6. Oct. 25:
    7. Nov. 1:
    8. Nov. 8:
    9. Nov. 15:
    Final Weigh in: Nov. 18:

Weight -/+ this week: +3.6
    Total weight -/+ this challenge: +7.2
    Total overall weight lost - 43 lbs

Wow am I bummed. I've never gained that much weight in a week. Same scale. Same day. Same time of day. Similar clothing. Overwhelming.

I know what to do.. That's the good thing about this thread... one has to face the music.
  • 30prospect
    30prospect Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Goals are relevant when one feels somewhat able to lose weight. What if I seem to gain weight even while eating less? And sort of giving up. My doctor just gave me a new prescription for higher dose of thyroid. But I wonder if it makes a difference. I can only think of skipping supper altogether.... I charted carefully on MOP and saw it tell me how much weight I would lose, but the scales disagreed.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    30prospect wrote: »
    Goals are relevant when one feels somewhat able to lose weight. What if I seem to gain weight even while eating less? And sort of giving up. ...

@30prospect ... I understand your frustration. Just a couple of thoughts ... 1 ... have you taken a look at the type of food you are eating? and ... 2 ... have you tried increasing your activity levels.

... For me now, maintaining 3 no higher than 3 pounds is my goal. In the past, it was not uncommon for me to gain 3 pounds the next day after eating the exact same meal for 4 days. Thanks for keeping my spirits up! I'd like to know what you think your calorie, fat, sodium, and carb intake should be using fitness pal.

@LowCarbOR55 ... Thanks. I'm glad this forum is helping you. Most of us have had the same reaction as you ... wondering why we gained when we expected we would at least stay the same. I found, in my own history, that it is not only how much I'm eating, but also what kind of food.

@verybusybee ... How'd you make out on last weeks goal of staying at calories? My week wasn't as good as the one before was and it showed on my scale ... I knew I should not have opened up that package of raisins!
  • jennordhavn
    jennordhavn Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    FALL CHALLENGE

Name: Jenn
    Height: 5' 4"

Start Weight (as of Sept. 16th): 303.8
    Goal Weight (for Nov. 18th): 290.6

Weigh in Weeks (listed by Wednesdays)

1. Sept. 20: 303.8
    2. Sept. 27: 303.8
    3. Oct. 4: 304.2
    4. Oct. 11: 300.6
    5. Oct. 18: 301.6 (TOM)
    6. Oct. 25:
    7. Nov. 1:
    8. Nov. 8:
    9. Nov. 15:

Weight -/+ this week: +1
    Total weight -/+ this challenge: -2.2
    Total overall weight lost so far: -9

I feel like I did well last week and I'm pretty sure I was retaining water at WI due to TOM. So I guess we'll find out next week. I'm going to stick to what I've been doing (lower carbs and monitoring calories) and I'll reevaluate if it doesn't seem to be working.
  • 30prospect
    30prospect Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nikion. Eating healthy except two portions of chicken and brown rice fir supper. Going to gym for long workout and treadmill 4 times a week. Doing all the obvious and 25 lbs up in last 18 months
  • tdunnegan
    tdunnegan Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    @30prospect. Thyroid can really be tough with weight. My sister struggles with this too. She actually changed doctors and had better results. Second opinions can be helpful, even if only to affirm your current doctors approach.

Another thought is exercise. I learned that after a while the same routine can become ineffective. If you've been doing the same routine for a while maybe you can switch it up. Is there an elliptical? Maybe adding some weights so you build muscle which then burns calories even after youre done with your routine

I work with a nutritionist who out my food types at
    Carbs. 45%
    Fat 25%
    Protein 30%

My lack of success recently is because I haven't been tracking. I log everything I eat. And I do it before each meal so I can stay within my targets

It works.... when I do it!

Hang in there. Looking forward to your posts

• Birdygirl15
    Birdygirl15 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    FALL CHALLENGE

Name: Linda
    Height: 5ft 2ins

Start Weight (as of Sept. 16th): 294lbs
    Goal Weight (for Nov. 18th): 276lbs

1. Sept. 20: 291.5
    2. Sept. 27: 291
    3. Oct. 4: 291
    4. Oct. 11: 288
    5. Oct. 18: 287
    6. Oct. 25:
    7. Nov. 1:
    8. Nov. 8:
    9. Nov. 15:

Weight -/+ this week: -1lbs
    Total weight -/+ this challenge: -7lbs
    Total overall weight lost so far: 35lbs since February '17

Very brief, I'm dashing off for a few days.

