Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Hi all :) new to this thread, but I'm pretty active on MFP in general. I'm 80ish pounds down, about 40 to go. Is it cool to be a part of this group or is it strictly for 100 pounds *more* to lose?
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I fall into the free food trap all the time. But what my best friend told me is, "just because it's free doesn't mean you have to eat it. Bring your own lunch just like you normally would."

I tend to think "would I have bought that for myself?" If the answer is no, I don't take it. Or I'll take it, but I give it to someone else.
    Bringing my own lunch is working OK, we shall have to see how it continued.

@wadwrich I feel the same way about a lot of foods that other people can handle in moderation. I don't want one slice of cake. I want an entire cake. And frosting. And ice cream. And that pizza, while you're at it. It's terrible. :(

I put my money where my mouth was with my goals for the week. I went to the intimidating gym, and joined it. I have a training session on Friday for the lifts I want to do. I've never done them before, and I want to have correct form.

And I'm 1/3 on exercise goals.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @badnoodle-- that's awesome that you joined the gym. I think you'll find that those lifters aren't as intimidating as you fear they will be. In addition to getting the instruction on correct form, I would ask about gym etiquette. Knowing how things work in that respect will go a long way in making you feel comfortable in the environment.

@cecsav1-- You are more than welcome here. Not everyone who joins has 100 lbs to lose, or like you, no longer has that much. Congrats on your progress-- 80 lbs down is incredible!!

@kelley (kah)-- wow, just 2 weeks to your surgery! You are getting to be a pro at prepping your house and food for post-op recovery. Is the ankle surgery more or less intense that your achilles reconstruction? What is the recovery estimated to be like?

AFM-- Getting ready to take gunner out for his walk, then I need to get stuff together for our faculty Cubs trip. Those of you who are baseball fans are probably wondering how it is today when the Cubs aren't even playing. Well, we usually go to Wrigley or up to Milwaukee to watch them play the Brewers. Occasionally, we've even gone to the Cell to watch the White Sox play. This year, Chicago team schedules just didn't work for us, so we are going to Miller Stadium to watch the Brewers play Oakland. For tradition's sake, however, we always call it the Cubs trip.

Weather in nice though a little on the cool side. Hope everyone has a great day.

Fitness Goals for the month of June:
    Visit gym of run outside minimum of 10 times x/10
    Run at least 25 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    151 k done/ 849 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE but mowed the lawn and gardened
    Tues-- walk gunner
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • AlyssaAnne03
    AlyssaAnne03 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Monday Check-in ... weight stayed the same this week as it has for the past couple, but that is at a higher amount than last year at this time of year so I am concentrating on getting back down to that weight again.

I cancelled the PT appointment for today as I hurt my back somehow on Saturday ... this is a chronic conditiion, as are all my joint issues ... and I am doing my home PT moves today for the back and don't want to get into the car to drive to the clinic. When my back eases up; it's like the physician said when I told him the inflammation was starting to leave my knees and go into my shoulders ... 'we can only work on one body part at a time', so now it's the lower spine that will take priority in my day.

Sora4ever ... if I read your name real quickly, it looks like Sore 4 ever .. and that's how I feel ... sore for ever! Like trinat2001 said, don't make it too hard to follow ...

badnoodle ... You might feel better about your lunch choices if you decided that a 500-600 calorie lunch is what you will need to have since you have limited access to less caloric food. Just choose the healthiest options from whichever menu you end up selecting from ... you've probably already done this, but the nutritional values for most of the foods you encounter can be looked up ahead of time ... so you can then make a list of which ones you will most often get and call it a day.

AllysaAnne03 ... I also bought a new lipstick 'Wet and Wild' ... unfortunately, it's neither!

Tiffyrh07 ... welcome and i hope you find the friends you are seeking.

