Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm new here. Well not new to MFP, but to this thread. I've been on MFP for a while now, but just can't seem to get the motivation I need. I have good intentions, but up to now have only thought about what I need to do, and haven't actually done anything about it. Well my hubby and joined a gym and yesterday was our first day. It felt great!!!! Combined we probably need to lose about 300 lbs. I know it will take effort (and in my case baby steps). I recently had a knee injury that I am recovering from. I am so motivated and excited, but at the same time worried that my husband will kick butt and lose a ton of weight while I'm slowing losing a pound here or there. Does anyone else feel that way?
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It's FRIDAY!!! It's here! I can see the end in sight... oh wait a minute, I have to work tomorrow morning. False alarm. At least it is only a half day.

I'm terrible at answering posts, making personal comments - I really do read, laugh, cry, empathize, sympathize, celebrate, and commiserate appropriately, I promise!

This week I have been on the hunt for some warmer weather clothes because I am going to a convention in Florida next week. Yesterday I was on a quest for denim capris or bermuda/skimmer length shorts and wandered in to Kohl's on my lunch break. I ventured out of the "women's" department for the first time ever, and I swear it was like going to a foreign country - I've never shopped anywhere else on the floor and I felt about the same way as I did when I got lured into the American Girl store in NYC: a little dazed by the huge variety of choices! It was too much, I didn't have enough time to explore, I didn't buy anything. Maybe I'll go back this evening and give it another try.
  • SHALLON1979
    SHALLON1979 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would just like to throw this out there. It will apply to some people but not all people and remember that tone can't be conveyed in writing, so please don't take offense. This can be a touchy subject for some people but not for others. Those of us that feel compelled to eat, binge on a regular basis, starve ourselves just to binge for a week later, can't find the motivation to do what we need to or should do to get healthier; maybe we should entertain the idea of seeing a psychologist. NO, YOU ARE NOT CRAZY. I see one for the mental aspect of this journey and it has been a blessing. Best of all, you don't have to specify with anyone why you want a referral to one, and all insurance companies (that I know of) cover the cost. Just something that has really helped me and something to chew on for everyone else. I am proud of the progress that you all and I are making, but the way I see it, I'll take all the extra help I can get because losing 100+ lbs isn't exactly easy and can affect us mentally and emotionally as much as it does physically. Happy Friday Everyone.
  • Mandylee29
    Mandylee29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ready to start my weight loss journey...again. I need to redefine my relationship with food. Looking for motivation and support.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Hello to all the recent posters to this thread ... hope you don't mind the tern "newbie" that we often float around here when we greet you. We do want to get to know you and support you on your journey ... it's our journey as well. Stop back as often as you like ... daily is ok, watever helps you keep the focus in front of you about what yoy are working to accomplish.

AFM .. I don't have my goal set to my 'should be' weight, instead I have it set for the weight that will have me be out of the obese categories. It's a struggle I've been dealing with for many years, for many reasons why ... but I know that there is one abiding reason ... I have and still do eat more than I use up. Calories in - calories out.

If I were to get back down to the weight I was when I was at my 'finest', it would be another 120 pounds to go ... however that is not my goal ... to be real slender. My goal is to be light enough so that I can buy regular sized clothes instead of woman plus size. My goal is to be strong enough to go for long walks, cut my grass instead of hiring it out, and have the energy to keep my house and grounds neat and tidy, and pretty. My goal is to be healthy enough so that I don't have to take as many medications in my future. My goal is to be able to fit comfortably into the tiny airplane seats so I can fly to far-off places.

@SHALLON1979 ... your suggestion that more of us who 'need' to lose weight consult a psychologist is actually a good one. A lot of what we have to go through is behavior modification to replace the actions we do which brought us to this place and time with more healthful ones. It's also about habits and compulsions, emotions and self-love, or lack of it in some cases. It's also about being accountable and responsible. And, for some of us, it's dealing and coping with physical health issues or illnessess that affect our ability to do what we must do in order to have the bodies we want. That's a multitude of 'things' and some of them are too deep or buried or difficult for us to manage on our own ...

