​f​ continuity, and a cheerleading presence. Not much more.

After all, I haven't been here all that often lately.

My absenses have been rather noticable and like a dirty rat, I've lied and made excuses. I've often sat by my step-mother's side, but not as often as I've stated. More often than that, I have ​been the one​ hospitaliz​ed​. Over the last two-plus years, I have suffered a series of strokes​,​ ​nervous​ disorders and ​depression​ problems.

I was just released from the hospital yesterday after a 5-day stint for kidney-failure and an overwhelming depression. I have 2 surgeries scheduled in the near future, and more down the road.

My doctor knows my life in full, and says I am not living a well-rounded life. I don't have much of a chance left unless I make major changes. ​ Once change: ​ I need to just walk away from the computer, and if I correspond it will be by phone.

If you want to exchange phone numbers, PM me.

​I hope you find another Robin. It would be simple, if one could Stand Up for the job. . to be the consoler and champion of the group. I'm not nominating anyone but there are several strong personalities here that would do justice and have been better supporters of this discussion than myself for over a year. o:)

This past year I have failed the discussion in every possible way.

I am hoping one of you will step forward, and take on a new identitiy, change your name to Robin Something-or-Another, and keep posting to this thread and find it in your heart to be the person I was, the one to drop by and say encouraging things to others. To suggest the Monthly Challenge. To boot out (privately) those occasional interlopers who use the discussion for their selfish purposes without interacting with the rest of this community. That's all I ever did as far as responsbilities go. Nothing more.

Farewell, friends. Its time for this Robin to fly over to a new lawn and sing a song of gratitude that it is a New Spring. :'(:)
  • jaded33jade
    Options
    @MrWufpack You are quite welcome. I look forward to getting to know you.

@RobinsEgg I am sorry I have not gotten the chance to know you yet. I can understand the troubles with going through depression, I have to battle with it myself. From what I see you have been light of encouragement to people here. I am sorry to see you go, although I do understand having to get away from a computer. If at anytime you feel you would like someone to talk to or just chat, feel free to message me on here or my email.

Peace and Love and keep Shinning Bright
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @robinsegg - you will be sorely missed and so so welcome when/if you come back. We all suffer from depression occasionally but I know how serious it can be. Your health is so much more important than hanging around a computer forum, but please never forget you have many many people here that care for you and your well-being. I will keep you in my prayers daily for your improved health and happiness. Much love, Tracy
    TX
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    @robinsegg Oh, how sad I feel to know that things have been so hard for you. You have been inspiration to eveyone here, cheering us on even when things are hard for you. I hope you will be able to check back and report in the future at sometime. I'll probably be here struggling along.
    Love you, Kaye
  • MrWufpack
    MrWufpack Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @RobinsEgg I'm new to the community, so I didn't get to know you. But I hope you feel better. Hopefully this is just your one step back and you'll do your 2 steps forward sometime soon :)
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    First let me say thanks to all of you who sent me condolences on the loss of my husband, Jim. And Toots I do appreciate the prayers. When we suffer a loss nothing makes sense without trusting in God and looking for his support and love. It's been a few days over a month and I still miss Jim.

Yesterday started out as a good day but turned into a push/pull contest. I had offered to help a family member and they wanted the help on their timeframe, not mine. I took the path of least resistance but then resented not speaking up. But it ended well, I had dinner with my grandson and his family and wound up laughing which is something I haven't done much the past month.

Robin, I am so sorry to hear about your setbacks. Despite your personal struggles you have always been willing to give of yourself to motivate and inspire others. I would like to communicate via phone to "payback" so to speak all the support you have given me. Perhaps I can "payback" some of the encouragement and support you have given me through this group. I left you a message with my phone number. Also, please know that you deserve your full attention and you are really stronger than you think you are.

Please feel free to call me anytime although these days I don't get started until after noon, most days. And I am a nightowl.

To try to overcome the inertia that has descended on me I made a list of to do's and decided to follow them. Nothing spectacluar, mostly self care items, like feed the cats, take meds, take vitamins, take a morning walk, etc. I did that this morning and while it was very difficult, I actually feel better. . Walking down the hill was a breeze, but coming back up was harder. My next task is to go downhill to the garage and get the gas can and put gas in my car. I drove it and forgot to fill up and noticed I was dead on empty when I pulled into the drive.
    I've been driving Jims big Suburban the past few days. Don't dare drive my that car and try to make it to the gas station. I am out in the boonies and my nearest family is about 30 miles away.

My friend, Jeannie is on Spring break from teaching next week and she is spending the week with me. I want her to have a good time. She works with special needs kids and works very hard. I got tickets to Cirque du Soleil and we are going all day to the Korean Spa which has salt saunas, jade hot tubs and many any treatments which we just might try. Just thinking of all the activity wears me out, but I need to push myself and get back in motion.

