• bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    @happygirlxxx SUPER NEWS!!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Good Monday morning everyone ... the start of a new work week; a great day to start or continue on our activity and nutrition goals. I read an email this morning that said activity, any kind of regular activity, leads to decreases in health risks like cancer, dementia, and arthritis, and can lengthen your life!

Here is what is said in my NutritionAction.com email newsletter, in an article by David Schadt

"Physical activity may have other important benefits. For example:

Cancer. “People who are more physically active, including those who walk for exercise, are less likely to develop one of the major cancers, such as breast cancer” says researcher Christine Friedenreich of the University of Calgary in Canada.

Dementia. “Older folks who walk more, like a mile to two miles a day versus less than a quarter of a mile, tend to have about a 35 percent lower rate of developing Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias,” says University of Illinois psychologist Arthur Kramer.

Arthritis. “Walking for 40 to 60 minutes three to five times a week can reduce the pain of arthritic knees by about 30 percent,” notes Stephen Messier, director the J.B. Snow Biomechanics Laboratory at Wake Forest University.".

That makes me feel encouraged to get in that 1-2 miles of walking a day ... which is the 40 to 60 minutes. I've read before that it can be broken down into 10 minute sessions, but 20 minutes is much better. ... And it's not just walking; gardening counts also, as (of course) does true physical activity like gym work and ball games, swimming, bike riding, etc

@happygirlxxx -- thanks so much for the cookie recipe. To me they looked like snickerdoodles, which is one of my favorite simple cookies. I thought I recognized that Italian cookie you shared, I know I've seen it in a couple of our Italian import deli's. Think I even ate some one time. Delicious. Looked it up and you can get it here in the US from Walmart or Amazon online!

Thanks @birgitkwood , happygirl, @tdunnegan , for commenting about my experience trying to take my friend for a ride. It's the sort of thing that would make a good comedy skit ... if it weren't so sad in its foundation. I thought to myself last night ... "Did Sal tell me she moved and I forgot?" I did lose all my addresses when the computer crashed in July ... and the ones I got back from 'the cloud' was an old version that didn't have the latest updates to it. It really is up to the people interacting with dementia patients to keep on top of things because the person won't be reliable with their memory themselves. I know from the dementia my dad suffered which was sudden and severe from a frontal lobe stroke.

More personals later ... this is getting too long as is right now ... and I still have Monday Check-in ... had 3 days over calorie goal and 4 days well within my range this week. This accounted for a 1/2 pound loss from last Monday's weigh-in. Now to be 'good' for Wednesdays challenge report!
  • tdunnegan
    tdunnegan Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Monday share - I was over my calorie goal every day. ... by a lot. But I'm tracking and developing the self discipline to bring eating habits back to a good place

This morning someone I work with said I look like I lost weight. Now that out a smile on my face!

Looking forward to a successful week!
  • moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I am coming back after taking a year long break. I had lost about 15 pounds before I let stress and everything else get to me. I changed my diet (when from being a vegetarian to being an omnivore), My employer went bankrupt, and after months of dealing with that I left for a job with half the pay (but is less than a mile from home instead of a 45 minute drive, less stress, and affords me a LOT more free time). In the middle of all that, I pinched a nerve in my lower back and had to do 3 months of Chiropractic. I gained that 15 back plus some. I am now over 300 lbs.

So, all that being said, I'm ready to start over. My Husband and I have been wanting to start a family, but I've been putting it off due to concerns about my weight. I am tired of not fitting in chairs or airplane seats. I'm tired of never finding any clothes in my size.

I got a Planet Fitness membership months ago, but I've only gone 4 times. My new plan is 30 Minutes twice a week, and to move up from there. I have been gradually weaning myself off soda/pop. It has been very hard, I have been getting headaches. I also know I need to work on Portion Sizes. Sometimes I just eat and eat, then feel full to bursting after and feel so ashamed.

I hope to get to know everyone, and have better things to post next time!
  • CaydensMommy
    CaydensMommy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Everyone, please send me a friend request. The more friends, the better I think. I've got a little over 100 to lose. Started a week ago. Let's motivate one another! Let's see what we look like a year from now! <3 We can do this!
  • jam5660
    jam5660 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    @tdunnegan for the first few weeks of my journey I ate at or under calorie goal, being very mindful of what I ate and always went the healthy route, but it wasn't until I "failed" at the calories and still logged every last calorie did it truly open my eyes to how bad I was before, and I knew I didn't want to nor should I eat like I did before. I have truly taken it to heart to uses every success and more importantly failure to learn the most about me that I can.