Follow through with Consistent Focus
    Niki
  • LC_libra
    LC_libra Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!

Welcome new people, I still consider myself a new poster too. I read often posts but rarely get time to respond or post myself. But it's still nice to hear about the community of people on the same journey. I've lost a little over 20 pounds so far. It's about a pound and a half a week usually. I try and get most of my carbs from vegetables and bake with nut flours and eat shirakati noodles when I want pasta. I also switched to truvia instead of sugar. It has gone well, more like substituting instead of cutting out the foods I like. I track exercise with my Fitbit and I plan to eventually get to the gym. Everyone has their own methods of getting in shape but that's been mine.

This weekend I'm baking a cake and decorating it. Then hosting a b-day party for a good friend of mine. It's nice to host so I can be sure to have a menu that works. Wish me luck! Have a great weekend!

Oh and to the post about therapy helping weight loss, I think it's a great idea. I've gone before and it really helped me to accept setbacks and set plans for the future.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I ran over my calorie goal at dinner because I made two stupid logging errors, and it's really hard not to beat myself up over it. Even though I know for a fact that in the long run, 70 calories doesn't amount to a hill of beans, I still feel stupid about it because I'm trying so hard to stick to the plan.
  • Jonathan_4
    Jonathan_4 Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I want my fitness pal friends to compare dairies! Please add me! I need to loose over 170lbs totals
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Welcome Newlings!!! its a long, interesting and bumpy road - spend the time you really want to be munching here until you get things under control! Pour out your heart and we'll listen and give you feedback!

Sorry I haven't been around for so long. "LIFE" got into the way, with my step-mom back into the hospital, where they decided they wouldn't keep her and sent her back waaaaay too early , so you know I've been at her bedside taking shifts with my Dear step-sister. She's better again. This long slow journey is a nail biter. The major blessing is I have become so close to my step sister and I just love her so much and she says she loves me. She gives me all the love of a true sister that I've been missing in my own family.

Kaye - what a gorgeous Bathroom - I have shower envy - I want those shower shelves - no more smashed toes frm dropped shampoo bottles!!!

Tom Morgori !!!!! I'm GREEN over your St Patty's Day Beard!

AFM: I"m doing well on the protein challenge, leaving the bun behind on my sandwiches.
    I'm going to attempt taxes this weekend. The screaming sound out of the midwest is Me.

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Saturday Success ... I walked for over 45 minutes today. It was not on the sidewalk or in a gym ... but at the town's Senior Center, and then at a store, the parking lots and such ... but I count it as exercise anyway because I was holding myself erect and walking, carrying heavy packages, and too breathless to carry on a conversation ... yes, my health has suffered over the winter ... way to much sitting in front of the computer every day. I've talked about this before, and it is still a form of activity that has got me hooked. I can certainly understand my young nephews and teenaged granddaughter being tied to their smart phones and gaming stations on their computers or TV's. And I don't approve of it for myself any more than I do for them. This habit is not doing anything to improve my heart's strength ... so no wonder I am experiencing heart failure symptoms ... poor old thing is so out of shape from my lack of aerobic exercise.

Don't mean to sound glum, I really feel 'matter of fact'.

So .. all you young'uns (anyone under 60 years old) ... get your ***ss in gear and get real about losing weight and moving around more ... the moving around isn't totally necessary for weight loss because you can do that with a calorie intake deficit ... but you need it for you body's well being. Nuff said ... off my band stand.
    Follow Through with Consistent Focus
    Niki
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Karen- I may send Brian a text encouraging him to join us for dinner at least. Thanks for the update for the weather. My area had a mix of snow flurries, rain today and tomorrow. I hope Chicago will be in the 50's. I ran a 5K today and it was in the 40's so on the cold side especially along the water. I was happy with the run today, since it was a last minute option to run it and it served as an endurance run. I did complete it in 41:51 so it works as a prep for the Shamrock Shuffle.

