Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen ... That must have been a superior view from your photo vantage point! Looks great in the photo. Riley must have really enjoyed it; I know my Buster Brown always did when we went for hikes in nature.

Update on the elevator .. it finally got fixed the other day .. just 31 days after it went down. I hope it doesn't break again. Funny thing though ... this morning I woke up to no water! There was a note stuck by our apartment doors to tell us there had been a main water line break in the middle of the night in the property basement and an emergency repair crew had been called. This was a much faster response and out water was back on by 9AM, thank goodness! ...

Today is a food logging day. I had a really big breakfast and hope it holds me at least 4 hours because I have things to do! ... Today's big breakfast was actually consumed as an early lunch (considering that many working people have lunch scheduled for as early as 11:30 AM and that's about the time my meal was ready ... This is a good one for any meal ... Whole Wheat Breakfast Burrito ... a large tortilla wrap warmed in a skillet and stuffed with scrambled eggs, heat n serve breakfast sausage, American Cheese .. then rolled into a Burrito and toasted on both sides. Ymmm ... All I needed to improve on it would have been to skip one of the proteins and go for something like tomato or peppers. Next time.

Today is actually the last full day of summer everyone. Autumn arrives around 9 PM Eastern Time in the USA.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    @nsk1951
    Sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope you are able to get the medications under control and back to a regular routine soon.

I am so glad to hear the elevator was fixed. That is fantastic news. Sorry to hear about the water being out but I am glad that was rectified quickly.

I love spaghetti squash. I have a hard time replacing vegetables for pasta. One thing I like to do with it is make it with garlic, onion, tomatoes and spinach. I used to do some kind of sauce on it. Either a white wine, olive oil or butter based. I don't know how I would dress it now considering I am avoiding all those things for my own health issues.

The temperature just dropped here too. My husband was dancing around earlier singing "It's finally getting cold. It's finally getting cold." LOL I always have a hard time transitioning from the warmer months to the colder months.

@ mnwalkingqueen
    I love the picture! You look great! You also have such beautiful scenery!!! I am a bit envious.
    That squash risotto sounds delicious.

As for me, the program I teach in started up this week so I am back to work. Half my students don't start for another few weeks. So far it has been an interesting start with lots of ups and downs. I have been really good at weighing and logging all of my foods. I've been sticking with my strength training routine mixed in with cardio. My goal is to finish the month out then October 1st I will increase the weights I use to 5lbs. I'm currently using 3 lbs. I do have to say, even with the lower amount of weight I am really feeling it. It's a good feeling though. My muscles are tired and feel worked but I always feel strong and energized after I complete my routine. I am proud of myself!
  • jjlbrick
    jjlbrick Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don’t have 100lbs to lose but I didn’t find a group for 90.
    I lost nearly 60lbs on this in 2020. Kind of lost my way. I gained 58 back.
    July 1 2022 I weighed myself nearly fainted.
    In my entire life I’ve never had high blood pressure I do now. My doctor wants me to take drugs.
    My mother took them they were horrible.
    I’ve lost 19.8 lbs since July 1.
    September 10 my throat got sore allergies, the 11th I coughed allergies and smoke from wildfires. The 12th I called my job I’ve been way sicker than this and gone to work but that was before Covid. In a little town they had a test I took it I was negative.
    The 14th my husband started coughing, the 17th we both tested positive for Covid. We can smell and taste, but the fatigue is bad I’ve never had a fever. My daily exercise has been really cut back in time and intensity.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Saturday check in ...
    First Saturday in Autumn 2022
    Last Saturday in September 2022
    First DAY I had to wear a hat and gloves outdoors in the Fall of 2022. It was early, and I have Raynaud's in my hands. When I got back from running my early morning errand I sat outside on the bench soaking up the morning sun for a while. The mailman arrived and he was wearing SHORTS! We both did a bit of a double-take on one another.

I had a 2.5 pound weight loss this week and I KNOW it is excess fluid trying to leave my body, not a true fat weight loss. Still, it feels so good to feel lighter and breath easier. And, as long as the scale keeps going in the downward trend I'll be happy ... each tick down the chart brings me that step closer to where I am going.

