Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness ... an apt horoscope ... Keeo your promises reasonable. Once an offer is made, you will have to honor your position. Concentrate on making the changes that will encourage personal growth and greater support.
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    pneschich wrote: »
    Friday fitness up early with my youngest to, @MermaidPrincessRach

Kayak fish.
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,976 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Good activity AND good dinner! :+1::yum:
  • pneschich
    Options

My mother died of bone and liver cancer just weeks short of my 19th birthday. She was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was 15 and had a mastectomy, lymphectomy and hysterectomy on my 16th birthday. I am haunted by those 3 years. Watching her die piece by piece

This week my Mother in law was diagnosed with cancer. We spent Thanksgiving day at MD Anderson in Houston (awesomeness top to bottom) with her in surgery getting a partial hip replacement. Her femur broke at the site of the tumor. They feel that they removed all of it at that site but it isn't bone cancer. It's hiding somewhere in her body. The places it could be are not good. I know that in the 37 years since my mother was diagnosed they have made tremendous leaps in the treatment and I know that I am no longer a 16 year old boy but I'm still scared for my MIL and my wife. Irrationally worried and all that comes with it. I feel like I'm watching a horrible movie, I can't turn away and I know that there is no happy ending coming. My wife is the strongest woman I know, she will internalize this, handle everything with her typical ease and tear herself apart on the inside. I watched the cancer that killed my mother hollow out my father and touch all of their children. How do I help these women?
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @pneschich --I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL's diagnosis and the loss of your own mother at such a young age. Sadly, I don't have any easy answers for you. I watched a close friend and colleague get diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 27. She passed in Feb of this year after a 2 year battle. While she was going through treatment, her other friends and I just tried to be there in any way we could--for her and her family. One thing she confided in me was that she hated it when she would get good news from her doctors b/c her family would get so excited, and she felt they were getting their hopes up and she knew the next doctor's report might let them down. I'm kind of like your wife in the sense that I internalize as well. I would sometimes just drive around and cry in my car b/c I knew if I cried in front of my husband he would want to try to make me feel better and comfort me, and that's not what I needed. I just needed to be sad and angry and let those feelings out. I don't know if your wife is the same way, but maybe just ask her what she needs. Let her know you're there to support her and to let her be, if that's what she needs in the moment. I'm so sorry for your wife and for you that you have to go through this.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hi everyone-
    Sorry I haven't been on the thread much this week. I've been skimming your posts, but just haven't had much to add. Thanksgiving was nice, and I didn't really overdo it, but in general I've been so off track that it wouldn't have made much of a difference either way. I've not been logging consistently, exercise has been sporadic at best, and the scale is letting me know that I need to get back on track ASAP.

On the plus side, I ran my annual turkey trot in a decent time of just over 37 minutes--decent considering my training has been virtually non-existent. It did remind me how much I love to run, so that's something. One thing that has kept me out of the gym is that my membership expires this month (though I'm not sure of the exact date) and I need to get there when staff is on duty to pay in person. I just checked online, and there should be someone there until 8 pm on Monday, so my plan is to go workout and renew my membership after work.

I am currently hovering up near 200 lbs which is 15 above my lowest sustained weight of 185. My plan is to restart this process with the immediate goal of losing that 15 lbs over the next few months--not letting the holidays be an excuse. I lost weight in the past during the holidays, and I know that I can enjoy the treats here and there as long as I pay for it by burning extra calories at the gym, so that's what I will do.

A lot of my clothes are tight, and even those that still fit comfortably aren't as flattering, so my first motivator is just looking and feeling good in my wardrobe again. As an added incentive, I've decided to sign up for Stitch Fix, which is an online fashion site. You set up a profile with your likes and dislikes, and a personal stylist chooses 5 items to send you to try out. You only purchase what you like of the 5, and if you like them all, you get a 25% discount on the whole order. There's a $20 styling fee, but it gets applied toward your purchase, so you only lose it if you don't buy anything. A colleague is using it, and the clothes she's gotten are really cute. She said the prices aren't bad--about what you'd pay for non-sale items at a clothing store. I rarely buy clothes for myself, and when I do, they are always on clearance, so this will be a splurge. I will allow myself the first shipment when I've lost 10 lbs. After that, I think I will treat myself at 5 lb increments because I know how hard it will be to get the pounds off once I get back below 190.