I looked into going to the Biggest Loser Weight loss camp, and may do that some time in the future, but have too much on my plate now and I know this sounds crazy, but I need to get in better shape before committing to any program with lots of exercise and their program does require lots of exercise. They say they will tailor it to your fitness level, which mine is pretty close to zero.

In researching weight loss camps one theme that kept cropping up was pushing your limits and I remembered a time when I went to Epcot and silently pushed my limit so my group would not be held back. That time I was astonished at what I was able to accomplish physically. Perhaps we all have deep wells of physical limits which we never try to reach, unless someone or something pushes us there . I remember reading about a 95 lb mother who had a car fall on her son on a deserted highway and she was able to lift the car off his body, thus saving his life. Under different circumstances, she couldn't lift over 100 lbs. It's an interesting concept

I am planning to fly to Daytona to celebrate my oldest daughers birthday on the 15th. She's flying down from Nashville, Tn. While I am there the contractor is going to move all the furniture out of the downstairs and pack it in pods and then they are repairing the wood floors in the kitchen that were damaged last summer. They will then sand all downstairs floors one day, stain the next and then two days for varnish coats Since the insurance company has to pay for my accommodations, why not Florida

The following weekend, Jim's son and family are flying in from Pennsylvania. They are going to go thru the house with me and determine if there is anything they might want that I will not need when I move. I thought it was too early, because I have no idea what I will need or even when I am moving but they insisted. Also, I've discovered people grieve at different rates and in different ways. I am still in the crying stage but his children don't express their emotions very much, so they are in a different place, but I am sure, still in pain and shock. I would have just liked to waited longer. Maybe this will be therapeutic.

Jaded33jade - Have you every tried a natural product with Boswellia and DLPA which is an amino acid? I get mine from a Dr I met in Houston who runs a natural pain clinic, but you can also find at the drugstore. I used to have severe Fibromyalgia which is now under control with those supplements and I try to exercise in a pool at least 2- 3 times weekly, which I haven't been doing lately.

Kayla, welcome aboard

Well I hate to go, but that list is waiting for me. Best wishes for a wonderful week ahead

Katrena
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Had a great weekend visiting with Laurie. We did the Sky Deck at Sears Tower with another MFP friend Brian on Friday night. Saturday was a crazy mix of blizzard-like sideways snow alternating with bright sunshine. Despite the weather we got in a lot of walking, first to meet her friend for brunch, then to visit the Museum Campus and go to Adler Planetarium. Finally her HS friend met us for some Chi-town deep dish pizza.

This morning we got up and did the Shamrock Shuffle. Laurie was having some foot pain and my left hamstring had been bothering me since Friday evening, but we both pushed through and had a blast. Laurie met her goal of coming in under an hour, and even beat my time by 27 seconds!! Go Laurie!! After showering we walked to meet her cousin for lunch, and then walked up to see the famous Art Institute lions and "The Bean" at Millennium Park before heading back to the hotel to grab our bags and go our separate ways.

All in all a fun weekend, even if it did leave me pretty exhausted. LOL

@robin-- I'm sorry to hear you've been going through so much, but completely understand your need to put down the computer and focus on you.

@katrena-- glad you had a nice diner with family who made you smile.

Welcome to the newlings!! And a big "hello" to everyone else. I will catch up with more personals later.

Here is me on The Ledge at Sears Tower:
    ifif2kgpqcjg.jpg

And here's Laurie:
    zot8vtmp83s3.jpg

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @tracy (goins)-- I saw you started the ball rolling with planning April goals; thanks for the reminder.

I need to get back to logging every day. I'm already off to a bad start as I didn't log anything all weekend. However, I think laurie will attest that we surely did enough walking and running to make up for our caloric intake. So tomorrow I will start fresh and begin logging every BLT (bite/lick/taste) as kelley likes to say.

In addition, I really need to add more strength training into my work outs, so every gym visit will involve some form of weight lifting and/or core work. I think my shoulder may be healed enough to try some push ups and planks again as well which I will start tomorrow evening (just too dang tired tonight). My goal is to do those at home on my non-gym days.

Still plugging away at my UA You vs. Year Challenge to run 1000 k in 2016.

My goal for April is to lose 5 lbs. and then another 5 in May so I can start the summer where I left off last fall at about 185.

Grading Goals:
    1. 1/41 AP Lit Theory papers

Fitness Goals for the month of April:
    I will run 3x/week and at least 2 5ks/week
    Week 1 = 1/3 runs, 1/2 5k; Week 2 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish twice with no walking breaks: 1/2
    I will run an 8k three times: 1/3
    Push ups & planks =

You vs Year Challenge:
    132 k done/ 868 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- Shamrock Shuffle 8k with Laurie!! DONE + walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner
    Tues-- walk gunner + gym
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Thanks Karen for posting the pictures and talking about the trip. I had a blast and enjoyed the Chicago Shamrock Shuffle along with spending the weekend with Karen. The weather was crazy on Saturday and was slightly nicer this morning but cold. My flight was delayed leaving Chicago, then a medical emergency keep us on the plane longer, baggage claim got stuck and they moved our bags to the next carousel, bottom line I finally got home. We did plenty of walking over the past three days to make up for everything we ate.

