Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone ... it's a beautiful Saturday morning, and is already pushing on noon, yet I am not outdoors getting in the lovely morning sunshine as I do productive things outside ... that are waiting to be done! Instead, I have had my morning water, breakfast and coffee here in front of the PC, 'taking care of business' ... It's amazing how each morning I find such important got-to-do-right-now stuff on the computer that wiles away the hours! :smile: That's a topic I've struggled with plenty on here and you must be as tired of hearing me go on about it as I am of saying it.

There was an open house at one of the senior-living apartments nearby that doesn't end until 2 PM, and maybe I'll get myself out to it to look at the apartments ... though I really feel like it would be a waste of time for me as I suspect their rents are much higher than anything I can consider as doable, even with the heat and hot water thrown into the monthly cost. Still, it would be prudent of me to go take a look. Afterall, I am getting fast to the point where I won't be able to take care of my house and grounds any more at all and will need to live in a condo or apartment and hire someone to come in and clean for me. I'm just not keen on the location of the one with the open house today.

Yesterday I saw the orthopedic doctor about my knees. One had been is so much pain and inability to support me that I broke down and called for an appontment. X-rays revealed bone on bone so that's why it hurts so much. He wanted to give me a cortizone shot but I don't want any steroids because of how they affect me and asked if the gell injection that lubricates the knee was a doable option ... he needs to get insurance clearance for that shot so we will see. In the meantime, I am going back to PT for the knees and have an appointment for Monday. He was concerned over how swollen my feet and legs were and things the PT might get that pooling to subside some as well as strengthen my muscles that support the knees.

So, this is my 'Sunday Sare", done a day early cause I've determined not to log into MFP on Sunday this week and break the streak of logging in every day that I have kept up for 2 years. (gasp)

Celtikgirl ... have a safe and fun trip to 'home' ... play with the baby to your hearts' content. I'm so pleased you mentioned that you are down from a 20-24 to a 14. I an only down from a 24-22 although I do have some 20's in the closet. Haven't worn a 20 since 2003 and wonder if I really will ever get back there myself.

Badnoodle ... i took a peek at your diary and have to commend you for staying at such a low end of overall calories! No wonder you had 53 pounds to lose and have already lost 48 of them. Keep on!

neomellojenn ... good luck on your weight loss journey. I hope you find the support you are looking for. This is new for you, so just remember to take it nice and easy and slow ... meaning make little changes that you can stick to for the rest of your life and tack on as you go instead of over-doing it from the get go. In this journey, stamina and stay-with-itness is what wins the race.

skinnyjeanzbound ... thanks. for always finding something to say that includes me in this thread. It feels nice.
    So, like Kaye always says ... 'onward and downward'
    Niki
  • Tiffanylynn1024
    Tiffanylynn1024 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 100lbs too. Feel free to add me
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new folks! Come back often.

@niki-- sorry to hear about your knee pain. Hopefully the PT will give you some relief.

@badnoodle-- Do you like sushi? I saw it was an option, and it can be pretty low in calories provided you stay away from the ones that include tempura or heavier sauces. I eat and log sushi quite often, and a moderately-sized roll (6-8 pieces) usually logs between 300-400 calories. I tend to go for spicy tuna or maki, and find one roll extremely filling.

@celtik-- enjoy your trip and the visit with the new twins!! Are they boys or girls or one of each?

AFM-- I'm done with another school year! So glad to have some time to get stuff done that's just for me. Though some of it does include organizing and prepping for next year, these next couple of days are all about me and my house. Today, I ended up sleeping most of the day b/c I wasn't feeling great-- I think it might be allergies b/c my eyes have been itchy and sinuses are painful. I took a benadryl about noon and fell asleep until almost 5!! I did manage to buy some bras online (Soma is having their semi-annual sale). My order from Victoria's Secret arrived today, and I was pleased that everything I bought fits. I wan't really worried about the swim cover-ups or swimsuit bottoms, but I wasn't sure if the 2 sports bras would fit. They do and seem like they will offer great support. I will have to test them out at the gym this week.

Tomorrow I have a pedi appointment and then I'm going to hang out with a friend to help her prep for a house-warming party she's having in a couple of weeks.