Skinnyjeanzbound ... so glad you are on summer break now. That reminds me to ask my granddaughter if she has finished up her semester yet ... she is home schooled and tends to lag behind for one reason or another.

laurie ... happy belated birthday.
    NY Niki

Try lipsense! It's amazing.
  • AlyssaAnne03
    Options
    @moody-- congrats on 6 lbs lost!! It's great to hear that those headaches have subsided; I know they were a concern. Sodium is so hard to keep down since there's so much in most processed foods. Just one slice of bread or a wrap will often put me over. I don't have any sort of blood pressure problems, and unless I go crazy and eat Chinese take away or something like that, the sodium doesn't seem to affect me much in terms of bloating and water retention, so it's one of those numbers I don't worry about too much.

Niki-- sorry to hear about your back pain. I hope it eases up quickly so you can start working on those knees. Your comments to sora and allysa cracked me up. :lol:

@trina-- great advice about the free food! I used to ALWAYS fall into that trap at work when the teachers would get a free breakfast or lunch-- for some reason teachers seem to always take what we're given, even if it's bad for us. I think it's a consequence of being in an under-appreciated profession.

@allysa-- I wish I could use a lipstick with that staying power, but my lips are so dry. I've found any of the extended wear types just make it even worse. Plus, I have a horrible addiction to chap stick, so I would just ruin those perfect lips anyways. LOL

@badnoodle-- You aren't the first person to tell me I'm crazy to find sushi filling-- I guess I'm an anomaly in that respect. Sounds like you have a great plan! During the school year, I buy those bags of frozen chicken breast tenderloins and cook up a bunch to have handy for salads or sandwiches. Maybe that would work for you.

@sara-- it's great to see you back!! Hiking is great exercise-- I wish we had more interesting places to hike near my home. As much as I love being a "flatlander" when I go out for a run, it sure makes hiking kind of boring.

Monday check-in:
    I decided to lower my calorie allowance to 1400/day. I know that sounds low, but I will be eating back all of my exercise calories. I've had my goal set at 1600 for quite awhile now and have only maintained, so I'll see what this new setting does to shake things up. I know this lower allowance will force me to be more active, and now that I'm off of work for 2 months, I really have no excuse.

Today was pretty productive day. I got the floors cleaned, and I washed the throw rugs and bedding. After that, I walked gunner, mowed the lawn, and did some weeding. I'm well under my calories b/c I logged the yard work as exercise. I may not eat back all of those calories today b/c tomorrow is our faculty Cubs trip which involves food and drinks, so I may "reserve" some of my extra for tomorrow.

Visit gym of run outside minimum of 10 times x/10
    Run at least 25 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    151 k done/ 849 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym

It's actually bonding not a stain so it's a bit different than what you might be used to :)
    I don't use it everyday but when I do I just wash it off at the end of the day using a gentle soap and then use coconut oil or Chapstick. It doesn't dry my lips out like the lipsticks I've had in the past. They have a moisturizing balm that id like to try at some point. Also using a washcloth to gently exfoliate at night helps with dryness and pealing.

It's more like a applicator style rather than a lipstick too. You can layer it to make it lighter or darker and they have a ton of different shades. They've got different glosses you can use over the colors too or by themselves.
  • AlyssaAnne03
    Options
    Lipsense video-
    http://youtu.be/ru9RyJUuLsA

This is definitely off topic but it's amazing how much a little lipstick can do for your confidence:)
  • AlyssaAnne03
    Options
    855jv43bc8hg.jpeg
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    AFM-- Getting ready to take gunner out for his walk, then I need to get stuff together for our faculty Cubs trip. Those of you who are baseball fans are probably wondering how it is today when the Cubs aren't even playing. Well, we usually go to Wrigley or up to Milwaukee to watch them play the Brewers. Occasionally, we've even gone to the Cell to watch the White Sox play. This year, Chicago team schedules just didn't work for us, so we are going to Miller Stadium to watch the Brewers play Oakland. For tradition's sake, however, we always call it the Cubs trip.

The summer after high school the Colorado Rockies had their inaugural year. I believe it was 1993 or 1994. At that time, I was so into baseball. I went to all the home games. I had two best friends and one of them had season tickets, so we went to every game together. Years later, after I'd moved from Colorado, I got nostalgic and decided to catch a Rockies game on TV. O.o Baseball on TV realllllly just isn't the same lol. There's few times I've ever been more bored in my life. I'd love to go to another live game again some day. We don't have a pro ball team here. Just minors with a name after the Simpson's lol. Enjoy your game!
  • tootsanderson
    Options
    kah68 wrote: »

@Toots ~Great to see you!

