Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    tdunnegan wrote: »
    .... I recently found a new chiropractor and he's got me going 3x a week. ... I am very suspicious of chiros who do the 3x a week thing. But 5 years ago I had 1 herniated disc in my lower back and now I have three. I had seen another guy and apparently what was done didn't work. I feel like I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard spot. ....

Terry, I sympathize and understand exactly how you are feeling about this. Every chiropractor I've ever gone to does the 3 times a week thing as a start; it's the standard and drops down in number of occurrences as time goes on. I've only had success with one chiropractor whose therapy helped me with my disc problems but I went to him for regular treatments for 2 years ... starting with the 3 time a week thing. That one has retired and thus this summer I tried a new chiropractor for me disc problems and went for 26 sessions but never got past needing it twice a week so I knew the therapy wasn't working. Now I'm searching for a physical therapist to take me on.

Please take care of those discs! I've been able to forestall spinal surgery for the past 40 years by using the services of both Chiro's and PT's ... but may not be able to do so much longer. However I know if I hadn't gone for the therapies, and hadn't done the 'at home' exercises they told me to do that I would not still be walking today.
  • tdunnegan
    tdunnegan Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    nikion901 - Thank you for responding. I've actually had a few doctors over the years (since 1990) who did not start with the 3x a week thing. And others who did. Have done soooo much PT. It is helpful, but that calls for 3x a week too.

I just need to figure out how to get workouts in. They are such a huge part of weight loss for me. When I work out I eat better and feel better. When I'm in the zone, I do yoga, spinning and weight lifting. I also enjoy swimming.

Patience is a virtue (that I missed when they were handing it out!!!) Hee Hee

All's good. It's the weekend so I have time to get workouts in on Saturday and Sunday and maybe Tuesday. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are out. I work a 12 hour on Fridays.
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone!!

Woke up to a gray Saturday ... I dont think the sun is planning to show up today :/ but its not cold so I might take a walk later. Was thinking of trying on running, which I have hardly done before, but now that I am lighter might be able to do so without injuring my knees.

Yesterday my old Yorkie had small procedure to help determine which type of anemia he has; hope that all the trouble will bring some answers because they had to pinch his bone marrow and now he can't hardly walk :/ so I have been carrying him everywhere. I think my big dog (got a black lab) is jealous of all the attention the other one is getting, so for the 1st time ever he peed inside the apartment and I had to clean that up quickly before the wood floors stain and get smelly. I thought it was weird when I took him out for his walk that he didn't do all his business immediately as he always does; then when I got back to the house I realized why ... he had already left a present for me inside >:) Anyway ... hopefully it was a one time thing and it doesn't become a habit ;)

Saturday Success!

This week I got a nice surprise. After I left the doctor since I was in good spirits decided to stop by The Gap to try some jeans. I went there instead of an European brand just because I usually got there my jeans while living in the US, so wanted to try the exact model that I bought last time. The last jeans were a size 32; well this time I was able to fit nicely a size 30!!! YAY!! :)

Not sure what size is equivalent a 30, but I am guessing might be a 10? The reason why I think this is, when I got back home tried a couple of work suits I had brought size 12 and they were too big. So basically I didn't wear any of my size 12 clothes because I thought they would not fit (I was saving them for when they fit ;) how ironic!) .. so I have jumped from 14 to 10 basically :D ... and now I hardly have any clothes to wear because anything below 12 its gone. In the last 15 years I went from a size 0 to 18/20!!! So I had a whole range of clothes to give away; which I did within the last couple years because I thought I would never lose weight :s

Anyway, luckily I am heading to the US in November for like 10 days, so will definitively include a shopping trip to the mall in my plans. Unfortunately I will miss all the thanksgiving deals, but still I think will be cheaper than here.

As always my posts get lengthy :# ... hope you have a nice Saturday, that you can rest and focus on awesome food the decisions and a nice workout.