@jjlbrick , welcome to the thread and I do hope you'll find us again. Bookmark us so you can find us easily and stop by as often as you like to chat with us. I think most of us have 'been there, done that' when it comes to losing and then regaining ... it's very interesting to me that we (humans in general) don't seem to make permanent lifestyle and food preference changes necessary to maintain a body image we prefer. It's so easy to get derailed and let it slide until we have cold water tossed in our faces when we realize, sometimes desperately, that things have gotten out of our control, again! ... I can remember lamenting to my primary care physician one year at my second semi-annual visit with him that in the period between visits I had lost 17 pounds, but was again the same weight as I had been at the prevous appointment. I wouldn't have been so upset if it had been 5 pounds, but 17 was a lot of hard work that seemed to have gone 'down the drain'. Still .. when I started on here, I had 60 pounds more to lose than I do today. That is something I can be pleased about.

@JNettie73 ... how do you prepare Spaghetti squash properly? The one I got last week in my farm share bag came out very soft, mushy, watery; with no strands like I expected. I had cut it in half and removed the seeds and baked the halves cut side down on parchment paper until I could pierce it with a sharp knife point. It tasted like well cooked zucchini to me. Now .. what I DID like were the seeds. I had picked all of them out of the membrane and rinsed them well. Then I tossed them in a tiny bit of oil and sprinkled them with a tiny bit of salt and put them in between the halves of squash to bake. They turned brown and crispy and were 'oh so good' as snacks for the next few days. I'd be tempted to get another one just for these seeds!.

@mnwalkingqueen ... that's exactly what I have practiced long enough that is is natural and easy now ... only eating when I am hungry. Of course, it's much easier; for me, to do before I have my first meal. Once I have eaten and hormones get activated, I might find myself 'hungry' again in less than 60 minutes to as long as 5 hours depending on what was in that last meal! ... Still working on that part ... getting the right balance and amount of food to keep me satisfied for about 4 hours at a time. Good luck. Share what techniques have been working for you regarding that focus. For me, one of my favorite long-lasting meals is a couple of medium eggs with a medium potato, a couple links of breakfast sausage, a serving of any vegetable or fruit and a glass of water really holds me well. It's a lot of food, calorie wise even though it all fits quite comfortably on a standard 9" dinner plate. It must be the protein and fat in the ingredients that holds me so well.

I made a small meatloaf yesterday and had a 4-ounce serving of it with green beans and a baked potato with some EVOO instead of butter. I was surprised that I had eaten it at 5 PM and it is now 18 hours later and I am still not hungry.

Have a good week everyone. I hope your weather is good where you are. There have been bad storms in various parts of our world, hope you were all safe if any happened where you are.
    Nikki

• mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    jjlbrick wrote: »
    I don’t have 100lbs to lose but I didn’t find a group for 90.
    I lost nearly 60lbs on this in 2020. Kind of lost my way. I gained 58 back.
    July 1 2022 I weighed myself nearly fainted.
    In my entire life I’ve never had high blood pressure I do now. My doctor wants me to take drugs.
    My mother took them they were horrible.
    I’ve lost 19.8 lbs since July 1.
    September 10 my throat got sore allergies, the 11th I coughed allergies and smoke from wildfires. The 12th I called my job I’ve been way sicker than this and gone to work but that was before Covid. In a little town they had a test I took it I was negative.
    The 14th my husband started coughing, the 17th we both tested positive for Covid. We can smell and taste, but the fatigue is bad I’ve never had a fever. My daily exercise has been really cut back in time and intensity.
    I hope you feel better and that the Covid goes away. I got Covid about a month or so ago and I was the same way. I was just very tired all the time for like three or four days it did linger for like a few additional days.
    I’ve tried three different types of high blood pressure medication. I was the same way. My blood pressure has always been good until my dad passed away in 2019 and I think of all the stress of dealing with my mentally unhealthy mother and my poor, eating habits caught up to me, however I literally just told the doctor that I don’t care how high my blood pressure is right now I’m not going back on any medication because I didn’t like any of the way that they made me feel. One medication they put me on constantly had me peeing like three times an hour, the other medication you can’t be out in the sun. Well, I live in Minnesota and I live for the summer. I broke out in hives and a rash because I couldn’t follow the directions, the last medication I took my ankles and feet swell so bad I had to buy all new shoes because I couldn’t fit into the ones I was wearing before. I haven’t checked my blood pressure recently, but if I do need to go back on a medication, I think I’m going to go to an all natural herb. We have a great shop here in Minneapolis that has all kinds of natural remedies and I might try something like that however, don’t follow my advice I’m not a doctor I don’t know your health conditions for me I just don’t wanna be pumped full of drugs.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    @jjlbrick- Welcome to the group.
    @nsk1951- the view from our photo was spectacular. We were on the top of the bluff. Of course Riley had fun he loves going out and doing new adventures. It was a struggle for his human though. I didn’t know that I had to climb so many rocks, my ankles and knees were a little bit sore. I would also be curious to know about cooking the squash. I have never tried before because in my head I couldn’t figure out how you would get a knife through such a thick thing, but I guess it’s kind a like a pumpkin when it comes to cutting anyway.
    @JNettie73- I think your husband doing the happy dance is what has made it 39° here in Minnesota in the morning. Lol I just wanna cry I am not ready for hats, mittens, and winter coats yet I actually ordered a headlamp because it’s really super dark here when we go walking in the morning, I mean I guess that’s what happens when you go walking at 5:45 in the morning lol