Thanks @kah68 I'll be around for at least twenty pounds haha. I really can't go to China like this. I'll be miserable. I was miserable last time and I weighed twenty pounds less than I do now! I am hoping for at least thirty, but since we have no way of knowing when we'll travel, I don't know if that's even feasible. All I can say is Chinese people are SMALL! Everything is so tiny, and REEEEAAAAAALLLLLYYY not set up for 'people of size.'

• tootsanderson
    Options
    @kah68 where do you live again? We actually do get a monsoon season in June. It lasts a week or two and we get almost all the rain we will get all year in that time. Since we're a desert, we're sort of on a different season schedule than most places. June is the full horror of the New Mexico summer and we're in the high 90s and sometimes triple digits for the first two to three weeks and then monsoon season hits and we're back down in the low 90s or even high 80s for the rest of summer. That being said, our schedule really is all whacked up compared to other states. We need AC by March, or April for sure. Summer hits hardest in June, and we're into winter by October. Spring starts in February. We just don't really have fall, and not much of a spring either. Pretty much all we've got is summer and winter.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Karen ~My surgeon said recovery should be easier than the Achilles was—it won’t be as awkward. Similarly, I will be in a cast for 6 weeks then a boot for 6 weeks, full recovery takes 4-6 months which is less than Achilles reconstruction. He said the MRI only tells part of the story, he won’t know the exact damage until he sees it first hand—so I’m prepping meals just in case he tells me I can’t put weight on it for an extended period of time (maybe then I won’t have to rely on friends/family as much :wink:). I felt like I was prepped last time, but recovery was longer and harder than I thought so seemed like I really wasn’t—this time I’ll probably be over-prepared. LOL Have fun at your "Cubs" outing! :wink:

@kah68 where do you live again? We actually do get a monsoon season in June. It lasts a week or two and we get almost all the rain we will get all year in that time. Since we're a desert, we're sort of on a different season schedule than most places. June is the full horror of the New Mexico summer and we're in the high 90s and sometimes triple digits for the first two to three weeks and then monsoon season hits and we're back down in the low 90s or even high 80s for the rest of summer. That being said, our schedule really is all whacked up compared to other states. We need AC by March, or April for sure. Summer hits hardest in June, and we're into winter by October. Spring starts in February. We just don't really have fall, and not much of a spring either. Pretty much all we've got is summer and winter.

I’m in north central Texas—we usually get really bad storms in late Spring (Apr/May) and then we are dry until the Fall but the last two weeks we’ve been hit with torrential rain. Flooding has been a problem in many areas. The sun is back this week and our temps start climbing this week as well—we’re in the 90s now, triples will start in July. We’ll fluctuate between high 90s and triples until October.

I love your new profile pic BTW, look at that growing family. Those boys look they are thriving now and you’re adding a new daughter to the mix? How exciting! I can understand completely how you feel—I’ve done some international travel and there are definitely places where I felt uncomfortable. You can do this!
  • tootsanderson
    Options
    @kah68 everything just comes in mini sizes in China and it's so dang hot. Like being in Florida. We are! Just one more girl. A lot of people continuing adopting until they literally just can't do it anymore, but we're not one of those families. We know we have limited energy as both Mike and I have autoimmune disorders and we have to budget our time and energy wisely. We realize and understand why people do this, because they've seen the inside of an orphanage and so have we and the reason is clear, but if we can't give what the kids deserve, we don't want to bring them home and we know our limits. However, we're very excited about having three girls and three boys. This sweet girl has Down Syndrome and we're learning all we can and are so pleased to be bringing home a daughter who rocks those designer genes.