Arriverdeci and buona giornata!!
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,871 Member
    Options
    @happygirlxxx Congrats on the clothing down size! It is a GREAT feeling to experience! I have some smaller clothes in my closet but I also buy some new stuff as I shrink.
  • tdunnegan
    Options
    FALL CHALLENGE

Name: Terry
    Height: 5' 5"

Start Weight (as of Sept. 16th): 216
    Goal Weight (for Nov. 18th): 205

Weigh in Weeks (listed by Wednesdays)

1. Sept. 20: 217.4
    2. Sept. 27: 219.8
    3. Oct. 4:
    4. Oct. 11:
    5. Oct. 18:
    6. Oct. 25:
    7. Nov. 1:
    8. Nov. 8:
    9. Nov. 15:
    Final Weigh in: Nov. 18:

Weight -/+ this week:
    Total weight -/+ this challenge:
    Total overall weight lost

Ugh. I know why. Kunk food.
    I'm going to stir fry a bunch of veggies and bring for lunch.
  • b_lisieux
    b_lisieux Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @tdunnegan I've seen chiropractors on and off for many years. They have all started with the multiple times per week but then gradually lessened. Now I go only as needed. I've had some horrible incidents with chiros that crunch & crack. Now I only see ones who do totally different methods, once of which is called Activator method. It's most like pressure points that they touch with a gun like thing that taps the points. It works amazingly well.
    @Nikion901 I hope you never ever have to have spinal surgery and yes, definitely take architecture photos. Architecture can be so beautiful.
    @happygirlxxx Your username fits you post today. You SHOULD be happy. Wow...a new jeans size. That is great!!!!
  • bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Report for Week 2 of Fall Challenge
    Week Two, out of our 21 entrants from last week only 17 actually posted for this week. But, great news, these 17 people managed to lose another 22.1 pounds bringing our total so far to 47.6 pounds in just two weeks. That's 20% of our goal. :) Plus, welcome to Anne who is just starting the challenge with us this week so had nothing to report yet. Keep up the great work everyone and I promise to have the report ready earlier next week.
  • bapcarrier
    Options
    For any new people and for those of us who just happen to sometimes forget the suggested daily discussion topics I decided to copy and paste them here just as a reminder! :smiley:

GOALS and IDEAS for daily posts (Not mandatory)

Monday - Check In (how are you doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)

Tuesday - Goals (do you have any Goals you want to update us?)

Wednesday - Wishes (what do you wish? It can be weight related or not, can be realistic or not)

Thursday - Truth (got anything you need to fess up to or get off your chest?)

Friday - Fitness (what are you doing to get fit? How are you preparing for weekend eating?

Saturday - Success (what have you accomplished; focus on the positive of the week, NSV=non scale victories)

Sunday - Sharing (tell us a little about yourself....update your personal life)

Here goes, my NSV for this week is a complete week of no snacking after dinner (after 7PM). This is probably the longest I've gone without at least one, if not many, nights of snacking. It feels so good and it's getting easier every evening! It was a bad habit I had slowly gotten into. I give a lot of the credit to @birgitkwood for sharing her ideas of tracking each NLS (no late night snacking) on a calendar and for setting a specific time (7PM) to stop eating each night. Those two things alone have helped me tremendously!! I've completed NLS #8 and tonight will be number 9. If you fall off the wagon and snack you have to start over and each day of seeing the numbers count higher makes me want to see how high I can go!
  • b_lisieux
    Options
    @bapcarrier...I am pretty new to this site so thank you for explaining goals & ideas for daily posts. :) I will try do add something as I can, assuming I have something to say that fits that category. :)
    Let's see...Saturday Success....I have entered into my journal every day and measured everything & have stayed under my calorie allotment every day. I lost 1 lb. this week & although I am losing kind of slow, I am losing. I've found it every interesting to look at calories on things I used to eat, both of which were eye opening...some were way lower than I thought and most were way higher. I had done Weight Watchers on and off for so long, that it was easy to lose track of calories actually taken in when I compared them to "points" values.

I do have a question though. Does MFP change your calories per day as you lose? As I said I'm still pretty new and trying to understand how it all works.
  • bapcarrier
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @b_lisieux Great job logging and measuring, those are two important steps in this journey! No MFP doesn't change your calories as you lose. It is calculated on how many you need to eat to lose weight based on your age, height, sex and activity level. The only thing that changes it (that I know of) is when you log daily activities and you have it turned on to add those burned calories to your daily calorie goals. If you were able to do some chair exercises it might add to the daily calories you could eat and still lose. Anyone else out there, know anything different, like when you lose 100 pounds does it need to be adjusted and how does that work? @birgitkwood ...Help! :)