AFM-
    Riley‘s dog psychologist who helped with all of his dog issues, invited us to be part of the fall festival booth this past weekend. He did such a great job, and he loved all the pets and attention and the sniffs. I guess it’s kudos to me, because when you have a dog with behavioral issues is retraining, the human, not the dog the human got the dog that way, lol well, at least that’s what Cesar Millan says! However, I did meet the cutest dog that is up for adoption and she loved Riley. She kept licking his face and he totally just let her do it and didn’t get mad. I hope she gets adopted soon, so I don’t feel the need to adopt her. I realize I am more of a one person dog then multiple dogs even though we have fostered a couple of dogs it’s always nice when they’re gone, I will definitely keep you in the loop on how only eating when I’m hungry goes this week has been really busy. I have eaten out three times already. I no longer wonder why the scale says what it does. However, I will say as much crap and junk that I have ate in the last month. I’m shocked that my weight hasn’t went up. I better count my blessings for sure.
  • JNettie73
    Options
    @jjlbrick
    Welcome to the group!
    I had Covid in August. It sucked all my energy from me. It took me a while to feel like myself again.

@nsk1951
    Congrats on your loss!
    I prepare my spaghetti squash the same way. I've had some moments where it came out like yours. My only suggestion would be to cut down on the cooking time a bit.
    I do the same thing with the seeds! I just roasted butternut squash seeds earlier in the week.

@mnwalkingqueen
    Sorry to hear about your blood pressure. I don't blame you, I wouldn't want to go on the medication either if it was effecting me like that.
    My husband would love your temperatures! So glad to hear Riley did well, that is fantastic.

As for me, nothing new and exciting here. We had a busy weekend with back to school events and family visits. My eating wasn't the best because I had to eat what was served but my glucose numbers were able to stay in a good range.
  • JNettie73
    Options
    Does anyone in here pay for premium membership? If so, do you feel it is worth it?
    I read today that as of October 1st the free version of MFP will no longer have the bar scan for food and will only be available with the premium membership. I looked further into and discovered they are giving 50% off if we upgrade to premium, though is still costly IMO. I looked into the features that come with a premium membership and I am not sure if spending that money is worth it. I asked in my feed to see if any of my friends on here have premium but no one responded. I would love some input. Thanks!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    @JNettie73- I don’t pay for premium but I think that’s kind of crazy that you would have to pay to get the barcode scanner thing. I also haven’t been counting calories now that I am working on only eating when I’m hungry which is probably why I haven’t lost any weight in a month.
    I had an epiphany today. I realize that when I’m sick I love to eat more than when I’m healthy. I think I might got Covid again I am going to go buy a test tomorrow and make sure I tested negative on Tuesday but I feel like garbage. you know I had a person here working on my appliances this week who had pneumonia he was wearing a mask but he was coughing a lot. I hope I didn’t catch that. I also think it’s pretty crappy that his boss would make him work when he has that.
  • JNettie73
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen
    I feel the same about having to pay for it. Especially since it's not a feature that I don't regularly use. The more I think about it, the more I feel the premium version at this point in time would not be worth it for me.

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I hope it's not Covid or anything serious and you are back to yourself in no time!
  • JNettie73
    Options
    Good morning and Happy October!

I've been looking forward to today because new month means new goals.

My goals for this month.
    • Weigh and log all my food
    • Increase weights for strength training from 3lb to 5 lbs
    • Continue to work on improving my tolerance for step aerobics working up to doing at least 45 minutes on level 2.
    • Focus on my water consumption.
    • Clean out my art/workout room and move the dvd player in.