Robin- Wishing you the best.
  • jaded33jade
    Options
    @KJEFFRIES2 I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.
    Thank you for the advice. No I haven't heard of that before I may need to look into that. I would love to exercise in a pool but sadly it's not warm enough just yet. But soon
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Monday check-in ... but before that ... I want to say ...
    Thank you @RobinsEgg for having started this thread back on BEFORE August 17, 2012, as that is the date this particular thread, which was a continuation of your thread that had to start anew after every 500 posts ... as I look back on those first pages, I see a lot of names that were still posting to here on a pretty regular basis when I joined up in October 2014 ... and this thread has become a life thread for me. It's the first thing I check every morning after I open up MFP to record my fasting blood sugar, read and finalize my food log from the night before ... it's a morning ritual. I understand totally your need to get away from the computer screen and do 'more' for your health. I, my friend, am in the same boat. This thread habit has grown over the last year into not just a few minutes in the morning before I go on to doing purposeful activities, but something I find myself still 'on' several hours later ... not healthy for my feet, my heart, or my waistline! I have tried being a 'big mama' to myself to limit my time on the computer and have been about as successful at that as I have been at dropping the 100 pounds that I started out to drop back in 2011. ... about 1/4 of the way there and holding badly. Good luck Ellen, it sounded like you were going to delete your account, I hope not ... I hope you use willpower to break the computer habit. That's what I am trying for.

As for everyone else who posts on here, I want to share a personal observation ... it's not always easy to feel included ... as many times we use 'personals' to keep in touch on here, and then our posts end up extremely long and time consuming as we try to say something to everyone we 'know' or want to encourage. That said, please do not feel excluded when you are NOT personally mentioned. After all, this is a public forum and sometimes we miss many pages of new posts before we get back on. Plus, many of us do not make everyone, or even anyone, who posts on here a MFP friend ... where posts to one another on our home page get lost in all the status updates that say nothing about: who you are, what you are doing to lose weight, what worked and what didn't, what you are struggling with, what you want to shout out as a win. ... that's were this thread comes in handy.

There is one format that has been in existence on this thread since the beginning and it is spelled out as a suggestion for when you want to post something but aren't sure what to say ... it's on page 1. I use it most of the time and find it helpful ... and that's why Monday is check-in Day for me ... so with that ...

This morning weight was .4 pounds higher than the one I took on April 1. However, that is 1.2 pounds less than it was last Monday ... so it's heading in the right direction again.

As posted on April 1 ... these are my goals ... not very specifically stated ...
    In April I will
    1 Log all my meals and exercise in MFP
    2 Work on improving my diet by focusing on just one aspect at a time
    3 Finish the housecleaning and spring yard work
    4 Focus on trimming away that recent gain to get back on track ... I still have a goal to drop 50 pounds this year!

To be more specific ...
    This first full week of the April, I will focus my energies on getting my calories back on track by stopping the approach that all food is good food and that I can eat anything in moderation ... because for me, when it comes to anything containing a wheat flour, added sweetness, or is a cured, there is no moderation. So I will be abstaining from cold cuts, candy, baked goods.

Today, I am shutting down my computer and won't turn it back on until Wednesday ... if I can last that long.
    Niki
    Follow through with consistent focus.

PS ... @skinnyjeanzbound ... love the photos of you and Laurie! You gals are so beautiful and fit looking! I want to look more like you than me!!!!
  • jaded33jade
    Options
    Afternoon everyone. I have been laying down most of the morning trying to relax my back. I felt ok when I got up until I sat down and went to get up. Go figure. Anyway upon weighing myself I have lost 2.8lbs. 12lbs so far. (Happy dance) I'm still not able to do much on the lines of exercise but I do wear a tracker. Through the day of my regular routine I normally walk a mile. So I will keep doing what I'm doing until I can do more.
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    @RobinsEgg I wish you all the best in doing what is best for you - spend time in the "real" world doing those things that make you happy. If what that is isn't clear yet, then find something that is at least interesting. We are real people, but we are a poor substitute for human contact and interactions. Life needs balance.

I had a great weekend back home - three days to cram in a baby shower, dinner with my sister's family, hang out with friends, and spend some time with my daughter and the grands. All of the above activities involved food and adult beverages and so much talking I can barely speak today. I got home around eleven last night ready to fall straight in to bed, but it was worth every minute.

Unfortunately, I have passed on the chubby gene to both my daughter and my granddaughter. The pediatrician is particularly concerned because the almost seven year old has gained seven pounds in the last year while only growing about one inch taller. I have no idea how you go about limiting calories for a little kid without causing issues with self-image and self-esteem. Increasing activity shouldn't be that difficult, but limiting food intake is tougher. Anyone have any experience with this? I would do almost anything I could to spare her the same lifetime of struggle. She is amazingly self-confident right now, and I don't want to see that fade away.