As for the daily discussions, it's just a suggestion but I thought it also might help new people to have a better idea of what was going on when someone posted Tuesday's goals or Thursday's Truth, etc.
  • bapcarrier
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @b_lisieux thought you might enjoy this, especially seeing your member ID photo (or whatever they call it, LOL)40b873hfirz3.jpg
    I think someone else posted this a while ago, but I love it, so posting it again! Good for us all to remember! :)

• b_lisieux
    Options
    @bapcarrier.....I LOVE it! I will remember that saying! Slow and steady wins the race, right? :) Thanks for sharing it!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    That's my old profile picture as NK1112... that slow forward turtle. I got it off a thread that had motivational quotes in it. Anyone can use it so if you like it ... @b_lisieux , go for it if MFP will let you ... I don't know if it knows that photo is a profile pic for someone or not.

Also ... MFP will prompt you to change your goals when you lose enough weight that your calories would naturally be lower ... but it is only a prompt that comes up, and you do have to check-in with your weight for it to happen.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Saturday Success ... NSV is getting my bookkeeping closed for September and doing some preliminary food prep so I can cook a 2 or 3 small chicken dishes tomorrow. I also have some beef chuck and pork defrosting in the fridge to make 'lazy cabbage rolls', the meat has to defrost so it might not happen until Monday that I make them.

I have BIG PLANS for a new habit I want to develop starting Oct 1 ... Sunday. I am going to go outside with my camera and start a photo album of my 'out in the fresh air walking on the sidewalks' habit. The first picture will be of my driveway or my house and the second one will be of some architectural feature at the farthest point I get. My goal is to increase the distance I go each time with a picture taken each time of that point when I turn around to go back home. At first I thought I should try to go out every day, but I know that is unlikely to happen, so I want to make a goal of doing it every other day or two .... but no more than two days between walks. And, I don't care if I only walk a couple of minutes the first time out cause the next time has to be to a farther point.

• bapcarrier
    Options
    Yikes, I really want a snack! Guess I'll brush my teeth and maybe chew some sugarless gum! :( I will not give in, I will not give in... Tune in tomorrow to see who won, the diet angel on one shoulder of the little rascal evil imp on the other shoulder.
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday!

@b_lisieux @MermaidPrincessRach thank you!!

@bapcarrier love that saying .... that is my motto for my weight loss journey, no matter how fast as long as I am moving forward ... doesn't matter how much I lose per week as long as the scale is showing a lower number :)
    Congrats on not late snacking!! That is hard because in the US dinner is so early that of course you get hungry before bed.

@Nikion901 you need to share some of the photos you take. And a couple days a week is perfect and you push yourself go to farther. As your previous post .. start small and then keep pushing more and more ... until the habit is formed :)

Sunday Sharing!

Not much has happened (besides the fact that I have hardly exercised); and since I have tried to post daily, I think I have kept the group up to date with whats going on with my weight loss journey.

What can I share? Hummmm …. Have I told you I am originally from Peru?

I think I have … but anyway, I left about 15 years ago after I graduated from business school due to a job in NYC and since then I have been traveling around the world as you already know … so even though Peruvian at <3 I consider myself a world citizen.

If you have not been to Peru, if you ever can, then you should! Its an awesome country with so much to see and do. I think the most famous landmark (and that I think everyone has heard at least once) is Machu Picchu, which is just breathtaking.

And don’t get me started with the food. If you are Peruvian, automatically in your DNA you are a foodie … everything for us, is about food. Nowadays its considered one of the most exquisite cuisines and actually 1 of the top 5 restaurants in the world is in Lima, where I am from.

Peru was a Spanish colony, therefore our cuisine has a Spanish flare mixed with out native crops (when we were kids our parents will force us to eat quinoa ... now everyone wants it and its the "the must have" ingredient LOL :D); but we had as well lot of Chinese and Japanese immigration so this is reflected as well. We have amazing oriental inspired food and being on the Pacific coast seafood is a must for us. And if you have a sweet tooth … then Peru is your place!

Here some pictures of my favorites Peruvian dishes; hopefully someday (if you haven’t yet) you can try them:

g7cpr19wupsm.jpg

Well got to go .. decided to sit down and do plan what my meals will be this week, so to try to maximize my weight loss ... lets see how organized can I be :#

Until tomorrow my MFP friends; have a restful Sunday!
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    @happygirlxxx - I don't think I knew that you're from Peru, thanks for sharing that. The food looks absolutely delicious! A feast for the eyes, as well as the mouth - as food always should be. So how did you end up in Italy currently, and where else have you lived? How long are you typically at each location that you move to?