My last goal I have been wanting to do for a while. My husband bought me some exercise dvds for Christmas. My plans on using them were derailed when my mom was hospitalized and passed away. I've been putting off cleaning that room because a lot of what needs to be organized was stuff I brought here from cleaning out my mom's house. Once I clean out the room I will bring in my dvd player then I will be able to incorporate some new exercises into my routine. I will see how the month goes and focus on step aerobics. I think next month I will focus on using my exercise dvds.

In regards to step aerobics, I recently moved my step from level one to level two. Level two is a higher step and increases the intensity of my workout. It is challenging but I really enjoy it. Right now I am building up to being able to do 30 minutes low impact on the step. I always do an hour of cardio a day as cardio helps me keep my glucose levels down. I've been doing step aerobics first then finishing the rest of my hour with my bike. Ideally I would like to increase my tolerance for it and eventually move to rotating my cardio - one day step aerobics the next bike.

My last goal I have is not exercise/ health related. I need to get my green house setup. I have to start prepping my plants for coming back inside and the rest for the greenhouse.

Does anyone else have any goal for the month?
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Welcome October!

Starting weight 225 (ouch!) That's too much for these 77+year bones to carry! Ouch my aching knees and back!

Goal for the month ... weigh less than today! (nuff said!)
    ... Why do I want to lose weight this month? ... because I've been yo-yoing up/down the same couple of pounds and that has to stop!
    ... How am I going to achieve that goal? ...
    ...1...Plan on eating 3 times a day during daylight hours only!
    ...2...Walk more every day, by walking the hallways in this apartment building on days that I cannot walk outdoors or have not participated in an exercise program that day.
    ...3...Stop accepting free candy put into the community room by a friendly neighbor.
    ...4... Be more active during each day by doing more cleaning of any kind in the apartment. Sparkle and Shine is the goal on how every surface looks. No clutter anywhere. Laundry up to date all the time.

What I'm happy about from September ...
    ...1... Had a cardiologist take a good look at my heart function so now I know where I stand and also what activities are ok to do.
    ...2... Met a lot more neighbors and was able to socialize a lot more than before. Felt great to be in the company of other people and engaged in some interesting conversations that didn't revolve around negative issues.
    ...3... The elevator got fixed. The new maintenance man got hired and is doing a great job around here.
    ...4 ... Joined a Hatha Yoga class at the Sr Center that allows me to do most of the positions while seated.
    ...5...Got my hair trimmed! I've been cutting it myself since 2020!

@JNettie73 and @mnwalkingqueen ... I was a member a few years ago (under a different profile), when the paid version first came out and I did join it. I miss some of the diary and meal logging features that were available with it, and I was very glad to not have advertising popping in. There were features that were related to exercise and linking that I didn't use. In the end, when I came back, I decided that a trimmed down app was all I needed so I stayed with the free version.

Have a safe and happy October everyone.
    Nikki
  • JNettie73
    Options
    Starting weight: 270 March 2021
    Total loss to date: 58

October 2022 Start Weight: 212
    October Goal Weight: 208
    Ultimate Goal Weight: TBD

October 2: 211
    October 9:
    October 16:
    October 23:
    October 30:

I decided to pull up my MFP document I made that I track my stats on. I updated everything and set it up the document so I can record through December of 2023.

I am feeling good today. I was able to do 30 minutes of step aerobics yesterday and today. Yesterday was also strength training for me, I used my 5 lb weights. It was challenging towards the end. I woke up very stiff in my shoulders today but that has seemed to work out and I am fine. I am feeling very optimistic today. I am excited to discover what the future has for me.

@nsk1951
    It sounds like you have a great plan for October. I love how you reflected upon all the positives that September brought you. Congrats on the new hair cut!
  • jjlbrick
    jjlbrick Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    There are other things other than the food scanner on the paid version. But I’d sure like to find some one who is on it as well
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Saturday Update ...
    ... Well, I was up sick at my stomach all night so I am skipping the weigh-in this week. It 'feels' like I have stayed within my new-normal of maintaining instead of losing, based on how my body and clothes feel.

... There is a person on YouTube that I have been following for a number of years, actually from before her channel name change. She was my inspiration to keep at my own efforts during the years I was absent from MyFittnessPal. We have different approaches to our weight loss efforts. Neither once of us would like the other ones food choices! Both of us have been struggling during 2022. Neither of us can seem to stay with our program consistently lately. Both of us had had relapses of old eating patterns that we thought were behind us for good. Goes to show, the brain remembers even as the mind forgets.
    I hope both of us get back on the road that has less bumps and turns in it soon.