North Central Texas. What's there? I've spent lots of time in Wichita Falls, San Antonio, and Lubbock. We used to live right on the West Texas/Eastern New Mexico border on the New Mexico side, and the closest big city was Lubbock (also Amarillo, but we didn't like Amarillo as much) so we went there for shopping, or sometimes if we just wanted to eat some Olive Garden haha. When I lived in Tulsa I went to Dallas a lot. But those first three cities are definitely the ones I know the best.
  • slmiller99
    slmiller99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I've been on MFP for a couple of years now and I have lost and gained the same 30 lbs several times. I really need to find a new eating plan so I can lose at least 100 lbs and KEEP IT OFF! I had a doctors appointment today and he recommended the Mediterranean Diet. I am starting to research it and was wondering if any of you have tried it?
  • wadwrich
    wadwrich Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    slmiller99 wrote: »
    Hi all, I've been on MFP for a couple of years now and I have lost and gained the same 30 lbs several times. I really need to find a new eating plan so I can lose at least 100 lbs and KEEP IT OFF! I had a doctors appointment today and he recommended the Mediterranean Diet. I am starting to research it and was wondering if any of you have tried it?

I haven't tried it, but I've been reading about it as well. I think that is going to be the model for the way I eat once I start implementing more foods back in to my diet.
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Wow, go away for three days and everyone decides to post! Took me a little while to get caught up, so here's my summary - congrats on the victories, condolences on the extra pains and impending surgeries, and welcome to the new folks. I hardly ever wear make up - maybe a new lipstick is in order to shake things up a bit!

I had a wonderful weekend at home and spent much of it holding one or the other of the new babies. The little girl is already ornery and her older (by four minutes) brother is contemplative and curious. They are only a week old, and still mostly eat and sleep. I told my niece that I think this is the plan - to make them "easy" for the first little while because if they were little jerks from the beginning, you wouldn't want to keep them.

I had all day Monday to drive the 300 miles back home, so I took the scenic route driving the back roads down through the Italy Hills/Finger Lakes region of NY. Stopped at Bully Hill and stocked up on some Sweet Walter to make "grape jelly for grown ups", sat on a rock admired the view overlooking the lake and the vineyards, and decided that maybe it is possible to get homesick even when you have lived elsewhere for almost 30 years. It is gorgeous country with good people. And winter, which might be the only reason I don't go back.

OK, now I've seen the Mediterranean Diet mentioned in several places, but I have no idea what it is, so I will need to go read and see if there are some things in there I might want to try. The Irish diet (meat, potatoes and stout) has not been successful for me, so I may as well look at another part of the world.

The bariatric surgery mentions caught my attention, not because I am considering it (too chicken) but because several of my friends and my step mom have had various versions with varying degrees of success. I know it is not maybe a right way of thinking, but one of my motivators is a determination to do as well as my successful surgery friends without the surgery. I don't know what makes me think I can do this, except determination and stubbornness. (See reference to Irish above, the other half of me is Scot.). I am all for losing weight and getting healthier any way you can, so whatever turns out to be the best choice for you is what you should do!

I spent this evening cutting grass that had been neglected for too long. It was more of a workout than usual. Tomorrow is scheduled to be at least a three mile walk, maybe four if the weather holds and I can do it outside. Any more than three miles on a treadmill and my brain rebels... it forgets to keep my feet coordinated and I become a prime candidate for america's funniest videos. Plus, I tend to hold on to the hand grips to keep my balance, and all the muscles in my back end up in knots.

Wow, that's enough from me today!
  • trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options

AFM-- Getting ready to take gunner out for his walk, then I need to get stuff together for our faculty Cubs trip. Those of you who are baseball fans are probably wondering how it is today when the Cubs aren't even playing. Well, we usually go to Wrigley or up to Milwaukee to watch them play the Brewers. Occasionally, we've even gone to the Cell to watch the White Sox play. This year, Chicago team schedules just didn't work for us, so we are going to Miller Stadium to watch the Brewers play Oakland. For tradition's sake, however, we always call it the Cubs.

Let's go Oakland!! I'm more of a giants fan but the A's are slightly closer and a lot cheaper so here's to rooting for the home team.

