Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Dalceridae
    Dalceridae Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @pneschich Wow, that's got to be so tough. I can't imagine how hard it would be when surrounded by so many goodies in your home. You get no break from them! I have been struggling like crazy and that's without being surrounded by cookies and candy. I actually took all of my Christmas goodies to work and left them in the breakroom for everyone else to eat because I knew I would end up eating them all myself in a short period of time.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Wow, it's been a while since I've posted--though I have been keeping up with reading what's going on in everyone's lives. It sounds like I'm in the same boat as a lot of you--dealing with the stresses of the season (for me, it's trying to get through all of the lessons and grading prior to Winter Break which starts Thurs.), trying to forego all of the holiday treats, and struggling with injuries and illness.

I have been doing okay on the food front. I had a faculty holiday party last weekend, and though I probably drank too many calories, there wasn't a lot of food, so I tried to stick to the raw veggies and dip. Monday, some friends and I went out for dim sum and I know I ate way too much, but it was so yummy! Other than those 2 days, I've been pretty good all week. Maybe one cookie a day from the treats in the office, but I haven't caved and gone off the rails. I was supposed to go on a pub crawl yesterday which would have been horrible calorie-wise--drinking and bar food all day long!--but I came down with a nasty cold on Thursday, so I didn't go. Silver lining of being sick, I guess.

Exercise has also been so-so. The weather has not cooperated with my daily walks with Gunner, and though I made it to the gym on Wed., I haven't gone since due to being sick. On the plus side, the scale finally started creeping back down this morning, so that gives me motivation to stick with the better eating and more moving.

This coming week will be a challenge. I have meetings after school Mon. and Tues. so it will be hard to schedule in exercise even if I'm feeling well enough. Tuesday is our office holiday luncheon which means we order pizza and everyone brings treats. I'm going to try very hard to keep it in check. The pizza is not a challenge--I don't love it--but all of the sweets will be hard to resist.

Today is bitterly cold here in Chi-town, so my goal is to not leave the house. I have 8 essays to grade, and a really dirty bathroom to keep me inside.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!!
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I caught up with reading here this morning. I've had a really crazy week. The friend that I'm staying with during the remodel of the Nashville house has 13 adult dogs and 17 puppies. All but 3 live inside her home and my housemate has two dogs to add to the indoor brood. Marie was admitted to the hospital on Tuesday with her pelvis broken in two places and a crack in her sacrum, due to a fall. (she's 75) and on Friday she was sent to a nursing home to rehab for three weeks or so, leaving me and my house mate to take care of her house and all the dogs and 6 cats (4 inside and 2 outside) and I'm thankful that she doesn't have any farm animals at this time!!! We have them on a routine, but they still have "accidents" in the house and I'm so over it, but I'm glad that I can help my friend out during this difficult time in her life.

They said the house would be ready by Monday or Tuesday but I think we will be lucky if it's done by Christmas. Doesn't really matter I guess. I will be leaving tomorrow going to my daughter's house for our Christmas while my granddaughter is home and then back to Nashville for Christmas Eve with friends.

My diet has been off the charts, no excuses just the way it has to be right now, so I try to control the amount I eat the best I can. I had to quit walking because I've been down since Tues afternoon with a terrible head cold. This is the first day I feel human again. It has been all I could do just to take care of the dogs and myself.
    Everyone is in my thoughts and I'm just too tired to mention all the things I've liked and agreed with but I tried to leave you likes and inspiring icon checks!
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,979 Member
    Options
    I acknowlege that pizza will not be a weekly option next football season but ... What do healthy people eat when they watch football?
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share ... well, I'm trying to stay off the computer more so that I cannot use it as an excuse to keep procrastinating but about the only place I've succeeded in my effort was to NOT post on this thread. I still popped in an read your posts every time I logged on the post my meals.

I have logged in for 421 days without a break in the posting of my daily meal intake, and reading/posting on this board, so that is really a hard habit to break only half of. I've started to imagine that I will be more productive if I resort back to writing my food down in a paper journal and then logging everything at one time instead of doing it by the meal. That, in itself, would be a big new habit to establish! :)

@campfirequeen1 ... as I read through your post I found myself saying, "Oh no!, Who's going to take care of all of Marie's animals when Tracy leaves in tomorrow for her daughter's house, and then back to Nashville on Christmas Eve?" .... I hope you have a nice trip, but I also hope you are not going to leave all those animals without a caregiver while their owner is in a rehabilitation center! ...

Yes, I'm an animal lover and have resorted to not taking a planning trip when I didn't like the boarding kennel and couldn't get someone to sit with my cats while I was away. The last time I went away, my nieces was going to stop by before and after work cause she works about 1/2 mile away from my home ... but then she only goes into the office one day a week and works the rest of the time from home so she wasn't able to pop in to check on them like we had planned. I really got nervous about them on their own for all that time, even though they had plenty of litter boxes and food/water bowls available they were alone in the house and i worried about what mischief of mishap they could have gotten into. It ended up that I prefer not to go away overnight now, much less for an entire week!

Have a wonderful Christmas holiday everyone ... I know for most people it's all about the food and parties, the presents and getting together with folks you don't normally see ... so safe travels and remember it's "ok" to have some of that food and drink stuff you don't normally indulge in ... but indulgence is not the name of the game with it ... it's moderation! Everything in Moderation :wink:
    Niki

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I acknowlege that pizza will not be a weekly option next football season but ... What do healthy people eat when they watch football?