Have a good week everyone.
  • JNettie73
    Options
    Total loss to date: 60.8

October 9: 209.2
    October 16:
    October 23:
    October 30:

I am updating my stats because I feel it helps me with accountability. I've been working really hard and my stats are reflecting it. I am 1pound away from my lowest recorded MFP weight. Once I reach that I can start updating it through MFP to show up in my feed again. I can't believe I am only 9 lbs away from wonderland!!!! I am so excited to get there.

This weekend my bestie came over with her kids and spent the weekend with us. Her son is a month older than my daughter, her daughter is a few years younger. It was so great watching the three of them play! Today we took a ride out east and brought them to our favorite farm. We spent the day pumpkin picking and enjoying all the fun things at the farm. We left the house at 9 am and didn't get home until 7 pm. I have close to 15K steps just from the farm. It was my plan to do my workout tonight after dinner as I ate a lot of things off my plan today. Exercise helps keep my glucose in check. I never skip my workouts but I am exhausted. I am going to give myself a little slack tonight and skip. But tomorrow I am back on track.

I hope everyone had a good weekend. :)
  • JNettie73
    Options
    I forgot to add my NSV from yesterday. We visit the farm every year in October. In past years while my daughter played I had to sit on the benches and rest. This trip was very different. The only time I sat was when we took a break for lunch. I felt great! It was a really good feeling. I was also running around with the kids and didn't get winded.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Saturday Check-In

Weight: 223.6
    Goal: OnederLand
    Goal target date: the way it's going it'll be in my 79th year

What's going on? ... I am still 'maintaining' instead of losing. There is a reason for it and that reason is my own behavior and habits. Recently I've even taken to satisfying hunger pangs during my waking middle-of-the-night awake periods. ..

And then the 'parent in me' rushes in to tame the angst of the 'child in me' (yes, I'm into psycho-babble!). My thoughts immediately come up with this ... How much excess weight has been lost to date?... 58.4 pounds. How long did it take to lose that weight AND keep it off? ... about 10-14 years. How long did it take you to become that overweight during your 'gaining years'? About that long ... So! You are expecting weight to come off faster than it went on? (sounds like an incredulous questioning voice in my imagination!)

Thank goodness the 'present adult' in my has stepped up to the forum by the time I have thought through this mental chit-chat. I remind myself that both thoughts are valid. However, as observed, my habits are perhaps in need of a tune-up. What about trying to spend more time having fun cooking interesting and different recipes instead of spending the afternoon on the computer? Or adjusting the pattern of when I eat my meals to better fit the changing season?

Well .. I'll update you another time of what I did or didn't do about it all. The scale will tell!

Have a good week everyone. Heading out to the Farm for my share of produce. Last week for it is the first Saturday in November and then it will be all produce from the grocery store season again.

Nikki
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Down 116 since Feb.22 and feeling amazing! Feel free to add me. Love having mutually supportive friends.
  • JNettie73
    Options
    Total loss to date: 60.8

October 9: 209.2
    October 16: 209.4 (TOM)
    October 23:
    October 30:

Mid Month Goal Check In:
    • Weigh and log all my food - Doing great!
    • Increase weights for strength training from 3lb to 5 lbs - Done. I've been doing weights every other day with my 5 lb ones. It is going very well. My left arm isn't as muscular as my right. I've been doing extra reps on my left to help strengthen it. I am starting to see the results of that.
    • Continue to work on improving my tolerance for step aerobics working up to doing at least 45 minutes on level 2. - I've been doing 35 minutes of step level 2. It is a very challenging workout. I am not sure if I will get to 45 minutes by the end of the month but I am trying my best!
    • Focus on my water consumption. - This is MEH. Some days I do great while others I don't do as well. Clean out my art/workout room and move the dvd player in. - I have not started this yet. I was going to on Friday but I ran out of time and had to go get my daughter off the bus. I am planning on starting this sometime this week.

I've been doing really well with my eating and workouts. My glucose has been excellent too. I was just saying to my BFF today that I am looking forward to taking my monthly pictures and measurements November 1 and comparing them to previous ones. I am noticing a difference in my body and the way some of my old clothing is fitting me.

@nsk1951
    I love what you said about reflecting about how much you have lost, how long it took you and how long it took to put that weight on in the first place. I often find myself reflecting on my progress and thinking about what I can do differently.

You have a victory with being able to maintain rather than gaining. When I went through my slump my BFF told me the same thing. I stopped to think about it and she was absolutely correct.

@JaysFan82
    Congratulations on your loss. That is amazing!!! I will send you a friend request.