I have had lower weights on the scales this week, but have been up and down a few pounds. After my trip, chances of a loss next week are small :-). Hope everyone is well and keeping positive, I am so far behind on posts I'm not sure I'll ever catch up! Take care, all.
  • bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 209 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    FALL CHALLENGE

Name: Barb
    Height: 5'3"

Start Weight (as of Sept. 16th): 209.6
    Goal Weight (for Nov. 18th): 199.6

1. Sept. 20: 207.2
    2. Sept. 27: 204.8
    3. Oct. 4: 204.4
    4. Oct. 11: 201.8
    5. Oct. 18: 202.4 Birthday :(
    6. Oct. 25:
    7. Nov. 1:
    8. Nov. 8:
    9. Nov. 15:

Weight -/+ this week: +.6
    Total weight -/+ this challenge: -7.2
    Total overall weight lost so far: -55.6

Well, oops is all I can say. Overeating on my birthday followed by a couple more days of over my calories and yup, I gained. Hopefully back on track now.

I'm going to hold off a day on posting the weekly Fall Challenge results because several people have not posted for this week yet! Look for results either late tonight or tomorrow. We're missing at least a dozen or more challenge posts for this week! Remember folks, even if it's a gain you still need to fess up and post your results. That's what makes this a "Challenge". :)
  • cedar2526
    cedar2526 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    FALL CHALLENGE

Name: Jackie
    Height: 5'4"

Start Weight (as of Sept. 16th): 252
    Goal Weight (for Nov. 18th): 240

1. Sept. 20: 252
    2. Sept. 27: 251
    3. Oct. 4: 251
    4. Oct. 11: 250.5
    5. Oct. 18: 250.5
    6. Oct. 25:
    7. Nov. 1:
    8. Nov. 8:
    9. Nov. 15:

Weight -/+ this week: 0
    Total weight -/+ this challenge: 1.5

Total weight loss so far - 14.5 LBS

It sure is hard to stay motivated when the scales don't move. I did walk 3 times this week, not my goal of 4 times, but still better than I have done in a long time.
  • verybusybee
    verybusybee Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 Thanks for asking. I stayed everyday under my calories goals on MFP. I am still struggling with staying below my fat amount and actually not using any calories I burn during exercise. Those goals will be added in weeks to come. I have lost almost a pound but again I have lost a few inches and that is a success to me. I am also doing research and preparing to try KETO so that will help with the fat gram issues. Although then carbs become an issue but we will see. Its a process.

@30prospect I don't have Thyroid Issues but I went through a time when I was eating right and exercising and gaining 3 to 4lbs a week. Turned out I had Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It effect the amount of carbs and sugars my body can break down. The medication for it is a diabetic medication but I do not have diabetes just yet. Maybe you should explore this option with your doctor as well.
  • lksmeeton
    lksmeeton Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    FALL CHALLENGE

Name: LaDana
    Height: 5' 2"

Start Weight (as of Sept. 16th):271
    Goal Weight (for Nov. 18th): 260

1. Sept. 20: 270
    2. Sept. 27: 270
    3. Oct. 4: 269
    4. Oct. 11: 268
    5. Oct. 18: 271
    7. Oct. 25:
    8. Nov. 1:
    9. Nov. 8:
    10. Nov. 15:

Weight -/+ this week: +3
    Total weight -/+ this challenge: 0
    Total overall weight lost so far: 32
  • jam5660
    jam5660 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    @verybusybee and @30prospect I too went to Dr. For suspected thyroid issuse, was put on low dose of meds but didnt do much(wasn't trying at that time either because I was soo exhausted) after about 2 months Dr said I bet this is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, gave me some tests but nothing really showed up, but she gave me the lowest dose of metformin, because she said I was probably insulin resistant,(one of the symptoms of PCOS) so would go diabetic if I didnt do something. And Tada!! I feel so normal and as long as I do this thing right, I do lose!! Its always worth asking about, because PCOS and thyroid are all part of the same system, so you may have one, the other, or both! Now that I have my insulin resistance treated my thyroid numbers are normal!
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    @bapcarrier sorry I will miss this weigh-in .. my day started upside down ... my lab was sleeping and my older yorkie who is almost blind tripped with him and the reaction of the lab was to bit him ...

So as you can imagine today was a mess and didn't weigh-in at all ... had to take one dog to the vet and the other is in time out and my husband is not too happy with him ... he actually wanted to give him away which I think it's a bit harsh ... I just think we need to get a trainer for him. So basically dieting and weigh-in was the last thing on my mind :/

Anyway ... hope everyone if having a god week!
  • Nikion901
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @verybusybee , @30prospect , and @jam5660 ... I wonder how many of us women who are on here have PCO or PCOS in common with one another? There are about 5-10% of women, nationally, who have it. We have come far in the past 50 or 60 years as back in 'my day' it wasn't a condition that had a name beyond 'hormone imbalance' or 'cystic ovaries' and no treatment was prescribed.