I'm originally from Germany (Hamburg), moved to NY (Long Island) with my family when I was 12, in 1967. My dad was a bit of a "rolling stone" and liked to chase after new experiences. That's really the only reason we (the family) made such a huge move. I seem to have inherited at least a tiny piece of his rolling stone gene as I've lived in many places: Manhattan, San Francisco, Boston, Vermont, and currently very rural upstate NY.

@bapcarrier and @b_lisieux, MFP will reset your daily calory allowance as you lose weight and as you enter the lower weight into your account or profile. It doesn't happen automatically! You have to change your weight in your MFP settings. It can be a bit of an eye opener to see your calory allotment go down! But it's also a very useful tool. When I started, MFP gave me 1800 calories to lose at a rate of 2lbs/week. Now I rate at that level is calories to maintain. But that's the whole point, right? No one should be eating 4000 calories every day, which is probably what I was doing in my old life.

Sunday share: hubby and I love you camp. For us there are two seasons to every year: camping season and not camping season. Sadly, camping season for 2017 has come to an end. All these years we used tents. But we're in our sixties now and sleeping on the ground is just not as much fun as it used to be. So this past year we acquired a very very used 26 year old pop-up camper, and we discovered that we love this new type of camping. BUT... largely due to the age of this popup, it really takes two people to set up, and it's a lot of work! Every bit as much work as pitching the tent, etc. And give had a stroke a few years ago, still can't be of quite as much assistance in the set-up process that I kind of bed him to be. Sooo... we're considering upgrading our camper deal for next season. Spent yesterday at an RV show and saw small "travel trailers" that require virtually zero set-up that are fairly affordable and are just exactly the right size for hubby and me and the dog. And there's a toilet, so there's THAT!

Hmmm... the way the survive not-camping-season is to think about, and plan for, next year's camping season lololol. We haven't committed to anything cuz then the hunt would be over, and the hunt and the research is 80pct of the fun. Plus, the hunt alone is a lot cheaper than the commitment, lol.

@babcarrier, so glad tracking your NLSs are working for you and hope that you were strong enough to withstand "the call" last night. I understand, believe me!
  • bapcarrier
    edited October 2017
    Options
    1st item: I DID NOT SNACK LAST NIGHT! Yea!

@happygirlxxx I didn't know you were from Peru either, so if you ever mentioned it, it must have been quite a while ago. :) It was very interesting, thanks for sharing the info about the culture and food. I loved the pictures, if you get the chance could you explain exactly what they are?

I just came in from working outside, after most of the clean up was completed from Irma I realized that our flower gardens are in need of an overhaul. When I say our, I probably should share that I live in my sister's home (long story, I'll share some other time). She and her husband live in northern New York State from June to January and here in FL from January to sometime in May. She isn't here for summers and she loves to garden so she put in a lot of things that go wild in the Florida summer climate. It is hard for me to garden in the summer, high temperatures and high humidity don't work well for me! Then she wasn't able to come down last winter so like I mentioned the gardens need work, lots of work. I was out there 45 minutes yesterday and 45 this AM and all I have cleared out is about a 12 by 4 foot section. It may be a work in progress for a while! :) Since I'm not home Monday thru Thursday that leaves me Saturdays and Sundays to get it done. (Fridays I reserve for my errands, shopping, lunch or dinner with friends, etc.) Thank goodness these gardens are in the back of the house and out of view of the general public. I have kept the ones is the front of the house in relatively good shape. Three gardens in front, 4 in back!

Now you would think that with working in the garden, raking, weeding, shoveling dirt, and then watching my calories, and no NLS that my weight would be going down, down, down, but alas this AM I was up 2 pounds! Go figure, I hope it was just an anomaly and by Wednesday it will be back down lower than last week.

