Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

@badnoodle-- Congrats on the 50-day streak! I had planned to get come spring cleaning done in my flower beds, but the weather really isn't cooperating here in Chicago.

@gene-- welcome to the thread! Congrats on the fresh start and 14 lb loss so far. I think most of us on this thread have done the lose/gain thing in the past. The nice aspect of this group is that even when I'm not making great progress on my goals, it keeps me from completely backsliding and gaining back the 60 lbs I've lost so far. Come back often and we will get to know you.

@niki-- I've been there with the insomnia. I've suffered from it for as long as I can remember. Most nights I can manage 6 hours of sleep, but every once in awhile I just can't get to sleep regardless of how tired I may be. I hope you get a better night's rest tonight.

@libra-- wow, what a fabulous cake! We had another cake decorator in the thread, but she hasn't posted recently.

@celtik-- An Easter with no candy! That, my dear, is heroic will power. Cadbury need not worry about revenues; I ate enough candy for several human beings.

AFM-- DH took today off of work to continue with the plumbing project. I was in and out all day grading, blood donation, more grading, then dinner at a friend's. Please don't think I abandoned him-- he prefers to have the house to himself when he's working. I just stopped home a few times to let the dog out and to see if he needed anything. When I finally made it home about 9 pm, he was on a dinner break with plans to go back down in the crawl and tackle the remainder. He looked exhausted, so I suggested he call it a night and get some rest b/c he has to work tomorrow and then finish it after work tomorrow. I was actually surprised that he listened and went to bed.

So status quo on the water situation meaning I will have to go to the gym tomorrow for sure b/c I will need to use the shower there. It will have to be a slow, easy run since I gave blood and my blood oxygen levels won't have fully recovered.

Only 14 more essays-- hooray!!

Grading Goals:
    1. 27/41 AP essays
    2. x/41 AP Lit Theory papers

Fitness Goals for the month of March:
    I will run 3x/week and at least 1 5k/week
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = 2/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 4 = 2/3 runs, 1/2 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish twice with no walking breaks: 1/2
    I will run an 8k three times: 1/3

Stretch legs after each run = 8/8

You vs Year Challenge:
    121k done/ 879k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Tues-- walk gunner + gym
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- rest
    Sat-- rest
    Sun-- Shamrock Shuffle 8k with Laurie!!
    Mon-- walk gunner
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Just a quick check in:

Pipe repairs are still in progress. House is a disaster. Crossing my fingers that he finishes soon.

I finished all of my grading for the quarter. Now if I can make a nice dent in the Lit Theory papers, I will be ahead of the game.

Grading Goals:
    1. 41/41 AP essays DONE
    2. x/41 AP Lit Theory papers

Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = 2/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 4 = 3/3 runs, 1/2 5k

Stretch legs after each run = 9/9

You vs Year Challenge:
    124 k done/ 876 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Fri-- rest
    Sat-- rest
    Mon-- walk gunner
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    So ... who on here has heard of the group OMAD Revolution ... it's a group of people on MFP who are trying, and in some cases are being successful at losing weight by limiting their food intake to one meal within a set window of feeding opportunity a day. One plate of food, stringent caloric deficit. I knew people who ate only one meal a day, don't know if it was because of weight issues or something else. I think I might have tried something like that somewhere in the past 50-some years but think I might have disliked the over-full sensation of consuming all my calories in one sitting.

Still ... if you have or do this, or know someone who is, I'd be interested in hearing the story.
  • Gene81972
    Gene81972 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    So ... who on here has heard of the group OMAD Revolution ... it's a group of people on MFP who are trying, and in some cases are being successful at losing weight by limiting their food intake to one meal within a set window of feeding opportunity a day. One plate of food, stringent caloric deficit. I knew people who ate only one meal a day, don't know if it was because of weight issues or something else. I think I might have tried something like that somewhere in the past 50-some years but think I might have disliked the over-full sensation of consuming all my calories in one sitting.