Welcome @CaydensMommy and @moodybear2003!! Looking forward to getting to know you both and supporting each other.
  • b_lisieux
    b_lisieux Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I just discovered this thread! I've only been doing MFP for about 4 or 5 weeks. It's slow going but it's going. :)
  • tdunnegan
    Options
    b_lisieux wrote: »
    I just discovered this thread! I've only been doing MFP for about 4 or 5 weeks. It's slow going but it's going. :)

Welcome. I joined about two weeks ago. It's great.
  • tdunnegan
    Options
    Jam5660 - tx for the input.
  • tdunnegan
    Options
    Moodybear: hi there. Your journey is familiar to me and I'm sure others here. I hope you have a chance to unload here and feel better about yourself. This is not a race, it's a journey. Sometimes we gain sometimes we lose. I'm jumpstarting myself after going awol for a month. I lost 55 lbs four years ago using my fitness pal but then gained half the weight back. This is my first "community" experience
    I find it very helpful.

So welcome. Looking forward to journeying with you!!
  • b_lisieux
    b_lisieux Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thanks @tdunnegan.....I look forward to sharing the journey with everyone here. :)
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,871 Member
    Options
    NSVs

:smile: My belt is almost too big for me so I gave it to DH. He has been losing wt too!

:smile: I went out to eat twice yesterday and both times I ordered calorie free beverages without flinching. It is true that I still ate too much, but I ate much slower and savored every bite.

:smile: Today I wore a work shirt that I had ordered/received a long time ago but could never wear bc it was too small, especially tight on my arms. Two of my coworkers noticed and said it looked nice on me. I dont think they can see a reduction in my wt, but they notice other things.

Sometimes I dont trust the process. I am so negative about my body that I dont believe it will ever be any smaller. Othertimes I am afraid to lose wt bc I dont know who the skinny me is. I have never met/been her (at least not for long enough to know/trust her).

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney

Change is scary. But sometimes it is worth it. Wt loss that will save my life is worth it. I am worth it.

Rach
  • cellosmiles
    cellosmiles Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Monday checkin

Felt good about myself all good all week and weekend. But i have been very tired lately and ran out of prepared food. So today...not only did i skip breakfast. I went out to chinese buffet for lunch. Arrgh!!

Oh well. I have been well under my calories all week. And tomorrow is a new day!
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @Nikion901 - exercise is the key to everything, my doctors have also told me that working nights is hard on the body and can exacerbate heart problems, so I will probably be trying to get moved to days here soon.
    At the moment I'm apparently so tired I can't stay awake, despite being bright eyed just a few hours ago. I've had to retype this post several times due to some really crazy stuff that got typed while I dozed off. Maybe I'll go home - no pay is better than dead.
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    I completed the first 2 12 he shifts of this set. My plan was to stop at the gym on the way home but I was so exhausted I could barely walk to my car!!
    Last night my son made stove top popcorn for my DIL and , being generous, made me a bowl as well. As that is my favourite snack I could not say no. Grrr. But it did not turn into a feeding frenzy like usual and today good.
    If I can wake up tomorrow morning I have lots of housework to do so honestly don't think I will make it to the gym
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @tdunnegan - if you place the @ sign before the name of the person you are addressing directly, it will notify that person that someone mentioned them in a thread (the bell icon at the top of the page). Welcome to the thread, I'm glad you found us.
    @karenleona - I totally understand being exhausted after your shift. FYI though, maybe you can try after your 1st day of 12 hour shifts and before your 2nd, 3rd, etc. Exercise will energize your body, even if it's only 30 minutes worth, and may help you through the long shifts. Just a thought and worth a try...
    @moodybear2003 - welcome back, I remember you.... Glad you found your way back to us.
    Tracy
    TX
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday everyone!! :)

Woke early this morning, prepared breakfast for my hubby and the doggies and then I did my workout: 30min rowing + 30min cycling + 45min pilates ... I had to make up for yesterday not doing anything :#

@Nikion901 I think you can find that brand of breads / cookies in the US as well; maybe World Market or online at Amazon ... however I would not recommend to get them because they are addictive! At least they are to me because I love anything related to bread :p

@moodybear2003 @CaydensMommy @b_lisieux welcome to the group! Hope you enjoy the chat as much as I do. Its been quite important part of my journey being able to share my wins and misses with the group and have their support, advice and wake up calls :D Some of you I think I already have as friends, but if you want to feel free to send me an invite.