I am one of the lucky women with this condition who did go on and have 1 successful pregnancy so I'm grateful to be a mom. I'm also lucky in that my facial features did not alter overly much except for the excess hair ... and there again I was lucky because my hair was so fine and light that it didn't give me a dark beard or mustache ... but my mom did have to punish me because I still took a raiser to my cheeks and chin and my arms when I was a teen. ... and I won't bring up the menstrual irregularity and severe pain with each occasional mensus as it's still too painful to think about, :)

But it wasn't until I had been overweight for about 10 years that I was diagnosed with insulin instability, and later it did develop into Type 2 diabetes ... I always felt it was my own fault that I got to that point ... Type 2, I mean ... because I was never successful enough at losing weight back to my normal range. I'm still struggling with that today. At least I can feel a little better now, knowing that it wasn't 'all' my fault. But that doesn't help me to lose weight either!

PS --- I think this must be my "Thursday Share"
  • kbaus1010
    kbaus1010 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

So I know we are doing a Fall Challenge right now - when it ends will we start a Winter Challenge? I really like having a little accountability to weigh in weekly and see how everybody else is doing. It's nice to have some likeminded people to be in touch with :smile:

Also - Halloween is quickly approaching......any pointers on keeping hands out of the candy buckets???? Besides impeccable self control :wink:
  • Nikion901
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

So I know we are doing a Fall Challenge right now - when it ends will we start a Winter Challenge? I really like having a little accountability to weigh in weekly and see how everybody else is doing. It's nice to have some likeminded people to be in touch with :smile:

Also - Halloween is quickly approaching......any pointers on keeping hands out of the candy buckets???? Besides impeccable self control :wink:

Only thing I can suggest about Halloween is not to bring any candy into the house! If you have kids who like to participate in the fun, maybe your local town, stores, malls have a Halloween event ... or a commercial one. We do in my area and it's become such that kids no longer trick or treat in my neighborhood at all. It's much safer for the kids, and much better for my health! ... ...PS ... now I'm on 'memory lane' and want to share this with you ...
    A number of years ago, when the kids still came calling to ring the door bell and shout out the greeting ... I would give them a choice of what to have as their treat ... a piece of fruit or a coin. It was really funny, cause the littlest kids would want to grab a handful or dimes, but the older kids all wanted the oranges and bananas!
  • anneshields001
    anneshields001 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    FALL CHALLENGE

Start Weight (as of Sept. 27) 232.4
    Goal Weight (for Nov. 18th): 220

2. Sept. 27: 232.4
    3. Oct. 4: 227.8 (amazing what drinking extra water can do!)
    4. Oct. 11: 226.6
    5. Oct. 18: 226.2
    6. Oct. 25:
    7. Nov. 1:
    8. Nov. 8:
    9. Nov. 15:

Weight -/+ this week: .4
    Total weight -/+ this challenge: 6.2
  • b_lisieux
    b_lisieux Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @verybusybee Way to go giving up soda! May you continue to meet that goal!
    @barneyrubbleMD Wow....what a terrific overall weight loss. Congrats!
    @30prospect I don't pretend to know much about thyroid or PCOS issues but I would say you might consider a 2nd opinion. Giving up supper or meals is not healthy. It could be the kinds of food you are eating, too many carbs (the wrong ones)...who know but it warrants more medical investigation.
    @birdygirl15 Have a wonderful trip. I hear you about what the scale will say when you get back. I'll face the exact same problem next week when I leave for 4 days.
    @bapcarrier I don't know much about the Fall Challenge and my WI day is Friday, not Wednesdays so I've never posted anything since I didn't know what to even do. I started MFP in mid to late August so I'm way behind everyone else.
    @RobinB0812 I have the same issues as you with back and my knees. Way to go on your walk and the steps! Your pictures were very nice!

No Thursday Truth really....I am fully prepared to show a gain this week (my WI is Friday) after my big social calendar this past week. And next week will be a total disaster I'm afraid....going away for 4 days.

Have a great day everyone!!
  • newjax2017
    newjax2017 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    FALL CHALLENGE

Name: Jo
    Height:161 cm

Start Weight (as of Sept. 16th):167.6
    Goal Weight (for Nov. 18th): 158.6

1. Sept. 20: 165.5
    2. Sept. 27: 164.3
    3. Oct. 4: 170.6
    4. Oct. 11: 165.3
    5. Oct. 18: 164.3
    6. Oct. 25:
    7. Nov. 1:
    8. Nov. 8:
    9. Nov. 15:

Weight -/+ this week:...................-1
    Total weight -/+ this challenge:....-3.3
    Total overall weight lost so far:......-68.5

I'm not doing great on this challenge.
    I think I'm getting tired of dieting. and there is no way in heck I'm giving up!!!
    I must shake things up.

@Barb, sorry I'm late posting, I'm just so frazzled, I haven't even read other posts.
    I'll try to read through now!

Good luck to all the people here, on your road to a better, healthier life <3<3<3