Still ... if you have or do this, or know someone who is, I'd be interested in hearing the story.

I think it's good but eat a larger amount of calories. If you reduce calorie intake drastically and right away it's hard to sustain and you'll reset your body's set point.

This is a type of intermittent fasting. Which has many health benefits besides weight loss. Three years ago I lost 70 pounds using it and one of the mistakes I made was cutting calories too much too soon so I hit significant plateaus and I eventually fell off.

I using a form of intermittent fasting now where I consume all my calories for the day within a feeding window of about 5-7 hours depending on my crazy work schedule.
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Read a little about OMAD - I suppose there might be some merit, but I would need to see the science in order to be convinced. I tend to shy away when the advocates for something are also offering themselves as motivational speakers, or are so fanatical it borders on creepy. I feel like maybe it is the level of discipline necessary to follow the plan that makes people successful. If you only eat once a day there is no opportunity to snack or binge your way in to extra calories.

For me, meals are as much of a social experience as they are a way to provide my body with nutrition. I can't imagine myself showing up at brunch on Saturday and telling everyone I won't be eating with them because it isn't the right time of day. I have enough to do re-educating the friends and relations who continue to offer food even after I have said "no thank you" three or four times.

On the up side - at least OMAD doesn't look like it would be injurious to one's health.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Thanks @Gene81972 and @celtikgirl for your input.

I'm not certain I could actually follow such an eating plan for a couple of reasons, one being that I would be concerned what a big meal would do to my blood glucose control ... and another being that I might be real bitchy from being hungry most of my day (and I'm that more than enough already!) ....

However, I naturally don't eat more than 2 meals and possibly one snack in a day ... if I have a late breakfast/early lunch as my first meal and can wait the 6 or so hours to dinner I usually get by with just 2 meals. However if I eat an early dinner I will want a snack before bedtime.

In looking for information about this topic, I stumbled along on some information about how long it takes food to travel through your digestive tract - on average. I found the stomach is 50% emptied in about 3 hours and totatally empty in about 5 ... and that would coincide with how often I currently want to eat.

Also, like you said, Celtikgirl ... I would also not be able to follow this on days where I am in a social eating setting.

Still ... I might give it a try for a few days or a couple of weeks and see how everything I have concerns over work out.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'd probably murder someone with the first couple of days. I'm only able to feel comfortably full on low calorie if I eat something every 2-3 hours that I'm awake.
  • jaded33jade
    jaded33jade Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I have recently came back to try again. Medical issues have caused me to gain more weight than ever before. I have lost 9lbs in the past week or so but I have a lot more to go. But I have had to delete some friends because they stopped logging in. I am trying to add more friends that are more supportive. I do log in everyday. I have been looking for friends that want or need to loose close to the same amount as I do, not to mention people that are serious about loosing weight. Please feel free to add me.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Hi @jaded33jade ... hope you find the supportive friends you are seeking.

Sometimes it does feel like I am hanging out there all on my own with my weight loss struggles ... and truth be told, it is all on me whether I succeed at this or not ... but that is one reason why I love to come to this thread to post. It's a reaching out and sharing with others who know my struggles because they are or have been in the same sort of place with their own stuggle. I know that the folks who come back here time and time again are reaching out as well. And, just as I feel like offering encouragement to them when they write here, I know that's how they feel toward me when they write. ... so come and ride this lonely yet crowded journey along with us.

and PS ... logging in everyday is a good habit if it helps to make you mindful of what you are eating ... and of how much. Be patient with yourself on this road. Sometimes it's our impatience that throws us off track.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hooray--the pipes are fixed!! DH finished early this morning. I felt so bad for him b/c he had to get up and go to work this morning. He actually ended up oversleeping, but I had set my alarm just in case and woke him in time.

I spent today catching up on dishes and laundry. Tomorrow I have a pedicure appt and also hope to get some grading done before I pack for my weekend in the city with Laurie.