Hey Rach-
    We are big football fans in this household, and though sometimes we indulge in my DHs chili cheese dip, it's not a weekly thing. We don't usually make special food to go with watching the game; we just eat as usual. However. if we do want a snack, I will sometimes cut up some veggies and serve them with hummus. A great option instead of pizza (especially on cold days) is a big pot of turkey chili or white chicken chili.
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    @MermaidPrincessRach not a football watcher but veggies and hummus or yogurt dip. Parmesian tuiles a little high in fat but yummy with a chopped tomato balsamic relish
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    @Nikion901 Yes there is a plan in place. My housemate in Nashville will be here with them and Marie's daughter will stop in once a day to help with them. Another friend is on backup, if need be. And Marie will get to see the little Chihuahua once in a while because she is small enough and quiet enough to sneak into the nursing home!!! Her name is Lucy and she is an adorable little old lady. She went to see her momma yesterday and they were both thrilled! When you truly love pets as Marie, you and I do, their care is paramount!
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I met all my goals this week! Walking, tracking, staying within my calories, drinking lots of water... All of it. All week! I'm sure I will be happy about this eventually, but tonight I'm just feeling blah. A little tired, a little grumpy, a little sad, a little cold, and a little like I'm getting sick. I blame mother nature with her monthly visit and this nasty weather. I'll get it together tomorrow, I hope.
  • RachaelPooh
    Options
    @FeraFilia ugh! I hate feeling that way! A bath/shower, maybe with scented bodywash, usually helps me feel a little better. And maybe a gift to myself: a new book or watch a movie, I love comedies. And, of course, sleep. Take care and I hope you feel better fast!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    @FeraFilia -- is that a new profile picture I spy today, you are looking fab!
  • Dalceridae
    Dalceridae Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @FeraFilia you look great! It must feel good to celebrate your progress and feel good about how far you have come.

I reached my first goal today - I have lost 10% of my bodyweight! I wanted to reach it by the end of the year, and it is nice to celebrate progress rather than focus on how far I have to go still.
  • 320sycamore
    320sycamore Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @Dalceridae! I also reached my third interim goal today, which was 10% of my body weight (I set tiny goals, e.g., 5% of body weight, reduction in obesity category, etc.) since I have such a long way to go. I agree that we must celebrate our progress (while not losing sight of our near and long term goals.)Although I've lost 30 pounds, I still have another 90+ to go. My next goal is 15% of my body weight and is 15 pounds away. I'm hoping to get there by the end of February (or sooner).
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Spent my afternoon at the podiatrist and got not so good news..I do have plantar fasciitis and it's so knotted up that it's pinching the nerve too. I'm in a boot now for 4-6 weeks. Right up to surgery. Gained 4 pounds too. Not having a happy holiday yet! MIL starts radiation tomorrow for ten days. Wife whacked her head on the lift gate of the SUV yesterday and concussed herself, bled quite a bit too. She's a bit out of sorts today. Balance a bit off. Teenage boys more annoying than helpful and oh so sarcastic too.
  • RachaelPooh
    Options
    @pneschich I am sorry your life is SO frustrating right now. I hope it gets better superfast, your foot and all! Let me know if I can do anything to help.
  • 320sycamore
    320sycamore Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @pneschich, so sorry for the myriad health problems your family is dealing with. Hopefully you will recover enough to enjoy a bit of family time over the holidays. Remember:

"Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory." Albert Schweitzer
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    @pneschich Ouch that really bites but try and keep your spirits up. I'm thinking of you and sending good thoughts and prayers your way.
    @320sycamore I've never heard that quote before and it's a great one but I think it misses the point that when bad memory fails you (mine never seems too, except when it shouldn't LOL) it's all about attitude. I have to keep reminding myself of the fact that I can control my attitude!
    @MermaidPrincessRach You always make me smile when you speak of your DH, that is a joy I have never known and I'm so glad that you have a great one!
    @Nikion901 A 421 day streak is amazing and you always amazing me with your clearly sage advise and how you really look after details. I wish I were more of a detail person...sometimes! haha

Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat! I have begun the Christmas cooking and baking since we will do our celebration tomorrow before my granddaughter, the flight attendant, has to leave on Saturday to return to her base in Dallas for a flight on Christmas Day. It's going to be hard to resist all the goodies, but I'm going to focus on family and fun and try to just taste some of the worst in the way of calories, sugar and fat, while eating healthy stuff and portions!
    Best of the holidays to all my friends and encouragers here! Holly now in Clarksville. And yes I did take the last train here! LOL
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Question of the Day ...

What is the difference between 'serving' and 'portion' size?

Happy Winter Soltice Day.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Question of the Day ...

What is the difference between 'serving' and 'portion' size?

Happy Winter Soltice Day.

My sarcastic answer to this is a "serving size" is the tiny amount the food companies put on their labels so they can sell you on "low fat" "low sugar" "low sodium" and "lower calories"... a 'portion' is what you actually eat. Like, put the stats for the whole pint of ice cream on the carton. Who takes 4 servings out of one of those things?!