On to important matters...I really enjoy this board. It helps me feel like I'm connected to a community of people who are going through the same stuff that I am. I used to do WW until the new program started. I really couldn't get with the new meeting style and the way new points were calculated. Counting calories just seams so much easier.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    North Central Texas. What's there? I've spent lots of time in Wichita Falls, San Antonio, and Lubbock. We used to live right on the West Texas/Eastern New Mexico border on the New Mexico side, and the closest big city was Lubbock (also Amarillo, but we didn't like Amarillo as much) so we went there for shopping, or sometimes if we just wanted to eat some Olive Garden haha. When I lived in Tulsa I went to Dallas a lot. But those first three cities are definitely the ones I know the best.

I'm in the Dallas area--I work in Dallas but live in the suburbs about 20 miles northeast of the city.

• tootsanderson
    Options
    kah68 wrote: »

I'm in the Dallas area--I work in Dallas but live in the suburbs about 20 miles northeast of the city.

I've always been very overwhelmed by Dallas! It's just such a big and busy city.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Ooh it is chilly today, so much so that I closed all the windows yesterday and the furnace kicked in this morning for a little bit. Makes me want hot stick-to-the-ribs types food, but alas, I haven't grocery shopped this week yet and have run out of meat products except for tuna fish. Still, I managed to make myself a tuna fettucini with broccoli dinner last night. Today, with the cold house, it's cabbage and beet soup, vegetarian style ... something to warm me up inside.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @niki-- It's been on the chilly side here the past 2 days, but it's starting to warm up this afternoon. I think it's supposed to be in the 90s this weekend. :open_mouth:

@trinati-- sorry, but the Brewers beat your A's.

@celtik-- Ooh, one of each--how nice! Glad you had a good visit with your grand-niece and nephew. I laughed at your comment about the treadmill and AFV. I'm the same way if I try to run before I've been awake for a couple of hours. It's the prime reason I will never be one of those early morning gym rats.

@wadrich, celtik, and slmiller-- I love most Mediterranean foods, but my husband is the primary cook in our household and he tends to lean more toward celtik's Irish diet. Fortunately for me, I'm not a fan of white potatoes, so I just replace those with sweet potatoes. However, it does keep me from eating a lot of healthier foods I know I would enjoy. I really need to bite the bullet and learn to like cooking a bit more. :(

@toots-- congrats on working toward the adoption of your daughter! Also, a great motivator to lose that 20 lbs. You may not have control over when you will have to travel, but any progress will make the trip that much more comfortable. Regarding the baseball game, I'm really not a baseball fan at all. I find it to be the most boring sport on earth to watch-- even at the ballpark. This yearly faculty trip is pretty much the only time I ever go to a game, and even then most of us spend all of our time in the bar socializing with colleagues we never get to spend time with at work.

@allysa-- thanks for the lipsense info!

Thursday Truth:
    I went to donate blood today and the worker talked me into doing the ALYX double donation. Well, apparently in order to do that, you have to actually step on the scale there rather than just tell them your weight. It was not a fun experience since I had just eaten and drank about a gallon of water so my veins would co-operate. Their scale read exactly 200 lbs--a number I haven't seen on any scale in about 3 years. I know it wasn't my "true" weight and my scale at home still said 195 just this morning, but it still was no fun to see that number. I'm going to use it to motivate me to continue with this lower calorie allowance and more frequent gym visits.

On that topic, I finally got back to the gym yesterday. It was quite necessary since the food and beverages on our Cubs trip put me way over goal for Tuesday. I did some lifting and then a really short run, but my legs are screaming at me today, so it was definitely a workout. I did much better with food yesterday, even passing on the pizza my husband brought home for dinner b/c it wouldn't have fit in my calorie allowance.

On a different topic, does anyone have the Pivotal Living wristband? My mom got one for free from the casino, and she gave it to me. It seems pretty cool, but I'm still figuring it out. Was wondering if anyone on here is familiar with it.

Visit gym of run outside minimum of 10 times 1/10
    Run at least 1.25/25 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    153 k done/ 847 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner DONE
    Fri-- walk gunner