Grading Goals:
    1. x/41 AP Lit Theory papers

Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = 2/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 4 = 3/3 runs, 1/2 5k

Stretch legs after each run = 9/9

You vs Year Challenge:
    124 k done/ 876 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE
    Fri-- rest
    Sat-- rest
    Mon-- walk gunner
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I just stumbled upon here... and thought i'd check it out! :)

I recently just moved out on my OWN, own... and am having a really hard time with it. I am a homebody, anyways, but this is out of my comfort zone. I have lost a lot of friends and it has taken a toll on me (the ones that aren't really your friends.. but you don't see it until after the fact). With anxiety and low self-esteem, it is a whole lot of being hard on myself (why doesn't anyone like me, what is wrong with me, etc.), I knew I needed to do something. So here I am, again. I did Weight Watchers and lost 40lbs... but life happened and I slacked, so now I have 65lbs to lose!! The place that I am living is a huge complex, lots of room to walk and it has an outdoor pool! I can walk to the movie theatre, store, etc. I am super excited to do that when the weather gets warmer.

So I do have anxiety, probably some depression, the bds (the body issue), introverted, worrier, etc. Yay, flaws! On this journey I am hoping to discover how to love myself and how other people see me (I am my own worst enemy!). Sometimes I do really good and other times the wagon is so far away that I just can't keep up. This weekend I should be all settled into my place, with groceries bought and it'll be go time! :)

I will continue to read old posts and get more inspired.

I have a few 5k's coming up in the next couple of months that I am excited for, because I really just do them for the t-shirts!!

Happy Friday, everyone!!
  • jaded33jade
    Options
    @Nikion901 I agree I also feel I'm on my own. I try not to get sidetracked though. I do also like offering encouragement to others and reading about others progress. It's a good thing to see I'm not alone with things I go through. Logging everyday does help me because I can see what I'm eating better. If I don't log I have found I just eat at random and not really care. So far I do like this thread. :smile:
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    So WOW, I finally caught up. I have had a really hard time being motivated, not walking or watching what I eat, and have gained back 10 lbs. Still under 200 thank goodness, but so close it's scary. I need to get back into taking care of myself. Today is the first day of the rest of my life, and I will take care of myself today. So far so good, logged all my food (now to keep from eating after I get home, that's the trick)! and am under calories for now. I'll be taking lunch here in about 30 minutes and plan to walk over to the gym and work out for a few minutes, haven't been in months. I thought I missed the big Chi-town race but I guess that's this weekend? Good luck to everyone. DH is stable and doing fairly well, his pulmonologist put him on a maintenance dose of Prednisone so his breathing has stabilized and he's not having too much problems. Life is cruising along.
    Tracy
    TX
  • jaded33jade
    Options
    @GOINSTD12 I have the same problem sometimes. For me it's late at night, (like right before bed) I get to feeling like I want something to eat. I know I'm not hungry but I still want it. I started making sure to give myself a little leeway and make sure I still have some calories by the late evening so I'm able to have a small something. It helps.

I have a hard time exercising at all. It's really painful. I have pain all the time due several different things. But getting to the point. I wear a copper fit tracker, and today I took my son to the mall to look for something and when we left 20min later I checked the tracker and found we had walked a mile inside the mall. I did have a hard time with and an even harder time getting in the truck. But I did it. :smiley:
  • Nikion901
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hey everyone ... it's April Fools Day today ... hope no one plays any tricks on you today ... those pranks sometimes are not fun at all!

Since is the first of the month ... it's check in time for myself even though that normally happens on a Monday (Tuesday for a second weigh-in for the Amazing Race Challenge I'm registered into that runs until May) ... Well ... March started out ok, but then it fell apart. I sometimes think I have some sort of evil twin inside my brain who wants to see me fail at everything I do ... but that's a topic for a shrink, not for MFP pals ... it's just that sometimes when I decide to do one thing, I find myself doing the opposite. My sis told me once she has a similar thing happen sometimes ... I remember her telling me once that she didn't want to share with anyone her decision to try something different or new because when she did, she experienced the same kind of phenomenon that I just complained about!