Fitness Goals for the month of June:
    Visit gym of run outside minimum of 10 times x/10
    Run at least 25 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    151 k done/ 849 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner
    Mon-- walk gunner + gym
    Tues-- walk gunner
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @laurie-- Happy birthday!!!
  • Sora4ever
    Sora4ever Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I stopped using MFP for a few months and ended up gaining weight. I pretend like it doesn't bother me, but it does. I don't know why I stopped using it other than just feeling fed up that I was only maintaining despite my best efforts. I need to find a different workout/diet regimen....and stay consistent. Consistency is my biggest problem. I started hiking with my dad but only about 1-2 times a week. On days I don't hike I should walk or do fitness blender workout videos.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    @Niki Bone on bone? I can't even imagine how much that must hurt. Fingers crossed that your insurance approved the gel injection, or like skinnyjeanz, that the PT can give you some relief. :/

@skinnyjeanzbound I LOVE sushi, but unlike you, I usually don't find it very filling. If I spend all my calories on one sushi roll, I will be hungry again in about 30 minutes. I looked at the online nutrition info, and of the two rolls under 400 calories, one had only 10g of protein and the other isn't made by our franchise. I'm going to try packing a measured amount of protein and salad dressing, and having a big salad at lunch. At this point, I've got a pretty good idea of what 50 cal of tomatoes or carrots look like, and iceberg lettuce is practically zip.

Goal 1 for the next week is to gird my loins and actually check out the gym that has free weights. One of the biggest worries I have is that since I do stick to pretty low calories, that I protect my existing lean muscle. There is a Planet Fitness in town, but it's kind of out of the way for me. If there's one thing I know about myself, it's that I'm lazy and won't do something if it isn't convenient. But the other gym is the one where all the body builders/ power lifters go, and it's a little intimidating.

Goal 2 is to do some substantial exercise three days of the week - 5k jog/walk, 12 miles on the bike, or 30 minutes of active swimming. It's supposed to rain a lot this week, so that will shape my options.
  • AlyssaAnne03
    AlyssaAnne03 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    ...Some food for thought--for optimum health and organ function our bodies need a minimum of 1200 calories a day just to function.

Sorry, that is an inacurate statement. MFP doesn't want you to go below 1200 calories for a woman because below that you are probably short changing nutritional needs for vitamins and minerals. Here are a couple of good articles to read about calories, and what your body needs to just function (this varies per person and is called Basal Metabolic Rate, or Resting Metabolic Rate, which is something a bit different than BMR). You need to eat at the very least, the amount of your BMR to maintain body function ... not counting exercise or daily living, which is an add-on to the BMR amount.

The first ariticle is from Popsugar ...
    http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Why-1200-Calories-Day-Important-When-Dieting-13080864

The second is from VeryWell ...
    https://www.verywell.com/what-is-bmr-or-basal-metabolic-rate-3495380

This final article is a forum from CalorieCount ... you can find the same type of conversation in the threads here on MFP ... and actually, a very lot of debate.
    https://www.caloriecount.com/forums/weight-loss/eat-bmr-net

My step mom is a dietician and agrees with the 1200 calorie rule. No adults should diet under that without consulting their physician.
  • AlyssaAnne03
    AlyssaAnne03 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    No weighing in for me this weekend as I'm on my cycle but I can tell Ive lost more.

I bought a new lipstick, from the lipsense line. It's amazing, doesn't smudge or smear and stays strong up to 18 hours. I dyed my hair a dark purplish color and I'm feeling way more confident. Change up your makeup and hair if you're feeling tired of your look. It inspires me to get my body right so I can feel HOT!
  • trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    badnoodle wrote: »
    June is shaping up to be an interesting month. I lead new student orientation for my department, and because we are such a popular major, we have students every single day. One of the perks of working NSO is that you are provided a free lunch from anywhere in the student union. So my choices are Sbarro, Burger King, Chi Fil-A, sushi rolls, a Greek pita & gyro place, and the somewhat more traditional campus cafeteria. The cafeteria doesn't share calorie counts, but it's food service grade stuff - today's menu was a grilled pain with chips, or a mountain of fried rice. It does have a basic salad bar, though.
    I try to keep lunch under 400 calories, but unless I want to eat nothing but iceberg salad for the next four work weeks, that doesn't seem like it's going to happen.
    It's kind of unbelievable how hard it is to eat low calorie on this campus. If it weren't for all the hills, everyone would be little blimps.