Wow, I didn't plan such a long post, but there it is--that's my plan.
  • RachaelPooh
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound Good job running the turkey trot. I should have done one but with all the family drama ... :neutral: We can get back on track together! I have lost over the holidays too. Totally doable! :smiley: I like that you are giving yourself "a few months" to lose that initial 15 lbs. :+1: Stitch Fix sounds like a very nice reward. I might try it too. Thanks! :wink:
  • Nikion901
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sunday Share ... I saw a recipe on FB the other day that I'm making today. Chicken Fajita Casserole ...
    Ingredients needed:
    3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    salt, to taste
    cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon powdered cumin
    1 green pepper
    1 red pepper
    1 onion
    olive oil
    3 oz shredded cheddar cheese
    3 oz shredded mozzarella cheese

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Into a small casserole dish, lay the 3 chicken breasts side by side. Season them with the salt, cayenne pepper and cumin. Slice into strips an onion, a red and a green pepper and place them over the top of the chicken. Drizzle on some olive oil over the top of the vegetables. Sprinkle on the cheeses. Bake for 45 minutes.

Serve with a bed of rice underneath a breast and it's veggies.

PS ... I trick I learned from my mom was to use the oven to make the rice ... use an oven safe pot to cook your rice and after you have brought the water and rice back up to a boil simply cover the pot and put it into the oven to slow cook while you are baking you chicken. The rice will be ready in about 30 minutes if using white rice, and brown will take the full 45 minutes.
  • RachaelPooh
    Options
    :yum: looks yummy! And thats easy enough for even a novice to make!
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    pneschich wrote: »
    My mother died of bone and liver cancer just weeks short of my 19th birthday. She was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was 15 and had a mastectomy, lymphectomy and hysterectomy on my 16th birthday. I am haunted by those 3 years. Watching her die piece by piece

This week my Mother in law was diagnosed with cancer. We spent Thanksgiving day at MD Anderson in Houston (awesomeness top to bottom) with her in surgery getting a partial hip replacement. Her femur broke at the site of the tumor. They feel that they removed all of it at that site but it isn't bone cancer. It's hiding somewhere in her body. The places it could be are not good. I know that in the 37 years since my mother was diagnosed they have made tremendous leaps in the treatment and I know that I am no longer a 16 year old boy but I'm still scared for my MIL and my wife. Irrationally worried and all that comes with it. I feel like I'm watching a horrible movie, I can't turn away and I know that there is no happy ending coming. My wife is the strongest woman I know, she will internalize this, handle everything with her typical ease and tear herself apart on the inside. I watched the cancer that killed my mother hollow out my father and touch all of their children. How do I help these women?

I just caught sight of this while I was looking through the other posts and I can relate. A lot.

I was 18 when my mother was first diagnosed with primary breast cancer. They treated her and she was 'cured' in the sense that she went into remission for 7 years, only to discover last year that she had a new form of breast cancer in the other breast, except this one was much more insidious and had spread. She's Stage 4. Incurable. Eventually terminal. I was 26 last year. Everyone deals differently but the best thing I've found is to not make life about cancer. Cancer has a time and a place, appointments consultations etc, and you can talk it into the ground if you so choose but it will not change what is. Live your life, take your wife and MIL out for lunches and make fun memories without cancer. Ease your wife's load where you can but if she wants things to do, let her do them. Encourage her to talk to someone, a psychologist, because she probably has a lot on her mind that she doesn't want to burden anyone with, not you and especially not her mom who, if she's like me, she talks out everything with. Help, but let her take the lead.

It all sounds very early stages so take a breath. Even if it is a worse case scenario, it's not happening today or even tomorrow which means you have time. Appreciate it everyday like it's Thanksgiving. And I'm really sorry about your mom, she must have been a very special lady to have raised such a good son. :smile:
  • trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Holiday check in...

I did well over the long weekend. I was up at my mom's house, which meant dessert each night. My plan was to make sure I drank 24 oz of water before each meal and be reasonable. I stick to my plan!! I hate the taste of her water (she has a water softener) so I added a little crystal light and pretended it was medicine that I just needed to gulp it down and be done with it.

I assumed that I would gain 5 lbs over the weekend but when I got home I had only gained 0.9 lbs!! I call that a success!! Hopefully that weight will be off before the end of the week.

I'm still on track with my holiday goal to get below 200 and be below 200 in Jan 1st. I'm currently at 198.2
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @trinati2001 -- congrats on getting to Onederland! We can get through these holidays together!!

@niki-- thanks for the recipe; it looks yummy!