But, before I do my check-in ... @GOINSTD12, I'm glad to see you posted today and hope you come back often. Also glad that your hubbs is stable with that COPD for now. Prednisone is used for so many inflammatory illnesses ... it's a hard drug on the system, but sometimes the only thing that will work. Thank God I haven't had to be on it for the past few years.

@jaded33jade ... thanks for the MFP friend request ... however, I prefer to keep my friendships thread based cause I use my home page for private notes to myself. Please lets get to know one another on here, ok? Thanks again.

So ... March results
    I had a whole lot of goals for March ... so many that it was overwhelming me, and like I said, the month started out good but went down hill.

The nutrition goals had been to have net cals of 1611 with a 40/30/30 macro percentage split ... Well, I was right on the first half of the month and then the "Ides of March" hit and I over ate most days. ... I also started to fool around with my calorie and maco goal instead of just waiting it out for the month. Ended up that I overage by enough calories on the average to have gained a pound a week instead of losing. And, surprise, surpise, half of that gain was during the weeks I was eating at goal ... go figure. Anyway, this mornings weight has me up a whole 5 pounds over what I was on March 1st. ... depressing to say the least, but not surprising. On the positive side, I have been successful in increasing my protein intake from it has traditionally been ... and I secretly wonder if it's those extra protein grams that sent me into a spin. Maybe I'm one of those people who does better on a more vegetarian diet.

Fitness goals for March had been ...
    RobinEgg's Ankle Strengthening challege ... pooped out
    30-Day squat challenge ... pooped out
    Amazing Race challenge .... still in it but pooping out

Personal goals for the month were also a wash.
    The house's spring cleaning is still a work in progress
    The bushes did get cut back, but the naturalized weedy growth around the perimeter is still standing.
    The indoor seed starting hasn't started.
    Meal plans? What's that?

So, for April I am going back to basics for my goals ... along the lines of "KISS" ... keep it simple, stupid.
    In April I will
    1 Log all my meals and exercise in MFP
    2 Work on improving my diet by focusing on just one aspect at a time
    3 Finish the housecleaning and spring yard work ... in between the rain-drops (we are forecaste to almost daily rain until mid-month)
    4 Focus on trimming away that recent gain to get back on track ... I still have a goal to drop 50 pounds this year!

Follow through with Consitent Focus
    Niki

ps ... sorry for the typos ... but I won't go back and fix em.
  • jaded33jade
    Options
    Hello everyone. I hope you all have had lots of laughs this April Fool's day. I played a n April Fools joke on my boys. I got some Krispy Kream donuts and extra boxes. I put a veggie platter in one and fruit platter in the other. It was sooo funny to watch their faces. I was nice though I told them were the donuts were. We had a good laugh.

I have just snacked a bit on the veggies and having trouble getting close to the calorie mark today. Just not really hungry I guess. I got a bit closser when I ate spaghetti O's for dinner... Not the healthiest thing I could have eaten but it was good.

I am paying for all that walking yesterday. I have had ice on my lower back, put pain cream, and taken all meds and even some pain reliever; but nothing is touching this pain. I really don't know what to do about it. I may have to contact the dr about the severeness of the pain. :'( I am hoping it will ease off my tomorrow.