I fall into the free food trap all the time. But what my best friend told me is, "just because it's free doesn't mean you have to eat it. Bring your own lunch just like you normally would."
  • trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @Sora4ever don't give up. Don't make your routine so hard that you can't follow it. For me getting 10k steps a day is a lot of work and I know if I tried to do a traditional exercise on top of that I would do either one. So start small and build a workable routine. Then you can slowly add more.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Monday Check-in ... weight stayed the same this week as it has for the past couple, but that is at a higher amount than last year at this time of year so I am concentrating on getting back down to that weight again.

I cancelled the PT appointment for today as I hurt my back somehow on Saturday ... this is a chronic conditiion, as are all my joint issues ... and I am doing my home PT moves today for the back and don't want to get into the car to drive to the clinic. When my back eases up; it's like the physician said when I told him the inflammation was starting to leave my knees and go into my shoulders ... 'we can only work on one body part at a time', so now it's the lower spine that will take priority in my day.

Sora4ever ... if I read your name real quickly, it looks like Sore 4 ever .. and that's how I feel ... sore for ever! Like trinat2001 said, don't make it too hard to follow ...

badnoodle ... You might feel better about your lunch choices if you decided that a 500-600 calorie lunch is what you will need to have since you have limited access to less caloric food. Just choose the healthiest options from whichever menu you end up selecting from ... you've probably already done this, but the nutritional values for most of the foods you encounter can be looked up ahead of time ... so you can then make a list of which ones you will most often get and call it a day.

AllysaAnne03 ... I also bought a new lipstick 'Wet and Wild' ... unfortunately, it's neither!

Tiffyrh07 ... welcome and i hope you find the friends you are seeking.

Skinnyjeanzbound ... so glad you are on summer break now. That reminds me to ask my granddaughter if she has finished up her semester yet ... she is home schooled and tends to lag behind for one reason or another.

laurie ... happy belated birthday.
    NY Niki
  • moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, checking in. I've lost 6 pounds since march, which is on track for taking it slow. I've stopped doing my fitness journaling, and i feel like i'm slipping like crazy, so i'll pick that back up this week. It was just so tiring to make each page, so i think i need to scale it back in terms of crafty-ness.

I'm doing well in Jazzercise. no more post-workout headaches. I go twice a week now, and I'm going to bump my weights up a pound since i barely felt anything yesterday during arms. I think I need new gym shoes. These ones are several years old and have been my "try to do running/walk on the trails/bumming around on the weekend" shoes, so they don't have a lot of support left. i feel my foot cramp up in my arch during class.

I've started prepping smoothies and freezing them in plastic freezer jars made by Ball. Then i only have to clean the blender once! I also tried prepping breakfast burritos, but this batch is a little calorie high. I know better for next time. I'm still prepping and freezing lunches, it saves me so much time.

i'm struggling with keeping my sodium low. I guess i don't really realize how much is in things until suddenly my sodium count is in the red on here. Its something to work on.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @moody-- congrats on 6 lbs lost!! It's great to hear that those headaches have subsided; I know they were a concern. Sodium is so hard to keep down since there's so much in most processed foods. Just one slice of bread or a wrap will often put me over. I don't have any sort of blood pressure problems, and unless I go crazy and eat Chinese take away or something like that, the sodium doesn't seem to affect me much in terms of bloating and water retention, so it's one of those numbers I don't worry about too much.

Niki-- sorry to hear about your back pain. I hope it eases up quickly so you can start working on those knees. Your comments to sora and allysa cracked me up. :lol:

@trina-- great advice about the free food! I used to ALWAYS fall into that trap at work when the teachers would get a free breakfast or lunch-- for some reason teachers seem to always take what we're given, even if it's bad for us. I think it's a consequence of being in an under-appreciated profession.

@allysa-- I wish I could use a lipstick with that staying power, but my lips are so dry. I've found any of the extended wear types just make it even worse. Plus, I have a horrible addiction to chap stick, so I would just ruin those perfect lips anyways. LOL

@badnoodle-- You aren't the first person to tell me I'm crazy to find sushi filling-- I guess I'm an anomaly in that respect. Sounds like you have a great plan! During the school year, I buy those bags of frozen chicken breast tenderloins and cook up a bunch to have handy for salads or sandwiches. Maybe that would work for you.

@sara-- it's great to see you back!! Hiking is great exercise-- I wish we had more interesting places to hike near my home. As much as I love being a "flatlander" when I go out for a run, it sure makes hiking kind of boring.