@rach-- thanks! Since I started running 5 years ago, the one consistent race I've done is a turkey trot. I've done them with friends; I've done them by myself; I even had one year that I had a migraine the night before, attempted to drive to the race but failed to make it on time, and ended up running a full 5k around my neighborhood instead. It always helps me enjoy the food-fest that follows. You are right--we can get back on track together. :smile:

Sunday Share:
    I'm Karen and I've been on MFP since March of 2011, and I have been a part of this thread (well, really the precursor to this thread) since July 2011. I'm from Chicago and teach HS English Lit in the suburbs. Love my job, but hate that it takes up so much of my evenings and weekends. Five years into this and I still struggle with the work/life balance.

Grading goals:
    1. 43/82 Montana 1948 essays
    2. x/40 Blake reflections

Exercise goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + leg workout DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner + gym
    Tues-- walk gunner
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Monday Check-in ...
    My weight was down today, and I think that perhaps my new scale may be doing something a bit weird ... it only changes the digitial dispay every .02 pounds ... but today it was like 2.0 pounds difference before and after my shower. So I hauled out my old scale and did a double check on that one, which always measured 1.2-1.4 pounds less than the new one; and, yep, my weight is definitely where it is supposed to be. Guess I'll need to find another room with a hard floor to set that scale in place on. To do that, there has to be some furniture moving around so an easily accessible but out of the way of regular foot traffic spot can be made for it.

The truth really, however, is that I have been maintaining instead of losing weight this quarter. I've read that keeping your weight in the same range of, say , 5 pounds is maintainence weight given the daily fluctuations in our body fluid and such stores. However, I still want to greet the New Year in 4 weeks with a lower weight than I am right now, which is a couple pounds over my lowest for this year.

Goals for this week ...
    1. Get dressed first thing every morning instead of whenever
    2. Big time KP the kitchen so I can find that brown rice I bought and mislaid
    3. Finish reorganizing the dressers in my bedroom

Have a great week everyone.
    Niki
  • trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @pinkstarberry congratulations!!! From a recent onederlander myself to another...great job!! You have come a long way! Keep up the good work.

@heathermetoo great job!! It is possible to have a holiday and loss weight. 3.4lbs!! WOW.

AFM: I'm in the middle of a 5 week stretch without my walking buddy. I've only gone for a walk once without her. I really need to find the motivation to go otherwise I only get 3-5k steps for the whole day...as I sit at my desk for most of it.
  • RachaelPooh
    Options
    GOALS and IDEAS for daily posts (Not mandatory)

Monday - Check In (how are you doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)

Tuesday - Goals (do you have any Goals you want to update us?)

Wednesday - Wishes (what do you wish? It can be weight related or not, can be realistic or not)

Thursday - Truth (got anything you need to fess up to or get off your chest?)

Friday - Fitness (what are you doing to get fit? How are you preparing for weekend eating?

Saturday - Success (what have you accomplished; focus on the positive of the week, NSV=non scale victories)

Sunday - Sharing (tell us a little about yourself....update your personal life)

Monday- i got all my Christmas shopping done! Now to work on getting back to work and back on plan!

Tuesday- my goal is to be under 300 on New Years Day! I really need to preplan my meals and stick to it!
  • karmasmomma5409
    karmasmomma5409 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Trying to find my motivation to get back on track! I need to find a way to NOT be mad at myself and say screw it! Well, even better, I need to not say screw it! LOL I used MFP years ago and did so well, but I had friends that I connected with on here somehow. It has changed, and I lost that account somehow! How do I make friends on here again HAHA
  • pneschich
    Options
    Tuesday goal. To keep the streak alive, stay on track and make myself log. Not losing but not gaining. So not really progress more a lack of failure.. To remember to stretch and ice my foot 3 times a day. My foot is better some days worse others. To get the last support bar up in my MIL's bathroom because she is coming home tonight. New hip is working great. Her spirits are up and we can deal with the rest in good time.
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    pneschich - So sorry that you lost your Mom and that your MIL is ill. Learn all you can about preventing cancer. Nutrition plays an important role as does emotions. I've read that cancer can't grow in an acid environment and most processed foods are acid producing.

I am back on track. Lost 12 lbs but gained four back and then lost 2. There is a merry-go-round. Getting some motivation from book by Bryan Tracy "no excuses" It is about self discipline, which I am totally lacking. Except last few day have been on track. Today was rough. Cooked supper that really didn't taste good. Need to get better at planning meals.

Goal for week are attend yoga classes, water aerobics and creative movement class. Work on organizing office,
    Katrena

Karmasmom - Self discipline is the hardest thing to do but when we do it, it raises us up and helps us succeed

Goal