This was a busy week but productive. I am now on Spring break and the start of spring is tomorrow. Tomorrow should be a rest day but I will go to the gym for some exercise.

Have a great Sunday.

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @laurie-- Nice job on the 5k. My friend and I did a combo of walking and running at her pace since she doesn't normally run. We finished in about 50 minutes which she was happy with. She said it was the most she's ever run of a 5k. :) Congrats on making it to Spring Break!! I've got 4 days to go.

@robin-- glad you are forging such a bond with your step-sister. Taxes. Ugh. Something I need to take care of over Spring Break as well.

AFM-- Had fun at the beer run, but learned that running and drinking beer don't mix well for me. I really didn't feel good afterwards. Got home and took a 2 hour nap.

Today is a low-key grading day.

Grading Goals:
    1. 59/59 JRP outlines DONE
    2. x/41 AP essays
    3. 11/41 Wuthering Hts journals

Fitness Goals for the month of March:
    I will run 3x/week and at least 1 5k/week
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = 2/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish twice with no walking breaks: 1/2
    I will run an 8k three times: 1/3

Stretch legs after each run = 6/6

You vs Year Challenge:
    113k done/ 887k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE
    Wed-- rest day
    Thurs-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Fri-- walk gunner DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner NOT DONE + run 5k DONE
    Sun-- walk gunner
    Mon-- walk gunner + gym
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    Happy First Day of Spring Everyone! this is such a happy day for me - there's no turning back as far as I"m concerned Spring is here. In Nebraska, this usually mean's we'll get at least 6 -8 more weeks of frighteningly cold, windy, miserable weather! But as I head out each day clad in my ugly but warm puffy coat, its dull brown color, so old and drab, I will be smiling broadly at everyone with spring cheer! Birds will make nests and greening up will be happening under the leaves. YOU CAN"T HOLD ME DOWN!!!!!

@Nikion - oh, my dear, you say you are experiencing heart failure symptoms, and that worries me loads. No tell me is heart failure a diagnosis you carry? It is a frightening diagnosis and living alone with is would be awful. My heart goes out to you what ever the case may be. I feel close to you, and darn it, this forum seems to put boundaries in our ways. But, walking 45 min the other day was good, and if you keep that up at least 3 times a week you will steadily improve. You can do this much better than your previous plans to control every issue in your life.

As far as spending too much time on the computer, why not be scientific about it. What would you be doing if you weren't on the puter? Watching TV? or getting very important chores done? Well, start my logging computer time, hours of the day - log in and log out and do that for a week. See where it impedes with real life. THen cut back. If you cat has to wait to be fed maybe thats an issue... would be in my house, LOL.

@Lauri and @Skinnie - have a great time at the Shamrock Race. I'll think of you gals. Sorry this year didn't work out for me.

My EMG was last THursday. The neurologist who performed the test was coy about the results, He said my Primary Doc would get them and I should make an appt with him to get the results. But the neurologist did say there definitely something wrong with the nerves in my legs, but not to worry as its not too bad. OK THANKS. LOL. BUT I have been seeping water (edema) from my right leg from each pinhole he made ever since THursday. A ton of water, like it soaks my cloths, fills my shoes etc. I'll bet I lose an inch circumference in that leg by the time I see my primary doc. He denied I had major swelling in that leg 3 weeks ago. I'm going to laugh in his face.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Happy first day of Spring. The weather today did not suggest spring since it was a wintery mix with a cold rain that wanted to fall. Hopefully, this week will warm up so I can enjoy the break.