I hope everyone is having a great day today. Peace and Love
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @jaded33jade - Sorry you're in such pain. Have you tried Voltaren? My sister and brother swear by it. I work late evenings, so I don't get home until around 1 am. Because my hubs is disabled and I'm his only caregiver, I fix him breakfast before I leave around 2:30 pm, then he snacks for the rest of the day until I get home, when I then make him dinner, usually around 2 am. Very unhealthy for both of us, but what can I do? He has to eat something nutritious besides the snacks (powdered donuts, chocolate, peach cups, honeybuns, Ritz, etc). And of course when I cook for him it's near impossible not to eat something too, though I take my full day food with me to work. I think I'm just going to start skipping "dinner" altogether and just save it for when I get home. I usually end up eating 3-4 things by the time I go to bed, adding around 400 calories or more to my daily total. I know I need to do something but it's so hard not to eat after I get home... I get stressed then also and the urge to eat increases. We usually go to bed around 4-5am, then I get back up at noon and start all over again. <Sigh> We do have a HHC person that comes 4 days a week, but only for 2 hrs a day and she mostly just cleans. I try to get hubs to let her help him with his exercise and meds but he really doesn't want to.
    @Nikion901 - Yes, he's much more stable now, but the Dr said this is a "last resort" so I don't really know what that means. At least he's feeling fairly good right now, I just have to take it day by day. We don't see her again until September so.....
    @skinnyjeanzbound - I read your post about your "skinny jeans" now being your "fat jeans" - what a victory! Yes you might not have met your goal and you might be yoyo-ing right now, but still, you have to keep your accomplishments in mind along with any perceived failures.
    @Robinsegg - I missed you all. Sorry I was gone so long. Sorry too that you aren't going to make it to Chicago, and I hope that your tests are not bad news.

AFM: I thought I was losing my gym membership as they discontinued the special program they had for employees at my workplace ($100/each/yr in groups of 5) but since they made that decision after people already started renewing, they have decided to extend it another year and then end it next year. Yay! Sure wasn't looking forward to having to pay 3x the price!

April goals:
    Get back on track, track my food every day.
    Gym 2x a week in Apr, 3x in May
    Walking 1x/day for 30 minutes on off-gym days, 1x/day for 15 on gym days.
    Stretching exercises concentrating on the BC side every day (I'm so stiff still! after 2 years!)

Ideally, get back to 189 by May 1st - that's 10 lbs, but I'll take ANY loss as a victory.

Tracy
    TX
  • kayla201453
    kayla201453 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I've just started back with myfitness
    Tuesday. I've really been struggling a long time and it's taken me a long time to get started up again. I know I have to do this to start feeling better. I have 100 pounds to lose.
    I remember years ago it sure helps to post stuff and read stuff others are going through. I'm glad I found this community. Have a great weekend, Kayla
  • jaded33jade
    Options
    @GOINSTD12 - No I have never heard of Voltaren, but I am currently taking Lyrica. I have just started it though. My normal pain comes with fybrio-myliga and a few other things. The pain I am in right now is due to over doing it.. basicly my own fault because I knew better. But thank you for caring :smile:
    Just wondering if you have tried making premade meals for your hubby. Kinda like a packed lunch. He could just pop it in the microwave and have a good meal while your out. Just wondering.

@kayla201453 - I understand what your going through. Starting up again my self. I have also recently came back. I have got to get this weight off this time. It's proably the only medical problem I have I can do something about.

• MrWufpack
    MrWufpack Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd like to offer my encouragement (feel free to add me) to anyone facing this challenge. In 2010, I was 260 and my goal was 160. I got down to 190 by 2011 just by counting calories. Shortly after, I rebounded to 225 and stayed there. While I wasn't as big as before, it was still unhealthy; but I rationalized it. Then, I had a health scare in January and it put things in perspective for me. I mostly cut sodium; sugar, except for once a week I have a vanilla latte; reduced stress; began walking, and then running (just finished c25k and continuing with c210k). I'm starting bodyweight training next week. I've mostly quit playing video games and usually go for a walk when I'm bored. I'm now down to 191 and still have a final goal of 160. That said, I'm happy to have my health and finally view weight loss as a result of changing my habits (I now like veggies because I don't dump salt on. I no longer look at these changes as a temporary "diet."

I say all this to illustrate that it's a journey, and not to get discouraged when you have ups and downs. Just try to have more ups than downs (mood-wise lol), and learn from the failures.