Monday check-in:
    I decided to lower my calorie allowance to 1400/day. I know that sounds low, but I will be eating back all of my exercise calories. I've had my goal set at 1600 for quite awhile now and have only maintained, so I'll see what this new setting does to shake things up. I know this lower allowance will force me to be more active, and now that I'm off of work for 2 months, I really have no excuse.

Today was pretty productive day. I got the floors cleaned, and I washed the throw rugs and bedding. After that, I walked gunner, mowed the lawn, and did some weeding. I'm well under my calories b/c I logged the yard work as exercise. I may not eat back all of those calories today b/c tomorrow is our faculty Cubs trip which involves food and drinks, so I may "reserve" some of my extra for tomorrow.

Fitness Goals for the month of June:
    Visit gym of run outside minimum of 10 times x/10
    Run at least 25 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    151 k done/ 849 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE but mowed the lawn and gardened
    Tues-- walk gunner
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Wow @LC_libra I wish I was capable of making a cake like that! I'm super impressed.

Back again in my old really unpredictable way. I made a mini goal of 20 to 30 pounds before we travel to China again to pick up our daughter. I don't know when we'll be doing that, any time between October and January of next year, but China is super uncomfortable for 'persons of size' and not at all set up for me. A smaller goal seems to be much more motivating. I guess I forgot that in the last couple of years!
  • tootsanderson
    Options
    @wadwrich I was just planning for bariatric surgery as well, but I discovered I have a bizarre autoimmune disorder that makes me allergic to things suddenly that I wasn't allergic to before. Including anesthesia. So I'm not supposed to have anything but absolute emergency surgery just in case it happens to be a day I'm allergic to anesthesia. I think starting somewhere is the thing to do, but I wouldn't do something that isn't sustainable for too long. Personally, I'd get depressed eventually and think I can't do this anymore. But maybe you're made of sterner stuff than me lol
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @wadwrich-- We've had some regular posters who were following pre-WLS diets. Some went on to have the surgery; others met their goals without the surgery. Whatever you decide, you are welcome here. We tend to only offer up advice when asked, and we try to always be constructive and supportive.

@toots-- glad you found your way back.
  • wadwrich
    wadwrich Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @tootsanderson It's kind of like people who quit smoking. Some go cold turkey and others have to wean off. For the cold turkey people, they have to do it that way because one cigarette just leads to another and they will never quit. Or the alcoholic that if they have that one drink they disappear on a week long bender until someone finds them and drags them back to rehab. I'm that guy with food. I'm an addict. That one cookie will lead to a week long binge for me. I have to just take back control of myself. When I am in a better place and feel in control, I was thinking about maybe eating like the Mediterranean diet style or something. But eating that way never appealed to me. I am finding now that vegetables and fruit are starting to sound pretty good to me. And that's how it needs to be. I need to not want the other stuff. I'm doing well so far and am determined to do it this time. I lost it all once about 13 years ago. I can do it again.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

I’m just slammed at work lately. So many things to get done in the next two weeks and so little time it seems.

@Karen ~Yay for your summer break! :smiley: Good luck with the new lower caloric allowance, with your increased activity over the summer and eating back those exercise calories it sounds like a recipe for success.

@moodybear2003 ~Congrats on your 6# loss! :star: I’m glad the post-exercise headaches have subsided and you’ve been able to keep up with Jazzercise.

@Niki ~Hope your recovering from the back issues so you can start PT soon on your knees.

@Toots ~Great to see you!

@wadrich ~Welcome! Good for you for taking steps to better health. Have you looked into the DASH diet? It’s a diet designed to help you lose weight while lowering blood pressure and cholesterol—it’s a diet high in fruits/veggies. It was just ranked as the Best and Healthiest Diet Plan by US News & World Report (6th year in a row). I think one of our regular posters (@morgori) follows this plan to a degree. It might be something to weigh against the Mediterranean diet once you’re ready to try “normal” eating again. You’ve started out on the right foot with great success so far, keep it up! :star:

AFM~We were water logged around here with what can only be described as monsoon season last week—but this week the sun is out and we’re in the 90s, my kind of weather! I got out on Sunday for a bike ride—the weather was perfect. This afternoon I’ll either do that or go by the gym, depends on humidity level. Right now I just want to be in the sun and soak up that Vitamin D. :smile: Ankle surgery is two weeks from Friday, so still prepping and getting meals in freezer plus some deep cleaning done (you wouldn’t believe the cat toys I’ve found! :lol:).
  • tootsanderson
    Options
    That's fantastic that you know yourself so well @wadwrich My problem is concentration. :/