Goals for the week
    Sunday- gym easy workout- Done
    Monday- I might swim but mostly walking around DC
    Tuesday- Trainer workout
    Wednesday- bike ride
    Thursday- gym or bike outdoors or run
    Friday- climbing
    Saturday- bike

• KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I haven't been online. I have had three surgeries since December and I lost my beloved husband on March 1. This is the first day I have even felt like getting up and doing anything. Went and did a walk thru of a house I am getting ready to put on the market. It still needs a lot of work but I will only have one day this week to work on it. My alarm system has been going off at the oddest hours. Apparently the sensor in the hall isn't working but it is very disconcerting to have it go off when I am upstairs in the shower. Alarm company is coming out tomorrow to check it out.

Hopefully I will go to bed at a decent hour tonight and get up in the morning and go to water aerobics.
    I have been sleeping so much that my hips are beginning to hurt. Getting active again will benefit me.

At least I have a lot to do in getting taxes ready for filing, getting two rental houses ready to put on the market and getting this home ready to be put on the market. This 3 story house is too much for me and it is in a rural area in a family neighborhood. I need to be in an active adult community or at least where there are other people in the same position I am in. And I need to be closer to my church. I haven't established a church home her because we summered in New York and that is a massive undertaking being away 6 months at a time.

I will go back to New York this summer, but probably only for a month or so. My in-laws are next door and Jim's children and I are planning a Memorial Service for Jim, so his family and friends up North can say goodbye.
    I miss him so much, but I am so grateful for the brief time I had him. They were the happiest days of my life. We never had a disagreement and every day was a day filled with laughter and sharing.

I weighed today and was surprised that I had not lost weight because I haven't really had an appetite. I stayed the same. I have been on steroids for asthma so maybe that had something to do with it. Ready to start my eating plan tomorrow. Started back on vitamins today.

• Dance_Nina_Bee
    Dance_Nina_Bee Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My heart goes out to you. Give yourself permission to feel and channel that energy how you like. Allow yourself to take all the time you need. It's okay to be easy on yourself during this time. You're doing amazing. I love your energy. Keeping you in my prayers. Xo Nina
  • RobinsEgg
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @KJeffries - gosh Kaye, what a sad, sad ending to a true love story. I am so upset for you. You seem to have pulled yourself together to have written your post to share this news of yours. Bless you. This community is always here for you. Like you said, you only had short time, but it sounds like it was wonderful....to love someone like you did and to have that love returned is such a blessing in one's life. I'm sure Jim's love surrounds you to this day and will surround you evermore. My sincere sympathy, and many hugs.

@Dance_Nina - what wise words...

@Badnoodle - I hate to see you beat yourself up. This whole effort shouldn't be stressful. Please don't worry about messing up like that. Try to develop an attitude where this is more fun and mistakes like that are silly and let yourself laugh it off. It will make this whole journey a lot easier to bear! :)

@LC_Libra - great post. you've got a good method and attitude. congrats on the 20lb loss so far. that deserves a shout out! woot!!!! Way to go planning the party at home. Take a snap of the birthday cake and post it. I'd love to see it. Its nice to SEE cake, rather than eat it. o:)

AFM: couldn't eat much yesterday and went to breakfast at Panera's today and only ate 1/2 of a ginormous cinnamon roll, so I am feeling proud of that - it took some doing! I need protein now.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @katrena-- Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your husband. I remember when you went through your divorce, how stressful that was, and then you found Jim and it turned your life around. I'm glad you got the time you did with him; as Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "It is not the length of life, but depth of life." I know your love with him was deep though it was not as long as you would have wished. I am sending hugs your way as you mourn this loss. <3
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Katrena~I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear husband. You have been through so much. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. :heart:
  • AStiffler33
    AStiffler33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! This looks like a supportive thread so I thought I would jump in. I recently hit my highest weight ever, 245, and realized that somehow I have 100 lbs to lose. I am a stress eater and I know the next few months are going to be quite stressful (changes with my foster children and buying a house/moving), so I am trying to take control now and not when I have gained another 20 lbs. I lost 20 last year then gained it back plus another 20. I started exercising about a week ago but this is only day 2 of calorie counting and the first few days are the hardest for me.