@moodybear2003 take it step by step. We might have all started at different weights and our situations might be different, but our journeys are similar; so my best advice is don't be too hard on yourself, take it slowly, but push yourself with small changes every day and when you do something that is good for you (ie, not drinking soda) then celebrate it (maybe a nice herbal tea :) ) . The clue for being successful I think its dedication and perseverance; if we fall, we stand up, learn and continue. And also, what worked for one might not work for others, so don't compare yourself to anyone else, just take notes of what others do to inspire and find what works for you. Be proud for being honest to yourself that you need to change and specially taking the first steps!! good luck! we are here to support you along your journey :)

@MermaidPrincessRach great NSVs!!! You are doing fantastic! And I know, sometimes it takes a bit of time for others to realize our weight loss, but the fact that your coworkers are paying you compliments it must be starting to show! good for you!! And well done with the drink choices ... its hard to change habits and you are managing well; I am glad I don't have here Starbucks because those damn drinks are caloric bombs (but love them ... that warm cider <3 or anything with caramel). And you are right, you are worth it!!! We all are and we deserve to live a happy healthy life!! Great that your DH is loosing weight too; that is awesome!

@karenleona housework can be a workout too ... so just pump up the music and add a bit on dancing in between chores and you will be burning some additional calories!! And pop corn is one of my favorite snacks as well ... for me going to the movies and no pop corn is unthinkable ... so those days I make sure I have room on my calories to enjoy my pop corn guilt - free.

@cellosmiles Chinese buffet? yum!! I haven't had Chinese food for months now ... I am sure I would have dived into every single fried and honey covered thing on that table :D

Goals!!

I guess it is not to screw up :D continue with my workouts and trying to eat well and not to over my calories.
  • RobinB0812
    RobinB0812 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Lack of meal prep!! That has been my problem since hurricane Irma blew through 2 weeks ago. I typically cook 1 or 2 things on the weekend and prepare meals for lunch and dinner throughout the week. Between the prepared meals I might have some type of freezer food to throw together for dinner. I have not done that which has me either ordering lunch with a coworker, stopping to pick something up for dinner, etc. Most times I have tried to make good choices, but so often I have to guess at calories when it comes time to log. Or find something in the food database that seems close. The last 2 Sunday's have been disastrous too! We've been going to mom and dad's house to watch football with all the snacks and beer that goes along with it! I am petrified to step on the scale tomorrow!

@happygirlxxx - thanks for sharing your cookie recipe. I copied it down to try it. Also, CONGRATS on your "all clear" at the doctors the other day. Being cancer free for 28 years (this week) myself, I know what it means to be able to take that sigh of relief.

@Nikion901 - thanks for sharing your tidbits of information. I find it very informative. Please keep sharing!

@bapcarrier - You made me chuckle with your story share and what you said to your "acquaintance". You are snarky just like me! LOL

@MermaidPrincessRach - congrats on your NSVs!!! Sometimes they are better than seeing the number go down on the scale.

Until next time; wishing everyone Peace B) , Love <3 and Weight Loss :smiley: !!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Tuesday Goals ... almost hate to post this, because it seems like my goals never change because they never get done! I make plans and feel all motivated when I make em, but the follow through is virtually non-existent. Still ... Today I will make a goal to cook a chili for supper and to have leftover chili in the fridge.
    ... Today I also make a goal of cleaning the refrigerator really, really well. The gaskets look like I should put a 'Contaminated" barrier up on the appliance and trash everything that's in it.
    ... And Today I make a 3rd goal and that is to get off this computer as soon as I'm done with this post and go get at it.

Will report on this one with my Wednesday challenge post.

And, since I really, really do want to get at it I won't post any personals today but I did read each one and am very glad to have read em.
    Niki