@birgitkwood thanks for the info on MPF and lowering the calories. I've lost over 50 pounds and mine hasn't changed, but since it's already very low maybe it won't until I reach closer to 100. Yes, I do update my weight. You mean in the "check in" section, right? I'm set up for 1200 calories and always have been. I try to keep it between 1000 and 1200 daily. I've shrunk with age - a whopping 2 1/2 inches down to 5'3" from 5'5 1/2"! I also put in that I was normally sedentary. Those two things plus my age must have contributed to only being able to consume 1200 daily to lose weight. My activity level has increased as I lose and feel better so some days if I want, I can eat a higher number of calories although I try not to. I look with envy at the people (like you) that mention being able to eat 1800 or more calories, once someone said they were set at 2300 or so!!! Of course I know they are either taller, younger, more active or all three but a person can dream can't she. LOL Good luck on your camper search! I love northern New York in the summer and fall.
  • tdunnegan
    Options
    Sunday share - I am 62, married with 3 kids and 3 grand children. I am a construction project manager for uran schools. For 15 years I was a manager and even had a corner office as president of a non profit. Now, 38 year career, I work out of a trailer at a construction site. I LOVE it!! My job is paper and keeping job on schedule, dealing with budget and handling owner and contractor issues. So I get a bit of everyhing, which I like. But best of all is that I get outside a lot. Less meetinvs, more action. More moving around..
    . climb 5 stories to roof couple times a week

I have a 23 year old who is home and struggling with a variety of personal issues. He's in therapy. Works when he wants. Big concern. Occupies a good deal of my "worry time" drastic steps being considered. So a big stresser and one that drives me to junk food frequently.

Two others are solid -- thank God

We all have our challenges...this one is mine!!

• b_lisieux
    Options
    @birgitkwood thanks for the explanation about whether calories lower as you lose with MFP. My calories are set to 1450. I do enter my weight each week in the check-in section so I guess I will just wait for MFP to tell me to change something. I'm just starting my journey basically, only down 10.3 so far but was just wondering how long it stays at 1450. Most days I am under that, but I set it to lose 1.5 per week so I had some leeway. @Nikion I saved the turtle picture with the saying. One of these days I just might use it as my "photo". @happygirlxxx I have not been to Peru but my granddaughter was (school trip) and she came back loving Machu Picchu and her favorite food was Aji de Gallina, which I have made for her. The foods you posted look wonderful!

Ok....Sunday share.......I am new here, have only been doing MFP for 4 or 5 weeks. My name is Margie and I am 70 years old. I live in a suburb of Cincinnati, OH but am originally from New York City. We moved here many years ago. My husband is from here. I have travelled a good part of the world. My love of travel started when I was 18 and got a job with an airline. I have two grown daughters and three beautiful granddaughters, 2 of which are in college and the last one is a senior in high school. In May, we will be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary! I come from an Italian heritage and food was always a big part of our lives. My grandmother would tell me to eat cake or ice cream as a kid because it was good for you....what's not good with milk/cream and eggs in it, right? You get the picture. Then there was my mother...the same excellent cook and baker as my grandmother. I learned from the best and continued on just as they did. The pounds came on slowly and here I am and at my age isn't as easy to take off as it used to be. Add to that that my knees are shot and I don't get much in the line of exercise. I did find some seated exercises online that I have been trying to start. My health is good other than that so I want to do what I can to keep it that way, hence trying MFP. I had done Weight Watchers and did their "Core" (now called "Simply Filling") program where you can eat without counting anything, as long as you eat off a very extensive list of foods. Anything other than that, you had to count "points" for, using your weekly allotment. The trick was to not stuff yourself, only to "eat to satisfaction" and they never wanted you hungry. If you were, you chose something from the list if you didn't want to use points. Well, since starting MFP, just for fun, I entered what I'd eat on WW, to see how many calories my days would add up to and I was beyond shocked. As easy as that plan was, you really had no idea how many calories you were consuming. So far I find MFP freeing, meaning so far I eat anything I want, not from a list, as long as I enter it in my journal. I originally thought I'd hate keeping track of everything but so far, it's been a learning experience and it's not hard to do. I hope as the journey continues, I still feel like that. I love reading everyone's posts as it's constant motivation and support. Just like that little turtle picture shows that @Nikion901 posted for me to see, it's slow but as long as it's forward, that's what counts. Here's hoping they keep me at the 1450 for the long haul as it works for me with the many many social events we have. We have a huge extended family and there is almost always a party to go to and of course, everything revolves around food. I try not to get down about that but there just are times that I want to say no...I don't want to go to that party, just to avoid the foods. That's not life though, it's my problem, not theirs. There will always be stumbling blocks. The trick for me is not to let it derail my efforts the next day or my spirit of commitment! Ok, this post is way too long. Have a great Sunday everyone!